IA - Unknown number of casualties in Davenport apartment building collapse (5/28/2023)

Footage of the collapse, from a security camera. Also, details of interaction between Wold and a contractor-consultant:
Chuck Noyd is a licensed contractor very familiar with The Davenport, the downtown apartment building that collapsed Sunday.

He examined it with the new owner, Andrew Wold, when Wold bought the building in 2020.

Noyd noticed major problems right away, namely massive cracks that ran the length of the floors and transferred up the wall.

“I pointed out to him immediately,” Noyd said. “And on almost every floor as it got worse and worse that this is going all the way up the building. This is not a one-floor thing. This is every single floor.”

Footage of the collapse, from a security camera. Also, details of interaction between Wold and a contractor-consultant:

Chuck Noyd is a licensed contractor very familiar with The Davenport, the downtown apartment building that collapsed Sunday.

He examined it with the new owner, Andrew Wold, when Wold bought the building in 2020.

Noyd noticed major problems right away, namely massive cracks that ran the length of the floors and transferred up the wall.

“I pointed out to him immediately,” Noyd said. “And on almost every floor as it got worse and worse that this is going all the way up the building. This is not a one-floor thing. This is every single floor.”

Based on the video, the collapse DID start where the wall was weakened by the two large window voids. Just as I suspected.

If anyone can find out who blocked up those two windows however many years ago, I think that will tell us who set off the chain-reaction that ultimately caused the collapse. It may have taken 20 or even 50 years for the load from the floors above to reach breaking point, but that 's the point of failure IMO.

Edit: And based on the video, the portion of the wall that had been properly repaired in February, March and April of this year actually remained standing as the old wall collapsed around it.

Last edited:
Someone please correct me if I've misinterpreted this document, but in this official city document (23-22959 report - 2023-05-03T132901.366) I believe it says that on May 3 2023 the building owners were ordered to vacate the building by June 3 2023 because it had been deemed unsafe. The building collapsed 6 days before the deadline:View attachment 426143

The notice refers to "this building/unit", so I wonder if it perhaps it applied to a specific apartment.

The notice refers to "this building/unit", so I wonder if it perhaps it applied to a specific apartment.

You may be correct. There are other documents referring to specific apartments (including Notice to Vacate documents) but they specify the apartment number. Because this document only lists the building address, it's a little confusing.

Three men who have been missing since a six-story Iowa building collapsed on Sunday are feared dead, and city officials have deployed cadaver dogs in a last desperate bid to save them before demolishing the block.

JMO

More footage from same security camera, and at higher resolution, courtesy of News 8 (first signs of collapse start around 7:00)

Wow. I first spotted some crumbling at about 6:05 minutes into the video, then at 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 and 9:00, all around the window voids. The final collapse starts at 9:35 minutes.

If only anyone had known, there were a few minutes available to try to get people out. Hindsight is 20/20.

Wow. I first spotted some crumbling at about 6:05 minutes into the video, then at 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 and 9:00, all around the window voids. The final collapse starts at 9:35 minutes.

If only anyone had known, there were a few minutes available to try to get people out. Hindsight is 20/20.
BBM
Yes, it's dust or very fine material coming from the top of the first floor window level.

The owner will be in court in a few days ... the potential penalty seems pretty low for this type of disaster, where 3 people may have died.

The owner of the building, Andrew Wold, has been cited for failing to maintain the structure in a safe and structurally sound condition, according to a court document filed Tuesday. He faces a $300 fine plus court costs if he is found guilty or doesn’t contest the citation, the document says.

Wold’s court date is set for June 9.

Support brace seen bending as brick façade began to crumble prior to Davenport building collapse, new surveillance video shows

The owner will be in court in a few days ... the potential penalty seems pretty low for this type of disaster, where 3 people may have died.

The owner of the building, Andrew Wold, has been cited for failing to maintain the structure in a safe and structurally sound condition, according to a court document filed Tuesday. He faces a $300 fine plus court costs if he is found guilty or doesn’t contest the citation, the document says.

Wold’s court date is set for June 9.

Support brace seen bending as brick façade began to crumble prior to Davenport building collapse, new surveillance video shows
The $300 fine is nothing. But it does firmly establish the building owners guilt in this issue.

IMO, this ruling establishes a basis for many future wrongful death lawsuits.

Prayers up for the three people that are still missing (presumed dead) and their families.

JMO

Branden Colvin, Jr. the teenager who stood vigil because he wanted his father found, was convinced by his mother to attend his high school graduation yesterday afternoon, and he got a standing ovation, something he probably would rather not have had, if you think about it.

In the meantime, Branden Colvin Sr.'s body has been found. RIP. He sounded like a decent man who was loved by many people.

The 60-year-old man who was added later to this missing list had his possible status addressed by his daughter, who said he had a permanent address mainly so he could obtain disability benefits, and had spent most of his adult life living a voluntarily nomadic life, when he wasn't in the military or in jail. She said he could literally be anywhere, and possibly not know he's missing.

DAVENPORT, Iowa (KWQC) - The three people who were unaccounted for were found at the site of the downtown Davenport partially collapsed building, according to Police Chief Bladel.

Bladel said Branden Colvin Sr., 42, was found Saturday at 11:59 a.m., Ryan Hitchcock, 51, was found at 12:25 p.m. Sunday, and Daniel Prien, 60, was found Monday at 2:30 a.m. All were forensically identified.

Before presenting to the media, Bladel said there has been contact with the families and was a delay of information to be able to talk with the families.

At this time police do not have any additional information that there are any more people missing related to this incident, Bladel said. Autopsies will be done on victims.

On 24th May (4 days before the collapse) an engineer said that the wall was in imminent danger of falling ... the outer brick wall had separated from the inner wall.

View attachment 426365

Then on 27th May (1 day before the collapse) a worker in the back parking lot noticed the wall was bulging out. He told his boss, who called 911 and told them.

All of this tragedy could have been avoided. Such a shame.

It seems that The Davenport is not the only Wold property with issues:
DAVENPORT, Iowa — A Davenport business owner and her mother are speaking out over issues that plagued their previous building owned by Andrew Wold, the owner of the partially collapsed apartment in downtown Davenport.

Versailles Jewelry and Gems was located in the Village of East Davenport at 2200 E. 11th Street.

"Things moving and falling and breaking in the basement, and stuff not working," owner Jessica Kinney said. "It made it almost impossible for us to run our business here."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Engeluc
Back