Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is aimed at no one in particular, and honestly curious, but if you really are afraid that whoever is responsible for MT's disappearance is reading every word here, (I have seen nothing that makes me feel that is the case) I guess my question is "why and what do you think they are getting here?" We aren't LE, sitting here discussing our investigation plans. We are just a group of people discussing what we believe may have happened. The perp already knows what happened, and us figuring it out isn't going to affect his freedom. Sometimes I think we give perps too much credit. Sometimes they aren't the geniuses we often think they are. Sometimes they are just damned lucky to do their crime and go undetected. Sometimes they may come here, or to sites like this, but I don't really believe that the majority do. I think, more likely than not, they just slink back into whatever existence they came from, until the urge to strike hits again. JMO
Israel Keyes succeeded in going completely undetected for years and was a careful and meticulous SK who planned and prepared for his crimes years in advance for some of his victims. He left behind few clues. Until he began to lose control and couldn't resist following his own murders on line. It was this carelessness that finally got him caught. Not saying this is what we have here, but I think the chances are just as likely as the perpetrator being known to Mollie. Going with how perfectly this crime was committed I would not be surprised if this is exactly what LE is dealing with, and that's why there is not an obvious trail, that's why LE is not releasing information to the public, that's why they can't find him, and that's why it could take years to find him. It's just my opinion but everything either points to that direction or a very clever person who has had contact with who has somehow managed to pull this off.

My opinion on the guests lurking , it's perfectly fine, and most of us probably started out as a "guest"and tested the waters before we dove in and started participating in discussions. It used to be that some of the registered posters let the guests know that they were welcome to register and would be welcomed, (I haven't seen that in a while though).... so c'mon all you GUESTS, join in with your thoughts. Let's all try to play a part and hopefully get Mollie home. :):):)

Totally agree, guests don't bother me at all. I posted on WS in the early 00s, and then when I worked for a big law firm that did not allow posting on social media or participation in online forums, I just read and lurked for years. I rejoined when I left that firm & worked for companies with less strict internet policies. There are lots of reasons you may want to follow a group discussion like this one but not participate.

Does DJ go to u of I? Was the apartment for mollie and him or mollie and a roommate? Where did mollie live last year during school?

There would be a record of their communications somewhere on her phone or computer. And she would possibly discuss it with a close friend. I could see her being casual friends with some older guy, and him possibly misinterpreting her intentions. Her brother said Mollie was nice to everyone. But I don't get that "secret affair" kind of vibe from Mollie's lifestyle. She is in college and seems to be focused,busy, happy and in love with DJ. She doesn't appear to have any real loose ends anywhere.

There are apps that leave no record, even on the user end (i.e. the phone).

Snapchat rival hopes to pounce on security breach

The second hurdle you mention would most definitely be harder to overcome because I agree that it's difficult for young folks to keep such "exciting" things a secret from close friends/confidantes, but it is not impossible. Some folks are good at keeping secrets, particularly when they have been groomed to do so and/or if they too have a serious relationship that would end. I'm sure that her friends are also friends with her boyfriend, FWIW.

To your third point, social media is often fabricated or "spun", so we can't really determine how Mollie seemed if that's all we can really use to gauge her. There was another less popular social media account that showed her being a bit more "raw and uncut" and perhaps not as enthusiastic about her life or plight.

But your points are definitely taken. This is merely one of many possible scenarios buzzing about in my head.

JMO.

Totally agree, guests don't bother me at all. I posted on WS in the early 00s, and then when I worked for a big law firm that did not allow posting on social media or participation in online forums, I just read and lurked for years. I rejoined when I left that firm had worked for companies with less strict internet policies. There are lots of reasons you may want to follow a group discussion like this one but not participate.

O/T, but I am happy you can again participate. Your posts are always well thought-out, and appreciated.

Does DJ go to u of I? Was the apartment for mollie and him or mollie and a roommate? Where did mollie live last year during school?

No he didn't, I don't think we know if he was going to college. Mollie lived in a dorm and she just signed a lease with a girl roommate for next year. I'm sorry I don't have links but there was an interview with her friend early on who said Mollie wouldn't just run away, they just signed a lease.

ETA: Here's an article that mentions the new apartment with a girl friend From Oakland to Iowa, Mollie Tibbetts' family relies on two communities and clings to hope

Last edited:
I think a missing child would work better with MT. Someone could just pull up by her and tell her his 5 year old is missing and show her a picture to see if she's seen him/her. When she gets closer to look at the picture, she'd most likely be off guard and easy to grab and throw inside. MOO
I could see this happening. For some reason I tend to be a person that every type of stranger stops to ask for directions/help...I must have a very helpful looking face or something (even tho I personally feel like I have resting face). Like I truly cannot even begin to estimate the amount of times strangers have approached me asking for help, it's really quite odd honestly. So maybe it's the same with Mollie and unfortunately this time the person had bad intentions.

It was the lead story this week cant tell ya what day. It was in print, I read it on google news.

First off, if you are going to say that then you need to provide a link.

Second, at no time has any LE involved with this case stated that they have ruled out kidnapping.

Third, pretty sure I found the article you are thinking of. Here is the link.

Mollie Tibbetts likely went off in car with someone she knew, says FBI ex-profiler

And herein lies the problem with your post, which gets to a larger issue. This article isn't based on an interview with any LE associated with Mollie's case or even any current member of law enforcement. This is an ex-profiler who now basically works as a consultant for Fox News. People need to actually read news articles and not just headlines. I'm not going to tell anyone how to post because that is against TOS, but I do hope that people actually go through and read news articles so that they understand where their information is coming from. The best place to get information is from the press conferences and the Finding Mollie web site, so if anyone feels like they need to catch up then I would direct them to start with those sources because those are the most official.

I think the sex offender could be from a neighboring country because they are only registered in the country in which they live and people in the next county over know nothing about them. They may be very familiar with Brooklyn because of the close proximity to where they live plus they could get out of the area rather quickly

respectfully snipped>>

But now when I hear people talk about it, I think to myself that person needs to go look at NAMUS or The Center for Missing and Exploited Kids and see how many people are missing who we have never heard about nationally of every race, creed, sex, age and financial background.[/QUOTE]

MT has made us care about her fate because she's MT.

The 'girl next door' - 20 year old clean-cut from the very heart of the U.S... Gets gone when she goes for a jog, for god's sake. Not a bad word about her. Works with kids. Her gorgeous pictures, her bubbly personality- the video of her goofing around at work the day before she vanished. And she was even seen by regular townsfolk, one referring to her walking as if she didn't have a care in the world. About to fly off to a wedding, excited. The height of summer. No risk factors. Not an addict. Not a prostitute. Zero record. No issues like that, not her. Straight shooter all the way.

Caring family members present. Her amazing father. That long-term high school sweetheart. Those pictures where she's beaming. Her clean-cut VSCO. Her brothers, the interviews. Her friends all over. The vigil. Her speaking about a god she prayed to. The video of her speaking eloquently to people at- what was it? A track meet? We have details. Fitbit, phone. We all saw SharonNeedles' videos. Some of us have routes memorized, know the town's layout by heart. The businesses. We know about her summer class., how she was to start sophomore year at one of the best universities here. In psychology. She wants to help people. Iowa. Corn. The American Midwest. It's a dream.

Not NYC. Not LA. It's a tinsy town the vast majority of Americans never would have heard of had this not happened. Things like that really never happen there. We read her tweets, how she describes herself, how she'd want to hype you up, tell you you're pretty. I would like her if I met her, I know I would. Wouldn't we all? That a force for good in the world like her can just go--- wherever she went. So whatever happened July 18 was very not right. It's like some basic quality we think we stand for as Americans got taken. A month in and "5-10pm" is what we got to work with. 5 red dots on a map where we can't even get 2 to work. We got the Vice President, even. The President, the dots, the time frame. So yeah, it stings, stings for a lot of Americans.

I have not seen anyone speculate that the 'perp' may have used the computer to throw off the timeline. That seems like the big fulcrum point in establishing MT's location and potential time and point of abduction. I would imagine the computer was dusted for prints? If the perp returned to the house after the 'crime' and clicked a few buttons it would wreak havoc on nailing down the sequence of events.
I think she was taken on her run/jog due to the fact that her jogging gear was all that seemed to be missing, but it is a fair point that if the person had spent any length of time in the house previously they would have had plenty of time to clean up/put things back.

Does anyone with fitbit experience know if you can take it off your wrist and put it on someone else's? And what happens, can it sync to the same program or does it reset or? Thanks in advance.

I don't know for sure, but I believe that it would continue to record the data and that data would go to the account of the person who set it up. I also wear a fitbit and I could test that out tomorrow. Will let you know.

I could see this happening. For some reason I tend to be a person that every type of stranger stops to ask for directions/help...I must have a very helpful looking face or something (even tho I personally feel like I have resting ***** face). Like I truly cannot even begin to estimate the amount of times strangers have approached me asking for help, it's really quite odd honestly. So maybe it's the same with Mollie and unfortunately this time the person had bad intentions.
I have the same problem. When I am at the store, a yard sale or wherever, people always ask me if I work there. It has happened my whole life. I could even be lugging around a kid and a purse and look like crap and still get asked. It's just weird!

Israel Keyes succeeded in going completely undetected for years and was a careful and meticulous SK who planned and prepared for his crimes years in advance for some of his victims. He left behind few clues. Until he began to lose control and couldn't resist following his own murders on line. It was this carelessness that finally got him caught. Not saying this is what we have here, but I think the chances are just as likely as the perpetrator being known to Mollie. Going with how perfectly this crime was committed I would not be surprised if this is exactly what LE is dealing with, and that's why there is not an obvious trail, that's why LE is not releasing information to the public, that's why they can't find him, and that's why it could take years to find him. It's just my opinion but everything either points to that direction or a very clever person who has had contact with who has somehow managed to pull this off.

The early request to 'be on the look out' in southern Utah was so random. I'm still contemplating that tidbit. A misguided acquaintance?

ST. GEORGE — Police in Southern Utah are asking for the public’s help in finding a woman from Iowa who went missing last week.

Mollie Tibbetts, 19, of Brooklyn, Iowa, was last heard from on July 18 when she sent a Snapchat message to her boyfriend. She never showed up to the daycare where she worked, police said.

Iron County Sheriff’s Lt. Del Schlosser told St. George News he doesn’t know if Tibbetts could have come to Southern Utah, but she has family connections in Washington County. Her family members in Washington County came to police asking them to be on the lookout for her.

“She went missing a long ways from Utah, but there’s still a chance she could be located here,” Schlosser said.

Last edited:
I am not afraid of anything but the worse case scenario, and not thinking genius, I am thinking youthful trolls/bullies or psychopaths/sociopaths. Both groups of which do, in fact, like to see themselves talked about.
I would think it would have to someone pretty clever to pull off disappearing someone without a trace. Either that or very lucky. I don't think this points to "youthful bullies", but you could be right in thinking sociopath. However, these people are usually very intelligent. They also have big egos, thinking they are smarter than investigators, and very often this is how they get caught.

They already caught SJ's killer. Jury convicted him and the judge sentenced him to death this year. He was 57 at the time of her murder, so not a young man. I think we may be looking at the same type of offender profile in MT's case.

More accurately, you can say "~100% they arrested and convicted a pretty strange fellow, 95% they caught the killer". I don't want to start discussions that will get my posts deleted but I would say at least a 2 or 3% chance the same killer.

Jmo as well as my belief that LE would not have halted their requests for unusual sighting at 10pm if she could have been taken from home, I don’t think her earbuds would be missing if she had arrived home and then let someone in or went out to speak to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther