IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding 2K cash for expenses here is a link about how much it costs to fuel a Semi. I can easily see needing that much money if you didn't use credit cards. On top of fuel you got food, emergencies etc. It adds up fast.
  • One 100-to-150-gallon tank, costing about $500-$750 to fill.
  • Two 120-to-150-gallon tanks, costing about $1,200-1,500 to fill.

We know SS got DS’ change of clothes ready for him but doesn’t remember the color of the shirt. Does anyone know if SS has shared what kind of shirt he was wearing? Flannel, tshirt,long sleeve??? In the video, is he wearing his jacket, or can his shirt be seen? I’m just asking because this has always bothered me. This would be good to know if people are still searching for him. And if it was long sleeved or flannel, he could have made it further in the elements(which is unclear if he left on foot). JMO and trying to get more details.

IF he left by choice, I think he would have delivered his load first. I assume he would only be paid IF load is delivered. Why take a load that close to delivery point, and then not deliver it…
I believe I read his truck payment is $2000. He could have left that amount in his wallet for truck payment. It does not feel like he left by choice.

At this point, I feel pretty confident that David left on his own accord. Anything else requires a complicated and very unlikely scenario. I'm going all-in on the theory that he planned his disappearance.

It doesn't make sense that he was abducted and/or harmed in any way. No signs of a struggle, no damage to the truck, wallet and money untouched. No indication at all that anything bad happened. Hard to imagine he was hijacked in any form either - hijacking a big rig is a lot different than carjacking a car, there would be some indication of that.

A medical situation doesn't make sense either, that would require believing that instead of just pulling over and calling for help he instead chose to turn the wrong direction and go down a mostly deserted highway. Then get out, toss some of his stuff in the ditch, then something happened that he disappeared. None of that makes sense.

The only explanation that makes sense is that he planned his disappearance. And that would require only that he made it look like that's not what happened. Yes, he left his wallet and $2k behind - but we have no idea what he didn't leave behind. If he's been planning this for awhile he could have easily skimmed a few hundred or more every week from his operating cash.

Lacking anything that indicates otherwise, it appears he turned North at that intersection deliberately. And I believe that was pre-planned. He needed a place to leave his truck and disappear without being seen, turning south at that point wouldn't work.

And I believe he probably had an accomplice and a vehicle waiting. Confirmation of final plan happened when he was pulled over at Marker 126. He was only there for 16 minutes (and I believe that place closes at 11pm). He wasn't there for fuel - if he needed fuel, that stop would have lasted more than 16 minutes. He was seen scrolling through his phone, but I question whether "his phone" was the only phone he had. Quite possible he had a burner.

Why did it take him 22 minutes to just a few miles north? Perhaps he was waiting for confirmation that his ride was where they were supposed to be. Waiting to ensure that everything was in place and he hadn't been seen or followed.

It's interesting that his belongings found at the scene weren't far from the truck. I don't suspect he'd want to wander too far off to toss that stuff, not with a car waiting for him.

I have no idea why he would want to disappear or what his plans may be afterwards. I have no idea if his family or LE suspects as much. Stuff like this never makes sense, but it happens.

Last edited:
At this point, I feel pretty confident that David left on his own accord. Anything else requires a complicated and very unlikely scenario. I'm going all-in on the theory that he planned his disappearance.

It doesn't make sense that he was abducted and/or harmed in any way. No signs of a struggle, no damage to the truck, wallet and money untouched. No indication at all that anything bad happened. Hard to imagine he was hijacked in any form either - hijacking a big rig is a lot different than carjacking a car, there would be some indication of that.

A medical situation doesn't make sense either, that would require believing that instead of just pulling over and calling for help he instead chose to turn the wrong direction and go down a mostly deserted highway. Then get out, toss some of his stuff in the ditch, then something happened that he disappeared. None of that makes sense.

The only explanation that makes sense is that he planned his disappearance. And that would require only that he made it look like that's not what happened. Yes, he left his wallet and $2k behind - but we have no idea what he didn't leave behind. If he's been planning this for awhile he could have easily skimmed a few hundred or more every week from his operating cash.

Lacking anything that indicates otherwise, it appears he turned North at that intersection deliberately. And I believe that was pre-planned. He needed a place to leave his truck and disappear without being seen, turning south at that point wouldn't work.

And I believe he probably had an accomplice and a vehicle waiting. Confirmation of final plan happened when he was pulled over at Marker 126. He was only there for 16 minutes (and I believe that place closes at 11pm). He wasn't there for fuel - if he needed fuel, that stop would have lasted more than 16 minutes. He was seen scrolling through his phone, but I question whether "his phone" was the only phone he had. Quite possible he had a burner.

Why did it take him 22 minutes to just a few miles north? Perhaps he was waiting for confirmation that his ride was where they were supposed to be. Waiting to ensure that everything was in place and he hadn't been seen or followed.

It's interesting that his belongings found at the scene weren't far from the truck. I don't suspect he'd want to wander too far off to toss that stuff, not with a car waiting for him.

I have no idea why he would want to disappear or what his plans may be afterwards. I have no idea if his family or LE suspects as much. Stuff like this never makes sense, but it happens.
Unless the medical situation involved drugs. Agree with everything else.

RSBM
The only point I question is: why not deliver the pigs first? They are live animals after all.
Somewhere up thread his family was quoted as saying David was a workaholic, which made me think 'conscientious', although that's not necessarily the case. But if he were conscientious, he wouldn't leave livestock for potentially hours in a deserted truck on a little-used road imho.

MOO

I agree.

If this was Dave's choice, he has created a situation that saves his family the heartache of *knowing* he chose to leave them. Everything about how this was done, *including* not delivering the pigs, allows Dave's family to say, "He would never do this!"

Seriously doubt fuel was an issue. Most truckers run ample fuel levels. (unless weight on the tractor end is an issue, then low fuel to cross scales, refill and go. No scales in this trip.)

Main reason is, running out of fuel in a big diesel tractor is a major job to get fuel up from the tank you put it in, to the injection pump on the engine, then bleed all the air out to crank.
Just speculating on the fact that the convenience store/restaurant was supposedly closed when he got there so he couldn’t pay cash to fill up the semi.
If he didn’t go to get gas and he couldn’t go in the store for a coffee or snacks, why did he stop there for 16 minutes? Doesn’t seem long enough for a nap. He was also allegedly running late.
The video from the stop reportedly shows David walking around his truck and scrolling through his phone.

IF he left by choice, I think he would have delivered his load first. I assume he would only be paid IF load is delivered. Why take a load that close to delivery point, and then not deliver it…
I believe I read his truck payment is $2000. He could have left that amount in his wallet for truck payment. It does not feel like he left by choice.
My only thought is that the drop off location for the pigs was in a much more populated area than where it was found. That means more security cameras and potentially more witnesses.
I think he knew the truck would be found rather quickly and the pigs would be okay.

My only thought is that the drop off location for the pigs was in a much more populated area than where it was found. That means more security cameras and potentially more witnesses.
I think he knew the truck would be found rather quickly and the pigs would be okay.
…and he may have figured their “friend” would report the full trailer sooner.. ??

But then why not deliver the pigs, drive off and dump the truck somewhere remote? Surely that would have been a better option to go under the radar.
In fact, his boss was alerted early only due to the missed delivery. If he didn't miss the delivery, no one would have noticed until much later probably (IIRC SS said it wasn't completely out of character for him to not return for the whole day).
Not sure what to think at this point.

“Sarah said her husband parks the truck and trailer at his friend's mechanic shop in Wall Lake. So, after leaving home, she said he stopped there and probably spent some time talking to his friend, who was fixing up a yellow semi David had just bought. She said her husband planned to sell his red truck.”
This I always found a little curious. Why would SS say “David probably probably spent some time talking to his friend” when she knew he was running late? That doesn’t sound like a conscientious person to me. He arrived at the pickup location late and was the last driver to load that evening.
Was SS trying to account for some missing time/cover David for some reason? Running late/in a hurry doesn’t gel with spending time chatting with a friend to me.

RSBM
The only point I question is: why not deliver the pigs first? They are live animals after all.
Somewhere up thread his family was quoted as saying David was a workaholic, which made me think 'conscientious', although that's not necessarily the case. But if he were conscientious, he wouldn't leave livestock for potentially hours in a deserted truck on a little-used road imho.

MOO
Per regulations, pigs can be transported for up to 28 hours without food or water. No, I don't think that's kind and ethical, but that's the regulation. In any event, in this situation the pigs were going to fine.

Just speculating on the fact that the convenience store/restaurant was supposedly closed when he got there so he couldn’t pay cash to fill up the semi.
If he didn’t go to get gas and he couldn’t go in the store for a coffee or snacks, why did he stop there for 16 minutes? Doesn’t seem long enough for a nap. He was also allegedly running late.
The video from the stop reportedly shows David walking around his truck and scrolling through his phone.
When is a truck driver checking his truck/trailer (although very late on his schedule)? If he learned of something, that wouldn't be ok with his vehicle? Did someone mislead him with a corresponding tip via phone?

“Sarah said her husband parks the truck and trailer at his friend's mechanic shop in Wall Lake. So, after leaving home, she said he stopped there and probably spent some time talking to his friend, who was fixing up a yellow semi David had just bought. She said her husband planned to sell his red truck.”
This I always found a little curious. Why would SS say “David probably probably spent some time talking to his friend” when she knew he was running late? That doesn’t sound like a conscientious person to me. He arrived at the pickup location late and was the last driver to load that evening.
Was SS trying to account for some missing time/cover David for some reason? Running late/in a hurry doesn’t gel with spending time chatting with a friend to me.
I wondered about that as well, and it made me wonder if David is a talker. Some people are habitually late, mostly at their own doing, because they talk a lot! But, since David left around 7:30pm, it would have been dark and the friend probably would have been in the house, so it would seem to me like he would have just gotten into his truck and driven off, unless the friend was outside or in the garage working on cars/trucks.

Whatever the truth is, it seems to be almost a perfect mystery.

If there was any third party involvement, they appear to have managed to leave no trace of their existence. If it was Dave's choice, he has managed to do it in a way that is totally out of character and doesn't make his friends or family suspicious.

Whether by luck or good planning, you couldn't do a much better job of disappearing a person if you wanted to.

I agree.

If this was Dave's choice, he has created a situation that saves his family the heartache of *knowing* he chose to leave them. Everything about how this was done, *including* not delivering the pigs, allows Dave's family to say, "He would never do this!"
This makes me sad. If this was his choice, he created the situation as you described above, but a more direct type of situation like leaving one's family re: divorce can be dealt with, with anger and grieving and trying to move on. Instead, if this was his choice, he may have created a monster that would, to me, be more impossible to get past, always wondering the rest of your life what happened, is he out there, is he hurt, was that just him I saw in a store, and so on.

Per regulations, pigs can be transported for up to 28 hours without food or water. No, I don't think that's kind and ethical, but that's the regulation. In any event, in this situation the pigs were going to fine.
OMG what a regulation. Compared to that, the pigs were obviously going to be fine. MOO

Whatever the truth is, it seems to be almost a perfect mystery.

If there was any third party involvement, they appear to have managed to leave no trace of their existence. If it was Dave's choice, he has managed to do it in a way that is totally out of character and doesn't make his friends or family suspicious.

Whether by luck or good planning, you couldn't do a much better job of disappearing a person if you wanted to.

No trace, but I think we know where they parked. Right where they might be expected to park.

Sarah repeatedly called David's cellphone every few minutes, but there was no answer. At 4:30 p.m., she said law enforcement officers called her from David's phone, and she headed out to the site where his truck was found.

Following the discovery, county investigators searched the area on foot and with a K-9, which tracked David's scent to a field drive. McClure said the track "wasn't very long."

This makes me sad. If this was his choice, he created the situation as you described above, but a more direct type of situation like leaving one's family re: divorce can be dealt with, with anger and grieving and trying to move on. Instead, if this was his choice, he may have created a monster that would, to me, be more impossible to get past, always wondering the rest of your life what happened, is he out there, is he hurt, was that just him I saw in a store, and so on.

If David has walked away to start a new life, everything you say is absolutely true. But I still have a horrible feeling he may have finally taken as much as he could, and now be lying in one of the fields somewhere.

I'm not (yet) convinced he got into another vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500