Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Authorities say they are making progress in the investigation, and have come up with a solid timeline, but they can't release it publicly.

1 week later, search for Mollie Tibbetts continues

Officials told TV9 they have no leads they can share publicly.

Authorities reveal new details about Mollie Tibbetts investigation

folks, check your cell phones and social media accounts (including posting on this forum). how many times did you (or one of your kids) call, text, snap, facebook, insta, finsta, vsco, tweet or post yesterday. i'm older so i don't do social media but i texted or called at least 10 people last night. there's no way a social 20 year old who has a huge extended family in addition to having tons of friends only tweeted once, sent one snap (boyfriend) and called/texted once (mom) on any given evening. 3 communications in an entire night? not buying it. i think she spoke/texted/posted more than that and therein lies a key to her doings/whereabouts. it doesn't take 6 days for LE to unlock her digital footprint. maybe i'm being optimistic but i'm hoping they have a pretty good idea what happened, even if they have no clue as to her actual location...thoughts?
I agree. I think there is more communications out there than we know about, most importantly the last person she actually spoke with/communicated with. There is a fixation on the time line after she was dropped off on West Des Moines Street but the most important communications for investigators could have occurred earlier in the day or even the day before.

Also I’m starting to notice the running clothes description is being used and the red shirt not mentioned much anymore... it seemes that the family and LE are really trying to spread the message that she may have been running at the time of her disappearance. Wondering if that’s really what they think the timeline is or if they want someone to believe that’s what they think...

IMOO

ETA: like FruitSnack mentions below, the reports about her contacts and glasses have subtly disappeared along with the red shirt description. Wondering what they know and if it points more to her being on a run like they are posting everywhere or if they are trying to make a person responsible think they can be more comfortable if they think the timeline involving them has been taken off the table.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Regarding the text to her mom.
I/we had considered that perhaps Mollie didn't send that text. However, if a perp had replied to the mom's text wouldn't they have said, "no, I won't be able to make it" rather then OK?
For that reason, I do believe Mollie sent that text.

Also I’m starting to notice the running clothes description is being used and the red shirt not mentioned much anymore... it seemes that the family and LE are really trying to spread the message that she may have been running at the time of her disappearance. Wondering if that’s really what they think the timeline is or if they want someone to believe that’s what they think...

IMOO
I did wonder about this. It was mentioned at one point that the red shirt was missing, but nothing has been said about the outfit she may have been jogging in. If she made it home, and showered, it should be there, and that shouldn't be the outfit they are focused on. OTOH if they think she didn't make it home after the jog (despite the text to mom and the good-night SC), then why mention the red shirt in the first place? If I had to guess, I'd say she made it home, and something happened after that. (Did somebody follow her there?) But I think it should be pretty clear from the house whether or not she made it home.
And this throws more question into the corrective lenses. If she has as poor eyesight as has been reported, and I see no reason to doubt that, then there is no way she would have gone jogging without either glasses or lenses. Yet they said they thought they were all accounted for?

Just a hunch
...hoping the officials are checking on employees and frequent customers at the Co-op. The home she was staying at is wide open, it would be easy to watch comings and goings from the Co-op.

Also, it being such a small town, in the above scenario, the Perp most likely would know her or DJ/family/brothers.

JMO
That is an Electric Co-op. That is how electric utilities are done in rural areas - the customers are effectively the electric company. So it isn't like people go to the place often, or even at all.

I/we had considered that perhaps Mollie didn't send that text. However, if a perp had replied to the mom's text wouldn't they have said, "no, I won't be able to make it" rather then OK?
I tend to agree with you, but it is also true that "ok" is one of the quickest replies if somebody was busy and didn't want to be bothered.

While I think this is true I don’t understand why they would stop searches. They don’t have to release information to do searches and they will need her remains, if indeed this is bad news, for a strong case.

Anyone with past missing persons cases experience....

Do they ask the public to stop searching when they're pretty sure it is a recovery at that point? To save the family and public from finding someone who has passed?

*Unless they thought that the mom would follow up to a text saying she wasn’t coming for dinner and thought they be able to buy more time by just saying OK. It’s so generic that it would be less likely for it to sound “different” from Mollies usual texting lingo if it was kept short.

Anyone with past missing persons cases experience....
Do they ask the public to stop searching when they're pretty sure it is a recovery at that point? To save the family and public from finding someone who has passed?

Not in Canada. The continue until a body is found.

Sometimes they will wait for evidence if they think they have the suspect, and use it to get a plea so the guilty party will tell where the body is.

One thing that I've considered since I've read about this case and her going jogging, is perhaps a passing motorist. Would there be a possibility that she was struck by a vehicle while jogging and that person panicked? One of the cases I followed on here a few years back was a woman who had gone missing during her daily jog. I cannot remember her name, but will go back and look. There were posters/fliers, searches, etc. I think it was a pair of guys driving a work type truck that struck her and panicked. I really need to go back and look so that I'm not giving the wrong information on that.

To answer one person's question about the trip to DR. I'm in CO, and flying and staying in the DR is cheaper than even Mexico...it's a very cheap vacation place, food etc. I took my daughter two years ago when close to broke, so I'm pretty sure they could handle paying for it themselves, even with a low paying childcare job, you just have to be financially smart.
In CO, the police pretty much gave up looking for Adam G., and it's not like he was found far away, they simply passed him over and didn't see him for whatever reason...he was found a month later by the public. Had the goodbye type Insta post and all that. Appeared happy, new job etc. In the case of Rita, because they have a suspect, searches are still ongoing months later, and the public is encouraged to search. Honestly, I don't put a lot of faith in the police stating they have searched an area properly, it seems like many missing persons are found after a few passes. I would also like to know if they have searched the lake yet.

A drunk driver could have hit Mollie and then drug her body into a cornfield down the road to hide the evidence. As long as the little kids are kept out of the cornfields and people don't trample the corn, it doesn't hurt anything for people to start searching again.

FIND MOLLIE!

To answer one person's question about the trip to DR. I'm in CO, and flying and staying in the DR is cheaper than even Mexico...it's a very cheap vacation place, food etc. I took my daughter two years ago when close to broke, so I'm pretty sure they could handle paying for it themselves, even with a low paying childcare job, you just have to be financially smart.
In CO, the police pretty much gave up looking for Adam G., and it's not like he was found far away, they simply passed him over and didn't see him for whatever reason...he was found a month later by the public. Had the goodbye type Insta post and all that. Appeared happy, new job etc. In the case of Rita, because they have a suspect, searches are still ongoing months later, and the public is encouraged to search. Honestly, I don't put a lot of faith in the police stating they have searched an area properly, it seems like many missing persons are found after a few passes. I would also like to know if they have searched the lake yet.

Ty!

A drunk driver could have hit Mollie and then drug her body into a cornfield down the road to hide the evidence. As long as the little kids are kept out of the cornfields and people don't trample the corn, it doesn't hurt anything for people to start searching again.

FIND MOLLIE!
That's where my head was at with this one. Maybe the SC message was sent earlier and he just opened it later. Puzzling for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member