ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BK's DNA on the button could be his touch DNA and not from his blood. My thoughts are he left more touch DNA at the scene but the DNA on the sheath connects him to the stabbings. Especially if none of the victims' DNA was on the sheath showing they didn't happen to own a sheath.
IMO there is probably other mixed DNA that will take a while to get back. The sheath was probably the first obtained and a single source.

I wonder if he knew someone in the area, or had been around lurking enough that the victims may have known him by sight.
I want to know what date he arrived to live in Pullman. If it was in August, he wasted no time at all getting to know the area around both towns, as he had never lived outside of PA before.

Could he have seen or even talked to X and/or M at their work when he was in the area during the summer in prep for his move?

Did he come to Pullman to study or to murder?

Busy, busy man now with nothing but time on his murdering hands.
MOO

Watching the court appearance I found it quite odd! His demeanour was that of a man who is engaged,fascinated and interested in what was being said. He did not seem fearful, rattled or in anyway worried about proceedings

I think he’s enjoying it! I also think there’s more to be revealed yet.

Yes, he's preparing for his time to feel relevant. His demeanour reminds me students in lectures, making faces to seem interested/intellectual. He should be S&%^ing himself. His reaction to *4* charges of **1st degree murder** :oops: is nonchalant, for "an innocent person".

And yes, people wrongfully accused have their faces analysed and everyone deals with stress differently (ie. 'student face' can be a coping mechanism), but the evidence is stacked up against him already (before the trial has even started).

Just an fyi of the process…

According to Sanders, once Kohberger arrives in Latah County, he will be formally arrested by Idaho authorities.

Kohberger will then have a first appearance hearing, where bail is usually set.

This is followed by a preliminary hearing, where prosecutors present evidence and witnesses in open court and the judge rules on whether to bind Kohberger over for trial, meaning the case is sent to district court. Sometimes defendants can waive the preliminary hearing.

Alternatively, Kohberger could go through the grand jury process, which is a mechanism to bring a serious criminal matter to district court and would replace the preliminary hearing. This process could lead to an indictment.

After bail and preliminary hearings, Kohberger would then have an arraignment hearing. That is when he will enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. After that, if the prosecutors and defendants wish, they can engage in plea negotiations.

Otherwise, both sides will prepare to go to trial.

What we know about Bryan Kohberger's legal process

That's weird because the Daybells had both a GJ and a prelim.

I think there is also a twin XL. My daughter had one in her dorm. Seemed a little longer and wider. I know it needed special sheets.
Same width, but yes, the XL is longer.

or something he saw on social media from the victims set him off…
Maybe he's a weird puritan that thinks people shouldn't have sex like in every horror movie, the people having sex always get murdered. If so that's why he left DM and the other roommate. This is 100% my own speculation and not saying anyone was having actual sex or that this was in any way the case.

Just trying to navigate this house is crazy. I don't see how you would even know where anything or anyone was, let alone be in and out in less than 15 minutes, while killing 4 people!

If the house is a rental, I’d imagine there were images of the layout online… from social media pictures the victims put up, I was able to get a good idea of the layout…

Confused by the articles stating that genetic genealogy was used in this case to identify the perp. Affidavit doesn't mention this, unless its a verbiage thing and people are referring to the comparison of DNA on the sheath button to trash at dad's as "genetic genealogy."
Genetic genealogy is used to generate leads. It is not in and of itself evidence.

Just an observation and opinion. If BK left the knife sheath on the bed, and it appears he did, that means he walked out of the victims' home with it in his hand, probably not even realizing it. He must have been in such a heightened state of euphoria or something. Could explain why he never saw someone standing in the bedroom doorway, who got a glimpse of him. Maybe he never realized the sheath was missing until he got in his vehicle. Unbeknownst to him, it could have come off his belt in a struggling scenario.

Yes. Let's add in that all of these young people are at that age where one considers themselves invincible. They hear a bump in the night...and they turn their airpods up. I hear one (53), and I can be almost certain that someone is in my home ready to rob and kill me. Young people have a different mindset. I'm envious of that at times. I was blissfully unaware during my college days, as I think most people are.

Additionally, to my knowledge, there was no reference of any major crime activity occurring in the area. There was no reason for she, or anyone else, to be overly cautious.

Put yourself inside your own head at 20 (ish) during a football/homecoming weekend at your school or university. You see a dude in passing in your hallway. You likely wouldn't assume he's a murderer, but instead a friend of one of your roomies.

There were 3 murders on my university campus during my freshman year. Did this change my sense of invincibility? Nope, because I was brought up with the strict doctrine that God would look after me. I'm quite serious. I had a divine co-pilot. As I learned more about crime that year (having taken a job as a crime scene photographer - briefly), my views slowly started to shift. Then, I was the victim of a significant theft (it was devastating! how could that happen!)

Still, I didn't change my habit of going out for late night solo walks and runs. A murder in my second year of university, near midnight, near a place that I frequented, did make SOME difference. But I persisted in my naiveté longer. Heck, on my first DAY of freshman year, I got in a car with a stranger - because he was a student! (A grad student!) When he turned away from the direction I asked him to go, I jumped out at a stop sign (thank goodness for the way roads had many stop signs on my campus). That changed my view about stranger rides.

The murder of yet another person in my junior year (off campus, but some place I frequently went) was the clencher in my progress toward safety as that same person had warned me that it was not a safe part of time and given me quite the parent-style lecture (she was a woman of about 50).

But still I kind of laughed at another grad student for going and getting a permit to carry mace, but after some reflection, decided to do so myself, probably due that one time that someone pulled a knife on someone else at a concert - it was the Allman Bros - and I was standing in between them as it went down, not knowing either of them; I will say that I first froze, then fled, abandoning the entire idea of getting something at the snack bar.

I went and found my pepper spray again, because of this case. I will do better with my students on these topics, this semester (and will be using this case in a couple of classes, so I do hope parents realize that their students are going to be "triggered" if they study psychology, criminology, anthropology, sociology, forensics or a number of other subjects, especially right after a crime like this one. Cultures vary by the kinds of crimes they have, that's for sure.

Moscow, ID has had murders (3 multiple homicides before this one, IIRC), suicides, at least one murder-suicide, and a death still under investigation, while WSU had a student take other students hostage (with a gun) in December. I hope these are used as an opportunity to help students actually BE safer, not just feel safer.

I think of single, double, queen, king. Apologies for my confusion. I probably got the twin idea from that home walkthrough someone posted earlier that identified Bedroom 3A as Madison Mogen's room, and the room shows a twin bed.
Yes. I recall photos of her room earlier, lots of pink stuff and a twin bed.

I believe you have misunderstood. The footage ends with the car leaving at 4:20am. The car was not on camera in motion for the full duration.
My point is as I stated in a previous post
IMO I just cant see being in a car, parking it in a non descript place, walking to the house, breaching entry, killing four people in a two story house, with one or two possibly putting up a fight, leaving the house getting back to where ever the car is parked (driveway or not, which I doubt) getting in the car and being seen again on another camera "in the area" at 4:20 only 16 mins later...maybe its just me but I dont see that happening.

OK, to start: hiiii!!! I've been MIA (couple of brain surgeries in last couple yrs) but I'm trying to get the hang of a new layout, websleuths is a bit different! I am trying to get my hands on the pca, any help? Bear with me as I get comfy again, I haven't been around since Gannon. (RiP)
I'm glad to be back!
Nice to see you!
I'm so sorry I didn't know you were ill!
It's a pretty cool layout.
Here's pCA
Welcome back.

Wow, I haven't caught up on all the reading here, but I'm just astounded by some of the comments.
There are many things that can be inferred from the affadavit.

XK received a door dash at 4 am. At 4:04 am, BK was entering the area for a fourth time, driving eastbound, turning around, driving westbound, and struggling to park. So, I imagine he took at least a couple more minutes to get into the house--say 4:05 or 4:06? Likely not much longer because he was leaving the neighborhood by 4:20. So, this entire event took place in approximately 15 mintues.

Which leads to this:
1-According to DM, around 4 am she "awoken" by what she thought was KG playing with her dog upstairs on the third floor.

Speculation: I speculate the time to be between 4:05 and 4:15, probably right around 4:10. The perp was in the house causing commotion on the third floor, which woke DM, whose room (we now know) was directly below MM's. MM, IMO, was the first killed. This also makes sense since the sheath was found next to her.

2- A short time after (we can infer within minutes), she heard who she thought was KG say "there's someone here." This prompted DM to get up and look out the door, seeing nothing.

Speculation: The person saying "there's someone here" was likely NOT EC, because I don't think DM would confuse EC and KG. It could've been KG who may have responded to the commotion in MM's room, or maybe even XM who got off her TikTok and left her food in response to the commotion. I am going to go with KG, because I'm quite sure DM is very familiar with KG's voice. Maybe KG didn't fall asleep in MM's room, maybe she was drawn in there from the commotion.

3- DM then opened her room for a second time when she heard what she thought was crying coming from XK's room. A man says "it's okay, I'm going to help you." Likely at or within a minute of 4:17, the same time as the camera (which was less than fifty feet from XK's room) picked up the whimpering, a thud, and dog (Murphy) barking. At this time she sees the perp, dressed in all black, with a mask on walking TOWARDS HER and then towards the door.

Speculation: So now he's on the second floor and presumably both victims upstairs have been attacked. DM was likely peering through the door; he didn't see her. But given her stance as "frozen shock phase," the crying, the thud, the dog barking, the commotion---there is no way she thought what was going on was innocuous---like a food delivery or a friend. She likely didn't know what was going on, but she wasn't "frozen [in] shock" out of anything but fear. She was likely traumatized and didn't know how to respond--but it's absurd to think she just dismissed it and went back to bed as some people are speculating. Seems EC and XK were the final victims, and I'm leaning towards XM being the one whimpering knowing what awaited her as the final victim.

4-Perp is on his way out of the neighborhood by 4:20.

It does seem like a short period of time at first, but it's really not when you think about what happened in those 9 minutes or maybe more so what didn't happen. There was no sexual assault, the house wasn't ransacked/lot of property stolen, no prolonged struggles with the victims, etc. He literally walked in and stabbed four drunk, sleeping kids to death and then walked out.

True points. But, Xana was awake (intoxicated maybe) but just got her DDash food.

I need to read the PCA again. Is it believed BK didn't enter the home until after the DD delivery??

It does seem like a short period of time at first, but it's really not when you think about what happened in those 9 minutes or maybe more so what didn't happen. There was no sexual assault, the house wasn't ransacked/lot of property stolen, no prolonged struggles with the victims, etc. He literally walked in and stabbed four drunk, sleeping kids to death and then walked out.
Exactly. A person could be stabbed to death in a matter of seconds. This could easily have been done in 5 minutes and out the door, especially if it had been rehearsed in his mind. The thing that gets me is how did he know who was in what room? Nothing says that he knew, but it seems like he went straight for the victims. He apparently walked right by DM's room and never even looked in there.

@kittythehare
The thread closed before I could respond to you. Here's a screengrab from below. It's not good quality but it shows what about where to look. The link starts at 7:10 and the man walks out of the lower LH corner around 7:19. He's alone, strides across the field. I think it's him, but that's solely my speculation. Mostly based on the vid from his grad walk.

Memorial video starts at 7:10
@kittythehare
The thread closed before I could respond to you. Here's a screengrab from below. It's not good quality but it shows what about where to look. The link starts at 7:10 and the man walks out of the lower LH corner around 7:19. He's alone, strides across the field. I think it's him, but that's solely my speculation. Mostly based on the vid from his grad walk.

Memorial video starts at 7:10
Wow I think this is a good find - if someone could take screenshots of his side view walking to and from the jail and plane etc and put them all next to each other with this I bet they’d match. It’s a certain way he holds his head along with the walk, and the hairline. Also if you stop the shot right as he enters the frame his face is more towards the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288