ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped for focus>

Another thing that I’m curious about is whether his DNA or his father’s DNA was found on the button-snap? I was confused by that in the affidavit given them using generic genealogy to match the DNA from weapon sheath and the trash recovered from his parent’s. This worries me as a source of wiggle room for the defense to present. Not that they would say it was the dad if it was found to be his DNA but if they can’t definitively tie BK’s DNA to the scene. Hopefully that makes sense. If anyone can clear this up for me that would be greatly appreciated.
Now that LE has BK's DNA, they can compare it to the DNA found on the knife sheath snap, and have a more firm conclusion about it being a match to BK or not. IMO

I believe it is a result of his internal conflict, resolve to not be the victim. He didn't just choose his actions casually as a good idea. This was the result of many years of studying this type of crime and resolving his own victimization. He resolved that his actions where appropriate to satisfy a personal self image, a desire, a belief, and then actions to obtain what he felt was needed. To him, this was progress. No matter how distorted it may be, to him, it was an appropriate response to something either in his months in Idaho or in how he was formed when exposed to the environment he lived in. It is not clear to me how he chose Washington. But here we are. How do we do better.
"How do we do better?" That is where my focus is, as well. BK will be dealt with by the courts. But that doesn't solve the problem. It doesn't prevent the next mass murder. We need to understand these people. What circumstances, vulnerabilities, sequence of events leads these people to act in this manner? What mechanisms can we put into place to identify and treat these people before they act out and cause damage to society?

It's great to pour all this money and manpower and attention into dealing with this one individual. But there are many, many more out there just like him. Shooting up schools, movie theaters, churches, grocery stores. It's a problem and we definitely need to do better. It's not enough to just execute this one man and move on. That does nothing to prevent future victims.

The endeavor to understand BK is a worthwhile one. That does not mean I'm excusing, justifying, defending, sympathizing or otherwise minimizing what he did. I don't. It was 100% inexcusable. Full stop. But we can use him as a tool for further understanding of this phenomenon. My opinion only.

Are you saying he wanted to be caught just so he could make that claim? That just doesn't compute for me. But you can't argue with a sick minf, I suppose...
Not saying he wanted to be caught, but in his mind/plan, carrying a leather sheath could be used as an argument toward reasonable doubt if he somehow left it behind and/or it was recovered somewhere else. IMO, in this fiction-come-to-life he created, there is before the crime, during the crime, after the crime and an if I get caught section.

jmo

View attachment 394264

that's how I interpret this line, yes

However IDK from that paragraph whether, at the same time, they checked the phone to see if BK had also been checking the victims SM accounts etc or, if they did, they would include that in the PCA at this time.
I am not reading this as
Just trying to get my head around BK’s timelines and whereabouts for the last 10 years… Where was he/what was he doing in 2014? Thanks
I would bet money he has broken into homes to get money for his drug habit. MOO

I think BK knew his vehicle would be captured on some cameras close to the crime scene; there just wasn't anyway around it. To counter, he chose a route that misdirected south, eventually into rural areas without camera coverage. He waited in this area for a time before eventually traveling east and then back north headed for Pullman. With his phone turned off, his calculation was that LE would only have the color, make, and model of a car that was produced in the hundreds of thousands, that traveled in a direction away from his residence. In his mind, this was acceptable. That was his plan.

IMO, BK never expected LE to pull camera footage in Pullman (kudos to LE!), and this is what eventually put him on their radar.

I think BK also took precautions not to leave DNA, and I won't be surprised if DNA on the sheath is the only DNA of his found at the scene. IMO he put the sheath in a sweatshirt/coat pocket after entering the residence and it fell out in the physical violence of the assault in Maddie's room. In the dark or dimly lit room, he never saw it, and with an adrenaline flushed brain he probably didn't even think about the sheath until he got south of Moscow. I don't believe the sheath was left intentionally... I think he returned to the scene later that morning in hopes that the sheath would be found where he had parked.

If I’m not mistaken, isn’t the knife his father’s? I might be drawing that out of thin air but I believe his dad was a former marine and perhaps he passed it down to him. I know the PCA mentioned the Marines emblem on the sheath.

That possibility also goes along with my theory that the DNA found was there far prior to that night. He would’ve had to have hold this weapon, possibly practice, etc. I could imagine him aimlessly reading or thinking and just clicking the button-snap back and forth. Hell he might’ve even done so in the car before going in.

Another thing that I’m curious about is whether his DNA or his father’s DNA was found on the button-snap? I was confused by that in the affidavit given them using genetic genealogy to match the DNA from weapon sheath to the DNA recovered from the trash at his parent’s house. This worries me as a source of wiggle room for the defense to present. Not that they would say it was the dad if it was found to be his DNA but I just worry if they can’t definitively tie BK’s DNA to the scene. The PCA’s language just tripped me up as it says, “At least 99.9998 percent of the male population would be expected to be excluded from the possibility of being the suspect's biological father.” Or could that just simply be explained as they used the trash recovered to gather BK’s dad’s DNA And that then matched to a certain degree as being the father of the suspect whose DNA was on the sheath? Hopefully that makes sense. If anyone can clear this up for me that would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, the dna in the trash matched and was related as the father of the suspect/mystery dna on the sheath. (99.9998% of the male population was ruled out.) Basically a simple and fast paternity test.

This may be off-topic but I feel like we should just call him Bryan or BK. He seems to idolize BTK, and giving him the moniker BCK would give him exactly what he wants and feed his ego. But worse, it may encourage some troubled teen whose initials are BDK or BPK. We do not need more monsters in this world. I also dislike the media showing his evil face. I really don't want to look at him. Anyone agree?
I certainly don't want to look at him, I wish the media would show his face less often.

I'd rather refer to him as BK than Bryan. Bryan is personal, familiar. BK is like a tag so on here we know what/who we're referring to. Otherwise I would refer to him by last name only, except then we couldn't distinguish him from other mbrs of his family. MOO

The timeline is important here for sure. And I wondered about the camera times. Given the amount of time LE has had with the footage, I would think the times given in the PCA are accurate. That does leave a pretty tight time window, but I think it is certainly "doable." The references to what DM saw/heard and when are problematic, in my opinion. I don't cast aspersion on her, but I think her memory may not be accurate. She is just awoken, may or may not be intoxicated to some degree, and we are told was left in a state of terror. I think its safe to say her memory of specific events and timing may be off. And that is important for LE and the DA to deal with. Certainly not everything she told LE is in the affidavit. So there is more to learn. But in my opinion, and this is just after only a couple days thinking on it, her details given, don't fit with some of the other "facts." And I suspect this is a result of faulty memory or LE not taking down her comments correctly. I really do wonder if the sounds she reported as playing with the dog are not actually the beginning of the attack and perhaps the sounds recorded by the neighbor's camera.
In giving a truthful account, DM would not be saying the sounds she heard were the beginning of the attack. She believed the sounds she heard upstairs were Kaylee playing with Murphy, she had no idea her housemates were being attacked.
I think it would lead to loads of trouble for DM to override her initial assumptions with what she later learned to have really happened, imo.

No, probably more like came out of his pocket as he pulled the knife out of it.

He must have presumed his target/s were all asleep and in bed in that case, so he didn't feel he needed to draw his weapon ( make it ready in advance) as soon as he'd entered the home .( Once he was thru the sliders)

I'm curious to find out if Ethan parked at the king rd house to avoid campus parking because most college campuses have such rules and structure and seeing how close it was to his frat residence it would've been easy to keep it there even when he was across the street.

Also his siblings car who arrived parked behind the brothers car, so that too might have been the norm for a party house or if Ethan parked or left his car there often. My opinion on this makes me wonder if while BCK was casing the house, he just always saw it there yet possibly didn't happen to see Ethan so BCK assumed it was some roommates car.

Ethan might have been quite a surprise to BCK. MOO.

K

TBH, you guys, I really think it's a typo and that they meant to say Johnson, WA. I've lived in Idaho all my entire life (50 years) and I've never heard of a city here named Johnson. I also Googled it and got nothing.
You are right. I looked at the map closer and Johnson is across the border into WA, so that explains that. To further support it, the PCA says that when he's in Johnson around 5:30 pm, he's in the same area he had traveled right after the murders, which we know was through Uniontown north to Pullman, which goes right past Johnson. Thanks for helping clear that up!

I think BK knew his vehicle would be captured on some cameras close to the crime scene; there just wasn't anyway around it. To counter, he chose a route that misdirected south, eventually into rural areas without camera coverage. He waited in this area for a time before eventually traveling east and then back north headed for Pullman. With his phone turned off, his calculation was that LE would only have the color, make, and model of a car that was produced in the hundreds of thousands, that traveled in a direction away from his residence. In his mind, this was acceptable. That was his plan.

IMO, BK never expected LE to pull camera footage in Pullman (kudos to LE!), and this is what eventually put him on their radar.

I think BK also took precautions not to leave DNA, and I won't be surprised if DNA on the sheath is the only DNA of his found at the scene. IMO he put the sheath in a sweatshirt/coat pocket after entering the residence and it fell out in the physical violence of the assault in Maddie's room. In the dark or dimly lit room, he never saw it, and with an adrenaline flushed brain he probably didn't even think about the sheath until he got south of Moscow. I don't believe the sheath was left intentionally... I think he returned to the scene later that morning in hopes that the sheath would be found where he had parked.

SRIPEY,
You think like me. AGREE!

And nicely stated. Easy to read and understand.

thanks!

This may be off-topic but I feel like we should just call him Bryan or BK. He seems to idolize BTK, and giving him the moniker BCK would give him exactly what he wants and feed his ego. But worse, it may encourage some troubled teen whose initials are BDK or BPK. We do not need more monsters in this world. I also dislike the media showing his evil face. I really don't want to look at him. Anyone agree?
We could always refer to him as Kohberger. We aren't bound by the rules to use his initials, but we also cannot make demeaning nicknames. JMO

Needless to say but it all just makes my stomach ill. Someone here mentioned BK possibly claiming he was framed, my mind went into overdrive lol, I could see him, framing himself, thinking he is just smart enough to make it look like he did it without leaving proof. Claiming someone has put so much effort into making him look guilty. I know this sounds batshit cray cray but it got in my mind so I am sharing the thought.

Moo but I don't think BK touched the dog at all. I suspect the dog was in a crate in K' s room. Maybe he wouldn't settle down while K was in there so she went to chill with M for awhile to let the dog settle and go to sleep thinking she'd sneak back to her room later (or not, maybe just stay with M). I don't think BK had to handle the dog at all.
I was wondering if Murphy, though he looks nearly full grown, is still in his puppy phase? If so, then yes, she would likely put him in a crate at night so he’d stay out of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500