Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one that doesn't fit:
She left her ID, likely inside her wallet, at the boyfriend's house.

She would have taken her wallet or purse to a friend's house to spend the night in case she needed money or credit cards to buy a snack, but she didn't.

I’m really not sure she’d need her ID or money. She’s not 21 so she doesn’t need it to go to the bar, whether she needs money or not would depend on where she’s going and what she’s doing.

And if the red shirt is NOT red herring, then I think whoever took her knew to take that shirt to throw off the timeline.
It occurred to me that if she was jogging to her moms for dinner that she might have taken her work shirt with her just in case she decided to crash there and go to work in the morning from there.

Some news stories stating the police have received data from her Fitbit. Since the Fitbit shows movement, heart rate, etc, my guess would be the data shows exactly when her movement stopped (or sadly her heart rate stopped), which in turn might be disproving someone’s statements as to when they last spoke to her or saw her. But, it also tells me that if she came into contact with another person, this person might not have known what the Fitbit was, didn’t realize it was on, or didn’t know what all it can do...which leads me to think if something happened it wasn’t by someone very close to her.

Perfect demonstration about why drones won't help in those areas.
Perfect demonstration about why drones won't help in those areas.
So this is an Honest to god city girl question: if someone was lying down amongst the corn, wouldn’t that leave some kind of space that could be detected from above? Say 5+ feet of corn stalks on the ground?

So this is an Honest to god city girl question: if someone was lying down amongst the corn, wouldn’t that leave some kind of space that could be detected from above? Say 5+ feet of corn stalks on the ground?
I only grew corn in my garden one year, and I may have planted it wrong, but someone could have laid between my stalks without breaking any, unless it was a very heavy set person.

JMO
At this point I am back to why nobody knows how she was supposed to get to work that morning.

And why did early reports state her brother contacted her that morning she was missing at 7:30am to ask if she needed a ride to work and now that has changed to ask if she needed a ride home after work.

Does that even make sense to call someone very early in the morning to see if they need a ride home?

What about how she got to work? Wouldnt they know how she had gotten to work then if they were not worried about how she got to work? Calling at 7:30am that morning and that means she likely would have already been at work since place opened at 630am.

Its all so crazy and confusing.
I just hope LE is getting closer to figuring this all out. Prayers for her and her family and friends.

"The next morning, Calderwood said her son, Tibbetts’ brother, texted his sister at 7:30 a.m. to see if she needed a ride home. She never responded."

Disappearance of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts remains a mystery
I'm still 6 pages behind, but got to thinking about this. IMO-maybe the ride home wasn't from work. Maybe Mollie's brother was texting to see if she needed a ride home to her mom's house because it was raining and if she needed/wanted the car she would get wet walking. Where I live it rained before 7:00 a.m. and then not again until after 11:00 a.m. and then later in the p.m. when the tornadoes were in Iowa. This article also mentioned that when she didn't answer the texts her mom thought she was busy with work or something. Maybe they weren't even 100% sure she went to work that day because of the weather and if the field trip was cancelled she wouldn't have to work. BUT-IIRC the brother told mom that Mollie didn't go to work later in the day. It does sound like he went there and was told she never showed up or called in sick. It sounds like her work didn't attempt to get a hold of any emergency contacts. Surely they would have to find someone else to work for her to be with in child/adult ratio especially if they went on the trip. The different news stories sure are adding to the confusion.

Just saw this. Please forgive if it is a repeat:

As Student's Mysterious Disappearance Drags On, It Looks More and More Like Foul Play
The FBI has now joined the search for missing university student Mollie Tibbetts, in eastern Iowa, as state authorities tell PEOPLE it appears increasingly likely the 20-year-old vanished under sinister circumstances.

“Obviously it’s suspicious and obviously it’s very concerning,” says Mitch Mortvedt, a spokesman for the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, who is speaking on behalf of state and federal investigators. “She’s a college student who is very well-connected and involved with social media. For her to stop all types of contact — it’s suspicious.”
. . .
Mortvedt notes that Interstate 80, which stretches from San Francisco in the west to Teaneck, New Jersey, in the east, “is four miles south” of Brooklyn.

“We are looking at convenience store videos in town and surveillance footage captured along the interstate, and we have been interviewing and re-interviewing people,” he says.

As Student's Mysterious Disappearance Drags On, It Looks More and More Like Foul Play

So this is an Honest to god city girl question: if someone was lying down amongst the corn, wouldn’t that leave some kind of space that could be detected from above? Say 5+ feet of corn stalks on the ground?[/Q
No, you would not be able to see a person laying on the ground within a cornfield. There’s too much foliage. I am married to a farmer and our house is surrounded by a cornfield right now it’s way taller than me. I also work at a place that sends guys into fields to work on irrigation systems and last week one of our guys got sprayed by an aerial plane that couldn’t see them in the field.

I am thinking abduction. Either a random abduction or someone in town that knew that the BF and everyone else were out of town for work and they knew she was there alone.

Agreed -- I think it was an abduction by someone unknown to her. These type situations are very difficult to solve. In spite of a lot of searching, no evidence of her has been found -- as far as we know anyway -- and that, IMO also points to either someone not from the area, or someone who hid her body, or has her in captivity, well away from where she was abducted. My thoughts at this time and from early in this case.

Last edited:

I was born and raised here in Iowa and grew up working on family farms, roguing beans, detasseling, etc. Generally the corn rows are spaced fairly close together to increase yields, so there is typically only 2.5-3 feet between rows. When the corn is as tall as it is now (7-9 feet) with leaves and corn growing out from the stalks, it would be extremely difficult to see anything from above. On the ground, rows would basically have to be individually walked down to search. My cousin decided to hide in a corn field when she was about 6 years old during hide and seek. She panicked and kept getting disoriented and running further and further into the field. It took us about 2 hours to finally find her and get her out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname