Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
bbm

You're right about the bloodbath part, but cleaning a vehicle out pre/post an abduction run would make sense in an attempt to limit transfer evidence, both ways. Increasing one's loiter time, on the front end, in Brooklyn is risky only if not a local, but as one post above pointed out, it might give a hunter the chance to center himself and to scope out the town before going on the prowl. Just a thought, in MOO!

A loiterer wouldn't necessarily be a stand-out if they were in the TA truck stop or gas station.

Just going to throw this out there. Not sure if someone has mentioned it or not. I know a while back in one of the threads someone mentioned that Wednesday is a church night.

You are so spot-on Str8nightowl. It has concerned a couple of us that Wednesday is a church night.

For starters, it is a perfect "cover". Who would suspect a pious, religious person?

Secondly, for a man who doesn't like church, but drops off someone else for the services on a Wednesday night, .....it leaves him with a lot of time on his hands 5:30 - 9:30.

The perp (with a lot of time on his hands) could "blend in" and
1) get the "lay of the land".
2) chat up the locals
3) do some business
4) observe traffic patterns
5) drive around town a couple of times, see which roads are desolate.

Maybe he has been planning this crime, .....a couple of Wednesdays prior.

I find this interesting if the Radar information is accurate:
  • Mollie's brothers and boyfriend are wearing the high school mascot bears shirts in interviews. Why? Are they calling someone out?
  • Abductor possibly at the vigil and searches
  • A neighbor is retired from working at the local high school
  • Same neighbor made the statements to AP that LE told him that according to Mollie's Fitbit, she passed his house and made it home.
  • LE wouldn't confirm this was true.
These are all the dots I was trying to connect before but there’s been so much to sift through. Yes to all of this!

Since my last post I’ve learned that there are quite a few small town folks like myself so I’m wondering everyone’s take on something... Ever since sharonnneedles posted his videos of the drive through I’ve been wondering about signage or lack thereof. It was obvious that there were some yard signs and in the business district a few large banners of the missing posters but knowing it’s a small, tighknit town led me to believe that the physical appearance of the town would’ve been much different at this point. I expected large sized banners COVERING the town with fliers and yard signs as deep as the eye could see and a very large community presence in terms of searches etc. I just didn’t see that (even though there is undeniably a lot of support from the town)so I’ve been wondering if that is indicative of a culture where some are of the mindset of “minding your own business” or just simply due to the town being more concerned with covering the surrounding areas? I know that this isn’t uncovering leads or anything of the sort, it’s just something that has been gnawing at me since the videos were posted. Just wondering your take on it or if I’m the only one who felt that way.

Welcome to WS Alastoss.

Thanks for sharing your take on the signage etc. I'm sure signage varies from town to town, based on taste, culture, locale and what's foremost on display.

Like a "Cracker Barrel" isn't an "Olive Garden," if you will.

I trust SharonNeedle's take since it's real see-for-yourself stuff, consistent with reports and others' impressions from the area, without layers of assumptions imbued with my own natural biases.

Last edited:
<modsnipped>
In that case I think the insomnia would have to be a new thing, out of the norm for the person and in a weird kind of way as in someone who in no way, shape or form would have concerns that would keep them up at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly enough no one else in Delphi has met the same fate since that I am aware of. It is likely in both cases they assume it is not someone local. Perhaps just a crime of opportunity and they move on.
@otto -- do you agree that this is a crime of opportunity? In Thread No. 25 you mentioned another case, perhaps Delphi, in which the perp left "clues" to misguide LE. Aren't we perhaps seeing the same thing here? Did the perp do enough research that he led LE straight to a man with a criminal record for the same thing, thereby wasting precious time? Would that kind of preparation also indicate he stalks his victims, knows exactly who the next will be? Is this possible?

<modsnipped quote>
I respectfully disagree. LE is still actively investigating this case and has *just* launched a website to gather more tips. That does not meet my definition of a cold case.
What we might agree on is the fact that the perp in this case is not the usual boyfriend/husband/crazy ex/known stalker. And that makes solving the case more challenging.

<modsnipped quoted post>

It is all basic profiling imo...single/divorced guy, lives alone, probably local or local-ish, probably went to vigil, probably interested in investigation, not many friends, usually manual or semi-skilled work if any...blah blah blah

Someone mentioned construction work and it got me thinking. My husband is a Journeyman Iron worker and when the economy tanked right after we had our first child he had to boom out of state for a year to none other than Iowa, we're in MO and the job was in Burlington so it was only about 2.5 hrs from home but far enough away that he stayed there during the week. He stayed in a hotel for a few weeks but that was cost prohibitive so him and his brother, whom is also an iron worker and was with him found a place, they were apartments that allowed them a month to month lease and they were dirt cheap. So I'm going to try and do some actual sleuthing tonight to see if there are places like this in Brooklyn or close by, this maybe someone that knows the area because they are living there for work but not really involved in the community, or known throughout the town.

I think it's a combination of things.
1. Area(s) where an eyewitness claims to have seen Mollie jogging
2. Areas where surveillance cameras captured Mollie jogging, unknown vehicles, or other suspicious activity
3. Wifi hotspots used by Mollie's cell phone
4. ?
I agree. Could be areas where the fitbit went bonkers too.

What if the car wash wasn't used to get rid of DNA but to actually clean a vehicle... As in it got muddy or dirty from a gravel road or puddle which would have been an indicator of where it had been. Or maybe it was a spot to sit and watch and wait until an opportunity presented itself.

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking, since some of the red spots of interest are out on dirt roads. If the perp lives with someone else or had to be at work where the car would be seen, they might not have wanted questions about where their car had been. They could also have tracked dust and dirt into the car from wherever they took Mollie.

I lived near a town with a population of about 40 people, but the physical address was from the nearby city of 12,000. In the city of 12,000 I think there would be more signage than what I saw in the videos. Probably depends on the average age of the people in the town. I think the younger families would be more concerned as those older ones who are actively involved in the community.

In towns the size of Brooklyn I can't imagine most residents feeling a need to load their yards with missing person signs since (most likely) everyone knows MT is missing and that LE is on the job.

From my understanding that occurred in Indiana. Is there any rationale to even a baseless connection between these cases, besides Snapchat? Again as someone who uses Snapchat very often, I think any connections between these two cases based on Snapchat alone is just coincidental and due to a misunderstanding of how the social media app works.
There are more than likely serial killers in every state unbeknownst to the public. All you have to do is visit the Charley project, missing persons US map as well as Jane Doe remains maps. There is way too many missing persons/remains in every state along the interstate systems and especially where two interstates junction together. It is quite scary actually.

In that case I think the insomnia would have to be a new thing, out of the norm for the person and in a weird kind of way as in someone who in no way, shape or form would have concerns that would keep them up at night.
<modsnipped>They would be looking for single men be there would be fewer people to observe their "different" behavior

Is there a compiled list of known LE search areas? I know of the hog farm search, but I can't find information on the locations for other searches. If someone knows of any search locations I would greatly appreciate your information. I'm putting something together that I'll post this evening. Having search locations would be a big help.

<modsnipped quoted post>
<modsnipped reply>gave away anything that wasn’t already known to the person responsible. He knows the noose is tightening. He’s got to be as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

I’m trying to come up with a comparison analysis to MT’s case and that of other similar ones where the victim was outdoors and abducted by a stranger. The only ones I can think of are Sierah Joughrin, Libby & Abby, and Evansville, IA girls. Does anyone know where I can find any others on this here? I want to compare mileage from where the victim’s remains where found and where they were abducted, if it was a serial abducter, motive, evidence used to find and convict the perpetrator, type of town crime occurred, etc. I figure this may be helpful to the MT case.

Rachel Cooke's case is VERY similar (she was even jogging). Then there is Britanee Drexel. Others include Sherri Papini, Anne Sluti, Elizabeth Shoaf, Kristi Cornwell...
In my area, a 14 year old disappeared while on a walking trail in town. Her remains were found 3 months later, not far from where she had disappeared. She'd been beheaded. 30 years later, and there has been no arrests. The case got zero national coverage.

To be fair, we don't know that the Delphi or Evansville crimes were committed by strangers. It could have been someone who knew them or their families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen