Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some things that seem underdiscussed.

There is one video of her drama coach saying she liked performing, theater, speech, etc. That combined with the fact that she was a psychology major and very attractive probably led to some problems at some point. Are there many people who knew her as an actress locally?

It seems significant that the other major abduction case in that area was a tv broadcaster. It may be a coincidence but statistically worth considering.

It seems significant that she had just gotten a passport and was days from traveling somewhere, and also close to getting married. Maybe somebody was infatuated with her, knew those facts and was driven to a sort of caveman primitive one sided marriage. Considering those girls in Philadelphia or somewhere who had been held captive for a decade or so, and that girl who was kept as a prisoner by that real estate agent, both of which cases were only uncovered by chance, there are probably dozens or hundreds of people in the United States being held like that, never mind the hundreds of thousands in other countries under comparable circumstances.

So the question would be how to find somebody in that situation. Similar to the issue somebody mentioned of weighing trucks and noticing the difference at weigh stations, maybe a debit or credit card database would show purchases that would not seem to match the purchasers needs. That would be a colossal programming feat to crunch electronic payment databases and there would be a huge number of false leads but if it were combined with other databases it might catch something. I am ultra libertarian and do not support government collecting data, but if this were done properly it would not be intrusive.

There is one video of her drama coach saying she liked performing, theater, speech, etc. That combined with the fact that she was a psychology major and very attractive probably led to some problems at some point. Are there many people who knew her as an actress locally?

It seems significant that the other major abduction case in that area was a tv broadcaster. It may be a coincidence but statistically worth considering.

It seems significant that she had just gotten a passport and was days from traveling somewhere, and also close to getting married. Maybe somebody was infatuated with her, knew those facts and was driven to a sort of caveman primitive one sided marriage. Considering those girls in Philadelphia or somewhere who had been held captive for a decade or so, and that girl who was kept as a prisoner by that real estate agent, both of which cases were only uncovered by chance, there are probably dozens or hundreds of people in the United States being held like that, never mind the hundreds of thousands in other countries under comparable circumstances.

So the question would be how to find somebody in that situation. Similar to the issue somebody mentioned of weighing trucks and noticing the difference at weigh stations, maybe a debit or credit card database would show purchases that would not seem to match the purchasers needs. That would be a colossal programming feat to crunch electronic payment databases and there would be a huge number of false leads but if it were combined with other databases it might catch something. I am ultra libertarian and do not support government collecting data, but if this were done properly it would not be intrusive.

Don't forget about Liz and Lyric in Waterloo. That's closer to Brooklyn than Heidi in Mason City.

THIS! I took a self defense class about 10 years ago and probably need a refresher. But very embarrassed to admit I bought a canister of pepper spray and left it sealed in the package for 10 years until two days ago. Don’t ask me why, denial maybe, or maybe the fear of it accidentally going off lol. I did a test spray and then read up on pepper spray and it apparently goes bad in the 2-4 yr range after manufacturer. I immediately ordered more. Ladies, check your pepper spray and order more if it’s old. Anyways, this all happened two days ago, thanks to Mollie and reading about other cases on WS. You never know.

No doubt all countries have some asinine laws and one of ours is that pepper spray is classed as a prohibited weapon and for that you need a permit which won’t be issued if you want it for personal security purposes.

Wait for it … the maximum penalty for possession or use is 14 years imprisonment. However, having pepper spray in your possession as a first offence is unlikely to attract a gaol sentence.

But it gets better ... Let’s say you were attacked by someone and you used it in self-defence. You can still be charged for possession and use and could even be charged for assault. You know how it goes – the perp becomes the victim. The prosecution has to negate this by proving that your actions were not a reasonable response!!!

Basically the only viable options if you live here are to scream, run away, oh yes, or ring the police - just what you'd have the time to do when someone comes at you with a knife or anything else. And the government wonders why violence against women is on the rise.

is there any wolfs, or any other big predators in the area i know its a wild idea but possibly running from a wolf in the wild and getting caught could happen

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Very interesting what you suggest. Maybe some of our tech sleuthers will pitch in.

I would think somebody who hung out at a series of places and stops, in the same area, in blocks of time around that area, could be interesting, if their profession doesn't rule it out.

Gosh, now I see why contract delivery drivers is a profession that fits the beast.

Don't forget about Liz and Lyric in Waterloo. That's closer to Brooklyn than Heidi in Mason City.
“Evansdale” technically, which is about 10 minutes from Waterloo?

ETA: per Wiki:
Evansdale is a city in Black Hawk County, Iowa, United States. The population was 4,751 in the 2010 census, an increase from 4,526 in the 2000 census.[5][6] It is part of the Waterloo–Cedar Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area...”

Last edited:
Sorry but this assumes quite a bit of knowledge that to date LE has shown no evidence that it has in its possession. How reliable is an interview 3 weeks after the fact when so far in this case even the people that thought they saw MT running are giving accounts that don't seem to add up?

I agree with the first poster here. I think there is a WHOLE LOT of information about the timeline and Mollie's activities that night that the police is keeping from the public - which is why things don't seem to add up.

Think about it. The first witness saw her jogging on W. Pershing around 7:30. The second witness saw her jogging on W 2nd at 8:30pm. I know, the news reports say 8pm, but in the video, the guy himself very emphatically says 8:30pm. He said she ran "up the hill," and if you look at the way he's motioning from his chair, he's pointing towards the car wash, which would be her direction back to the house. That timeline means she had been out running for a full hour already, so it is totally feasible that she was headed home - especially since everything says she usually ran for 45 minutes or so.

Mollie would have run right past the car wash. She would have run past, or at least near, Casey's.

I think it's important to go back to the stuff that was said at the very beginning of all of this. I think there are details there that are more important than we think.

No doubt all countries have some asinine laws and one of ours is that pepper spray is classed as a prohibited weapon and for that you need a permit which won’t be issued if you want it for personal security purposes.

Wait for it … the maximum penalty for possession or use is 14 years imprisonment. However, having pepper spray in your possession as a first offence is unlikely to attract a gaol sentence.

But it gets better ... Let’s say you were attacked by someone and you used it in self-defence. You can still be charged for possession and use and could even be charged for assault. You know how it goes – the perp becomes the victim. The prosecution has to negate this by proving that your actions were not a reasonable response!!!

Basically the only viable options if you live here are to scream, run away, oh yes, or ring the police - just what you'd have the time to do when someone comes at you with a knife or anything else. And the government wonders why violence against women is on the rise.
Can you make your own pepper spray?

I think it's important to go back to the stuff that was said at the very beginning of all of this. I think there are details there that are more important than we think.

It's MOO that LE is considering many elements related to her intended mode of transportation to work on the 19th, and that any clues they have gathered in this area are some of the information they are witholding from the public for investigative purposes.
Getting to know Mollie... I can't help but think she would make arrangements the night before. So I can't help but think that there are people she phoned or texted to line this up, and in doing so she easily could have mentioned why she needed a ride and her location. Maybe someone said they would get back to her, and then went on to mention to someone else, that Mollie needed a ride. Maybe she even she replied along the lines of gratitude and apologies in advance, in case she didn't answer because she'd be on a 45 minute run. And if there were no calls or texts to coworkers or the likes to catch a ride, I would have to assume she planned to get in touch with her family about a ride. And if for some reason i have to rule out that she intended to call or text Jake about the car, then i have to last assume it was her intention to go there that night or at least jog over in the morning.

I think this is important.

One thing I can say is common in some of these cases they cant figure out,
is the public always thinks police is hiding major data
I think LE sorts thru all the stuff and never says anything unless is concrete,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Very interesting what you suggest. Maybe some of our tech sleuthers will pitch in.

I would think somebody who hung out at a series of places and stops, in the same area, in blocks of time around that area, could be interesting, if their profession doesn't rule it out.

Gosh, now I see why contract delivery drivers is a profession that fits the beast.

There are lots of problems and you'll get a lot of false leads. Someone buys duct tape. Do they "need" it? What if they just bought a roll a month or two ago, and say they are buying it because they lost the previous one? I have at least three spools of packing tape (the kind you use to seal packages) because I use it so rarely that I forget where it is by the time I need it again. Bleach? Common household cleaner. Is this just collected and processed without a warrant? I really don't like the idea of a government knowing everything I buy (including how much and what type of food.) None of it is replacement for good detective work.

I agree!!! I think the OP might be getting this place confused with Facebook. Big Difference!!!!! No mod would stand for any of that stuff! Any such post would go poof! Not to mention I wouldn’t stick around if people were talking about aliens,etc lol

I think Mama Tricia is about to put us to bed again for the night. :) Goodnight! :). :eek:fftobed:

(O/T speaking of “off to bed”, one time wins ago I worked in this hotel. My colleague, every time someone would complain about their room, she would literally tell them “just go to bed” hahahahaha!!!!....Somehow she managed to keep her job lol...)
Yes, in about 5 minutes :)

It's MOO that LE is considering many elements related to her intended mode of transportation to work on the 19th, and that any clues they have gathered in this area are some of the information they are witholding from the public for investigative purposes.
Getting to know Mollie... I can't help but think she would make arrangements the night before. So I can't help but think that there are people she phoned or texted to line this up, and in doing so she easily could have mentioned why she needed a ride and her location. Maybe someone said they would get back to her, and then went on to mention to someone else, that Mollie needed a ride. Maybe she even she replied along the lines of gratitude and apologies in advance, in case she didn't answer because she'd be on a 45 minute run. And if there were no calls or texts to coworkers or the likes to catch a ride, I would have to assume she planned to get in touch with her family about a ride. And if for some reason i have to rule out that she intended to call or text Jake about the car, then i have to last assume it was her intention to go there that night or at least jog over in the morning.

I think this is important.
I think she DID make arrangements the night before, hence her brother texting asking if she "still" needed a ride to work. Apparently when he woke up and saw the car was not there and he hadnt heard from her, he assumed she was running late and would drive the car there. When she didn't answer he probably assumed she was getting a ride from a coworker or friend. So to me the mystery is, IF that were the case then why didn't THAT person say something. Ultimately I believe she was planning on her brother driving her to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500