IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, found deceased, Evansdale, 13 Jul 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
July 13 2022
View attachment 354293

''EVANSDALE MURDER INVESTIGATION CONTINUES 10 YEARS LATER​

July 13, 2022
DES MOINES, Iowa –
It was 10 years ago today that cousins 10-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey and 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins went out for a bike ride in Evansdale, Iowa, and never returned home to their families. Five months later on December 5, 2012, hunters in the Seven Bridges Wildlife Area of rural Bremer County came across two bodies, which were eventually identified as Elizabeth and Lyric — found approximately 25 miles from the Black Hawk County location where they originally went missing.
No one has yet been charged or arrested for these crimes, however the investigation into the girls’ deaths continues one decade later out of dogged determination to understand the truth of what happened to Lyric and Elizabeth. Local, state and federal investigators have worked together to solve this case since that time. As the case progressed into a long-term investigation, the investigative team adapted and readjusted as well, to include investigators with the Bremer County Sheriff’s Office, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Part of the investigative team still includes agents who were part of the original investigation when it began in July of 2012.
As part of this team, intelligence analysts with the Federal Bureau of Investigation Regional Office in Omaha, Nebraska, and the Iowa Department of Public Safety Division of Intelligence in Des Moines, Iowa, were also provided to leverage their analytical capabilities for the large amount of data and evidence that this case has generated.
As the investigation continues into this anniversary date, the investigative team wishes to acknowledge the significance of this date to the families of Lyric and Elizabeth, the local Cedar Valley community, and the state of Iowa. The investigative team’s goal continues to be bringing about justice for the families of Lyric and Elizabeth, and their strategy in bringing about this justice involves regularly evaluating the historical information that is already contained in the comprehensive investigative case file, while at the same time evaluating any new information as it comes in.
To date, there have been nearly 2000 leads in this investigation, including 117 tips provided by the involved public in the past 10 months. Every tip that comes into the established ourmissingiowagirls@dps.state.ia.us email address is reviewed by the investigative team, and evaluated on its relevance to the case facts to determine whether or not resources (i.e. investigators performing interviews, information analysis) should be allocated for follow-up.
The investigative team hopes that Iowans will continue to stand with the families of Lyric and Elizabeth, the Cedar Valley community, and the investigative team until the truth is made known. The investigative team asks anyone who wants to report information about the Evansdale murders can direct it to ourmissingiowagirls@dps.state.ia.us
* At this time, investigative case status interviews will not be available.''
Photos of Lyric and Elizabeth

Photos: Lyric-Cook Morrissey (left) Elizabeth Collins (right)

Is it interesting that “At this time, investigative case status interviews will not be available” or am I reaching?

“The mother of an Indiana girl whose killer remains at large will be the guest speaker at Saturday’s rally to remember cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins.

Anna Williams is slated to speak at the 10th Annual Memorial Ride and Drive on Saturday.

Williams’ daughter, 13-year-old Abigail Williams, and Abigail’s friend, Liberty German, 14, were found dead near a recreational trail outside of Delphi, Indiana, in February 2017.”

Is it interesting that “At this time, investigative case status interviews will not be available” or am I reaching?

It might just be that they have so many requests for anniversary interviews that they had to cut them off, but it is an interesting possibility that something new is going on.

These girls brought me to Websleuths - I joined exactly 10 years ago today. I live in Iowa, heard about the missing girls on the news and Google led me here. I did not think we would be here, 10 years later, with no one held responsible. I take some solace in the fact that the girls were found - as I’ve discovered during my time here, recovery of missing people is not guaranteed. I hope I’m not back here in another 10 years lamenting the fact that we’re no further along than we are today.

These girls brought me to Websleuths - I joined exactly 10 years ago today. I live in Iowa, heard about the missing girls on the news and Google led me here. I did not think we would be here, 10 years later, with no one held responsible. I take some solace in the fact that the girls were found - as I’ve discovered during my time here, recovery of missing people is not guaranteed. I hope I’m not back here in another 10 years lamenting the fact that we’re no further along than we are today.
I also discovered Websleuths because of these girls. I lurked for a while before joining and participating, though. I grew up in the Evansdale area, rode my bike to Meyers Lake by myself when I was 9-10 years old. In 2012, I had a 13 year old sister. It hit too close to home.

An interesting point in this news broadcast at about 4:30 into it.

So a week or a few days after the abduction the FBI had reason to believe the girls were still alive at that point.

can't believe it's been a decade. So many hours spent with fellow members mapping, speculating, both when they were missing and later, after they were found :( and ten years later and we are still nowhere closer to understanding the who's or why's

can't believe it's been a decade. So many hours spent with fellow members mapping, speculating, both when they were missing and later, after they were found :( and ten years later and we are still nowhere closer to understanding the who's or why's
I was right there with you @tlcya. I can't help but wonder with todays advanced technology if they can't perhaps try again to find any shred of evidence. Maybe they found absolutely nothing though. If I recall, no DNA was recovered.
Maybe reopen the case to a new group of investigators. New eyes on the evidence can sometimes find something others missed. The murder of these two little girls just breaks my heart.

The lack of resolution after all this time is so disheartening. i want to just break the TOS and start shooting off names for us to discuss in hopes to gain an INCH of ground. I want to…. but I won’t. (Waves at admin )

No justice yet; no DNA yet; no new tips, AFAIK, yet.

Elizabeth Collins reminded me of a close growing-up friend of mine -- red hair, a coy little smile, smart as a whip, and just plain fun. That slip of a girl tugged at my heart from the first post of the first thread.
And Liberty reminded me of yet another friend -- a bit plump whose back yard and mine were next to each other. Both good girls.
Surely there is more sophisticated DNA or something or someone who, with new eyes, might have a new idea or previous experience with a case similar who came in and solved a case.

Forgive my dribble. Those girls have my heartstrings just like the rest of us here who continue to hope that something will break. The parents and other family members are still hurting.
Still hoping that something will break. :-(

In 2014 LE presented to the public a partial profile of the offender, one that was prepared by the FBI: Authorities compose possible profile of suspect in case of Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins

1. The offender is familiar with the Meyers Lake and Angels Park in Evansdale, and Seven Bridges Wildlife Area in Bremer County, where the girls’ bodies were found.

2. Whoever is responsible for the crime blends in with or may be part of the Evansdale, Bremer area.

3. It is believed that the offender used “quiet coercion” to gain the girls’ trust.

4. The suspect may have been in a stressful situation in July 2012, perhaps related to legal troubles, marital issues, employment problems, financial strain, or mental health problems.

5. The suspect may avoid talking about the case, but is likely following reports from the media.

6. Also, this person may have attempted to abduct children or adults in the past.

7. After the girls’ disappearance, the suspect might have changed his or her appearance, like changing hair style or facial hair. The offender may also have altered his or her vehicle with a new paint job or re-upholstery.

IMO, as in most cases LE is not going to release everything that is in the profile for investigative reasons. However, they felt that the partial profile may assist them in gaining additional tips of investigative value.

rbbm.
''Lost in the Heartland: Childhood, Region, and Iowa’s Missing Paperboys PAUL MOKRZYCKI

''EIGHT-YEAR-OLD ELIZABETH COLLINS and her cousin, ten-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey, vanished on July 13, 2012. The two went for a bike ride in what has since been renamed Angels Park in Evansdale, Iowa, and never returned home. Their disappearance triggered massive searches and received considerable local media attention. A group of hunters eventually found their bodies in December of the same year. Their murders devastated the Evansdale community. “They’re our girls,” one local woman, standing with her children, explained to a reporter. “They’re everybody’s girls.” With the gruesome discovery of the girls’ bodies, one news account gestured to the past: ''

'' THE ANNALS OF IOWA Iowa lost more of its innocence.”1 The following summer, another disappearance and slaying—this time of 15-year-old Kathlynn Shepard from Dayton, Iowa—rocked the state. “This is a safe community,” an area mother contended after the Shepard tragedy. “This kind of thing should not happen. It’s unfathomable.” Another woman from Dayton lamented, “It’s a small community and we’re hurting.” The county sheriff shared these women’s concerns, commenting, “We were robbed of some innocence in this whole thing. We’ll never quite be the same.”2 These cases brought a specific type of trauma to these Iowa communities, one that journalists, law enforcement officials, and ordinary people found all too familiar. The Evansdale and Dayton incidents spurred numerous comparisons to the unsolved disappearances of Des Moines paperboys Johnny Gosch in 1982 and Eugene Wade Martin in 1984. A 2012 newspaper article, for instance, remarked on the similarities between the Gosch episode and that of the Evansdale cousins. “Both cases involved children doing the activities children are supposed to do without worry: Gosch was delivering newspapers around his neighborhood,” while the young girls “were riding their bicycles on a hot summer afternoon.” The same account touched on the Gosch case as a moment of fracture, much as the Evansdale and Dayton tragedies had been for their communities.3 For many Iowans, Gosch’s disappearance represented a loss of innocence; it imposed new strictures on childhood and parenthood while casting a pall on the midwestern idyll. “It’s not the type of crime that happens in Iowa,” the Des Moines Register reported. An interviewee concurred. “There were kidnappings but it was never kids, at least not that we’d seen in our lives''

In 2014 LE presented to the public a partial profile of the offender, one that was prepared by the FBI: Authorities compose possible profile of suspect in case of Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins

1. The offender is familiar with the Meyers Lake and Angels Park in Evansdale, and Seven Bridges Wildlife Area in Bremer County, where the girls’ bodies were found.

2. Whoever is responsible for the crime blends in with or may be part of the Evansdale, Bremer area.

3. It is believed that the offender used “quiet coercion” to gain the girls’ trust.

4. The suspect may have been in a stressful situation in July 2012, perhaps related to legal troubles, marital issues, employment problems, financial strain, or mental health problems.

5. The suspect may avoid talking about the case, but is likely following reports from the media.

6. Also, this person may have attempted to abduct children or adults in the past.

7. After the girls’ disappearance, the suspect might have changed his or her appearance, like changing hair style or facial hair. The offender may also have altered his or her vehicle with a new paint job or re-upholstery.

IMO, as in most cases LE is not going to release everything that is in the profile for investigative reasons. However, they felt that the partial profile may assist them in gaining additional tips of investigative value.
Thank you very much! :)

so we dont know if they were kept alive during the six months and killed before they were found ?
and we dont know if they were violated ?
is it also possible that they dont know how they died because of the state of bodies

No. 6 could mean, this in Evansdale was ALSO an abduction. How terrible, if the little girls were trapped for some months! :eek: LE will know more to it .....

It might not mean that. The fact that they were taken from the street near their home to a different location makes it a kidnapping. It wouldn't have to have been more than a few minutes between abduction and final crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44