Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
I strongly feel that they would correct those witnesses - both of whom claim the police told them they had digital evidence putting her at home that evening - as a matter of record.

JMO.
I think they would correct the issue if that information was released directly by LE. Because the witnesses simply repeated what a member of LE supposedly told them, I don’t see this as an issue in terms of ultimate prosecution. They’ve kept the timeline under wraps, and correcting this would reveal part of the timeline, something they are apparently loath to do. We just disagree here.

Yes. Pull the battery and the SIM card, and your phone is an inert piece of hardware. It ain't talkin' with nothing!

Without the phone to sync with, no more Fitbit data or run tracking can be uploaded to the Cloud, as Fitbit uses Bluetooth to connect to the phone at short ranges (20 feet or less) - meaning that a Fitbit can't ping off of a cell tower or communicate with a GPS satellite (via an incoming signal the phone uses to figure out where it is - e.g geolocate) on its own. Also, if you lock a phone in a cookie tin can or an ammo can - any heavy metal box or maybe even a Mylar potato chip bag (e.g. a Faraday cage) that should also block any incoming/outgoing signals to/from a cellphone. If in doubt, then go to work with a hammer on the phone (and his little friend Fitbit too) after pulling the battery and SIM card from the phone, wrap the pieces in a roll of aluminum foil folds, bake at 325 degrees for several hours, and hide the phone remains at the bottom of a coal mine! Let NSA find that!

I read recently that Apple is developing hardware driven Technology that will allow not yet released Iphones to call 911 (and, presumably, maybe be able to geolocate via GPS satellite info, and MAYBE allow Apple to ping a "dead" phone's location) if the phone has no battery (for you technerds out there, the article did not say how - maybe a capacitor?). But this Tech is still down the road.

I hope this helps.

MOO
Very informative post on this subject matter. Thanks for sharing.

As for whether she made it home, remember that we don't have proof of that. As for not making it home? We don't have proof of that either. The only thing we know for certain is that at 7:30 she replied to a text from her mother and at 7:30 am she didn't reply to a text from her brother. We don't know that LE told DC Mollie made it home, he says they told him that but it's hasn't been confirmed. We really don't know why LE is looking at the 5 sites listed on the map, we can assume Mollie ran by them or it could just be that they are areas with cctv and remote areas. Literally the only thing we can be sure of is that some time between 7:30pm and 7:30am Mollie disappeared.

Authorities to hold news conference in Jake Wilson case

Iowa is pretty in-edge right now about this other missing person case, a 15 year old autistic boy that also went missing pretty much without a trace. Press conference at 4pm being announced as a “significant development”. This case has been mentioned along with Mollie’s case, not that there’s any obvious connection. Basically we all want to know how one of our own can just vanish from our communities like this. 20 minutes until we get some answers, I’ll be tuned in.

The news of Mollie's dad returning to CA this weekend speaks volumes to me.

Unfortunately, he probably doesn't have a choice. He has a job there, and he can only take so much time off. I can't imagine being in his shoes, being expected to return to his "normal" life, knowing his daughter is still missing.

I've stopped speculating, for the most part, now - I'm just reading theories and watching the case unfold. It could turn into one of those that takes years to unfold, sadly, at this point. :-( I hope we get answers someday, preferably sooner rather than later.

Circling back to family and friends would be ill advised at this point, useless, hurtful and harmful, I believe.

The five spots highlighted in and around Brooklyn during the the 5 to 10 pm time frame would indicate what to you?

I have not seen anyone speculate that the 'perp' may have used the computer to throw off the timeline. That seems like the big fulcrum point in establishing MT's location and potential time and point of abduction. I would imagine the computer was dusted for prints? If the perp returned to the house after the 'crime' and clicked a few buttons it would wreak havoc on nailing down the sequence of events.

I wonder if she logs into her U of Iowa network (for lack of a better term), how long it takes for it to automatically logout. Could it be something as simple as MT logged into to do homework, did not log out of the online U if I system, and after 30 min or 1 or 2 hours it automatically logged out? Perhaps someone saw that and initially thought the ‘logging out’ was Mollie, but quickly realized after looking into it/talking to U of I that it was automatic? Maybe that is why we heard for a day or so that she was doing homework after the jog and then it seemed it wasn’t the case?

Not true. "Communications with" does not necessarily include her one-way communications with a class server, yet you seem rather definitive that it does. I disagree with your conclusion.

And again, there are countless texting and other communication apps that leave no evidence of contact, so just because they say there is no evidence of communications does not mean that no communications exist.

JMO.

There was quite a bit of discussion about how an LMS works shortly after Mollie disappeared. In fact, communication with a LMS does constitute two way communication simply because it requires a secure login first to the university server and then another secure login to the LMS. Once she is logged in, the university server communicates with her laptop and records activity, time stamps, and online pages that she accessed.

The only way that anyone could have accessed Mollie's course is if she logged in to both servers. That activity would be time stamped, and the communication between Mollie and her online course would be well documented.

We know that there was no credible communication with Mollie after she was jogging. On that basis, we know that she did not login to her online course and communicate with the online course content at the house-sit after she went jogging. Therefore, there is no evidence that she returned to the house-sit after jogging.

Regarding other forms of communication that do not leave a trace, such as ShapChat, we do know that a SnapChat was sent by Mollie at some point prior to her abduction.

Authorities to hold news conference in Jake Wilson case

Iowa is pretty in-edge right now about this other missing person case, a 15 year old autistic boy that also went missing pretty much without a trace. Press conference at 4pm being announced as a “significant development”. This case has been mentioned along with Mollie’s case, not that there’s any obvious connection. Basically we all want to know how one of our own can just vanish from our communities like this. 20 minutes until we get some answers, I’ll be tuned in.
Where is this being announced as a "significant development"?

Circling back to family and friends would be ill advised at this point, useless, hurtful and harmful, I believe.

The five spots highlighted in and around Brooklyn during the the 5 to 10 pm time frame would indicate what to you?

I am not sure why these areas are highlighted.
Is it because of phone pings?
Fitbit info?

Neither of which proves SHE was there, just her electronics.

Or is there CCTV?
A vehicle that was seen in the area?

LE are asking anyone in that area to come forward.
Are they eliminating people?

What does it indicate to you?

I've stopped speculating, for the most part, now - I'm just reading theories and watching the case unfold. It could turn into one of those that takes years to unfold, sadly, at this point. :-( I hope we get answers someday, preferably sooner rather than later.

Same here. I've developed a list of potential scenarios and ranked them from most likely to least likely (IMO, of course), now I've given up really thinking about it and am just waiting to see how close I was to right. I mostly just hang out here in the hope that I can share a little perspective on life in small town rural Iowa for those who are unfamiliar with it.

Where is this being announced as a "significant development"?

Authorities to provide 'significant update' in Jake Wilson disappearance case

Same here. I've developed a list of potential scenarios and ranked them from most likely to least likely (IMO, of course), now I've given up really thinking about it and am just waiting to see how close I was to right. I mostly just hang out here in the hop that I can share a little perspective on life in small town rural Iowa for those who are unfamiliar with it.

Yup, same here. :) I'm an hour from Brooklyn, and while I live in the city, I'm familiar enough with rural areas to hope I can provide some insight.

Also if she did return home and do homework they likely would have tightened that timeline knowing where she was later in the evening!
True.
Also if she did return home and do homework they likely would have tightened that timeline knowing where she was later in the evening!
True. But they must have enough evidence to believe he was in the area at that time. It could be that she started homework around 9:00 and she was taken between 9:00 - 10:00 pm.

There is a lot of discussion of electronic devices, but the obvious question, when and where was the last electronic ping off a tower I don't see mentioned. Most people that age keep their devices on 24 7 so it was probably turned off by another person against her wishes. The first data police would have collected was the last ping so they would know when and where her attacker, if that was the case, became aware of her electronics, assuming there is cellphone coverage throughout the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels