Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybervampira

Reaction score
MISSING: Search ongoing for 20-year-old UI Student

MISSING PERSON. 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts is missing. Last seen on 7/19/18 possibly wearing denim shorts and a red t shirt. Last seen in Brooklyn. If you have any information please call 641 623-5679.
upload_2018-7-20_19-6-46.jpeg

Poweshiek County Emergency Management Agency

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11

Thread #12

IA - MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINES - NO DISCUSSION - Molly Tibbetts,20, Poweshiek County

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting guidelines:

* We do not sleuth or accuse people who have not been named by LE as suspects or POI's.

* Do not link to social networking pages of people who have not been named by LE as suspects/POI. The few exceptions are victims' pages, LE and MSM pages.

* Questions about the rules or mod decisions should be addressed to a mod in a private message. DO NOT discuss them in the thread.

* If you see a post that violates TOS, please do not reply to it. Alert the post ASAP.

* If you quote a post which later is removed by a mod, your post is subject to removal, as well.

*Websleuths is a fact based site. Provide a MSM link for your assertions. Rumors are not allowed. Sites such as reddit or sub-reddit are not approved to be linked, referenced or discussed.

Welcome new members
Our website name is a bit of a misnomer. It does not mean that we sleuth everybody and anybody connected to a crime. We don't sleuth potential suspects or a member's favorite pet suspect of the day or week. Along with the victim, we only sleuth those who have been specifically named or designated as a suspect or POI by law enforcement.

When law enforcement refuses to state who is a suspect, who isn’t a suspect or if there are any suspects that does not mean the door is open to randomly accuse anyone we want. Again -We only sleuth those who have been specifically named or designated as a suspect or POI by law enforcement.

Our standards are unique and different then other sites in that we are victim friendly. Victim friendly includes the victim, victim's family, and friends. To uphold the integrity of a case and to respect the victim we don't allow rumor. Information garnered from facebook comments is considered rumor. We sleuth true crime evidence such as aerial maps, crime scene photos, timelines etc which are verifiable or supported by mainstream media, law enforcement, court documents or a court of law.

Please become familiar with our rules before posting as they are strictly enforced and offer more detail than I have written. By enlisting as a member you have agreed to abide and adhere by our terms of service.

Rules - Etiquette & Information

Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

To familiarize yourself with Mollie's case check the links at this section:
IA - MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINES - NO DISCUSSION - Molly Tibbetts,20, Poweshiek County

Last edited:
Long time members:
The best way to assist the moderators and administrators is to refrain from quoting a post that is offensive or violates TOS.

Members are not moderators, so please do not try to moderate the threads on your own as it tends to create hard feelings in the threads.

If you have an issue with a post or a member, please click on the Report/Alert feature to notify WS staff about the problem and we will review it and act accordingly. That is what WS Mods and Admin are here for.

Thanks.

Last edited:
What I can't reconcile is that LE isn't telling the public that they are in danger etc. If she was abducted, they'd at least have a duty to warn then to be vigilant and careful etc? Lock doors etc? Even if they didn't know who?
Does that mean if abducted, it's someone she personally knew and this was targeted and specific? I can't reconcile this aspect. Anyone?

One theory I've not seen brought up. I'm not from Brooklyn, but had a lake home there many years ago so am familiar with the area/town, etc. Holiday Lake is a private lake just north of Brooklyn with a lot of homes. Many folks live there year-round while others are get-away lake homes. I know some come from as far away as Chicago & I've heard Tom Arnold even has a home there. When I lived there, you had to drive back into Brooklyn to get necessities so the lake dwellers got into town from time to time. I could see a scenario where someone from the lake could have seen her jogging & took the opportunity to take her back to a more private setting. You could live out there & be pretty anonymous for years if you kept to yourself since the lake population is so mixed with locals & out-of-towners. Just a theory.

As I have said earlier, I lean toward an abduction (or manipulation) at the hands of an acquaintance...most probably while jogging/walking in a remote area.

However, because the parents and LE seem to sometimes talk as if Mollie might be being controlled by/taken by a dysfunctional person who might not kill her, I am trying to think about less likely scenarios that might fit this.

Mollie wants to study psychology. And she works in a day care at a hospital. So it stands to reason she's big hearted and wants to have a positive impact on the world. It's possible, then, that out of kindness, she's the type of person who would maintain relationships with individuals who are particularly needy, in an effort to help them.

If a person in that scenario reached out to her, claimed they needed support, and she feared for their well-being...might she have been willing to go with them (short term) to see them through the danger. And then found herself in a scenario she couldn't get out of.

Again, not my most likely scenario, but trying to think of other avenues we haven't explored fully. Were their kids she went to high school with who were a little bit troubled, who she had a history of being kind to? Was there anyone involved in her workplace who was emotionally draining, but who she sought to support and encourage?

This could be another way of interpreting the "Who is Mollie" or "getting to know Mollie" comments. They could be asking, what is it about Mollie and her personality that might create conditions where she'd be willing to go with someone? And, if so, which of the people in her life meet those conditions?

It is possible that the perp returned to that area and smashed the Fitbit (that would show the last area it was in if GPS showed up) and then he took it elsewhere to dispose of the broken Fitbit.

This could mean that the perp was well acquainted with how Fitbits and other technical devices worked.

Perhaps this is the area that the perp frequented, either to his home or his work.

The Fitbit information that the authorities received could show that area as the last place the Fitbit was.

But then the data they received from the Fitbit company would also show what areas prior to this Mollie was.

So I am wrong in this thinking.

I am trying to think of what pointed the authorities to search there. I guess it wasn't the Fitbit information.

ETA: I left this post to show just how puzzled I am in this case.

Since LE is saying they don't know what happened, if this was a stranger abduction or not, one would think they would warn the people of Brooklyn to be aware of their surroundings, keep on the buddy system, keep your doors locked and by all means keep an eye on your children.
The fact that they haven't done this is telling, to me. I think LE has a POI in mind and that person is not a danger to the rest of the community. jmo

One theory I've not seen brought up. I'm not from Brooklyn, but had a lake home there many years ago so am familiar with the area/town, etc. Holiday Lake is a private lake just north of Brooklyn with a lot of homes. Many folks live there year-round while others are get-away lake homes. I know some come from as far away as Chicago & I've heard Tom Arnold even has a home there. When I lived there, you had to drive back into Brooklyn to get necessities so the lake dwellers got into town from time to time. I could see a scenario where someone from the lake could have seen her jogging & took the opportunity to take her back to a more private setting. You could live out there & be pretty anonymous for years if you kept to yourself since the lake population is so mixed with locals & out-of-towners. Just a theory.
While I still think it's a known acquaintance involved, I like the way you're exploring additional possibilities. It could also be a postal employee or package delivery person, a service person of some kind, who works in the area and has had an opportunity to observe or interact with Mollie, but lives elsewhere.

This case is getting a lot of support from the FBI and LE... that is good to see. As WS'rs know, there are far too many of these cases and we aren't doing enough to solve them.
In this case my insights lead me to favor the following theories:

1) Perp is someone close to her(personally or proximal geographically) or connected to someone close to her. It is somewhat of a movie type fantasy to think that a serial type killer just suddenly appears out of nowhere, with no one seeing anything to abduct a random girl in a very small town in a rural area. Odds are highly against it. It is most likely that this is someone she knew directly or peripherally, or at least they knew who she was. I think the timeline has some value to possibly rule out some people if their alibis are iron-clad. So far I haven't seen anything released that actually rules anyone out. The window of her disappearance seems fairly wide, by at least 9 hrs. Because of her relationship, where she lived, shared vehicle arrangement, etc... she would have been in frequent contact with multiple people. LE should reasonably be able to establish a much narrower time of her actual disappearance. In this day, even in such a town, someone of her age is going to be using phone, social media, etc... a lot and so if there were some other guy involved there would be traces of that there. If no traces at all, then it would be someone pursuing her much closer to home <modsnipped>
2) If it's not someone directly close to her or someone she was communicating with, then the theories that it's someone connected to someone close to her make sense. That should be able to be deduced through a lot of legwork. Other possibilities exist for transient contact. For example, was there a Fair or Carnival nearby around that time? Summer is a time for Fairs and Carnivals and it's no secret that people that do that kind of work often come with criminal histories. If she caught someone's eye, they might have pursued that... however we have a similar problem here as with a random act or a serial professional(which are extremely unlikely) - someone should have saw something. To get to her, where she was living, to know where she was and be watching... that would be pretty obvious to her neighbors and locals. Out of town door to door sales people, delivery people, etc... people that would know she was there and could get close enough without raising suspicion.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I can't reconcile is that LE isn't telling the public that they are in danger etc. If she was abducted, they'd at least have a duty to warn then to be vigilant and careful etc? Lock doors etc? Even if they didn't know who?
Does that mean if abducted, it's someone she personally knew and this was targeted and specific? I can't reconcile this aspect. Anyone?
I have been thinking about this from the very beginning. At the first press conference, someone asked if the community was at risk. He answered after a lengthy silence, "I cannot tell you why Mollie is missing."

One of the other discussions I wanted to open in reading everyone's great comments relates to probabilities.

I keep asking myself a few questions.

2. If the person intended to abduct Mollie or convince her to leave with him (lesser possibility: her), what is more likely in your minds? That the person would choose to confront her A. on the roadside as she jogged, where cars could potentially pass by or that the person would B. confront her at her boyfriend's house--at the end of a long driveway, where only one house is close enough to possibly hear? I'm a little bit split on this myself, but because of my previous post about small town atmosphere,

OK for #2 - My opinion, at the moment - I initially thought she had been hit by a car or truck. I honestly thought it might have been an accident and the person panicked. However, as more time as passed if she was struck it seems more reasonable to me now - only because they have not come forward- that it was intentional.

Since we don't have a map with three separate highlighted routes so we can talk more specifics I opened google maps and of course her run began when she left the house. Which way did she run? There are three options - run toward town immediately past the Electrical Coop bldg, run past her neighbor's across the street along the gravel road leading to Historic Hwy 6 and then turn left there and run back toward town, or run out the front or back door and take off along that gravel road 170 that leads to HWY 6. I see two different neighbors (not sure if anyone lives along those corn fields - over the hill closer to Hwy 6 is a particular curiosity) on that route she would pass right. Mainly there are corn fields with ditches on either side of that road and the road has a definite rise (hill which might be something she wanted to include in her run) so she would not be able to see a car parked on the other side as she ran, first as she ran toward Hwy 6 and then again when she turned around and ran toward Dalton's house. If someone had been watching her, he could have simply waited for this creature of habit to come over that rise.

Here is something else I have mulled over in my mind - who should have been on that street and would Mollie have any reason to be concerned or relaxed about an unknown car/truck close to Dalton's home? She did get there after 5 PM.

When I looked at the map google video mapped the street as concrete was being poured for a drive next to their property. I initially thought it was foundation work. Wondered if perhaps a garage or storage bldg went up blocking Mollie's view. But it appears to be a drive of some sort. As we have talked it seems this may be the drive for folks to drop off their payments or it is a drive where folks may think they should use to pay their bill. And the Co-Op has a drop so folks can show up at any hour of the day or night. So it makes perfect sense if Mollie saw any vehicle she could simply think it was someone who got off of work and was dropping off their payment! And since this area was known to her, she would not be on alert if a car or vehicle showed up at any hour most likely. The thing that struck me was the CO OP is on the same side of the street so it draws increased traffic to this road - relevant to the tiny population of the area of course, and more importantly close to Dalton's home. That biz has drives or parking places on either side. So someone could actually park on one side, even along the street itself and possibly walk a payment to the drop box.

We have a weird drop box for water bills here. It is on the front of a building next to the main doors. The normal hours of operation are limited and one has to get out and walk to reach the box. However the parking lot is behind the building. There is a way to park along the street too which is closer but you still have to get out of your car to reach the box. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen folks who park behind the building realize the box is not there and walk around the whole building to get to the drop box! We have a portico they could use but there also is a side entrance which helps to confuse. So on foot they go. They usually sneak through the portico/breezeway to get back to their car. In Brooklyn, the Co-op appears to be a solid building so folks may park and then have to walk around from either side, depending on where the box is, and then walk back to reach their vehicle. It would be so much easier to put drop boxes along the street like they did generations ago but sadly there are thieves who might just grab the drop box. So again, what we live with not so much designed with public safety in the foreground or apparently part of zoning regulations.

Also W DesMoines Street is a way for folks to get to Historic 6 or by turning up 170 to Hwy 6. So for me HWY 6 may be relevant - which one? Not sure.

Right now the public is stuck - on the run route, at the house - how about a combination?

I think the focal point is element of SURPRISE. That is what criminals use to gain the upper hand in my opinion.

That could come from being hit, confronted face to face, or at any point after making initial contact with someone she allowed close to her.

We often read or hear about conversational space - that point where we feel it is OK to safely interact with others. The more familiar we are with someone the shorter the distance. When it comes to safety I recall a class we all had to take during HS before we left for college. That distance had never been on my mind until that class. Then for the first time I learned why inches may matter. I believe that class helped to save my life.

I wonder if Mollie's school required such a class before she headed off to college?

Just my thoughts...

Agree. Take a look at first PC where the spokesperson struggles with this question in a big way and then go back to prior threads shortly after the PC where people spent hours debating exactly this point. My recollection is that the general consensus on this issue after the PC was that in part due to this answer that people were convinced MT knew the perp. LE would be irresponsible in not warning the public in the event they believed there was a danger to the public. Very interesting discussion that day on here and certainly worth a look IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod