ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
One puzzling question tho, why did Murphy not have any blood on him? As SG describes his daughter's injuries as being significantly different than M's.

I would just cringe to see the aftermath of that room, you know there's blood absolutely everywhere.
Murphy was put in a separate room either before or after the fact. Not sure if he had already been in there or if he was put in there during/after but he was found in separate space

Last edited:
I wonder why he chose a knife, personal and very messy. And chance of cutting yourself. Why not a gun with silencer? Or strangulation if most were asleep? Just curious
"Silencers" are called suppressors now, because they really aren't silent. A really good one can dampen the sound a decent amount, but they are also very expensive. For a 9mm pistol, anywhere from $1,000 and up for a really good one. And that's assuming he already owned a handgun. And you need a special permit for suppressors. I don't know about the secondary market but it can be risky buying a used one if you don't know what you're doing.

Strangling someone takes alot of strength and they have a chance to make a lot of noise before you incapacitate them.

Well, I've been following true crime nearly all my life and I think it is very revelant. We don't know what the father knows at this point.
When my daughter was in her early thirties she asked me to fly to Minneapolis and drive back to Sacramento with her. It was a fun trip. We stopped for lodging one night and traded off driving thru the day.

In her late 30s, when she moved from sacramento to Venice FL I drove with her there and flew back to sac. Why? Why not? I had the vacation time and it was good spending time with my adult Daughter.

I never imagined anyone would find that strange.

Equating boxing skills to stabbing someone in the chest is a stretch. Throwing a punch is a completely different movement. Doesn't even involve the same muscle groups. Not remotely close. Stabbing someone to death would require very little skill, IMO. Some strength, coordination, and determination would get it done. MOO, but supported by a Black Belt and knife fight training.
Seems incongruous to have the forethought to plant a sheath and yet drive around with his cell phone.
I doubt he would plant the sheath. What would the point of that be, outside of a Criminal Minds episode?

Yes. But I did not check actual sale price, it is more like a list price for a 50-60k mileage 2015 Elantra.
more than I expected too.
He could have sold it before the murders and purchased a cheaper non conspicuous mode of transport and a plane ticket to anywhere.
We don't even have a booklist for him, a magazine subscription, nothing at all.. clutching at straws.. I'm going nuts..
I'm not searching for rational here because there is no rational.
What did he believe?

Maybe he had phone off (obvious reasons) and got lost, so that’s why he turned phone on randomly.
Good idea. I notice md his stop
Sorry if this has been discussed previously, I'm not totally caught up ... 48 Hours mentioned the suspect's sister was in a horror slasher movie about 11 years ago ... could suspect have been influenced by the movie about a way to carry out a murder? Not saying the movie influenced him to kill someone, that evil was already there, perhaps gave him an idea of the means to carry it out.
I would think so. He was 17 when she made the movie. Sister in a movie is a big deal.

I'm having a real problem justifying the cost of flying across country to Washington State to help your son drive home 2600 miles away. Certainly, a couple nights of lodging would be much cheaper than someone flying across country to help someone drive non-stop home. Doesn't make sense to me any way I can try to make it make sense, know what I mean?
I would love the chance to take a road trip with one of my adult kids. For me, it wouldn't be about the money but rather the time we got to spend together.

IMO BCK forgot the sheath because he didn't plan on three residents being awake (this includes Kaylee who likely awakened) nor did he plan on a dog raising absolute hell. It's entirely possible to be highly intelligent, capably planful and then fall prey to stress-induced sloppy execution. I agree about "winning" and believe that he tried through normal means (Army Ranger, police officer) to achieve what he wanted. If he has a grudge(s) then one of them is about all the agencies that turned him away, and his crime was to prove that they were mistaken and he was the best. Which leads right into my theory that his research questionnaire would've ultimately been answered by the Idaho killer (plus some other fake crimes if he needed greater n) to perhaps become the topic of his dissertation. Wow! Bryan Kohberger would have a reputation before his PhD became reality. Sort of like Katherine Ramsland and Dennis Rader, but faster. MOO
Me? I can't imagine why he didn't abandon his plans when he saw the Door Dash delivery take place, that certainly meant that someone was awake.

And, I agree, he may have seriously over-estimated his own abilities, intellect and crime knowledge and very much under-estimated the small town MPD's ability to investigate and solve this crime. IMHO, he seemed to have an elevated view of his intellect and crime smarts, and thought he knew far more than others, including the MPD. If true, that was another serious miscalculation on his part.
I think he thought he was smarter than God.

It is ambiguous, maybe sloppy reporting. He couldn’t drive by as “the media and police were at work“ - at least not at work on the Idaho murder case - earlier than LE actually arrived. The 911 call didn’t come until 11:58 am.
Oh DUH, obvious now that you pointed it out, thanks, I can be dense.

Yes. So much speculation here early on about how no perp would park nearby. Various walking routes to & from a "hidden" car were devised.

Very odd that BK put his transportation RIGHT AT the scene of the crime, leaving so much CCTV evidence. Darkness wasn't much of a cover for a white car, anyway.

I guess he will explain all in his eventual BTK-like manifesto. But it won't make sense then either.

I have never tried to get inside the mind of a murderer & have to say this one repels much more than he intrigues!

JMHO

You're definitely onto something. Common sense says don't park right where he parked. But he does.

So something is going on, he is having to work himself up to a particular mental state before he acts - but when he does, he's no longer rational. He thinks he can retain his rationality while committing this crime.

He really believes it. How he got there is, IMO, a series of very conscious choices.

Maybe there doesn’t need a justification. Some people have parents that will do things like that for them, to keep them company, spend time with them. MOO
I agree, I don't see at this point that there is any need at all for a justification. We are not meant to sleuth folks not named by law enforcement at POIs IMO, If I recall the rules correctly?

Equating boxing skills to stabbing someone in the chest is a stretch. Throwing a punch is a completely different movement. Doesn't even involve the same muscle groups. Not remotely close. Stabbing someone to death would require very little skill, IMO. Some strength, coordination, and determination would get it done. MOO, but supported by a Black Belt and knife fight training.

I'm equating muscle memory and typical work-outs beforehand. There aren't many knife classes, but the ones I've observed use (basically) upper cuts, jabs, etc and put a very strong emphasis on arm strength, torso strength and quickness.

Is that not common to both?

My point is that he didn't take up tennis or ping-pong. He didn't just life weights. He did boxing/kickboxing - similar moves, imo, as someone who has some background in forensic knife wounds.

IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member