IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarx also was cautious to say that in all the links we provided regarding the searches by the dogs the family members (usually TB) are describing the behaviors they saw the dogs exhibiting. Very little info has been given by LE or authorities regarding the search by dogs and the results thereof. The vast majority of info regarding the dogs hitting at the lake has come from TB.

Given how little info was available, Sarx could not be sure when trying to analyze the reported hits.

I believe the conversations regarding the dogs took place either in the last thread or the one previous to it.

Yes. I wish someone could go to that ABC news reporter and show him a compass and explain to him that West is NOT the opposite direction of South!!

SO MUCH CONFUSION BECAUSE OF HIS STATEMENT.:banghead:

The girls did go North. They left the Colin's home and went North towards Lafayette, where they were seen on video surveillance tape, and the next known fact is that their bikes were at the SE tip of Meyers Lake.

Sometimes these things are, unfortunately, that simple. However, dogs tracked the girls scent by the lake so my guess is that HAD to have been there, right? I don't know much about tracking, but I'm assuming the dogs weren't following the scent of the bikes or purse alone, as you would think they would have tracked much farther.
Is anyone here an expert (or close) on how scent dogs track?

I always got the impression that the dogs found the girl's scent on the bikes. Something said in a PC about LE feeling the bikes were there, but no real proof the girls were.

Sarx also was cautious to say that in all the links we provided regarding the searches by the dogs the family members (usually TB) are describing the behaviors they saw the dogs exhibiting. Very little info has been given by LE or authorities regarding the search by dogs and the results thereof. The vast majority of info regarding the dogs hitting at the lake has come from TB.

Given how little info was available, Sarx could not be sure when trying to analyze the reported hits.

I believe the conversations regarding the dogs took place either in the last thread or the one previous to it.

Thank you! I didn't realize the whole dog thing wasn't reported about by more than the family. I wonder if that means LE isn't even considering it?

It must have been a few threads ago or while I was sleeping (which leads me to the observation ... some of the posters here don't ever seem to sleep). I slept 4 hours last night ... was on right before bed and got on upon waking up (and making my son breakfast). I had missed about 6 pages!

The girls did go North. They left the Colin's home and went North towards Lafayette, where they were seen on video surveillance tape, and the next known fact is that their bikes were at the SE tip of Meyers Lake.

Otto, this may be a stupid question, but is the surveillance camera behind the business or in front? If it's in front than it would appear they would basically have been on (or very close to) Lafayette. If it's in the back, I don't see how it could say they went toward Lafayette when Brovan runs northwest to southeast ... they would have had to go due north on River Forest or Sipple. I may have just confused myself! :waitasec:

Morrissey, who works in the kitchen of a Casey’s General Store, said she was hopeful about the two FBI scent dogs who were taken to the area Monday. The dogs used the girls’ shoes to pick up a trail.

But what the dogs found was “nothing that we can comment on,” Sandy Breault, a spokeswoman for the FBI, told the Los Angeles Times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...owa-girls-dogs-scent-20120717,0,4576927.story

The FBI brought two dogs to the area to search Monday night, and the dogs were used again on Tuesday, FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said.

The dogs used scent pad samples taken from the girls' shoes and picked up a scent trail, but Breault couldn't say what, if anything, it led investigators to.

Misty Cook-Morrissey, Lyric's mother, told CNN that after smelling the scent pads Monday, the dogs ran around the lake and stopped at the water's edge.

Authorities said Tuesday that they didn't know whether the girls had been at the lake.
"We have their bicycles and we have the purse and that doesn't tell me that they've been there, just that those items are there," Abben said.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/17/us/iowa-missing-cousins/index.html

FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said the reaction from the dogs Monday night indicated a "strong possibility" the girls had been at the lake, less than a mile from their grandmother's house where they were last reported seen Friday. However, Breault said because there were no confirmed sightings at the lake, authorities couldn't be certain.

http://www.usatoday.com/USCP/PNI/Nation/World/2012-07-18-Missing-CousinsIowa-717_ST_U.htm

here you are sailorsgirl, a few links regarding the dogs and what FBI has to say on them

cindersoot
Okay I did goggle earth map the address of KC guy I saw at the lake. A white van is in front of his residence. OMG
-----///-/-------------

Couldnt quote from previous thread.

Date of google photo is sept 22, 2011 fyi.

Morrissey, who works in the kitchen of a Casey’s General Store, said she was hopeful about the two FBI scent dogs who were taken to the area Monday. The dogs used the girls’ shoes to pick up a trail.

But what the dogs found was “nothing that we can comment on,” Sandy Breault, a spokeswoman for the FBI, told the Los Angeles Times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...owa-girls-dogs-scent-20120717,0,4576927.story

The FBI brought two dogs to the area to search Monday night, and the dogs were used again on Tuesday, FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said.

The dogs used scent pad samples taken from the girls' shoes and picked up a scent trail, but Breault couldn't say what, if anything, it led investigators to.

Misty Cook-Morrissey, Lyric's mother, told CNN that after smelling the scent pads Monday, the dogs ran around the lake and stopped at the water's edge.

Authorities said Tuesday that they didn't know whether the girls had been at the lake.
"We have their bicycles and we have the purse and that doesn't tell me that they've been there, just that those items are there," Abben said.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/17/us/iowa-missing-cousins/index.html

FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said the reaction from the dogs Monday night indicated a "strong possibility" the girls had been at the lake, less than a mile from their grandmother's house where they were last reported seen Friday. However, Breault said because there were no confirmed sightings at the lake, authorities couldn't be certain.

http://www.usatoday.com/USCP/PNI/Nation/World/2012-07-18-Missing-CousinsIowa-717_ST_U.htm

here you are sailorsgirl, a few links regarding the dogs and what FBI has to say on them

Thanks a million ... it sounds like the only reason they can't say without doubt that the girls were there based on the dogs is that no one can confirm a sighting.

It was number 7, yes, you have a good memory - thanks!

So if we only consider what LE has confirmed, then the only thing we really know is that the girls were in that parking lot about 12:15, or maybe 8 minutes later than that.

That's about all we know. Don't know for sure that the girls ever made it to the lake, only that their bikes did, somehow.

This is just a random thought. What if the dogs at the lake sniffed the family members because LE wanted to determine whether or not their scent(s) led away from the bikes and into the woods?

ok, so the bikes were lying on the path - had to be swerved around. then later they are leaning against the fence. Who put them by the fence? was it the cyclist? I missed that.

ok, so the bikes were lying on the path - had to be swerved around. then later they are leaning against the fence. Who put them by the fence? was it the cyclist? I missed that.

That's the million dollar question. Lots of confusion and nobody has been able to clarify.

A bit behind here so maybe this has been addressed, but...

There is no evidence the girls were ever on Lafayette. Corn Belt Auctions and Lederman's are two businesses with addresses on Lafayette, but the reality is that they both have giant parking lots in front of them. The businesses themselves sit well off of Lafayette, so that the rear of the buildings is basically across the street from the Collins home on Brovan. The girls were seen riding on the street in front of this house, captured by a camera mounted on the rear of Corn Belt Auctions. It's not an alley, it is a street. There is a small area between the rear of the buildings and the street that is gravel, used for storage, but the camera showed the girls on the street, heading west. There is nothing to show that they ever went north, or that they were ever on Lafayette.

Okay, let's just say, hypothetically, that someone nabbed the girls in town, and decided to put the bikes at the lake to deflect attention away from themselves.

How would they get the bikes to that specific location? They couldn't drive them in very closely. They would need to park in a hidden location and then walk the bikes there.

Does that sound feasible or possible or even likely?

Would 2 people ride them there and then abandon them? They would have to walk away and then get picked up?

A bit behind here so maybe this has been addressed, but...

There is no evidence the girls were ever on Lafayette. Corn Belt Auctions and Lederman's are two businesses with addresses on Lafayette, but the reality is that they both have giant parking lots in front of them. The businesses themselves sit well off of Lafayette, so that the rear of the buildings is basically across the street from the Collins home on Brovan. The girls were seen riding on the street in front of this house, captured by a camera mounted on the rear of Corn Belt Auctions. It's not an alley, it is a street. There is a small area between the rear of the buildings and the street that is gravel, used for storage, but the camera showed the girls on the street, heading west. There is nothing to show that they ever went north, or that they were ever on Lafayette.

Olli, you and the other locals posting here have been instrumental in helping us to understand the lay of the land. For that a big thank you :)

Of course you're right about the point of leaving the house at 11:30 for the bike ride -they'd be going north towards Lafayette.

The context of the reporter's quote is important, though, to see how the idea of "west does not equal south" comes into play. He says the camera shows the girls riding west on Brovan, then says it's important to note they're riding away from the lake.

IMHO, this doesn't make sense.

Okay, let's just say, hypothetically, that someone nabbed the girls in town, and decided to put the bikes at the lake to deflect attention away from themselves.

How would they get the bikes to that specific location? They couldn't drive them in very closely. They would need to park in a hidden location and then walk the bikes there.

Does that sound feasible or possible or even likely?

Would 2 people ride them there and then abandon them? They would have to walk away and then get picked up?

That's sort of my question ... it doesn't seem like, even though it's secluded, it would have been easy or feasible to put the bikes there. I would think, if someone wanted to dump the bikes they'd go to an area that is out of sight, but easily accessible.

Otto, this may be a stupid question, but is the surveillance camera behind the business or in front? If it's in front than it would appear they would basically have been on (or very close to) Lafayette. If it's in the back, I don't see how it could say they went toward Lafayette when Brovan runs northwest to southeast ... they would have had to go due north on River Forest or Sipple. I may have just confused myself! :waitasec:

Behind, aiming at Brovan. They were taped going NW (more W to me, but that's IMHO I spose!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels