Found Deceased IA - Jake Wilson, 16, La Porte City, 07 Apr 2018 *autistic*

Remains were found both in and around Wolf Creek. I believe they said down stream. Area had been searched before. Kayakers found them on Tues. and LE have been searching the area since then with equipment.

So sad.

Just want to point out for future cases how many times we see this after someone is finally found.

"Area had been searched before"

We have to remember that it is very common that people are missed during early searches. We need to search, search, and search it again and again until we really are sure the person is no longer possibly there.

This is all too common and there are many reasons why a body is not always found the first time an area is searched. Things like

*People in early searches are anxious to help and its very common that people search too quickly as they want to keep moving to other new areas to look.

Sometimes a better approach is to take 3-5 steps and then count to 20 while looking all around yourself. Then rinse and repeat. It will seem like way too slow but will allow a more careful search.

*A body may be very well hidden by brush or other debri and so even if you are standing one foot away from a body you still may not see it.

When I used to quail hunt years ago the dogs would hit on an area and freeze and we would know the quail were there but for the life of us we could not see them until they all flew up in a wild sounding flush. Sometimes they were right at our feet and you still could not see them until they flew and brushed by your pantlegs as they flew up.

*Environment can change over time allowing a body to be seen. With the four seasons and as growth and brush begins to die off in the fall and winter this allows things to be better seen sometimes. The opposite can also be true if leaves begin to fall all over the place covering the ground more.

Rivers and streams have a changing level and changing current so depending on when a search takes place can make all the difference in spotting a body.

*Animals may move parts of a body as time goes on which could allow a body to be found.

*The condition and appearance of a body changes over time as decomposition takes place. A morbid example of this is when white bones begin to show then they may be able to be spotted as more time goes on.

*Many other reasons like this that causes a body to be found in an area already searched.

Sheriff says what they found is consistent with what they expected to find - implying this is where he died, they don't believe he was moved. Won't speculate on what happened but reiterated the finding is consistent with what they thought they would find.

Not sure I can blame the dad. I mean, maybe he blames them for good reason. I'm not saying they did anything - but he obviously knows more than we do and must have come to that conclusion somehow. Having said that, even if his blame of them is unfounded, I can't imagine the anger he feels right now.

I sympathize with the grief stricken father. But I feel for the stepfather too. Trying to 'watch' a 16 yr old with special needs is so very difficult. they have the same teen angst, and hormonal, rebellious streak as any 16 yr old boy does. It is hard to totally corral them.

If he really wanted to take off, it'd be hard to prevent it. You are met with a 16 yr old that is going to give you rational arguments about them being 'nearly grown.' Even if they are autistic or have other special needs, they will give you valid teen arguments for independence. And you need to listen to those requests because you want them to mature and be responsible.

It is so hard. My heart goes out to them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back