Hurricane Maria - Sept 2017

ATTENTION UK RESIDENTS: A MONSTER superstorm created from two hurricanes about to join forces in the Atlantic is now almost certain to hit Britain this weekend.

Weather models have changed in the past 24 hours putting the ferocious tempest on a direct collision course with the UK.

Swathes of the country are on alert for severe gales, travel chaos and power outages into the start of next week.

Latest models show Hurricane Maria, now returned to a Category 1, after momentarily weakening to a tropical storm, making a northeastward u-turn tomorrow before heading towards the North Atlantic.

Maria will collide with Lee – currently a category-3 hurricane – between now and Friday creating a huge and rapidly deepening storm system. Forecasters say a third low-pressure system discovered near Newfoundland could hitch a ride with Maria and Lee adding further vigour to the mix.

Torrential rain and gales are likely to set in on Sunday night.

Northwest Scotland and the west coast of England are braced for the biggest hit according to latest weather models. Gusts of between 60 and 70mph are likely to batter the worst-hit regions.

UK-weather-update-path-third-system-1078633.jpg

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img...-weather-update-path-third-system-1078633.jpg

UK-weather-storm-ensemble-models-1078622.jpg

GFS ensemble models show the two hurricanes smashing together then hitting Britain

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weath...dels-Met-Office-Hurricane-Maria-Hurricane-Lee

Hurricane Maria is pushing high surf over North Carolina's Outer Banks, where more than 10,000 visitors evacuated

59caab3379d31.image.jpg

More than 10,000 visitors were told to leave the North Carolina barrier islands of Hatteras and Ocracoke, but the evacuation orders didn't apply to local residents, who are now resigning themselves to economic losses as well as more flood damage after a double pounding by last year's tropical weather.

Maria is predicted to erode more than half the dunes along North Carolina's 300-mile (485-kilometer) coast. Beaches in Maryland and Virginia could fare even worse, with two-thirds seeing erosion and the ocean washing over the dunes on one-third of them.

Hurricane Lee, meanwhile, was gradually strengthening far off in the open Atlantic, where it was expected to swing north and east again before tropical storm-force winds reach Bermuda.

http://www.richmond.com/ap/state/hu...cle_bc3d2e57-da59-5f31-8ee3-9411c64283ae.html

ATTENTION UK RESIDENTS: A MONSTER superstorm created from two hurricanes about to join forces in the Atlantic is now almost certain to hit Britain this weekend.

Weather models have changed in the past 24 hours putting the ferocious tempest on a direct collision course with the UK.

Swathes of the country are on alert for severe gales, travel chaos and power outages into the start of next week.

Latest models show Hurricane Maria, now returned to a Category 1, after momentarily weakening to a tropical storm, making a northeastward u-turn tomorrow before heading towards the North Atlantic.

Maria will collide with Lee – currently a category-3 hurricane – between now and Friday creating a huge and rapidly deepening storm system. Forecasters say a third low-pressure system discovered near Newfoundland could hitch a ride with Maria and Lee adding further vigour to the mix.

Northwest Scotland and the west coast of England are braced for the biggest hit according to latest weather models. Gusts of between 60 and 70mph are likely to batter the worst-hit regions.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img...-weather-update-path-third-system-1078633.jpg

GFS ensemble models show the two hurricanes smashing together then hitting Britain

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weath...dels-Met-Office-Hurricane-Maria-Hurricane-Lee

Damn. They just won't die...

Hi everyone. Greetings from Puerto Rico.

I'm ok. There's no power, no phone signal, but Still we're alive. Puerto Rico sufered major damages specially on rural towns.

It's gonna be awhile before things get back to normal so I ask that please take care of the missing person cases I'm tracking.

I'm ok. There's no power, no phone signal, but Still we're alive. Puerto Rico sufered major damages specially on rural towns.

It's gonna be awhile before things get back to normal so I ask that please take care of the missing person cases I'm tracking.

:grouphug: So very glad you were able to stop by and let us know you are safe. I have been so worried about you. With no power or phone signal, how is it you can get into the internet? I did not expect to see you here for months!
Sure hope you are getting whatever necessary items you need... cannot wait for a bigger update.

:sunshine: This is has been the brightest note I have seen in a while. Thank you, thank you! be well and stay safe there, Archangel.

Glad to hear from you Angel!!!! We were worried. Hope things get better for you soon.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

This is the current area of interest firing off today.

b4f90406f27dba15a882e0423de40ca2.gif

Hurricane forecasters are watching a tropical disturbance off the southern coast of Cuba that has a medium chance of forming into a storm over the next five days. The system is likely to bring heavy rain to parts of Cuba and southern Florida over the weekend.

Forecasters predict the system has a 20 percent chance of forming over the next two days. That increases to 40 percent when the forecast is extended out to five days.

Regardless, the system is likely to produce locally heavy rain over parts of Cuba, southern Florida, the Florida Keys and the Bahamas over the next several days.

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2017/09/tropical_disturbance_off_cuba.html

Update 2 p.m.: An area of cloudiness and showers extending from the Cayman Islands into the Florida Straits was given a 50 percent chance of tropical development by the National Hurricane Center this afternoon.

That’s up slightly from this morning’s 40 percent chance, but a bigger jump from the 20 percent chance it had yesterday when initially identified by NHC forecasters.

If it becomes a tropical storm, it would be named Nate.

http://weatherplus.blog.palmbeachpo...cal-system-forming-south-of-florida-increase/

capture151.jpg

Our weather people here put out a weather warning for Scotland and Northern areas of UK. To expect high winds and heavy rain.

luckily I live in the Eastern part of UK so we shouldn't be troubled at all, but one never knows, the weather folk do at times get it wrong. We are used to winds of 70 - 80 mph but of course it still worries folk. We won't be having damage like you guys in US have had.

my heart goes out to all who have been caught, hoping things calm down and get back to normal for you all very soon xx

Our weather people here put out a weather warning for Scotland and Northern areas of UK. To expect high winds and heavy rain.

luckily I live in the Eastern part of UK so we shouldn't be troubled at all, but one never knows, the weather folk do at times get it wrong. We are used to winds of 70 - 80 mph but of course it still worries folk. We won't be having damage like you guys in US have had.

my heart goes out to all who have been caught, hoping things calm down and get back to normal for you all very soon xx

Good to see you here, jack. I was just at the Harvey thread and posted a reply to you to check out this thread, but you beat me here. I am glad to know you may be all right if this storm comes toward U.K. Never hurts to be prepared, just in case, though. Hope all stays well your way.

Good to see you here, jack. I was just at the Harvey thread and posted a reply to you to check out this thread, but you beat me here. I am glad to know you may be all right if this storm comes toward U.K. Never hurts to be prepared, just in case, though. Hope all stays well your way.

Hi Spellbound, yes I'm here lol. I've actually been following these hurricane threads since before they hit. Seems iPad is never far from my side these days as I tut to myself as I need to charge up again, husband says what do you expect when your on there so long haha.

:yesss:

:happydance:

I've been checking in every morning to see if you were back :grouphug:

Take care!

:grouphug: So very glad you were able to stop by and let us know you are safe. I have been so worried about you. With no power or phone signal, how is it you can get into the internet? I did not expect to see you here for months!
Sure hope you are getting whatever necessary items you need... cannot wait for a bigger update.

:sunshine: This is has been the brightest note I have seen in a while. Thank you, thank you! be well and stay safe there, Archangel.

My town doesn't have internet, but the next town does. I go out of town just to log on here. My family is ok, but other families need urgent help.

By the way, guys, I'm a he 😂, but don't worry this is the Internet you don't know if a dog is behind the screen.

I'll keep u guys posted as best as I can

My town doesn't have internet, but the next town does. I go out of town just to log on here. My family is ok, but other families need urgent help.

By the way, guys, I'm a he 😂, but don't worry this is the Internet you don't know if a dog is behind the screen.

:grouphug:

Is there a website that has news that is local to you vs. the Stateside news websites that we are seeing? I find local media is often the best outside of continental news sites... Are you finding such? Have one to reccomend?

Be safe!

By the way, guys, I'm a he [emoji23], but don't worry this is the Internet you don't know if a dog is behind the screen.

Hi Angel- your governor is urgently communicating for assistance. There are 1000s of federal workers on Puerto Rico now and huge quantities of food and water.

The biggest issue is that the supplies is at the port in tractor trailer rigs with very few to drive the trucks and no clear distribution plans from the Puerto Rican government.

Hopefully the local government and federal government are working urgently to find drivers and finalize the plan to distribute. There should be a larger military presence by now.

Thrilled to hear you and your family are ok....

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Hurricane forecasters are watching a tropical disturbance off the southern coast of Cuba that has a medium chance of forming into a storm over the next five days. The system is likely to bring heavy rain to parts of Cuba and southern Florida over the weekend.

Forecasters predict the system has a 20 percent chance of forming over the next two days. That increases to 40 percent when the forecast is extended out to five days.

Regardless, the system is likely to produce locally heavy rain over parts of Cuba, southern Florida, the Florida Keys and the Bahamas over the next several days.

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2017/09/tropical_disturbance_off_cuba.html

The rain did indeed come to the Suncoast - was pouring while I was at Bon Bon Vintage up the street from where we live - it's supposed to rain all weekend here

By the way, guys, I'm a he , but don't worry this is the Internet you don't know if a dog is behind the screen.

well, it certainly is good to know you are a MISTER Archangel! I am happy to have that confusion out of the way.

I do hope you don’t have to travel hours to get to the next town, but thrilled to know you have some connection beyond just your island. Are you able to get the necessities you all need (toilet paper, food, water? ).

Be well and hold your family close.

Article dated 9/30:

A tropical depression or tropical storm may develop during*the middle to end of the new week ahead in the western Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico or southwestern Atlantic Ocean.

Computer model guidance indicates *advertiser censored*large Central American*gyre*will form in the*northwestern Caribbean Sea and far eastern Pacific in the first week of October.

This "gyre"*is a large, broad area of low pressure*located partially over the Central American*isthmus and the Caribbean Sea. They can lead to the development of a large tropical cyclone in the Caribbean Sea or in the Eastern Pacific Ocean.

Nearly all gyres of this fashion produce heavy rainfall over Central America and the western Caribbean Sea.

The main impact*will be a surge in deep tropical moisture that computer guidance suggests could bring heavy rainfall to parts of Florida, Cuba, the Bahamas and the Cayman Islands*toward the end of the first week of October. It is too early to say exactly how much rain will fall and what spots will see the most rainfall.

This gyre isn't even expected to form until the middle or end of the*week, and we'll know a lot more about the forecast once we have a weather system on which to*focus. There is no guarantee that a tropical depression or storm*will eventually form from this gyre.*

Heading into October, environmental conditions over the western Caribbean Sea are looking favorable for development – whether tropical cyclone formation happens with this system or down the road.

Water temperatures near the surface are currently in the mid- to upper 80s, about*2 to 5 degrees above average in the western Caribbean Sea. Temperatures of 80 degrees are generally supportive of*tropical storm or hurricane development.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/central-american-gyre-tropical-depression-storm-caribbean
079d064300fe5f4e2840bf99ba35cb99.jpg

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea