IA IA - Dennis Clougherty, 23, Cedar Falls, 12 August 1974

I have devoted so much time to finding the man's killer. Please, leave your opinion on this if you feel like it.

I have never heard of this case but I will try to help and look at everything I can find. If there is a reputable site or sites you think might help I will be happy to take a look at them today to see what I see.

Well, after reading only the article you linked at the top of this page, it seems to be certain that the vehicle that picked him up last is the key and they most certainly murdered him. I would suspect that if robbery was not the motive, maybe something that Dennis said triggered a reaction, and a bad one from these two men. In the article it mentioned that he helped with urban renewal in Dayton and I am wondering about the statistics regarding ghettos during that time.

I then thought of how he was in Vietnam and my mind strayed to areas of concern regarding being against the war somehow, but then retracted that as it seems unlikely that the men would be violent towards that as most who were seemed pretty peaceful.

The reason I asked about the area in the ghetto is I am wondering if the guys who picked him could have possibly been under the influence maybe and they got talking and perhaps were militant racists or something and shot him for his world view.

I don't know the scope of the mentality of people then or in the location he was found but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try and look.

Probably a long shot but, it stuck out to me.

However, if the motive was robbery I would be surprised if these men were not caught prior and had records.

I am very surprised that the vehicle could not be located at all. You would think that if a search could be done by the description it would be much easier now to look it up and match owners and VIN numbers, etc....

This is a tough one.

Can someone approach the Cedar Falls PD and ask them to release more information, more details? The article linked in the first post says LE have a "thick black binder" full of investigative details. The two men were in their early-20s so they would be approaching 70 years now, if they are still alive. Time is ticking! Is there no description of these two men at all? I'm surprised that the person who described the car, and even its interior, was not able to describe them as well, at least the basics such as race, hair color.

Can someone approach the Cedar Falls PD and ask them to release more information, more details? The article linked in the first post says LE have a "thick black binder" full of investigative details. The two men were in their early-20s so they would be approaching 70 years now, if they are still alive. Time is ticking! Is there no description of these two men at all? I'm surprised that the person who described the car, and even its interior, was not able to describe them as well, at least the basics such as race, hair color.

Good point about the basics. I wonder if that is in those case files and if they could release some of that. There may be a single, small detail. You never know.

How far was it from the KFC to where his body was found on the side of the road?

Take a look at the top of the page. See the black box with the white lettering in the middle of the page?

I will be texting and putting this information on our Facebook page

Thank you so much! This helps a lot! :)

I'm assuming all these houses weren't there back in the day when his body was found ?

image.jpg

I'm assuming all these houses weren't there back in the day when his body was found ?

attachment.php

Yeah, I think Union Rd, used to be pretty barren.

Did they move the KFC? This is where it's at now on University dr.

image.jpg

This is where it would have been back when it was on Broadway.

image.jpg

Both maps would take you to where the body was found.

Is there anyway you could send me all the information you have gathered so I have a good starting point?

Did they move the KFC? This is where it's at now on University dr.

attachment.php

This is where it would have been back when it was on Broadway.

attachment.php

Both maps would take you to where the body was found.

Strange..On my maps it says there’s still one on Broadway. No idea.

And for the person that was asking for info, here’s a few articles I’ve collected :

Dennis Michael Clougherty

On Monday, August 12, 1974, sometime between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and midnight, someone shot 23-year-old Dennis Clougherty five times in the chest and left his body along Union Road, south of First Street in Cedar Falls, Iowa.
A passing motorist discovered the body early the following morning about 100 yards off U.S. Route 20 in Black Hawk County.
Twenty minutes later, some of Clougherty’s personal belongings were located approximately five miles south on Viking Road, including the college student’s backpack, motorcycle helmet and clothes bag.
A coroner’s report indicated Clougherty died from five gunshot wounds to his body.
A Vietnam vet preparing to begin his last year of graduate school at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, Clougherty left Madison around 4 p.m. Monday with plans to hitchhike to Torrington, Wyoming, to retrieve his motorcycle and then ride it back to Detroit, Michigan, to attend a weekend family wedding. Clougherty’s motorcycle had broken down in Torrington earlier that year and he’d left it behind for repairs.
Clougherty’s route from Madison to Dubuque was never determined, but an investigation confirmed a motorist picked him up around 7 p.m. Monday while traveling westbound on Highway 20 near Dubuque, and gave him a ride to Independence, Iowa, dropping off Clougherty at a café there around 8:15 p.m.
Clougherty ate at the [then] Rush Park Café and left Independence around 9:15 p.m., hitchhiking westbound on Highway 20. Another motorist picked him up and drove him to Waterloo, dropping him off at the Highway 20 and Highway 63 intersection.
Around 10:30 p.m., two men — both in their early 20s and driving a brownish/gold 1962-1964 Chevrolet with a beige interior — picked up Clougherty at the Kentucky Fried Chicken on Broadway Street.
Clougherty was never seen alive again and died about 30 to 45 minutes later along Union Road.
Officials didn’t consider robbery a motive, as Clougherty’s billfold still contained $80 and his backpack’s contents were left undisturbed. Police said there was no property missing from his person, and that they’d not determined a motive for the killing or identified any suspects in the case.
Notes:
The two men were possibly driving a four-door.
Exact time body found was 6:18 a.m., August 13, 1974
Born in Plainfield, New Jersey, Moved to Venuzuela ages 7-9, Hometown of Allison, Pennsylvania, Lived in Madison, Wisconsin, and died in Cedar Falls, Iowa

Find a grave.

Dennis Michael Clougherty was born Jan. 31, 1951, in Plainfield, New Jersey to Mark A. and Mary Florence (Askin) Clougherty.
He was a 1968 graduate of Bishop’s Latin School in Pittsburgh and a 1971 graduate of Dayton University with a BS in Industrial Engineering.
At Dayton, he served as president of the Institute of Industrial Engineers student chapter. An honor student, Dennis was active in student government and a member of the Junior Industrial Engineering Program sponsored by Eastman Kodak.
His parents said while in Dayton, he had done urban redevelopment work in ghetto areas.
After graduating from Dayton, Dennis joined the U.S. Navy in 1972, where he won the American Spirit Honor Medal. During one year in the Navy he advanced to the rank of seaman second class.
In 1973, Dennis entered graduate school at the University of Wisconsin, studying Urban Redevelopment and Planning on a grant he’d received based on recommendations from his Dayton teachers.
He would have graduated the following year with his master’s degree in industrial engineering.
In addition to his parents, survivors included five brothers, M. James, Christopher D., Brian P., John A., and Michael J., all at home.
Dennis was buried at Allegheny County Memorial Park Cemetery in Allison Park, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
His parents passed away — his father in 2010 and his mother in 2011 — without ever seeing their son’s case solved.

August 19, 1974 Pennsylvania newspaper describing the first details in the case

A University of Wisconsin graduate student from Hampton Township was found shot to death and abandoned in a ditch along a highway near Cedar Falls, Iowa, it was learned yesterday. Dennis Clougherty, 23, of 2423 Tanglewood Drive in the Northwood Acres section of the township, was found about 100 yards off U. S. Route 20 in Blackhawk County Tuesday morning, according to Hampton Township Police Lt. Chester Kline. Police said Clougherty was, slain by three bullet wounds in the stomach, apparently inflicted by a small hand gun. After the shooting, police believe t h e killer or killers transported the body to the area, then dragged and dumped the body. THE AREA WHERE the body was found was about 200 miles from Clougherty's apartment in Madison, Wise. The coroner's office in Black-hawk said the slaying apparently happened the previous night. His backpack and motorcycle helmet were found near the body, leading police to believe that Clougherty was ei-t h e r hitchhiking or riding with a friend to Wyoming to pick up his motorcycle which was being repaired. It broke down while Clougherty was traveling on vacation through the western states in June, so he sent his dad a Father's Day card from there. He w a s last seen by his family during a visit home t w o weeks ago. He would have graduated next year with a master of science degree in industrial engineering.

End of article

Is there anyway you could send me all the information you have gathered so I have a good starting point?

Welcome to websleuths Chaos. Can I ask you? Are you from the area where this murder took place?

Speaking of details...It seems awfully curious that the interior of the vehicle could be described considering you'd need to be pretty close to view the color so the vague descriptors of the men is odd. I wonder if the witness who saw them is still alive or if maybe there is more in the files that was withheld at the time.

Also, one article says that his personal effects were found 5 miles away and then the other says "close to the body" and I don't feel like 5 miles is that close. If I were to read that one article I would assume it was much nearer than that.

I wonder if after doing this they took his stuff but then realize it would link them so they dumped it. If so, were any fingerprints lifted off of the helmet? Fiber samples taken or anything at forensically? I think we need these answers and I hope LE will release something of significance.

I wonder if after doing this they took his stuff but then realize it would link them so they dumped it. If so, were any fingerprints lifted off of the helmet? Fiber samples taken or anything at forensically? I think we need these answers and I hope LE will release something of significance.

It really baffles me as to the lack of any evidence? Like, you would think there would be something.

I'm doing an experiment here, trying to find ways to link old articles from Newspapers.com to this site.

Here's a link to Instagram with a copy of an article about this case written 1 yr after the murder. Hope this helps. If you all can see it, let me know and I'll post more.

https://instagram.com/p/BeL8nwRBI4J/

ETA: Sorry, but using Instagram doesn't seem to work. It only saved a portion of the article. Will have to work on this more.

Anyway, the article gave some description of the area where DC's body was found, as well as the road where his possessions were dumped. It seemed kind of remote, as if whomever did this had some knowledge of the area.

It really baffles me as to the lack of any evidence? Like, you would think there would be something.

Maybe LE knew them or perhaps one or both were family members? I don't normally believe in conspiracies theories but sometimes there seems like there is no where else to go. I'm not really ready to go there yet though.

Maybe LE knew them or perhaps one or both were family members? I don't normally believe in conspiracies theories but sometimes there seems like there is no where else to go.

In the 1975 article I linked above, there were quite a few quotes from investigators. I'm a skeptic sometimes in these cold cases, but these investigators seemed pretty sincere in trying to find the killers. They worked the case pretty hard, traveling to other states, etc. One officer talked of how he and his wife drove the routes to where the body was found and explored every side road and cutoff they could find.

It could have been jurisdictional, though that wasn't mentioned. They discuss how Cedar Falls hadn't had a murder since the early 1900's until DC's. They complained it was a growing problem with crime from the nearby Waterloo, IA a bigger city with more crime. They kind of hinted they though it might have been someone from Waterloo or other nearby bigger metro areas.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back