GUILTY IA - Evelyn Miller, 5, Charles City, 1 July 2005

PrayersForMaura said:
I think she should report it and at least have him listed in the directory as a sex offender. You never know what he's done in the years after he was done with your friend :(
I agree with reporting it too...but one has to be convicted before they are required to register as a sex offender. Some states have a statute of limitations on these crimes. First think I would do is contact the DA's office in the state it took place and ask them what the statute of limitations are. If they are expired then she could ask them for advice on what to do. At anyrate that little girl that is living there now needs to be protected. She shouldn't worry about destroying a family...it's that little girls life being destroyed that should be of concern

Report it snoopy. This family is already destroyed. Cyclical abuse of every generation is cause for alarm and the breeding of new molesters. If we know than it is obligation to report it and stop it, if possible. JMO.

Snoopy, if someone doesn't report it and this man molests that child, your friend will feel guilty the rest of her life.

Bobbisangel said:
What about.....

1. Kids sleeping in their own beds in their own rooms....Elizabeth Smart, Polly
Klass, Jessie Lunsford, and many more. All older kids and more difficult to
handle.

2. Parent...parents or grandparents at home

3. Last seen after going to bed and house settling down for the night.

4. Never seen again and later found dead with the exception of Elizabeth
Smart.
I agree, it happens. There are many ways kids go missing. Asleep in their rooms or living rooms, going to the park or swimming pool, walking to or from school or the bus. Far too many of them, taken to be used and discarded.

I don't get the "more difficult to handle" unless you're talking about a perp molesting an older child and killing right away to shut him or her up. This isn't always the case (poor Jessica Lunsford).

Prayers for little Evelyn. Her story is almost identical to Riley Fox's. Riley was 3 years old, sleeping on her couch, daddy was looking after her. In the morning, the front door was open and there was no Riley. She was found later that day in a creek a few miles from her home. In the picture I have seen of Evelyn, she looks like Riley a little bit....those chubby cheeks. Riley lived in Illinois, Evelyn lived in the next stated over in Iowa.

Riley's killer is still at large.

PrayersForMaura said:
I just found out from a friend today whose friend is a victim's advocate and writes books on these cases ... the perpetrators of these sexual crimes are given a lesser sentence in some states if they are RELATED to the child ... I guess as if they are proprty of the family!!
How ridiculous are those laws!

Our country has a judicial system that sets a term of so many years to child molestors and pedophiles ... and when they sever their time, they are free to go under the court of the law and the sentencing they received.

In my opinion, the terms needs to be stricter!!
Not 5 years for a molsetation or a rape... those crimes are just as evil as murder. Those crimes are violations of people's rights to not be touched or handled...

I'm so disgusted right now!

@prayersformaura So very true, that is one of the reasons I got behind The Baby Brianna Bill because it calls for life behind bars for anyone killing a child under twelve years old. Baby Brianna died at 5 months old at the hands of family members.

http://www.nvfc.us/blog/?p=2

Thank you all. You have convinced me of what I should tell her all along, but needed some extra reassurance. I wouldn't be able to live with myself should something happen to this little girl knowing what I know. God forbid we have to start a forum about her or another because of my friend's father.

snoopy said:
My friend asked me this question, and before I give her my answer, I'd like to hear from any of you.

With all the news of Jessica, Shasta, and now Evelyn (and many more heard and unheard), my friend asked me if she should report her dad somehow. He molested her when she was little, though she doesn't remember a lot of the details, thankfully. This was about 20-25 years ago. She speaks to him now occasionally after all these years, and feels he is a different person, but worries some because his wife's son has a little girl. She would like to give a warning, though it would have to be anonymously. She worries that if this was a one time thing and his life has truly changed, would she be destroying a family by this news of the past?

Your thoughts please!

Absolutely, your friend needs to report him! For some reason, our society makes us feel like we are wrong for "rocking the boat" when everything seems fine now, but things may not be fine underneath! These people DO NOT change!!!

CaliKid said:
I agree, it happens. There are many ways kids go missing. Asleep in their rooms or living rooms, going to the park or swimming pool, walking to or from school or the bus. Far too many of them, taken to be used and discarded.

I don't get the "more difficult to handle" unless you're talking about a perp molesting an older child and killing right away to shut him or her up. This isn't always the case (poor Jessica Lunsford).

No, I'm talking about an older child being more difficult to get out of the house. They are bigger and more inclined to kick or yell yet these peds go right into their rooms and take them without any fear of being caught at all.

This was in our local (Iowa) paper today:
Autopsy Completed On Floyd Girl Found Dead

The state medical examiner has completed an autopsy on the body of Evelyn Miller.

The examiner is not saying how the 5-year-old girl died because the information is still part of a criminal investigation.

Evelyn's body was discovered in Cedar River at about 7:40 p.m. Wednesday.

Evelyn was last seen asleep in her family's apartment by two acquaintances of her mother's fiancé at about 2 a.m. last Friday.

Marilyn Dettmer, Floyd County's attorney, said no suspects are in custody.

The criminal investigation continues. Law enforcement officials searched the river on boats for any other traces of physical evidence and authorities also sealed off Rotary Park Road, which leads to the spot where the child's body was found.

Earlier this week, two men were questioned by authorities and a search of their residence was conducted, however authorities have not called them suspects.

Dettmer said 1,300 volunteers gave about 9,000 hours of their time to help in the search.

Evelyn would have turned 6 years old on Saturday.

A memorial fund has been set up. Those interested in contributing can do so at:

First Security Bank & Trust

809 Clark St.

P.O. Box 577

Charles City, IA 50616

Dettmer would not say what led searchers to find the girl's body in that location. She would not comment on the condition of the body or whether foul play contributed to the girl's death.

"We'll be able to make a better effort to address that question once we have the autopsy results," Dettmer said.

No arrests had been made as of Thursday evening, but investigators continued to look for clues near the Cedar River, and family members were called throughout the day to provide additional information, said Mary Neubauer, the family's spokeswoman.

http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050708/NEWS01/507080356/1001&lead=1

Television and radio stations and newspapers in at least 43 states, Washington, D.C., and the United Kingdom, published Associated Press wire stories or generated their own versions about the disappearance of 5-year-old Evelyn Miller. CNN dedicated 30 minutes to the case.

However, the young Iowa girl's disappearance does fit the profile that interests the public --- and the media, according to a Wartburg College professor. Authorities on Thursday confirmed a body believed to be that of Evelyn Miller was recovered in a remote area of the Cedar River.

"Small children, particularly young girls who are missing, capture attention because young children are so vulnerable and defenseless," said Jeff Stein, assistant professor of electronic media.

People instinctively want to protect children, Stein said.

Early interest in the case can be attributed to the element of the unknown.

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2005/07/08/news/top_story/doc42ceb6df260d8038947981.txt

evelynmiller.jpg

She is such a sweet little girl... the police need to get her some justice now

Even though Marilyn Dettmer, Floyd County's attorney, has not yet said that it is a homicide case, there are indications that authorities are treating it as a murder investigation.

The state medical examiner has completed an autopsy on the body of Evelyn Miller.

The examiner is not saying how the 5-year-old girl died because the information is still part of a criminal investigation.

Evelyn's body was discovered.

Evelyn would have turned 6 years old on Saturday.

http://www.theiowachannel.com/news/4699786/detail.html

Sleep softly in God's arm's and wake with remembrances of pleasant dreams. Today you would have been 6.

Floyd County officials said late Friday afternoon that they have issued several search warrants in the death of a 5-year-old girl.

Marilyn Dettmer, Floyd County's attorney, issued a statement saying that several search warrants were issued but she did not elaborate.

Detter also said in the statement that the state medical examiner is not finished with the autopsy of the body. The results have yet to be released.

Officials have not yet labelled the case a homicide, but they are calling it a crime.

http://www.theiowachannel.com/news/4701541/detail.html

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2005/07/10/news/iowa/dc6c1cb5536d41f08625703a000f9fc9.txt

Randy Patrie and Dan Slick, who share an apartment in Charles City, said they went to police after hearing that Evelyn had disappeared.

While police say the two men are not suspects, Patrie and Slick said police are treating them as if they are.

"They tell us that we're not suspects," Patrie said Friday. "Yet they asked us some real sick and pathetic questions. They're talking like Dan and I are guilty, like they're just waiting for the evidence. I'm sick of this."

Police searched their apartment last Monday.

Patrie said neither he nor Slick had anything to do with Evelyn Miller's disappearance or her death.

"We have done nothing but cooperated," he said. "Anytime they (authorities) wanted to talk, we've talked."

Patrie said he met Evelyn's mother about a dozen times and Frederiksen four or five times.

Slick said his 2-year-old daughter lives in the same apartment as Miller and played with Evelyn.

They said they had been out drinking that night and noticed a television was on at Miller's apartment about 2 a.m.

Patrie said they decided to stop and see Frederiksen. When they knocked, Evelyn answered the door, he said.

"She opened it right away. We asked if Casey was up, or if he was asleep. She said he was sleeping."

Patrie said that he and Slick decided to leave and went home.

"When we left, that little girl was safe," Patrie said.

He said he learned later that morning from his mother that Evelyn was missing.

"When we heard that, we went to the police," Patrie said. "If we hadn't, they might not even know we were there."

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2005/07/10/news/iowa/dc6c1cb5536d41f08625703a000f9fc9.txt

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynichick
Back