Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't take credit! Thank you for your contributions. :)

WHAT WE KNOW
  • Mollie's jogging clothing and devices are missing
  • she has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  • the dogs were in the basement
  • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
  • she was seen running East on Pershing towards the Funeral Home
  • she was seen at the Funeral Home
  • she typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • she went for a run at 7:30
  • she usually runs for 45 minutes
  • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  • a digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  • video was collected from various businesses
  • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  • she may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  • Mollie was a creature of habit
  • Dalton sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  • This was the second night that Mollie was alone in the house
  • There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  • Her driver's license and debit card were at the house
  • Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  • No signs of a struggle or forced entry
Thank you for the last one @Stippling.
This is awesome. Thanks for everyone’s efforts.

What about adding “passport” to note re DL and ID, as well as specific device and clothing info?

I absolutely respectfully disagree with this post a thousand percent. LE is doing everything they can, I have no doubt. Every case is not immediately solvable due to various factors. Unfortunately there are an infinite number of cold cases which, despite multiple law enforcement agencies and massive efforts, are unsolved.
To use the word “shame” and “embarrassment” for LE is unwarranted imo. One has noooo idea how much heart, work and effort some of these investigators are putting into Mollie’s case. These investigators are under a lot of pressure, and very public pressure, to do their best and believe me they want Mollie’s case solved as much as anyone, if not more. To dog LE is highly disrespectful. They are not dummies. They have all kinds of experience (FBI) and resources at their disposal so if they’re having trouble or things are taking time there must be a reason. Sorry I’m being harsh, I see you are a new member and I do welcome you, and you are entitled to your opinion. Like any LE will tell you, real life is not a one hour episode of CSI. As one who has seen countless investigations, I have no doubt that LE is working this to the best of their abilities. While 3 weeks is certainly an eternity for Mollie and her loved ones, it is actually not that long compared to many other cases we have seen here. This is not to say that LE doesn’t make mistakes, but I do believe they are doing their best. We do not know what is going on behind the scenes, nor do we necessarily need to know.

Everything is JMO.
Well said!

Has there been any discussion of Maria Ohl's comments regarding a previous case in that area?

I think she meant (or maybe it’s more my own curiosity) what’s the deal with the trash can fires? What’s your theory on that? Is hat something normal around those parts because it’s not typical where I’m from!
a backyard fire in a burn barrel, or even just a pile of stuff in the yard, is very normal in rural Iowa. i see them regularly (at least weekly) while driving home from work. when i lived a couple towns over from Brooklyn, my husband used the burn barrel probably once a month except during winter.

If this was the rare stranger abduction...only DNA, if they have any, and a future hit is likely to solve it. Assuming there is no video showing a license plate. But I can’t see an abduction happening near enough a house or business that had a camera in such a sparse area...also can’t imagine they have DNA unless by chance they found any of her items and got lucky.

LE never discusses polygraphs so that is unlikely to be a factor in any press conference postponement. Jmo

She probaly took the same path on her first day there. If we knew that for sure, i was say she was seen by someone on that first walk/run. This was a quick abduction, in two days of her being there. Probably pre planed now on the second day of her being there. And followed her back to the house on that first day. Something about her attracting him. a look piece of clothing she was wearing, hair style etc. Something he liked that attracted him too her. A stranger abduction for sure. He had probably 24 hours from her first day there, to plan what too do. And may had been waiting on her to return from her walk run on the second day. Perhaps she had no time to change into anything, Hench stuff she rain walked with is missing. And the dogs already in the basement when she left and he arrived. The security cameras they say they have from the business next door maybe they do. But i dont think that business had any working security cameras facing the house, or lot of business across the street whatever that would have shown a vehicle around the house. Person is local, and would have known about the business and any security outside simple by looking for them the day before she vanished. or when he came by that night she had not change from her walk / run and was still wearing things. Or taken for souvenirs to re live the event. Yes, I am one of those that believe she made it back to the house before disappearing, and until the LEOs say differently. That is what i am going with based on nothing more than what i read and have watched and listen. ALL MOO AND SPECULATION, NOTHING POSTED AS BEING FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE KNOWN TO BE.

No, not her 1st or 2nd night there. She was living there half-time-ish for the summer. Undoubtedly had done these runs many times. Not even necessarily her first time alone in the house overnight as there could have been other times the housemates were away earlier in the summer.

At this point I think this seems the most logical. Or that someone bumped her with their car and gained control like n the Mickey Shunick case.

As of right now, and after thinking about the possibilities and seeing the videos, I am about 85% convinced of the first scenario. The stranger scenario seems far less likely for me at this point. Of course, that can all change if and when the LE reveals more info.

respectfully snipped for pointed reply
I respect your opinion, and I suppose it is all a matter of perspective, but I live in a pretty large metro area, and I think Brooklyn is a beautiful little town, and I see nothing in the residential area, once you get past that gravel/dirt road that leads to the house and co-op, that would give me any reason to feel unsafe while taking an evening jog or walk.
As someone who moved from a city to a small community almost identical to this, I can say that one the things I am still freaked out by is how many people are out walking/jogging/bicycling alone in the country. I could never ever do it, even on the bike trails or frontage roads, alone. Maybe it's my city paranoia that won't let me. But the pedestrians who do it around here are not only oblivious to the traffic around them, if they do notice you they look very annoyed that anyone is even driving on the highway. IDK, I just see too much unprotected highway from one part of Brooklynn to another, and no way would I jog it, walk it, or probably even bicycle it and that's for reasons of possibly being hit, possibilities of being kidnapped or killed or assaulted. JMHO.

After watching the videos, I grew up in a small town about double that size and it would not have been out of the realm of possibility to be snatched unnoticed in broad daylight. A side street, an ally where no one is outside....very easy unfortunately. The town I spent summers in was 1/2 that size and still same thing. I was approached by people at times....whether innocent or nefarious I will never know but I doubt anyone took notice as they were tending to their lawns, coming home with groceries, etc. unless of course I had ended up becoming missing them MAYBE someone would have recalled something.

idk. Where I'm from announcement of security cameras being down would be advertisement for a thief.
Remember, we are talking about a very small town, where people have said repeatedly that “things like this don’t happen here.” Without anyone being able to find it on the thread, I’m not sure the cameras were down at all. Could’ve just been a rumor.

If this was the rare stranger abduction...only DNA, if they have any, and a future hit is likely to solve it. Assuming there is no video showing a license plate. But I can’t see an abduction happening near enough a house or business that had a camera in such a sparse area...also can’t imagine they have DNA unless by chance they found any of her items and got lucky.

LE never discusses polygraphs so that is unlikely to be a factor in any press conference postponement. Jmo

No but now that it's known that a polygraph has been conducted the dynamics and focus of the investigation changes. Also the questions that reporters would ask would all focus in on the polygraph - as you say LE won't say anything about polygraphs - defeats the object of holding a presser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa