Found Deceased IA - Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif, 18, Des Moines, 17 Jan 2020

I’ve been so caught up in the mindset that if he was at Prospect Park somebody must have driven him there - but now I’m wondering if that’s even necessarily true. There’s a network of trails in the area, big nicely paved trails. I’ve never seen these trails in the winter, no idea if they’re used at all. But right now, if you wanted to get from Prospect Park to the north bank (across the river), you could follow the trail up river and cross that bridge, then follow the trail downriver on the other side. Google Maps shows walking time from the mall to that bridge at just over an hour. Maybe not out of the question at all.

I don’t think those trails would’ve been passable at all. Remember, that day there was a major snowstorm, bad enough that schools were canceled and a ton of businesses closed early (I remember that because my husband works at a credit union and they closed early - which is rare, especially on a Friday. And then we were out of food and he tried to go to Subway, Jimmy Johns and Hy-Vee to get dinner and they had all closed already!) I feel confident in saying that there’s no way the trails (and many side streets) were cleared for at least a couple of days.

This statement by the police makes me wonder what condition the body was in which leads to a few more questions.

Was the body in good enough condition that they were able to make that determination? Looking at the temperature record for the river at 2nd Ave on the date he disappeared the temp of the water was near freezing but since the end of February has steadily risen to about 60° as of today. I know that in cold water it takes years for a body to decompose but with the rising water temperature, how accelerated would that process become? Has the body been in the water the entire time?

The next question is, was there water found in the lungs? Did he drown or was his body placed in the water after he was already dead?

This reminds of a number of cases in the Midwest where a young man has been missing only to be found in water some time later and the condition of the body doesn't jive with how long they've been missing and they couldn't determine the cause of death

I had the same thoughts about the condition of the body when it was found. KCCI has a video with a statement from Sgt. Paul Parizek and I’ll quote what he said that I found interesting:

“There were no findings of any traumatic injury that would have occurred prior to his death. We’re not looking that this was a violent crime but we still have a lot of answers, or questions, that we don’t have answers to just yet.”

It makes me wonder if there was evidence of traumatic injury after his death - not necessarily due to someone else, but due to being in the river so long. Was his body in a good enough condition that they would be able to tell if there was traumatic injury prior to his death?

I also found it interesting that he said they’re not looking at it as a violent crime. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not looking at it as a non-violent crime. I’ve noticed that Des Moines police tend to keep things to themselves while investigating cases (as they should if they don’t need help from the public) and with Sgt. Parizek being the PIO for the PD, he has experience in wording things very carefully.

I don’t think those trails would’ve been passable at all. Remember, that day there was a major snowstorm, bad enough that schools were canceled and a ton of businesses closed early
SBM
I feel confident in saying that there’s no way the trails (and many side streets) were cleared for at least a couple of days.
He must have planned on doing something that he only expected to last a few hours. Wherever he was headed, he needed time to get back to Target. Unless his story was bogus and he had no intention of returning to Target.

Around 5 p.m., Abdi Sharif posted on Snapchat using the geotag for the Target store mentioning some “bad, bad news,” his sister said. He later texted his mother asking her to pick him up from work at 9:30 p.m., but when she arrived, texts and calls to him went unanswered.

I just saw "Found Deceased" - I really hoped for a different outcome here.

I want to say this as sensitively as possible, but it is a thought I have had since the beginning. It would account for the car ride to the park, being in the park (maybe the intent was not to leave the car) and his thought he would only be gone for a few hours - so his mom could pick him up. I do believe he had to get a ride given the weather. Could he have been meeting another man/young man on a hook-up app and it was a predator?

I have a daughter around the same age and all my kids have lots of friends whose parents are immigrants because of where we live. Being gay is very taboo in some of the parents' cultures but Abdi is at an age where he could have figured out how to meet people online. And predators sense when someone is vulnerable. It is often the first thought when 17/18 year old girls go missing in similar circumstances.

This does not account for the "bad news" texts, but it would explain the sister stated she "didn't know all his secrets." Maybe she sensed something but does not want to come out and say it. I also would not rule out suicide but how did he get to the park?

A lot of young team members hang around when they aren’t scheduled: to visit with friends that are working, to see if they can pick up hours, or sadly, to escape a home situation or to just connect and get attention from someone/anyone because they don’t have other strong social ties.
<snipped by me>

Did Abdi lie to his mom about being called into work because he didn’t feel safe at home?

I’m truly hoping that it’s not the case! I do think he was dearly loved. The medical examiner will be able to answer a lot of our questions in time. I’m lighting a candle for him tonight.

Stay safe, y’all!

Welcome! Thank you for your insights into Target "culture." It does sound like he felt at home and had friends/peers among his co-workers. I also feel like his family loved him very much - they were so dogged getting a PI and searching. I do believe that there may have been cultural reasons that he lied to his mom, though not "honor killing" - more teen/US values vs. other cultural and generational values. They must be heartbroken.

Last edited:
I don’t think those trails would’ve been passable at all. Remember, that day there was a major snowstorm, bad enough that schools were canceled and a ton of businesses closed early (I remember that because my husband works at a credit union and they closed early - which is rare, especially on a Friday. And then we were out of food and he tried to go to Subway, Jimmy Johns and Hy-Vee to get dinner and they had all closed already!) I feel confident in saying that there’s no way the trails (and many side streets) were cleared for at least a couple of days.
About the weather:

Late Friday morning, a city of Des Moines spokesman said snowplows won't tend to neighborhood roads and side streets until Saturday. City plows instead will be tasked with clearing and re-clearing Des Moines' 750 miles of snow routes, the city's arterial roads that receive the most traffic.

Iowa weather: High winds gusting across the state Saturday

So no, Prospect Road would not have been cleared and accessing Prospect Park would have been difficult. I doubt the trails are ever plowed at all, but I’ve never seen the trails in the winter so I don’t know that.

But what we know for sure is that’s where Abdi ended up. I’m perplexed that his remains were located along the North bank, in my mind this all but eliminates any possibility that he entered the river from Prospect Park (the South bank). If he didn’t get there via Prospect Road and the South Bank at Prospect Park, I think the only realistic remaining option is the Wakonsa Bridge.

There would have been snow of course, but it would have been easily accessible on foot - no different than watching my mailman trudge up the block through our uncleared sidewalks. It’s a direct line from where Abdi was last seen and consistent with his known direction of travel. Unknown if he met up with anyone or hitched a ride, but even on foot that’s easily within walking distance.

There are a couple good pics of that bridge on Google Maps. I feel certain that Abdi crossed this bridge on foot. But why? Was he alone? How did he then get down to the river?

Attachments

• 3EADB449-DE5C-4441-975F-8A8FB17B9F5D.jpeg
    3EADB449-DE5C-4441-975F-8A8FB17B9F5D.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 8BF1C674-D464-4845-8EC8-67C2641781B6.jpeg
    8BF1C674-D464-4845-8EC8-67C2641781B6.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 63
Hello, new friends! Very sad news today. I used to work in leadership at Target and think Abdi would have been a great person to have on my team. A lot of young team members hang around when they aren’t scheduled: to visit with friends that are working, to see if they can pick up hours, or sadly, to escape a home situation or to just connect and get attention from someone/anyone because they don’t have other strong social ties. Target shifts in Iowa are typically 4 or 4.5 hours or 8 hours, for break law purposes; it’s not always worth it to keep someone and have them have to take a lunch or risk hitting meal compliance. My guess is that he showed up and asked to work. It was said that he helped support his family with his Target earnings, so it makes sense that he would try to get more hours in. As a leader, I would never call a high school student outside of their availability. His leaders probably agreed to let him stay and clock in during typical peak hours (1-4 pm) to support the floor or give someone else the opportunity to go to lunch if there were a lot of call-outs, but might not have necessarily needed him for essential business functions. It sounds like he was a cafe team member? Am I wrong? (“Krusty Krab” reference). Doesn’t always look good to the big bosses to spend payroll on the cafe work center during a snow storm.

Abdi would have had a paid 15 minute break for a shift of 4 hours. You aren’t really supposed to have your phone on the floor while you’re working. He may have taken his break just before 5 pm. There have been times when a break gets pushed back towards the end of a shift, especially if it’s not a scheduled shift. Something might have blown up/escalated at this time and prompted the “bad bad news” post. Or maybe someone asked to meet up. He then called his mom to schedule a ride for later that night.

I know some have said that there have been inconsistencies in statements from the family. I don’t know much about the subject... but I keep thinking about stories of “Honor Killings” in some Muslim communities. Does anyone else know much about this?

It’s probably nothing, I could be crazy, but is it possible that in an attempt to fit in with his peers or to individuate from his family, Abdi engaged in activities that could be seen as shameful? And could someone have taken it upon themselves to deal with him in order to restore honor to the family/community?

Did Abdi lie to his mom about being called into work because he didn’t feel safe at home?

I’m truly hoping that it’s not the case! I do think he was dearly loved. The medical examiner will be able to answer a lot of our questions in time. I’m lighting a candle for him tonight.

Stay safe, y’all!
Welcome to websleuths. A first post like that makes me think you had a good reason to want to say what you did. When I read statements from family about an 18 year old man like "Abdi only was ever three places : Home, work and school" that's obviously either untrue or in the unlikely event it is true, he would almost certainly be a very frustrated young man.

In Muslim culture family honor is more important than basically anything so nearly anything could have been "bad bad news" that set an extremely stressful chain of events in motion, all of which his family might want to keep quiet. And yes, even more awful things sometimes happen in Islamic families but more often to girls.

I think it's very safe to say that the family could find out more about what happened and why if they wanted to. I also think it's pretty likely that they or someone else in their community does know a lot more about what happened and isn't coming forward with the information.

Such sad news...

PRESS UPDATE:

On 02 May 2020, at approximately 3:10 p.m., Des Moines Police Department patrol officers responded to the Prospect Park Des Moines River banks to investigate a report of a body in the river.
Responding officers arrived and observed what appeared to be a body submerged in the river near the north bank.
Des Moines Fire Department water rescue personnel responded to assist, and did recover a body from the water. Additional assistance was provided by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
The body has been transported to the Polk County Medical Examiners Office. Cause and manner of death, as well as identification, will be determined following an autopsy.
Additional information will be shared as it becomes available for release. The next scheduled update will be at 2:00 p.m., 04 May 2020.
UPDATE: 2:30 p.m., 04 May 2020
The Polk County Medical Examiners Office has identified the body recovered from the river as 18 year old Des Moines resident Abdullahi “Abdi” Sharif. Sharif was last seen on 17 January 2020 at a local Target store.
There were no indications of traumatic injury observed at autopsy. Cause of death will be determined following complete examination of autopsy findings.

Des Moines Police Department detectives continue their investigation. Additional information will be shared as it becomes available for release.
Sgt. Paul Parizek
:( Adding link:

Rest peacefully, Abdi.

g10160.gif

Hello, new friends! Very sad news today. I used to work in leadership at Target and think Abdi would have been a great person to have on my team. A lot of young team members hang around when they aren’t scheduled: to visit with friends that are working, to see if they can pick up hours, or sadly, to escape a home situation or to just connect and get attention from someone/anyone because they don’t have other strong social ties. Target shifts in Iowa are typically 4 or 4.5 hours or 8 hours, for break law purposes; it’s not always worth it to keep someone and have them have to take a lunch or risk hitting meal compliance. My guess is that he showed up and asked to work. It was said that he helped support his family with his Target earnings, so it makes sense that he would try to get more hours in. As a leader, I would never call a high school student outside of their availability. His leaders probably agreed to let him stay and clock in during typical peak hours (1-4 pm) to support the floor or give someone else the opportunity to go to lunch if there were a lot of call-outs, but might not have necessarily needed him for essential business functions. It sounds like he was a cafe team member? Am I wrong? (“Krusty Krab” reference). Doesn’t always look good to the big bosses to spend payroll on the cafe work center during a snow storm.

Abdi would have had a paid 15 minute break for a shift of 4 hours. You aren’t really supposed to have your phone on the floor while you’re working. He may have taken his break just before 5 pm. There have been times when a break gets pushed back towards the end of a shift, especially if it’s not a scheduled shift. Something might have blown up/escalated at this time and prompted the “bad bad news” post. Or maybe someone asked to meet up. He then called his mom to schedule a ride for later that night.

I know some have said that there have been inconsistencies in statements from the family. I don’t know much about the subject... but I keep thinking about stories of “Honor Killings” in some Muslim communities. Does anyone else know much about this?

It’s probably nothing, I could be crazy, but is it possible that in an attempt to fit in with his peers or to individuate from his family, Abdi engaged in activities that could be seen as shameful? And could someone have taken it upon themselves to deal with him in order to restore honor to the family/community?

Stay safe, y’all!

You hit it on the nail! When I was watching the recent video his family made to update everyone about his body being found, I kept watching the parents and something about his mother made me uneasy. From the start I've said that there was a possible family dynamic that is being hidden from the public. Im aware that there are very strict traditions that foreign families deeply adhere to. Some that we as Americans probably wouldn't understand nor agree with. Anyways, I just keep getting the feeling that something is being hidden. If it's meant to come out it will but as an investigator I would look into the adults that were closest to eachother in the family and then work my way to friends, and co workers. I'm sure that the young man confided in someone about his personal struggles.

A family may not call police to report a missing person in a very timely manner for a variety of innocent reasons.

Which is why I have so many questions because the mom's statements about how great a kid he was and how responsible he was doesnt match the actions of that night. If indeed he was very responsible, why would he not be at the store when his mom went to pick him up? why would a responsible young person not come home in time for the 12 o'clock curfew that the state imposes on young people? Did the police confirm the text message between Abdi and his mother about needing a ride home that night or is that speculation? Not once did his parents say that Abdi was known for staying out at night without calling home. He didnt do drugs or sell drugs. He didnt hang out with bad people. He supposedly had nothing bad going on in his life. Quite the contrary. So unless he was a drug addict or a kid with behavioral issues, then theres no reason why they shouldnt have called the cops sooner. Sometimes the subtlest of things said or done become the pieces that bring the truth forward. I have a feeling that the story goes deeper.

@evilwise I'm just wondering what you mean by "nearly anything could have been 'bad bad news.'"
He left a Snapchat before vanishing that said he got "some bad bad bad news". We have basically no information whatsoever about anything that was going on in his life so your guess as to what could have been so bad is as good as anyone's

Is he still restricted by a curfew if age 18?

Honestly just wondering, not trying to express an opinion.

I just saw "Found Deceased" - I really hoped for a different outcome here.

I want to say this as sensitively as possible, but it is a thought I have had since the beginning. It would account for the car ride to the park, being in the park (maybe the intent was not to leave the car) and his thought he would only be gone for a few hours - so his mom could pick him up. I do believe he had to get a ride given the weather. Could he have been meeting another man/young man on a hook-up app and it was a predator?

I have a daughter around the same age and all my kids have lots of friends whose parents are immigrants because of where we live. Being gay is very taboo in some of the parents' cultures but Abdi is at an age where he could have figured out how to meet people online. And predators sense when someone is vulnerable. It is often the first thought when 17/18 year old girls go missing in similar circumstances.

This does not account for the "bad news" texts, but it would explain the sister stated she "didn't know all his secrets." Maybe she sensed something but does not want to come out and say it. I also would not rule out suicide but how did he get to the park?

Welcome! Thank you for your insights into Target "culture." It does sound like he felt at home and had friends/peers among his co-workers. I also feel like his family loved him very much - they were so dogged getting a PI and searching. I do believe that there may have been cultural reasons that he lied to his mom, though not "honor killing" - more teen/US values vs. other cultural and generational values. They must be heartbroken.

You bought up a very good point. Maybe he was gay? and meeting a male partner? or like mentioned, a possible male predator? I am very curious what the toxicology report will say. If they say nothing was found in his blood, and no physical signs of abuse or violent blunt force to his body then one has to rule it as a possible suicide?

Re waiting to call police and not going in to Target to check- there could be any number of reasons. Language barriers, a belief that you have to wait a certain amount of time before reporting a missing person, a fear of law enforcement possibly due to prior experiences in a home or host country. Due to my childhood experiences I'm very hesitant to contact law enforcement and it's rarely the first thing that comes to my mind in situations when others would immediately call police. So I'm not viewing the family's actions in delayed reporting as suspicious. Moo

Language barrier? Yet they were able to hire a private detective? The fsther sounded pretty fluent. Also...they still have a daughter who knows English well enough to also work at Target. And wouldnt the sister have known about him being on the schedule that night or not? If the mother didnt speak English well then couldnt she have called the sister from the parking lot and asked her to call the store and ask if Abdi was still there? Am I the only parent that would have tried relentlessly to find out where he was when he didnt come outside?? or when he didnt come home?? I do understand if they didnt trust the cops though. But something is off with the details about what exactly happened with the family between the time his mother got back home from Target with no knowledge of where her son was that night and the next morning when his job called. Thats a big window of time!

Is he still restricted by a curfew if age 18?

Honestly just wondering, not trying to express an opinion.

Not sure if it applies to 18 yr olds still in high school. I dont live in that state but maybe someone else might know?

I just read an online news article from nbc dateline news. Apparently the mother did go inside the store when Abdi didnt come to the car and tried looking for him inside the store and couldnt find him. The article did state that his family tried to call his phone that evening but their calls got sent to voice mail. The article also said they called the police the next day. Which is contradicting another article that said they didnt alert the police until someone from Target had called to ask why he wasnt at work? What bothers me is that they waited for over a month to do a search party! I'm assuming thats because of the snow? or terrible police work! Any kind of evidence couldve been lost when the snow melted and evidence mightve been lost as people traversed through the park and bridge after the fact. And the mystery continues.....

Last edited:
The biggest obstacle to searching was that Abdi appeared to just walk away from a mall in an urban area and there was nothing else to go on at that point. The police knew early on (from the surveillance footage I assume) that Abdi left voluntarily and alone.

I also think it’s way out of line to scrutinize his grieving family or suggest they might have been involved. Talk of honor killings and other culturally insensitive nonsense is unwarranted.

I am assuming Abdi’s father is deceased? It was his uncle who was speaking in fluent English at the press conference.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back