Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting guidelines:

* We do not sleuth or accuse people who have not been named by LE as suspects or POI's.

* Do not link to social networking pages of people who have not been named by LE as suspects/POI. The few exceptions are victims' pages, LE and MSM pages.

* Questions about the rules or mod decisions should be addressed to a mod in a private message. DO NOT discuss them in the thread.

* If you see a post that violates TOS, please do not reply to it. Alert the post ASAP.

* If you quote a post which later is removed by a mod, your post is subject to removal, as well.

*Websleuths is a fact based site. Provide a MSM link for your assertions. Rumors are not allowed. Sites such as reddit or sub-reddit are not approved to be linked, referenced or discussed.

Updated 8/17/2018
WHAT WE KNOW
  1. Mollie’s jogging clothing is missing – pink sports bra, black shorts & running shoes
  2. Mollie’s devices are missing – cell phone, armband, FitBit and white earbuds
  3. She has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  4. The dogs were in the basement
  5. DJ said the door was probably unlocked
  6. She typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  7. She went for a run about 7:30
  8. She usually runs for 45 minutes
  9. LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  10. A digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  11. Video footage was collected from various businesses, including Casey’s & D&M
  12. Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  13. She may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  14. Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  15. Mollie was a creature of habit
  16. DJ sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  17. JT sent her at text approx. 7:30 am asking if she needed the car – no response
  18. There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  19. Her driver's license, passport and debit card were at the house
  20. Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  21. No signs of a struggle or forced entry
Reported Sightings
  • NH, 7:30 pm - W Pershing Dr
  • RT, time unknown - W. Des Moines – walking east, would have to go N or S
  • DR, 8 pm - East 2nd Street - jogging west toward Casey’s
DC, time unknown, West St - told by LE (not an actual sighting) that MT jogged past his house and made it home

FBI poster indicates that Mollie was last seen running on Pershing Drive.
https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/mollie-cecelia-tibbetts/@@download.pdf

Remembering Mollie

mollie_post.png

link

Hey, this is what I posted about WAY up post.

The cited article is about a plan (The Human Microbiome Post-Mortem Project) to make a catalog of all of the bacteria that digest a body after death, along with a data base of their DNA. The idea is that with a rapid (48 hour) DNA sequencing of these bacteria, taken from a dead body, that it might be possible to quickly determine a more accurate time of death in highly decomposed bodies, based on the type and species of bacteria found. Kinda like what the entamologists do with bugs, flys and larva showing up at different identifiable times in the process of decomp, only with MUCH smaller bugs, e.g. bacteria.

The "Thantomicrobiome" community is simply all of the bacteria found in the internal body organs and body cavities upon death. The "Epinecrotic" microorganisms are those found on the surface of a body, or in the mouth and gut; the same bacteria in your "probiotic" gummy bear, and others that cause tooth decay and bad breath. Also molds, fungi, and bacteria found on the skin and in the soil and the environment. (The human digestive track, from the mouth to the anus, is technically considered to be on the "outside" of the internal body)

This is new and speculative research, and is considered to be in the realm of "Extreme Microbiology". While the concept shows great promise, and will undoubtedly provide needy PhD' s with grant money, I don't know if this concept is quite ready for "Prime Time" or a Frey Hearing in open court. But it may one day provide a reliable TOD for a body after 33 days in the elements, in the Iowa corn rows.

The cited article, is from the May 2016 "Frontiers in Microbiology"

And yes, I do have reason to know about bacteria that affect the reproductive and urinary tracks. The Lady Doctor I worked for just did not like the mnemonics that I used to teach about the ones that cause disease. Unfortunately, she never heard the filthy mnemonics that the female student doctors in my Board Review Class came up with!

I hope this helps all to understand what the good Dr. Javan meant!

Thank you! I wasn't sure whether oral was internal or external.

Still, if 48 hours is the starting point, the half-life won't be worth much after 33 days, but maybe. Let me think about how to figure this out ... there must be a formula?

Otherwise ...

day 1 : half the specimen
day 2 : 1/4
day 3 : 1/8
day 4 : 1/16
day 33 ... would that be 48 divided by 2 - 33 times?

Still, if 48 hours is the starting point, the half-life won't be worth much after 33 days, but maybe. Let me think about how to figure this out ... there must be a formula?

Otherwise ...

I think???the dna 48 hours on the bacteria has something to do with the time that bacteria is observed after it is gathered?? not 48 hours from time of death??? confused.

or maybe it is from time of death? I am trying to understand but maybe not doing to great of a job at it.

looking back at the last post before we changed to a new. I think I maybe can understand it more if I look at it like growing a culture?

Last edited:
I think???the dna 48 hours on the bacteria has something to do with the time that bacteria is observed after it is gathered?? not 48 hours from time of death??? confused.

or maybe it is from time of death? I am trying to understand but maybe not doing to great of a job at it.

looking back at the last post before we changed to a new. I think I maybe can understand it more if I look at it like growing a culture?
It sounds to me like it's saying that if the bacteria can be tested within 48 hours of being removed from the body, extracting the DNA from it may help determine the time of death. I'm guessing that it takes at least 48 hours for bacteria to completely eliminate any DNA it has consumed. (probably the wrong words there, but hopefully makes my point... do bacteria consume things?) MOO

This is a post that makes complete sense, and yet . . .

By taking Mollie Tibbetts, he was racheting up the risk factor, the notoriety. Why would he consciously choose Mollie?

Maybe to increase the challenge for himself?

If he focused on other illegals, or continued to focus on other illegals if this is not his first crime, basically he would have been safe.

So, why change his victim pool?

My guess is that he targeted Mollie because she was his type. Mollie's features are similar to his girlfriend, and perhaps his girlfriend's features are similar to his mother's features.

It's possible that Mollie represented all that is completely out of his reach. It's the question of whether he killed her to cover his tracks, or whether it was always the plan.

It would be very interesting to learn that he has done this before, but it happened in the illegal immigrant community. This is a thought, not a fact. A question. If he has previous victims, were they from an invisible community?

My guess is that he targeted Mollie because she was his type. Mollie's features are similar to his girlfriend, and perhaps his girlfriend's features are similar to his mother's features.

It's possible that Mollie represented all that is completely out of his reach. It's the question of whether he killed her to cover his tracks, or whether it was always the plan.

It would be very interesting to learn that he has done this before, but it happened in the illegal immigrant community. This is a thought, not a fact. A question. If he has previous victims, were they from an invisible community?

I think so

Or maybe some like the 54 year old who threw herself at him?

My question is how long would DNA from the suspect be viable after death. That is, given that body cells erupt or disintegrate at an irregular rate after death, how well does foreign DNA, with a half-life deterioration rate, fare in that environment?

My question is how long would DNA from the suspect be viable after death. That is, given that body cells erupt or disintegrate at an irregular rate after death, how well does foreign DNA, with a half-life deterioration rate, fare in that environment?
I don't know a solid answer. I do think it could depend on a lot of things. like if there was a hair with skin still attached I think it would last longer than..for lack of a better way to put it..liquid.

I had asked the question of sperm and I believe that was 5 weeks.

It sounds to me like it's saying that if the bacteria can be tested within 48 hours of being removed from the body, extracting the DNA from it may help determine the time of death. I'm guessing that it takes at least 48 hours for bacteria to completely eliminate any DNA it has consumed. (probably the wrong words there, but hopefully makes my point... do bacteria consume things?) MOO
After rereading it, I'm wondering if it's not more that they're trying to figure out which bacteria attack the body at which point in decomposition. That way, they can extract bacteria and compare it to their records/catalog/whatever and be able to get a better idea what stage the decomposition is at. Say (bacteria) A is usually found within the first 36 hours; B is usually found after 24 hours but up to 72 hours; C is found from 48 to 72 hours; D is from 4 to 8 days; E is from 6 to 9 days, etc. If they find only A on a body, it has only been 24 hours or less; if there are both A & B, it's been 24-36 hours; D & E, it's been 6-8 days. I'm sure there are many more there that could give a much tighter time line if they get them all figured out and cataloged. MOO

Otherwise ...

No, there is no mention of a DNA half-life in the original article or abstract posted.

The 48 hours refers to an automated 48 hour rapid lab analysis, an automated sequencing of the DNA code that takes 2 days to perform, to identify the bacteria species eating the body. There will aways be newly divided bacteria present in a decaying body (this is why they are a bio-hazard). The species present, and their staging, can be used to determine TOD (at least that is what the paper proposes...)

Bacterial Half-Life is usually used to refer to how fast they grow, and how many more there will be after time passes, as their growth is exponential. They reproduce by splitting apart and doubling, always doubling..... Like Sheldon did on the couch in "The Big Bang Theory"... on into the trillions in individual numbers, a couple of thousand bacterial species involved in the decay of a body, some of which can cause disease. These 2,000 species are what the article proposes to catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa