Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple research into missing persons cases shows the disparity and neglect and over high profile approach missing persons cases have. There is no normal. There is no protocol. There is no standard approach. Throw in Missing White Woman Syndrome on top. There is nothing "standard". Either about the missing themselves or how the disappearance is made public.

There is a huge LE immersion in this case. HUGE.

I have great faith in LE knowing a plethora of stuff we don't.
I also believed in Santa Claus til I was ten so ya know. What do I know?

MOO.

I know the deal here is scroll and roll if something upsets you but I just can't in this instance. Throwing in "white woman syndrome" is not only an untrue statement and misleading how it is thrown around so easily lately (not here in society as a while) not to mention it is an enormous insult to MT's parents and siblings.

Realty is NOT all missing person cases are handled the same because they are NOT all the same. Not victim bashing her but in some missing person's cases the victim themselves through prior actions and behaviors and patterns can lead to LE not getting right on a case or being brought in so late after the game that it is almost impossible to repiece the crime or even determine if one has been committed. Some people go "missing" on their own and make a pattern of it. How many times have you read of a person who was using drugs, perhaps even sometimes being a prostitute that has gone missing and no one ever reports it. Or worse yet, reports it a 6 months a year later. What are authorities to do? It is common behavior for that person to go missing and even travel to a different city and not letting anyone know they have left. Some are not even in contact with their families to have anyone who cares about them report them missing. Police have to consider this when determining if they can use their limited resources available on a case it took so long to report and may be the person is fine and just living some place else, or the 1000 other open cases they need to work on that are current.

Another good example is in our area we have a rather large ethnic community of people from Puerto Rico. In fact I have friends who are PR and it is not uncommon for people to be living here and working and be gone tomorrow. They decided to go visit their families in PR and decided to stay there awhile. No one knows this happens until it does. So people in the community don't think twice if this person or that goes "missing" because they are sure to show back up in a month or two or three, however long they decide to stay away. I've commented on how unusual that is and have had my friends say it's the culture. Hey, I am not PR so how do I know if that is true or not nor who am I to judge. I do know I've heard stories that I can't even imagine how LE would even begin to determine when the heck the person went missing and where they even on the mainland USA when it happened. Police are not clairvoyant and there is no crystal ball to find everyone. It is up to us as individuals to remain connected to someone so you WILL be missed should something happen.

I also wish to highlight that MOST cases that go national are in fact begun with the family that actively begin searching and making it aware in their communities. THAT is how it grows. Think Laci Peterson. Relatively small town where she was well known. The family and her close friends hit the pavement running (like MT's family in this case) and they took action, formed searches, called the media, passed out fliers, created jpg fliers to be printed out by anyone else anywhere to post. In her case there is no doubt what grabbed the national media was it was Christmas time and not a lot else going on. People are more likely to engage and empathize with the missing person and her family at a time when they are gathered with their own families in celebrations across the country. Add the fact that she was pregnant and then it adds the vulnerbility angle to it not to mention a religious aspect to those who celebrate Christmas. That image of Mary giving birth in the manger ya know.

Currently there is someone being held in the city I was raised in on assault charges and in fact they are aware that he is more then likely a serial killer. Why? Three bodies were found in his house. All missing women from the area. Problem here. I know two of them were never reported as missing. I read her families comments and thought OMG why do people do this. She was a person who traveled between the city she lived in and NYC whenever she felt she wanted to go and it was very common for her not to let anyone know. This was USUAL behavior for her so the family did not report it. One older woman (of the 3 victims) was missing almost a year and never reported missing. I couldn't figure out this one at all why she wouldn't be reported. No family has come forward to be interviewed so I assume she had no family. All three apparently were known drug users and often were seen on the streets or the bus station where they met the dealers or made contact with Johns etc. It was horrifying to know these people had been missing and no one reported it. Important to note the victim that frequently went to NYC was PR about 31 or so. The victim that was never reported for her was black in late 30's early 40's and the final victim was white in late 20's. She in face was a young mother and I think it was reported although I never saw any news on it but it could have just been a brief article or snippet on news.

You also have to consider some missing are homeless. They crash a day here a day there, this friend's house, the mission one day, on a park bench if not lucky enough to find a roof for the night. Those are almost impossible to solve and of course they get little attention because there is no real place to say they went missing from or even if they wenyt missing. Again, detached from family or friends for the most part who even if they do love you and want to get word out, they are hesitant to do so because you may be fine or involved in something that is not above board and loved ones don't want to set the cops looking for you and get you in trouble. I've seen cases reported of a woman in her 30's missing and the latest picture available to show what she looks like she was in high school. That is a long time and certainly her appearance changed during that time. How can police or the public help when they don't even have a relatively current photo.

The search starts at home with family. It doesn't matter what color that family is. If they are out there and continue speaking to the media people WILL get involved. But don't feel just because one case gets more attention then others it is simply about the victims color and not because the family worked their butts off to get the story out there. Finally, in this case MT had a family, had a schedule, she didn't take off on her own in the past and not tell anyone. It struck people's hearts because she IS your daughter, little sister, niece that is loved and well cared for every day by her family and those in her community. It does NOT mean her life is more valuable then someone else's it just means those who love her dearly are continuing to do the legwork, network, make contact with those that can get their stories out in the best way possible to the largest audience possible.

Last edited:
(From this morning)

Warning - possible graphic post after first paragraph.
Anaerobic hog waste digestion/retention/ lagoon/pond/BOG next to the hog finishing facility, adjacent to WC's property line. This is the only use of the term bog, in this immediate area, that makes any sense to me! (This is not to imply that WC had ANYTHING to do with MT's dissapearence, he just happens to live there.) There was previous press mention of LE searching a "bog" in the area, still not sure of the accuracy of that report, or what else "bog" may mean in Iowa.

IMO a hog waste pond is a GREAT place to dump a chain weighted, properly prepared body. Even if the body is not completely digested, the hog waste pond bacteria, and overall environment, will likely destroy all usable forensic evidence, and a lot of soft tissue. However, since the hog farm near WC's place, I believe, had a fire and hence has no hogs at this time; I wonder how full those ponds are at this point, and if one could conceal a body to best effect there at this time. (If you Google the site, you can see the waste lagoons in question on satillite view) But, there are many of these ponds throughout Iowa, right next to any large scale hog house. Though a previous post has pointed out that in other states, and some newer operations, they may use large septic holding tanks that are regularly pumped out. In South Carolina, they spray the liquid portion of the waste onto adjacent fields to keep them from overflowing, but not sure what is allowed in Iowa. Note that it appears that WC has 70 acres of soybean on his property (He may not be a snazzy dresser, but his net worth could be impressive). My question is, since these industrial hog houses are "biosecure areas" just how difficult would it be to sneak in/out of the property at night to dump 200+ lbs in the waste pit?[/QUOTE]

BBM Google search (IE: Mollie Tibbetts, "bog") does not result in one MSM article for me. Do you have a link?

I have looked at WC's property as well as the adjacent property on the county assessor's site as well as satellite view on Google maps and still don't see anything that resembles a bog. Perhaps I don't know what I'm looking for. Anyone else see a bog?

Beacon - Poweshiek County, IA

Google Maps

I agree just because LE isn’t saying anything doesn’t mean they don’t know anything. I bet you they know a lot. It may all be circumstantial. Most of the time not showing your full deck of cards is the best play.

I have been on this site for a number of investigations and I think there will always be some who think the public should be deputized and know ALL aspects of the case. This happened in the Morgan Harrington Case, Holly Bobo case, Hanah Grahm case, any case occurring in Aruba , and on and on. Just because the public is not privy to every little detail does not mean there is incompetency (although sometimes there is), but during an active investigation the public does not have a right to know information that might jeopardize a case

Morgan Harrington was murdered and left in a field . Her parents were very proactive in her case, and there were many who thought LE was inept. There were flyers of what the suspect looked like and it was not solved until years later when a young women named Hanah Grahm
went missing in the same area and was found murdered. Unfortunately sometimes there just is not enough info to be given to the public because LE does not have the info to give. That was the case with Morgan Harrington, they did everything possible but not until DNA came back on Hanah Grahm was the perpetrator linked to Morgan Harrington and another rape victim .Jesse Matthews was arrested and 3 cases at one time were closed. It takes time and especially if the perpetrator has no connection to the victims circle of friends and family.
This case will be solved in due time and I believe LE knows best.

Some cases have never been solved after some 20 years. Let us hope this will not be one of them.

Within Mollies circles, I wonder if anyone can recall the immediate timeline around her disappearance if someone had unexplained injuries. Scratches, bruises, something new like an injury, indicating a “fight” of some sort. Was someone absent from work/school/responsibilities? Did someone request a vacation during this time period (this would be IF her disappearance was planned in advance). Did they call in sick? Was there some damage to a vehicle? Was someone cleaning their vehicle inside and out, a little too excessively? Did something basic and mundane, such as cleaning a car seem out of character for someone. Was someone dressed weirdly for the weather (as if they were hiding something, a bruise etc)?
I know this is quite a ways back at this point, but sometimes it’s that tiny tip that can break a case.

Could Mollie be “hiding” in plain sight? As
Someone mentioned-storm shelters, attics, crawl spaces, basements? Campers, cabins?

It was pretty quick in this case. I think involvement at all of FBI when the person missing is an adult and over 19, is interesting.

What does everyone else think?

I’m curious about this too. I know that what LE stated in MSM as the reason for FBI’s early involvement was that Iowa LE did not have much (any?) experience in using Fitbit data for a Missing Person’s case, and that even for the FBI, it’s still newer science to rely on in an investigation. So, if we take them at their word, that could be the only reason. However, does that really explain their continued involvement (assuming there is con’t FBI presence in investigation)? This goes into our “need to know” category. Is there more explanation to explain FBI’s early and continued involvement in this case, aside for Fitbit Data access and analysis?

Personally, I have only followed a small handful of cases on WS, so I can’t comment on whether this is typical or not.

Thank you Sharon for my Sunday afternoon visit to Brooklyn. Excellent job and very helpful in visualizing the area MT was running in .:)

I’d had the question if there was an area where MT could have been snatched without being seen. IMO, there are numerous areas this could have happened.

Also, there are so many woodsy areas she could have been dumped in right there locally. Wonder if that Natural Preserve has been searched?

I feel sorry for the dogs.....so they are locked up in the basement all day when no one is home.....what a crummy life. At least invest in an outdoor kennel so they can breathe fresh air and get some sun and see whats going on, even if its not much.

I don't think we know enough to make this judgment, unless you know them personally? I sometimes put my dog down in the basement when company comes over, for instance. But my basement is fully finished with two bedrooms and a living space with couches. It's heated and air conditioned. And has food and water for the dog. We don't know what theirs looks like. Also, during the summer, when fireworks can be randomly set off at night, my dog can get skittish so he sometimes prefers the basement to hide out.

I don't know whether a fitbit has ever been used as evidence in court before -- prosecutors (assuming it would be prosecutors) would have to get a fitbit expert to explain how they work, how the info on them can't be changed (if that is so), and to testify what the info means.
This would all have to be done without the jury being present, I would assume, like we have seen other evidence/testimony in new systems/devices. They would also have to show/prove that the fitbit was last worn on the night/day she was abducted -- if it was an abduction, etc.The judge would prolly ask questions, etc., etc., and then give a ruling.

Someone here might have already seen fitbit info used as evidence.
Anyone?

I’m not sure about a court of law using Fitbit data but I do remember seeing this last year. I told my husband to be sure to look into my Fitbit account should I ever go missing.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...it-womans-death-investigation-trnd/index.html

It was pretty quick in this case. I think involvement at all of FBI when the person missing is an adult and over 19, is interesting.

I wondered if the timing of the NC arrest at the UI had anything to do with it? He was arrested a week before MT went missing and had some very serious charges against him. I don't know if they had been in contact, but given that he also used his sister with down's syndrome as method of assaulting women, it may have had something to do with it.
Also, as we know, LE is privy to specific info we aren't, like a rash of assaults a year ago, there may have been other issues we aren't aware of that made them hone in fast that this was more than your typical missing persons case.

there not looking far enough. they are looking where she may had walked ran to and or both. and i understand why that is. But they need to go out, at least 30 miles from the house in whatever direction. they think she was abducted while out and about that could be a ploy to through out the investigation. They need to go out 30 miles at least........and look for that dam truck

Last edited:
I'm new to this thread and tried to read quite a bit but not all of it. I'm very sad that there is so little to go on and the fate of poor Mollie remains a mystery. It really is heartbreaking.

My own theory - for what its worth - is that she did make it back to her boyfriends house after the run - to call her Mum, google topics for her homework and send a snapchat. We can't know what time she sent the snapchat as after having been opened in the casual way by her boyfriend the picture and time stamp will have disappeared within a day.

The dogs being in the basement suggest two main options:
- that she hadn't got round to letting them out after returning from her run and had got distracted by talking to her Mum before doing so. After putting down the phone and a little more work and sending a snapchat she was interrupted by someone at the door who then abducted her. Very likely someone she knew or who had been tracking her in some way.
- she was abducted in the morning as she was about to leave in her red shirt.
The snapchat, the missing red T-shirt and home work searches (if verified) point to a morning abduction, the absence of her jogging kit (if that's true) and failure to sort out her car ride for the early start point to an evening abduction. I'm not entirely sure of the clothing information and whether that info is official - one source seemed to say there were two red Ts at her mums house and she was therefore referring to a third possible T shirt. I'm not sure if the status of her jogging clothes (and shoes) was been confirmed officially either.

However, we know she spoke to her mum and on the basis of the homework googling being true and the goodnight snapchat I'd lean to a morning abduction. In some ways this seems odd as the cover of darkness seems more favourable in such an open location - but that further suggests that it might be someone she knew offering her a lift whether directly outside the house or on her way to her Mums house. I would favour the former of those two options and that someone knocked at the door since she had only her phone and fitbit with her. Its unlikely that she would set off for work without her wallet etc.

As others have said, she has a potentially very wide pool of social contacts from school, workplace, her current course, home community and high school. But I would guess its most likely to be someone fairly local.

Sorry - none of this is new. I've kept changing my mind as I've been drafting. Its so perplexing as the clues, such as they are, point in different directions.
That's a 233.

Every time I check the news I just keep hoping I see a headline saying she's been found. I check so often you would think that I actually know her..but I'm sure I'm not the only one.:(
I know exactly how you feel.
The Delphi girls crawled right into my heart and I feel as though A & L and Miss Mollie are my own. I pray every night for direction in solving their case. What can I do, Lord?

snipped for space
BBM Google search (IE: Mollie Tibbetts, "bog") does not result in one MSM article for me. Do you have a link?

I have looked at WC's property as well as the adjacent property on the county assessor's site as well as satellite view on Google maps and still don't see anything that resembles a bog. Perhaps I don't know what I'm looking for. Anyone else see a bog?

Beacon - Poweshiek County, IA

Google Maps

I do not see a bog either, and I think anyone found dumping hog waste in a retention pond would not be getting a visit from the FBI, but they would from the DNR. There is only the creek I see, and there might be boggy areas near it, but nothing I would call "a bog". Clipped for space, but to clarify I am responding to your response. I know you don't see a bog.

ALERT, ALERT, ALERT...
Laura Calderwood (Mum) saw the red t-shirt found in field and confirms it is NOT Mollie's.

Tracking the Mollie Tibbetts Story

Late edit: In anticipation PC with slew of newbies, any red t-shirt posts from today forward will receive "that's a 233" (i.e., this post number)!
Honestly I wouldn't believe a word they say; just a few minutes into the interview, they say both brothers left on the morning of the 18'th, and that BJ was gone for ONE night. They also acknowledge that NO ONE had confirmed that a red shirt was found, so how could her mom say it wasn't hers? They got some things right but I wouldn't consider anything they said new or relevant.

I’m curious about this too. I know that what LE stated in MSM as the reason for FBI’s early involvement was that Iowa LE did not have much (any?) experience in using Fitbit data for a Missing Person’s case, and that even for the FBI, it’s still newer science to rely on in an investigation. So, if we take them at their word, that could be the only reason. However, does that really explain their continued involvement (assuming there is con’t FBI presence in investigation)? This goes into our “need to know” category. Is there more explanation to explain FBI’s early and continued involvement in this case, aside for Fitbit Data access and analysis?

Personally, I have only followed a small handful of cases on WS, so I can’t comment on whether this is typical or not.

>>snip

Mitch Mortvedt, Assistant Director of Field Operations for the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations said DCI joined the investigation Friday and the FBI became involved Monday. Both agencies, he said, are able to offer extensive resources to aid in the search for Tibbetts.

“The FBI brings a lot of investigational power with forensic analysis and evidence assistance,” he said. “Additionally, the FBI has a highly-trained search and rescue team … and that is one of the resources they brought in.”

Though volunteer searchers were asked to stand down over the weekend, Mortvedt said investigators are continuing to search and re-search areas in and around Brooklyn.

Moreover, Mortvedt said investigators are “fielding any leads that come in from the public, as well as reviewing leads and intelligence already gathered during the course of the investigation.”

State and federal investigators join in search for Mollie Tibbetts

I think that DCI is, likely, a very professional group of state level LE officers. They took one look at the mass and depth of SM (and other) digital data that needed to be collected and analyzed and, as in the movie Jaws, decided "we need a bigger net". Also, the FBI has more experience in asking Apple, et al, for info, and a Federal request might carry a little more weight. Or, at least, the FBI has all the necessary IT players on speed-dial!

I know exactly how you feel.
The Delphi girls crawled right into my heart and I feel as though A & L and Miss Mollie are my own. I pray every night for direction in solving their case. What can I do, Lord?
Let's hope this case doesn't drag on like Abby and Libby. You would not believe how even far away in my town kids are warned using them as an example to this day.

A minor detail that could be relevant: I wonder if LE inquired who MT's emergency contact person is at UnityPoint Health? One would expect it to be MT's mother. If so, how would one of her coworker know her boyfriend's number? Unless DJ's the contact on the Emergency Contact Form (which the director, CN, likely had at the county fair), it wouldn't make sense. CN's initial video statement said, "We reached out to one of her family members," but he later stated a staff member called DJ. So it doesn't appear the call was made in an official capacity. DJ didn't appear personally familiar with the coworker, per his statements in referencing the call. Considering MT may have arranged a ride with a coworker, I would think this may be relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member