IA IA - Maureen Brubaker Farley, 17, Cedar Rapids, Sept 1971

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Robin Hood, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Robin Hood

Robin Hood New Member

http://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/maureen-farley/

On Friday, September 24, 1971, two young boys out hunting discovered a woman’s body atop the trunk lid of an abandoned car in a wooded ravine near Cedar Rapids’ southwest edge. The victim was 17-year-old Maureen Brubaker Farley, a newly married woman not much older than the boys who found her

Missing, too, were several pairs of shoes: a pair of yellow patent leather dress shoes; white work shoes; brown sandals; brown moccasins. Vanous made it clear that if anyone found any of the missing items, they were to report to police where the items were found and when.

2. Loading...

3. Hilda Swenson

Hilda Swenson New Member

There are a couple of contradictions in the article. For one, how her body came to be on the car:
    the article then goes on to say:
    also a comment from the letter written by Violet Fowler, the mother of one of the boys who found Maureen to her mother:
    Also fascinating in this article are the comments at the bottom including a few from "Kevin" one of the boys who found her.

I'm a little confused though about some of her personal items that were missing. The article states:
    BBM~ Where were these items? In her purse that was missing? Missing from her room? Was she carrying another bag? The article doesn't give any indication.

4. Robin Hood

Robin Hood New Member

We need more clarification really. Those shoes are a puzzle.

One of the posters (Kim) on the original article has added a theory that might explain the shoes. I'm more inclined to think he returned to her room and took the shoes after the murder.
    Also, the man who was there watching Kevin and his friend, that's odd. Kim thinks it would be unlikely that he happened to be there just as she was found, but I'm still thinking stranger things have happened.
    I think Maureen's sister posted on the blog, she would know more.

5. Robin Hood

Robin Hood New Member

6. Backwoods

Backwoods New Member

I'm a little baffled, too, about how they knew the contents of the purse -- had someone seen inside it recently who was able to tell LE what she most likely would have been carrying?

7. Robin Hood

Robin Hood New Member

I don't know Backwoods but somebody knew what shoes were missing too. I doubt it was a random guess.

8. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

9. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

One of the many murder victiims found without shoes...

[...]
    For more than four decades, Schenzel and her family have been left with questions: Why was Farley, only 17 years old, killed? Who did it? Will an arrest ever be made or a suspect positively identified?

Farley’s body was found on the trunk lid of a car by two boys who had gone hunting that day. At first, they assumed the woman was asleep.

The cause of death was determined to be a blow to her head.

[...]
    Police said she borrowed money that day to buy a pack of cigarettes, but never showed up to collect her paycheck from the restaurant where she worked. Part of the pack of cigarettes was found in her room.

Police said when Farley’s body was found, her shoes were missing, and there was evidence she had been placed on the car. Her purse also was missing.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/public-safety/were-not-giving-up-on-cold-cases-20150926

10. citigirl

citigirl Member

I am thinking about Maureen today, and hoping that some day there will be some answers for her family.