ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 61

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm beginning to think that the mitigating evidence presented by BK's attorneys (in the death penalty phase of the proceedings) will lean heavily into a dissociative or depersonalization disorder. Interesting to read the above anecdotes and then read about the symptoms of such disorders. If BK was already experiencing depersonalization circa age 15, he's lived half of his life with this condition and with awareness of this condition.

One noteworthy quote:

The difference between depersonalization and psychotic disorders is awareness. People with depersonalization disorder know the feelings of detachment are not real. People with a psychotic disorder believe their feelings are reality.

That's a very noteworthy difference.

Without diagnosing from a web forum, if he has competent defense team, and does not himself resist bringing mental health into, we can't say it won't be evoked. In Idaho you can't plead "not guilty by reason of insanity" but the jury can find "guilty but insane" which has implications for his punishment. And if he had a heroin abuse issue, and did not kick it himself, but kicked it in treatment he may well have been diagnosed with OUD, then he will have had a DSM listed mental "disorder."

Meh, I doubt something like that will fly. You can't really claim a psych diagnosis that didn't impair you at the time of the murder. OUD doesn't make you kill nor make you insane. OUD in remission definitely doesn't make you kill nor make you insane. If you're not impaired at the time of the murder, you don't have a mental health plea. MOO

If Pappa Rodger is indeed BK, then I think MM was the target because the photo cover for the FB group he created centers on her. Some other girls are in it, but MM is the focus. Did anyone else notice that?

Yes, and I agree - if there was a target, it was Maddie. From what we can glimpse.

Has anyone read or heard anything regarding other PhD programs that BK may have applied to besides WSU?

I can't get the Juetten case out of my head, even though (1) it happened in August 2021, nearly a year before BK relocated to Pullman and (2) it occurred nearly 400 miles from Pullman. Details about that killing are hard to come by, but there are at least some surface parallels to the Moscow murders, including: approximate time of attack (3am), weapon (knife/long knife), victim profile (young, white, coupled), place of attack (bedroom while victims are in bed).

It's not uncommon for future PhD students to make early visits to schools they are planning to apply to so they can meet faculty, get a sense of campus and departmental culture, etc. I believe applications are typically due about a year before the intended enrollment date, which would mean fall of 2021 in BK's case. So it's not impossible that BK traveled to one or more schools the summer before he applied. I'd be curious to know if he considered any other criminology programs in the Pacific Northwest and, if so, whether he made any visits to those schools.

You are not the only one:

It is very common for Ph.D. students to visit campuses before deciding. And yes, applications are usually one year out.

I wish we knew.

There are allot of common traits on mass murderers and shooters but I can’t find any on knife killers. Would they be lumped together? Like no empathy? Grandiose? Ackward socially or very personal? Bed wetting etc

While reading this article from people discussing how chatty he was, I can't help but wonder if he was trying super har to blend in and appear normal (too much, maybe) so that neighbors wouldn't grow suspicious of him. JMOO

Well my experience was a good 20 years ago. He was just a jerk. Lol. As he said in a heated email exchange "I happen to be a professor, so I'm well educated". So? Ha ha. Him = professor, Kohberger = working on PhD. Maybe there is something to really smart, no common sense. JMO
MOO Some friend he belittled into leaving said it best. he is a moron. No amount of schooling can de-moronize you, that takes humility and actually caring about something else besides yourself.

SG did, and now has walked that back.
Something is fishy here.. and the lawyer that represents one of the family’s is now talking for them all? And honest question… how can a parent of one girl go view the other bodies? How does SG know how brutal or less brutal others were ? Is that even allowed? My head is staring to spin.

How do they know she was on Tik tok? Sometimes social media shows I’m online when I’m not. I assume if her phone is left open it might show she’s active… unless she posted would they really know?
Exactly what my wife has postulated. Great point. Apparently, TikTok is an app that if you leave it running on your device while you fall asleep, the App will continue to operate until it times out, presumably based on the settings on you device. Given this potential, I believe the prosecution would be hard-pressed to establish a timeline based on Xana’s TikTok usage. In my opinion, the DoorDash delivery is probably the best evidence to set the timeline. I presume the delivery can be verified by a message from the driver to Xana announcing her food had arrived. It would be interesting to know how much of the contents of the Jack-in-the-Box bag were actually consumed. Did she even get a chance to eat any of the order? Trying to avoid the macabre thoughts of that being her last meal.

Exactly what my wife has postulated. Great point. Apparently, TikTok is an app that if you leave it running on your device while you fall asleep, the App will continue to operate until it times out, presumably based on the settings on you device. Given this potential, I believe the prosecution would be hard-pressed to establish a timeline based on Xana’s TikTok usage. In my opinion, the DoorDash delivery is probably the best evidence to set the timeline. I presume the delivery can be verified by a message from the driver to Xana announcing her food had arrived. It would be interesting to know how much of the contents of the Jack-in-the-Box bag were actually consumed. Did she even get a chance to eat any of the order? Trying to avoid the macabre thoughts of that being her last meal.
My thoughts exactly. The bag was left on the counter… but arrived at 4:00am goes upstairs eats (guessing) jumps on TT and boom gets murdered all in 12 minutes.. How did the bag get on the counter? She ate it where? Standing up in the kitchen ? In her room?

~4am - DoorDash arrival
~4am - DM awoken by Gonclaves playing with dog
4:04am - BK parks his car (surveillance camera)
4:12am - Kernodle on TikTok
4:17am - security camera picks up audio of a "whimper"/thud and a dog beginning to bark
4:20am - BK leave scene at high rate of speed (surveillance camera)

From the time of parking to leaving there is 16 minutes.

For this to make sense, BK would have gone to the 3rd floor first. DM believing she heard Gonclaves playing with her dog was likely BK committing the murders. Kernodle was still active on TikTok at 4:12, so that leads me to believe BK didn't enter her room until after that time.

4:04 to 4:12 gives him 8 minutes to walk to the house and kill the two girls upstairs.
4:12-4:20 gives him 8 minutes to kill the two on the second floor, walk back to his car and leave.

This time frame is so tight, one would have to believe that he caught them all sleeping and/or not paying attention. Any amount of physical fighting or wrestling with BK would make this timeline untenable. However, at the very least Kernodle was awake based on her TikTok timeline, her "whimpering," the thud, and her being found on the floor near the bathroom. Maybe she was nodding off and BK killing Chapin woke her and she tried to run away? And that's why BK may have said "I'm trying to help him?"

And did the same thing happen upstairs? One of the girls woke and that's why she was found on top of the other one?

The timeline of this really gets to me and I can't put my finger on why...
Could the tiktok possibly be playing repeatedly if her phone was left on with the app open?

I'm a few years older than the victims and my phone times out after 30 seconds. TikTok doesn't keep running any differently than any other app - the sound/video will loop but it does not hold your phone open. I don't know anyone in my age group who has their phone auto-lock set to less than a minute - you'd drain your battery a lot. IMO if they put it in the PCA they knew she was actively using it.

Either way I agree that DoorDash and whether it was eaten is a good data point. Also, the car parking at 4:04 and leaving at 4:20 is a pretty tight timeframe just by itself

Bryan Kohberger was eager to make friends, neighbors say — and so chatty one sometimes dodged him​

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde? Seriously, maybe he's bipolar, too? Not diagnosing. Just finding these reports to be unhelpful.
JMO

I never thought of that before. If her dasher came to the front door while BK was coming in the slider they might have just missed eachother.
The dasher came and left at 4:00am, no? BK was still parking at 4:04. IMO X had already gotten her food and was eating or starting to eat it somewhere when BK entered. The brown paper Jack in the Box bag was in the kitchen in early photos so IMO X took the food out, put the bag there, and then went to her room (MOO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member