IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

blueclouds

Former member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Jodi Huisentruit went missing and has been presumed dead. I have always wondered about this case. I have always had a nagging feeling that she's been held captive all this time. No proof though. But a stalker would probably love to keep his victim alive if he could carry out his fantasies.
One of the SICKEST things is that if you GOOGLE her name, bondage fantasies come up like crazy. So many sickos would love to believe she's being held as a sex slave. I cannot imagine.
Here are some links:

http://www.state.ia.us/government/dps/dci/mpic/huisentruitj.htm
http://showcase.netins.net/web/keithh/missing.htm
http://users.1st.net/mwells/JodiHuisentruit.htm
http://www.fallenwall.org/jsh.html
http://showcase.netins.net/web/keithh/missing2.htm
The Des Moines Register

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read a few things here and there , but I wonder what the police department is really hiding?

Hiding information, as in 'it's a conspiracy'? Or else restricting it from certain individuals in order to protect the integrity of the case?

When police refuse to discuss a case or else refuse to provide answers in regard to specific questions it's because they have their reasons - especially in a very, very high-profile case such as this one. The last thing the police or prosecution want is to compromise the investigation that they've been working on for 25 years. One small mistake and the defense will that that and run with it, and then the next thing you know the suspects have gotten away with committing kidnapping and murder.

It's not like the police don't want to release information to those they believe could possibly help them, hut unless that person has a specific right to that information it will simply be kept under the lock and key of a strong psyche...

The description doesn't seem to be very correlative though, sadly.
Just for the heck of it, I checked a few other Jane Does. This is what I have so far. I don't know if any of these are Jodi, but I will keep checking jane does just in case. Kentucky- July 22, 2005 Female skeleton 20 to 40 years of age. 530ufky
Mississippi- June 18, 2001 partial female skeleton 20 to 35 years old
Died of blunt force trauma to head.
Mississippi-January 14, 2014 Partial female skeleton found with necklace and tire jack. 1248ufms
I will keep comparing Jane for possibilities.

Just for the heck of it, I checked a few other Jane Does. This is what I have so far. I don't know if any of these are Jodi, but I will keep checking jane does just in case. Kentucky- July 22, 2005 Female skeleton 20 to 40 years of age. 530ufky
Mississippi-January 14, 2014 Partial female skeleton found with necklace and tire jack. 1248ufms

Links for posterity: (Please provide links rather than just the ids as many will not recognise where they are from or know how to locate the case from them)
530UFKY
1248UFMS

DOE 1248ufms doesn't seem very likely as the height is far off. As for 530ufky, then the distances involved are significant (~700 miles - Google Maps), but not impossible.
NamUS is another good database to search, though I have made a preliminary search without any results.

Do you have more details on the Mississippi case? Her last phone call was supposedly with friends in Mississippi. A 'wonderful friendship' remembered • Find Jodi Huisentruit

Tiger Stripes, this whole case is mind-boggling. And now the people who are trying to bring Jodi home are fighting with each other about strategy and the connotations of words used. Behind the scenes is MCPD stirring up the dissent. What does it all mean? The simplest explanation is usually the best one. The Mason City Police Department badly handled this case from the beginning, and few people in the media, law enforcement or political spheres are willing to expose the mishandling. And when well-intentioned people like Steve Ridge or Maria Ohl or Representative Kooiker get involved, they hit a wall because ultimately there are people in Mason City and in the Police Department who work behind the scenes to smear the truth seekers. And it's because the MCPD can legally hide behind the "protecting the case" mantra.

Ask yourself the question - why did MCPD oppose Rep Kooiker's proclamation and try to convince Jodi's sister to oppose the proclamation but yet MCPD supports billboards around town? It's because the billboards have MCPD's phone number and MCPD can control the leads and MCPD is panicked about national attention being drawn to this case that lead to a situation where national media is calling for an independent investigation.

Why is MCPD angry with Steve Ridge to the point they are trying to stir people up against him? Is it because Steve Ridge is forcing people to realize that the groupthink assumptions about John Van Sice being the prime person of interest all these years could be well-reasoned but actually wrong?

Law enforcement should be solving this case. But at this point, only an angered media or family of Jodi can break this loose. This case will not be solved unless a hard hitting, famous and well-funded truth seeker in the media gets involved and breaks the spell of "let's give Mason City Police Department another free pass".

Why the did the former Chief of Police steal her journal from the department as a souvenir? Why was her Mazda not impounded longer? Why did lead detective Frank Stearns retire so quietly this year without so much as a retirement party or article in the local paper? Why did Chief Michael Lashbrook retire in 2015 shortly after the dust-up over the state proclamation? Why is current Chief Jeff Brinkley so dissatisfied that he started looking for other jobs within a year of being in Mason City?

Statement from Jodi’s Network of Hope organization – Frozen Truth

Tiger Stripes, this whole case is mind-boggling. And now the people who are trying to bring Jodi home are fighting with each other about strategy and the connotations of words used. Behind the scenes is MCPD stirring up the dissent. What does it all mean? The simplest explanation is usually the best one. The Mason City Police Department badly handled this case from the beginning, and few people in the media, law enforcement or political spheres are willing to expose the mishandling. And when well-intentioned people like Steve Ridge or Maria Ohl or Representative Kooiker get involved, they hit a wall because ultimately there are people in Mason City and in the Police Department who work behind the scenes to smear the truth seekers. And it's because the MCPD can legally hide behind the "protecting the case" mantra.

Ask yourself the question - why did MCPD oppose Rep Kooiker's proclamation and try to convince Jodi's sister to oppose the proclamation but yet MCPD supports billboards around town? It's because the billboards have MCPD's phone number and MCPD can control the leads and MCPD is panicked about national attention being drawn to this case that lead to a situation where national media is calling for an independent investigation.

Why is MCPD angry with Steve Ridge to the point they are trying to stir people up against him? Is it because Steve Ridge is forcing people to realize that the groupthink assumptions about John Van Sice being the prime person of interest all these years could be well-reasoned but actually wrong?

Law enforcement should be solving this case. But at this point, only an angered media or family of Jodi can break this loose. This case will not be solved unless a hard hitting, famous and well-funded truth seeker in the media gets involved and breaks the spell of "let's give Mason City Police Department another free pass".

Why the did the former Chief of Police steal her journal from the department as a souvenir? Why was her Mazda not impounded longer? Why did lead detective Frank Stearns retire so quietly this year without so much as a retirement party or article in the local paper? Why did Chief Michael Lashbrook retire in 2015 shortly after the dust-up over the state proclamation? Why is current Chief Jeff Brinkley so dissatisfied that he started looking for other jobs within a year of being in Mason City?

Statement from Jodi’s Network of Hope organization – Frozen Truth

I don't disagree most of your premise, but my question would be do you think the explanation you suggested is a good enough purpose to warrant covering up the case? Also, I thought of two cases and was wondering what you think would happen (if your theory is correct) - the first is if they do manage to identify the murderer(s) and the second is if the cover-up became exposed?

I wish I knew. All I have is an armchair, a cup of good coffee and google. I highly doubt they are colluding with the real killer and covering it up - because that would be a difficult secret to keep. Perhaps there is someone close to the higher-ups in Mason City with history that could mean they would be a good POI, but if they focused on that person it would uncover either A) prior mishandling of the leads B) expose unrelated misconduct.

As someone with experience in law enforcement, I am unsettled by the fact that a detective had Jodi's driver's license on his wall. That's what I call mishandling of evidence. Am I being picky? perhaps. But add that to the other items in my previous post and you have evidence of an agency in over their heads.

Huisentruit investigators live with frustration, hope (June 27, 2010)

And then you see Rep Kooiker's rather surreal statement in 2016 that "The chief’s mysterious reaction, manifested through the mayor, makes sense if the Mason City Police Department is mishandling this case. Indeed, I soon realized certain leads first filed in 2008 had been ignored for at least seven years." And he was on the State House public safety committee and my research of him indicates he is a reasoned and thoughtful person, driven not by publicity but by the loss of his own daughter at age 27.

Kooiker: Disappearance of Huisentruit remains troubling

I'm unsettled as to why Mason City paid $95,000 to former Officer Maria Ohl and signed an NDA with her if supposedly she was so off base. And she actually went so far as to name law enforcement as the killers, including the detective who kept Jodi's driver's license on his wall. Maria Ohl made a huge mistake in making her accusations in the way that she did, and perhaps she was off base in theory but maybe she was too close for comfort.

Fired officer, Mason City, settle federal lawsuit for $95,000 (November 9, 2012)

Close counts in horseshoes and hand grenades and not as much in cold cases. Perhaps Maria Ohl believed leads were not being followed up on because LE being involved in the disappearance, when it was probably that they were ignoring other leads to protect past mishandling rather than direct involvement in the crime. And the answer that "it was easier to settle than fight" than settle doesn't make sense because the $95,000 was at the point of the deductible being met....Most municipal deductibles for liability cases like this are $100,000. SO, this probably means Mason City was desperate to settle, didn't want the insurance company lawyers involved taking depositions, and the NDA underscores that point. If Mason City's insurer forced the settlement, it weakens my theory, but it could also mean the insurer knew there was a significant liability for them if this went into the courts.

Last edited:
As someone with experience in law enforcement, I am unsettled by the fact that a detective had Jodi's driver's license on his wall. That's what I call mishandling of evidence. Am I being picky? perhaps. But add that to the other items in my previous post and you have evidence of an agency in over their heads.
What is the significance of keeping her driver's license up on the wall? Guilt?

I'm unsettled as to why Mason City paid $95,000 to former Officer Maria Ohl and signed an NDA with her if supposedly she was so off base. And she actually went so far as to name law enforcement as the killers, including the guy who kept Jodi's driver's license on his wall. Maria Ohl made a huge mistake in making her accusations in the way that she did, and perhaps she was off base in theory but maybe she was close. Maybe she confused mishandling with involvement.
From what I know of LE it's almost like a brotherhood due to the reliance on each-other. Wouldn't it take something very significant for her to have made such a claim? What are the chances that she was just a bad egg? I cannot recall how long she was in the force, but to mind it wasn't an insignificant amount of time, so surely she would be familiar with the law, and also aware of prior cases of mishandling by LE (for whatever reason - lack of funding, ect.)? Also how suspicious is an NDA with regards to LE? Thinking about it I expect it isn't very, but you will have a better idea.

Close counts in horseshoes and hand grenades and not as much in cold cases. Perhaps Maria Ohl believed leads were not being followed up on because LE being involved in the disappearance, when it was probably that they were ignoring other leads to protect past mishandling and not necessarily direct involvement in the crime. And the answer that "it was easier to settle than fight" than settle doesn't make sense because the $95,000 was at the point of the deductible being met....Most municipal deductibles for liability cases like this are $100,000. SO, this probably means Mason City was desperate to settle, didn't want the insurance company lawyers involved taking depositions, and the NDA underscores that point. If Mason City's insurer forced the settlement, it weakens my theory, but it could also mean the insurer knew there was a significant liability for them if this went into the courts.
Isn't mishandling/lack of resources common (sadly) throughout the US (and the world, pretty much)? Why would they get so worried about it being exposed? Also, if they had a strong case why were they desperate to settle? Is it often that LE agencies lose cases to officers? Another thing that concerns me is how Ohl seemed to accept the settlement without a fight. If she was really sincere then surely she would have continued fighting the case? Could it indicate her being forced?

Do you have more details on the Mississippi case? Her last phone call was supposedly with friends in Mississippi. A 'wonderful friendship' remembered • Find Jodi Huisentruit
All I know so far is cause of death was blunt force to the head. Time frame and age fits. Jodi may have been struck in head.

All I know so far is cause of death was blunt force to the head. Time frame and age fits. Jodi may have been struck in head.
Repost of IA - IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Mason City, 27 June 1995 - Anchorwoman?https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...1995-anchorwoman.36810/page-51#post-15644586?

Links for posterity: (Please provide links rather than just the ids as many will not recognise where they are from or know how to locate the case from them)
530UFKY
1248UFMS

DOE 1248ufms doesn't seem very likely as the height is far off. As for 530ufky, then the distances involved are significant (~700 miles - Google Maps), but not impossible.
NamUS is another good database to search, though I have made a preliminary search without any results.
I don't remember how to post links. I got the information by googling Doe Network geographic locator. I also have the namus numbers now. The one from June 18, 2001 is namus number up4734. Case number 2001-0860. The one from January 14, 2014 is namus number 12953. Case number ME14-0068. It's odd that one of them was found with a tire jack. I wonder if they meant to say tire Iron?

I never realized she had any connection to Mississippi.
530UFKY
1248UFMS

700 miles is a long way, but you never know what these killers might do. Sometimes they do take their victims to other states. In comparisons, I look at age and overall description. If the clothing seems a little wrong, that's ok. Nothing I've found previously was a match to anyone. There are many missing persons and unidentified found victims. I wish they put them all online so more people could try to match them up.

I wish they put them all online so more people could try to match them up.
100%

I don't remember how to post links. I got the information by googling Doe Network geographic locator. I also have the namus numbers now. The one from June 18, 2001 is namus number up4734. Case number 2001-0860. The one from January 14, 2014 is namus number 12953. Case number ME14-0068. It's odd that one of them was found with a tire jack. I wonder if they meant to say tire Iron?
To post a link use these icons:
upload_2019-12-18_8-53-50.png
As for tire jack I think this (https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Steel-Jack-Stands-Capacity/dp/B0753MMRN7?ref=fsclp_pb_dp_1) is what was meant.

Reading through this whole thread, I am 50/50 on whether this was done by someone in her life or a stranger who had been stalking her. We know there was precedence for someone following her and harassing her, possibly, with the crank phone calls and also her saying she felt someone was following her while jogging.

Folks have mentioned one issue with this theory is that she was running pretty late that morning, so wouldn't a stalker have taken off if she didn't stick to her normal schedule. However, in this interview with AK, she says this: "She was often late. About once a week. I would call her and wake her up…and she’d be in to work within 20 minutes." Interview with Amy Kuns • Find Jodi Huisentruit

So if someone was stalking her and watching her schedule, once a week is pretty regular to be running late. It's possible he knew this, knew that some mornings she would randomly go in later, and so it didn't throw him off that morning that she left later. Even that close to the Summer solstice, Google tells me sunrise in Mason City was 5:35 AM that day. So it would still probably be pitch dark shortly after 4 AM or around 430 AM. I don't think light would have scared the guy off.

I definitely haven't ruled out it being someone who knew her or the POI mentioned with this case, but I'm not ready to rule out a stalker/stranger either. If it was JV, I question why he would have chosen to do this in a public place (an apartment parking lot with other tenants possibly leaving or looking out their window if they hear a commotion is public IMO) when he had plenty of times it sounds like he was hanging out with her privately alone, even the previous night. Why do this when you could have witnesses if you didn't have to?

Reading through this whole thread, I am 50/50 on whether this was done by someone in her life or a stranger who had been stalking her. We know there was precedence for someone following her and harassing her, possibly, with the crank phone calls and also her saying she felt someone was following her while jogging.

Folks have mentioned one issue with this theory is that she was running pretty late that morning, so wouldn't a stalker have taken off if she didn't stick to her normal schedule. However, in this interview with AK, she says this: "She was often late. About once a week. I would call her and wake her up…and she’d be in to work within 20 minutes." Interview with Amy Kuns • Find Jodi Huisentruit

So if someone was stalking her and watching her schedule, once a week is pretty regular to be running late. It's possible he knew this, knew that some mornings she would randomly go in later, and so it didn't throw him off that morning that she left later. Even that close to the Summer solstice, Google tells me sunrise in Mason City was 5:35 AM that day. So it would still probably be pitch dark shortly after 4 AM or around 430 AM. I don't think light would have scared the guy off.

I definitely haven't ruled out it being someone who knew her or the POI mentioned with this case, but I'm not ready to rule out a stalker/stranger either. If it was JV, I question why he would have chosen to do this in a public place (an apartment parking lot with other tenants possibly leaving or looking out their window if they hear a commotion is public IMO) when he had plenty of times it sounds like he was hanging out with her privately alone, even the previous night. Why do this when you could have witnesses if you didn't have to?
Do you think DH, in Iowa prison, could have been involved?

The more I read about this case, the less I believe that JV had anything to do with it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back