IA - Michelle Martinko, 18, Cedar Rapids, 19 Dec 1979

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by OkieGranny, Dec 29, 2014.

1. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

[​IMG]

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/cold-case-spotlight/cold-case-spotlight-michelle-martinko-n275866

http://www.cbs2iowa.com/news/featur...xclusive-killed-michelle-martinko-32593.shtml

http://thegazette.com/2009/12/20/30-years-ago-murder-of-teen-haunts-those-who-knew-her/

2. Loading...

3. Derek

Derek New Member

No robbery, no sexual assault. DNA cleared more than 70 people she knew. Could this have been an obsessive stalker she had never met or barely knew? It's one of the few remaining possibilities that makes sense to me.

4. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Someone in the Serial Killers forum suggested Michelle could have been one of DeBardeleben's victims. I haven't looked into that, so I don't know if he was even in the area at the time. Surely LE would have his DNA in the system, though.

5. Derek

Derek New Member

I looked up James DeBardeleben and it seems like he could have been anywhere in the US when Michelle was murdered. Interesting theory though.

6. :+:MrTT:+:

:+:MrTT:+: Cold Case Files

And how many of those cleared by DNA were female?

Just did a google search for I had forgotten. They say DNA can determine the sex. What they have they believe there looking for a Male.
    Not telling where they found this is strange. It would have to be in the car , door etc.

If I was a betting man I would bet this was done by female. But they seem certain there killer is male. But I have my doubts.

So testing females would not be an option since they collected DNA from a man.

I believe it was female regardless of the DNA. 19 times, stabbed. Including the face. From the cases I have read a man in that situation would have stabbed her several times in the chest, and perhaps slid her throat. But the stabbing to the face, 19 times total leads me to believe it was done by a jealous female for whatever reason.

7. annegrete

annegrete New Member

I was thinking the same thing, Mr. T- a female killed her. Stabbing her in the face 19 times- they wanted to destroy her beauty.

8. annoulzz

annoulzz New Member

I agree as well considering she didn't get along with most of the girls at school.

9. PastTense

PastTense New Member

http://www.cbs2iowa.com/news/featur...ice-receive-leads-martinko-murder-34006.shtml

10. TroyinTX

TroyinTX New Member

Glad to see this case on here. I lived in Cedar Rapids for a few years in the mid 2000's and heard about this case several times. It definitely tainted Westdale Mall's image because I remember people talking about it being the "Murder Mall" even all those years later. Definitely seemed very personal.

11. Whiskers16

Whiskers16 Active Member

12. jimallbright

jimallbright New Member