Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

I have been with and cared for several people who had strokes, sometimes right in front of me. They were totally not making good decisions but also sometimes not “out of it”. Perhaps walking or talking but still their brain is under attack. There was a great range of behavior changes. I can see how this scenario might fit into DS and what happened to him. JMO

Sure wish we would hear some official update. This is the oddest case where it was insanely busy with so many people involved and now total silence. MO

I think perhaps it’s important to remember that many people experiencing acute, critical to catastrophic medical emergencies don’t want to believe they’re ill. It’s an uncomfortable idea—that you only have seconds or minutes to find skilled assistance before you suffer something that will either end or permanently alter your life and health forever—and especially so because the signs and symptoms associated with these kinds of emergencies manifest in vague, familiar, mostly mildly uncomfortable ways at first: anxiety, doom, sweats, low blood sugar, confusion, claustrophobia, sudden and heavy fatigue. We’re often wired through conditioned experience to assume the best interpretation. (There was a WaPo story recently about a woman suffering from a harrowing medical mystery who assumed that when she lost her eyesight and couldn’t hook her bra one morning the cause of both was “stress,” not a stroke induced by undiagnosed metastatic lung cancer.)

Picture the stiff upper lips convinced they can walk off a cardiac event by going outdoors, into the cold night, alone. Recall stories about choking restaurant patrons later found dead or nearly asphyxiated in the washroom because they didn’t want to cause a fuss.

We are a resilient, but social species and our physical selves tend to revert to energy conservation; that’s not good if we’re alone, in isolation, when we happen to be struck by something that quickly goes from concerning but seemingly manageable to incapacitating before we decide we might need to phone for help. Getting help. explaining yourself; it really can feel like too much work to a person struggling to catch their breath, steady their pulse, stop themselves from keeling over.

If it hits you in just the wrong circumstances you’ll have lost the small but crucial time period of opportunity to summon help before you even realize you need it.

I think perhaps it’s important to remember that many people experiencing acute, critical to catastrophic medical emergencies don’t want to believe they’re ill. It’s an uncomfortable idea—that you only have seconds or minutes to find skilled assistance before you suffer something that will either end or permanently alter your life and health forever—and especially so because the signs and symptoms associated with these kinds of emergencies manifest in vague, familiar, mostly mildly uncomfortable ways at first: anxiety, doom, sweats, low blood sugar, confusion, claustrophobia, sudden and heavy fatigue. We’re often wired through conditioned experience to assume the best interpretation. (There was a WaPo story recently about a woman suffering from a harrowing medical mystery who assumed that when she lost her eyesight and couldn’t hook her bra one morning the cause of both was “stress,” not a stroke induced by undiagnosed metastatic lung cancer.)

Picture the stiff upper lips convinced they can walk off a cardiac event by going outdoors, into the cold night, alone. Recall stories about choking restaurant patrons later found dead or nearly asphyxiated in the washroom because they didn’t want to cause a fuss.

We are a resilient, but social species and our physical selves tend to revert to energy conservation; that’s not good if we’re alone, in isolation, when we happen to be struck by something that quickly goes from concerning but seemingly manageable to incapacitating before we decide we might need to phone for help. Getting help. explaining yourself; it really can feel like too much work to a person struggling to catch their breath, steady their pulse, stop themselves from keeling over.

If it hits you in just the wrong circumstances you’ll have lost the small but crucial time period of opportunity to summon help before you even realize you need it.
Absolutely. I can see a guy having a medical emergency thinking the fresh air will make them feel better.

I have been with and cared for several people who had strokes, sometimes right in front of me. They were totally not making good decisions but also sometimes not “out of it”. Perhaps walking or talking but still their brain is under attack. There was a great range of behavior changes. I can see how this scenario might fit into DS and what happened to him. JMO

Sure wish we would hear some official update. This is the oddest case where it was insanely busy with so many people involved and now total silence. MO

I had a stroke in 2012 at the age of 77. Sitting in a recliner; in the afternoon, in my bedroom, reading a book. Daughter comes in from work, said Hi, going somewhere, be back and fix supper.
I said OK, she left and I read on a while. Felt the need to urinate, so laid book on bed beside my chair, picked up my cell phone from the bed, and stood. All was fine until I was fully upright.
Then felt unsteady, but calmly rationalized: I can touch the dresser on my left, take two steps and can then touch the chest on my right as I go into the bathroom. I can do this. I got past the dresser and reached over to the chest, spun and fell, landing on my back,
So; I thought self, you gotta get up and to the bathroom.
I moved all my limbs, nothing broken. I wiped over my face and twisted a look around and no blood. Rolled over to my knees, and turned and crawled into the bathroom. (Double sink vanity area and tub/commode on past in interior.)
I stopped at the tub edge, raised up enough holding with my left hand to lower my pants and underwear with my right. I do not know how I twisted/raised up/flipped my body, but I got to sitting on the commode.
I reached down, got my phone and called my daughter. Told her I had fallen, I was not bleeding nor had any broken bones, but something was wrong. She needed to come home and we get it checked out.
She called for an ambulance and they both arrived simultaneously.
Medic loaded me, asked if I had ever had a stroke before. I told him no, am I having one now. He told me it was indicated, he would give me a shot. If it was a stroke, the shot would be a great leg up on recovery. If it was not, shot would do no harm.
Two months in rehab to regain walking and movement control. Still could not swallow. Another 6 weeks of intensive home therapy (twice a week) and I regained ability to swallow. Survived with a "peg" feeding tube taking something like Similac during.
I am 88 now, live in a retirement community in the independent living apartments, drive to shop groceries and appointments.

All this to explain my stance on David's situation. I do not think he would have driven (under duress ?), stopped, shut it down, doused all lights.Then went into a blue funk, stripped off his jacket, circular reversed his direction an walked till tripped/fell/froze.
Too much normal duty, then crazy wild.

I had a stroke in 2012 at the age of 77. Sitting in a recliner; in the afternoon, in my bedroom, reading a book. Daughter comes in from work, said Hi, going somewhere, be back and fix supper.
I said OK, she left and I read on a while. Felt the need to urinate, so laid book on bed beside my chair, picked up my cell phone from the bed, and stood. All was fine until I was fully upright.
Then felt unsteady, but calmly rationalized: I can touch the dresser on my left, take two steps and can then touch the chest on my right as I go into the bathroom. I can do this. I got past the dresser and reached over to the chest, spun and fell, landing on my back,
I moved all my limbs, nothing broken. I wiped over my face and twisted a look around and no blood. Rolled over to my knees, and turned and crawled into the bathroom. (Double sink vanity area and tub/commode on past in interior.)
I stopped at the tub edge, raised up enough holding with my left hand to lower my pants and underwear with my right. I do not know how I twisted/raised up/flipped my body, but I got to sitting on the commode.
I reached down, got my phone and called my daughter. Told her I had fallen, I was not bleeding nor had any broken bones, but something was wrong. She needed to come home and we get it checked out.
Medic loaded me, asked if I had ever had a stroke before. I told him no, am I having one now. He told me it was indicated, he would give me a shot. If it was a stroke, the shot would be a great leg up on recovery. If it was not, shot would do no harm.
Two months in rehab to regain walking and movement control. Still could not swallow. Another 6 weeks of intensive home therapy (twice a week) and I regained ability to swallow. Survived with a "peg" feeding tube taking something like Similac during.
I am 88 now, live in a retirement community in the independent living apartments, drive to shop groceries and appointments.

All this to explain my stance on David's situation. I do not think he would have driven (under duress ?), stopped, shut it down, doused all lights.Then went into a blue funk, stripped off his jacket, circular reversed his direction an walked till tripped/fell/froze.
Thank you for sharing your experience!

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

So glad you recovered!

I'm going to keep in mind what you've posted above. DH and I are retired; one never knows what might happen.

BBM

I think strangulation in a partially/fully skeletonized body could show as a broken hyoid bone. (Asphyxia - Autopsy & forensics)

Hopefully the full autopsy report (including toxicology and microscopic findings) will clarify the cause of death and that in turn may also explain some of the odd circumstances around the disappearance (why the wrong turn, why the unusual way the truck was parked, why he didn't deliver the pigs first, etc..)
A plastic bag over the head and taped closed over the tape will leave no broken bones or evidence of brutal manual strangulation.

You are a pretty amazing man, thats for sure. I appreciate your thoughts and wisdom on this page, and I’m very glad you’re here to tell us what you think. Thank you for sharing.

You're amazing. It’s reassuring to hear stories such as yours.

Why would someone make an elaborate plan to suffocate someone? It takes a long time to die of suffocation and in order to subdue and force a grown adult fit healthy man into submission so as to put a bag over their head, there'd be a lot of fighting and wrestling involved unless perp had a gun to their head. Plus they'd have to make sure there's absolutely no air able to get in or they wouldn't die anyhow. Would be tricky to secure and hard to achieve if wearing gloves, plus high risk of leaving contamination / evidence. It's a bit overly elaborate of an idea IMO and makes little sense. JMO MOO

A plastic bag over the head and taped closed over the tape will leave no broken bones or evidence of brutal manual strangulation.
What you are referring to would be asphyxia not strangulation though.
But you are right, asphyxia may not leave any mark.

There are also other ways to kill someone without leaving physical trace on a skeletonized body.
I guess we may never know unless the autopsy finds something.

The whole thing is still baffling nonetheless.

How long are the toxicology results going to take? It feels like forever we've been waiting.
In many cases I’ve followed, they often estimate 3 months. I’m not sure why it takes that long. Surely especially in rural areas there aren’t hundreds of deceased persons to analyze.

In many cases I’ve followed, they often estimate 3 months. I’m not sure why it takes that long. Surely especially in rural areas there aren’t hundreds of deceased persons to analyze.
This whole case seems to be made of rubber.. Ever facet has seemed to stretch out to the max. Truck set in the way, in plain sight, unreported for hours. Search efforts were initiated, Cajun Navy to the rescue, then all died down and nothing. Bam; body found, in plain sight where searched previously, autopsy, then going to get another as "something is not right". Silence except for fund raising and requests for donations. Now, he is buried and everyday life seems to have been resumed; Sarah, Les Brown, Cajun Navy spokesman, LE, David's parents?
No push to review and demand some answers. Very weird.

I don't think Iowa has a lab dedicated solely to post-mortem toxicology tests. They probably have a lot of their plate, overworked and understaffed just like everyone else. And I don't think it helps that this is surely very low priority.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kolse
Back