Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid legal question that I've forgotten the answer to:

If convicted, will he absolutely serve his time in Iowa, or is it possible he'd serve it in Mexico?

Not a legal person but....
Usually they have to serve their full sentence in the U.S. & then they get deported back to Mexico. Say he gets 15 years in prison (not likely, but just as an example). He would serve his 15 years, and then deported to Mexico. But since he'll probably get life - he'll spend his days in the good old U.S. of A.
Hope that helps!

What really gets me is that as soon as the politicians latched onto this case and tried to make it political there was a resounding backlash at a local level. I remember at the time lashing out that we’re not interested in hosting a national immigration forum and Steve King needs to worry about what’s going on in his own district and leave us alone. So much for that...

Steve King: 'Leftist' immigration policies contributed to Mollie Tibbetts' death

SIOUX CITY -- Renewing his call for tougher enforcement of U.S. immigration laws, Iowa 4th District U.S. Rep. Steve King blamed the violent deaths of Mollie Tibbetts and several other young Americans on "leftists" who "sacrificed thousands, including their own, on the altar of political correctness."

King on Friday retweeted a post by ForAmerica, a nonprofit, conservative group, that listed 12 names of people killed by illegal immigrants, including Tibbetts, a 20-year-old University of Iowa student who disappeared on July 18 while on a run in her hometown of Brooklyn, Iowa. The suspect in her death, Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 24, was identified as an undocumented immigrant.

What really gets me is that as soon as the politicians latched onto this case and tried to make it political there was a resounding backlash at a local level. I remember at the time lashing out that we’re not interested in hosting a national immigration forum and Steve King needs to worry about what’s going on in his own district and leave us alone. So much for that...

Steve King: 'Leftist' immigration policies contributed to Mollie Tibbetts' death

SIOUX CITY -- Renewing his call for tougher enforcement of U.S. immigration laws, Iowa 4th District U.S. Rep. Steve King blamed the violent deaths of Mollie Tibbetts and several other young Americans on "leftists" who "sacrificed thousands, including their own, on the altar of political correctness."

King on Friday retweeted a post by ForAmerica, a nonprofit, conservative group, that listed 12 names of people killed by illegal immigrants, including Tibbetts, a 20-year-old University of Iowa student who disappeared on July 18 while on a run in her hometown of Brooklyn, Iowa. The suspect in her death, Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 24, was identified as an undocumented immigrant.
Maybe the facts of the case that aren't public knowledge make immigration more of a significant factor than we realize? Maybe both sides see potential benefits to politics playing a role? Just curious.

Not too sure IF this is still happening today - so I shall post it anyway.... just in case.

Thursday, April 4th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 9:30m CT) – IA – Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts (20) (July 18, 2018, Poweshiek; found Aug. 21, 2018) – *Cristhian Bahena Rivera aka John Budd (24) arrested & charged (8/21/18) & arraigned (9/19/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $5M cash only bond.
ICE logged an immigration detainer on Rivera. Confessed to killing Mollie.
Trial set to start 9/3/19.

8/22/18 Update: 1st appearance – Defense asks for gag order; files document that CBR is working legally in Iowa; employer offered info that it is not true. Judge denies gag order request. Did not enter plea. Next Prelim Hearing on 8/31, if convicted it would be a life sentence without possibility of parole. No death penalty in Iowa. Magistrate Crookham-Johnson on Wednesday continued to allow cameras in the courtroom. She denied the defense motion for a private hearing, saying media coverage of the initial appearance wouldn’t violate Rivera’s right to a fair trial because he wasn’t going to be asked that day to make statements about the facts of the case. After hearing defense files motion for private hearing, on the defense’s request, Crookham also set a schedule for a district court to review a motion to implement a gag order on the case (no date mentioned).
8/31/18 Update: Rivera’s new attorneys have waived his preliminary hearing, which had been scheduled for August 31st. They’ve also filed a motion to withdraw any previous motions filed by Richards while he represented Rivera – that includes a motion for a gag order.
9/15/18 Update: Arraignment set for 9/19/18. 9/19/18 Update: Plead not guilty. Waives right to a speedy trial. Next Management conference hearing 12/5, pretrial hearing on 4/4/19 & trial to start 4/16/19.
3/27/19 Update: Trial moved from Poweshiek County to Woodbury County. Trial has been moved to 9/3/19.
4/3/19 Update: Motion to withdraw counsel filed 4/3, order approving withdrawal of counsel.

Not too sure IF this is still happening today - so I shall post it anyway.... just in case.

Thursday, April 4th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 9:30m CT) – IA – Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts (20) (July 18, 2018, Poweshiek; found Aug. 21, 2018) – *Cristhian Bahena Rivera aka John Budd (24) arrested & charged (8/21/18) & arraigned (9/19/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $5M cash only bond.

8/22/18 Update: 1st appearance – Defense asks for gag order; files document that CBR is working legally in Iowa; employer offered info that it is not true. Judge denies gag order request. Did not enter plea. Next Prelim Hearing on 8/31, if convicted it would be a life sentence without possibility of parole. No death penalty in Iowa. Magistrate Crookham-Johnson on Wednesday continued to allow cameras in the courtroom. She denied the defense motion for a private hearing, saying media coverage of the initial appearance wouldn’t violate Rivera’s right to a fair trial because he wasn’t going to be asked that day to make statements about the facts of the case. After hearing defense files motion for private hearing, on the defense’s request, Crookham also set a schedule for a district court to review a motion to implement a gag order on the case (no date mentioned).
8/31/18 Update: Rivera’s new attorneys have waived his preliminary hearing, which had been scheduled for August 31st. They’ve also filed a motion to withdraw any previous motions filed by Richards while he represented Rivera – that includes a motion for a gag order.
9/15/18 Update: Arraignment set for 9/19/18. 9/19/18 Update: Plead not guilty. Waives right to a speedy trial. Next Management conference hearing 12/5, pretrial hearing on 4/4/19 & trial to start 4/16/19.
3/27/19 Update: Trial moved from Poweshiek County to Woodbury County. Trial has been moved to 9/3/19.
4/3/19 Update: Motion to withdraw counsel filed 4/3, order approving withdrawal of counsel.
Am I reading this correctly that there was a motion and an approval to withdraw counsel yesterday? This would be the second time for CR.

Thursday, April 4th:

On the day after it appears that CBR is again changing counsel, the only article I can find online from today (04/04/19) is about his trial being moved to Woodbury County...this is old news! Where are the articles reporting on the change of counsel??? Any Iowans on here seen any?
Rivera trial will be moved | The News-Review

girlhasnoname said:
Am I reading this correctly that there was a motion and an approval to withdraw counsel yesterday? This would be the second time for CR.

per the court site:

Event
Filed By Filed Create Date Last Updated Action Date
ORDER APPOINTING COURT INTERPRETER YATES JOEL D 04/04/2019 04/04/2019 04/04/2019
Comments: EMAILED TO INTERPRETER

ORDER APPROVING WITHDRAWAL OF COUNSEL YATES JOEL D
04/03/2019 04/03/2019 04/03/2019

MOTION TO WITHDRAW COUNSEL ROAN LAURA 04/03/2019
04/03/2019 04/03/2019

ORDER ON INTERPRETER OR TRANSLATOR FEE ITEMIZATION GAMON LUCY 03/28/2019 03/29/2019 03/29/2019
Comments: EMAILED TO S RHODES

link: https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm

per the court site:

Event
Filed By Filed Create Date Last Updated Action Date
ORDER APPOINTING COURT INTERPRETER YATES JOEL D 04/04/2019 04/04/2019 04/04/2019
Comments: EMAILED TO INTERPRETER

ORDER APPROVING WITHDRAWAL OF COUNSEL YATES JOEL D
04/03/2019 04/03/2019 04/03/2019

MOTION TO WITHDRAW COUNSEL ROAN LAURA 04/03/2019
04/03/2019 04/03/2019

ORDER ON INTERPRETER OR TRANSLATOR FEE ITEMIZATION GAMON LUCY 03/28/2019 03/29/2019 03/29/2019
Comments: EMAILED TO S RHODES

link: https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm
Does this mean the trial date will likely be extended, too?

On the day after it appears that CBR is again changing counsel, the only article I can find online from today (04/04/19) is about his trial being moved to Woodbury County...this is old news! Where are the articles reporting on the change of counsel??? Any Iowans on here seen any?
Rivera trial will be moved | The News-Review
I’ve seen nothing reported locally.

Does this mean the trial date will likely be extended, too?
I don't believe the lawyers noted as withdrawn are his primary counsel. I recall he's represented by the Frese -- Chad and Jennifer. I wonder if the two listed above are researchers, and/or tasked with doing something that they finished. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa