ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 61

Status
Not open for further replies.
People started writing about the Kennedy assassination almost immediately and everyone rushed to publication with their efforts. Started a small industry, really.

The crucial piece of this book sale is that whoever the author may be, they need access to BK or the book is just going to rehash the public record. Whether any of the families will talk to someone who is also interviewing/getting close to BK, I don't know (I wouldn't).

My mind went some place dark. Is there something so awful in what they found at his apartment that they fear public outrage? A need for higher security to protect BK? Possible mob action?

Could be a need to protect the families while they are still in the earlier stages of grieving, but somehow, that doesn't seem quite like the reason.

If what they found in his apartment was so damning (things on his computer?), then perhaps they are trying to protect their prisoner?
Perhaps a list of other potential victims?

And though he seems to have carried out the deed himself, another person could have been involved in information-gathering; reconnoitering, etc.
True. He could have been part of some really ugly exchanges of certain illegal things online. JMO.

Stalking at night, surely he saw the ladies in pjs, nighties, maybe undressing etc. sexually turning him on. It got to him more and more. Just a thought that getting into the house and his fantasies in over drive. The knife acting like his manhood he never was able to use? JUST MY OWN THINKING
That’s why it’s so important to be cautious …

Long post of opinions and assumptions (MOO!)

Ok just processed this detail… Dylan says that BK was walking TOWARDS her when she opened the door. Given the floor plan, he’d have to have been leaving Xana’s room. Coming down the stairs would put him walking past or away. Contrary to a lot of posters, I’d thought he walked in on Xana eating in the kitchen (there was take out trash in the kitchen in an early leaked photo) and that she and Ethan were accidental first 2 targets. Now convinced y’all are right that he went up to third floor first. Then came down and heard Xana tell Ethan someone was there. Fact that he rushed out of there without (probably) even noticing Dylan/ looking towards her door is even more evidence IMO that he wasn’t intending a mass murder and was rushed/frantic. He scurried out of there, he didn’t go searching for more victims even though he would have known how many lived in the house. He may have picked Maddie as his target because he was infatuated with her and she wasn’t interested and she seemed a vulnerable target because of her size. I remember comments early on about an incident where a creepy guy was following the girls in a bar and was asked to stop/ kicked out of said bar. Consistent with reports of BK’s reported behavior with women in the past. BK told his friend that he could get any girl he wants. No chance he actually believed that. But believed he was deserving of it. Incel garbage. Not mastermind. Not smart. Not a careful planner. Not even remotely. Not even a part of his research, although he may have justified it to himself that way at times while he was stalking her. I think we’re analyzing too hard and giving him too much credit. At the core, I think he was enraged that this beautiful girl had no interest in him although he believes himself to be the ultimate catch. Brought up bad feelings about the other times he’d been accused of being a creep, like at the brewery in PA. I believe more and more that Maddie was his intended target.

Additionally: for me, if I were Xana I wouldn’t want to open the door at 4am for the DoorDash driver. For three reasons- safety being a woman alone at night, embarrassment that I’m ordering food at 4am (no shame to her- I did this regularly in college- but never felt proud of it), and because if you’re a college student ordering food at 4am you might not be tipping well so adding to the shame factor. I think that the GrubHub timeline is not exact because it was dropped at the front door (first floor) some time around 4am and before BK arrived and that’s it’s very possible that by crazy coincidence Xana was downstairs getting her food as BK was entering on second floor, both unaware of the other. Xana hears commotion and a man’s voice upstairs and runs to her room to warn Ethan as BK comes down the stairs, tries to fight him off, is mortally wounded but still alive and crying/whimpering, Ethan starts to wake up so BK steps over her to eliminate Ethan as a more physically able opponent and then returns to Xana and says “I’m going to help” meaning put her out of her misery (I apologize so much for that phrasing). That last note does lead me to believe that he has experience killing animals, as this is pretty common attitude towards suffering animals. Dylan cracks the door, it’s dark and he’s full of adrenaline so he doesn’t see her at the other end of the hallway, he runs out of the sliding door, thud on neighbor’s video is sliding door closing. I just don’t believe the neighbors camera could hear a body hit the floor inside the neighbors house. I live in a townhome essentially made of papier-mâché (low quality 80s construction) and my camera has never picked up sounds from my neighbors. I think he came back in the morning hoping that the cops had arrived and he could witness the commotion as he prepared for his rise to anonymous infamy, and was surprised to find it was quiet. Makes me think of Stephen McDaniel trying too hard to play the part of an innocent neighbor: A Man Was Interviewed On TV About A Murder – And It Turns Out He Did It [VIDEO]

Then again, other times I think that the conclusions I’ve drawn above are all wrong.

Anyone else feel creepy and gross speculating on motive and BK’s feelings when that’s a subject he took strong interest in?

Hoping for a merciless judge and jury, and interested to see what comes out in the trial. I predict they’ll find creepy stalker photos taken from outside of the house on his computer. Maybe that’s just my brain desperately hoping for more indisputable evidence of guilt.
Agree with this assessment! Thud could have been a car door slamming even. In a rush, doubtful he thought to close it quietly. And any dog in the area could have barked at that.

here's the type of camera on the actual home

Many threads ago, someone gave the name of that camera and it's a well known (to many) brand that is considered high quality and I believe it does have audio. I meant to write it down.

Another interesting part of the camera discussion is that clearly some of the neighbors wanted the added security of cameras. I know that some college students often do *not* want them, as they do not want video of some of their misadventures, should LE ever ask to see footage (which of course, is exactly what has happened in this neighborhood due to this terrible crime).

I see this differently. I get the sense that it was the opposite of angry or hateful; that it was more clinical/cold/sterile—an exercise in something, mission-focused (I’m sure there’s a better way to say it but I’m still half asleep lol). I think his calculus is different from most people’s; anger as a root cause makes sense to most of us because we’re familiar with and influenced by our emotions. I’m not sure it works that way for him. I think he tries to find emotions, or to approximate them, but I don’t get the sense that they drive his behavior. JMO of course.
While I respect your point of view and very much appreciate it, I think people forget what we've been told about BK by his various high school classmates. He had many emotions, anger being a prominent one. Those feelings don't just evaporate. He was bullied by boys and girls too. His reasons for planning (planning seems to have occurred) and then carrying out murder must certainly have more root motive than just being a hunter of prey in the normal sense. Humans very generally do not hunt humans for food as our animal predators do, without anger. Humans who hunt humans are not as singularly motivated to kill as animals are. They have more reasons that motivate them to kill. Most of those, I would say, have malice aforethought. AJMO

I figured that too, but I thought they would have to prove that the dna from the trash came from BK's dad. Or is that necessary given that the dna result would be the proof in itself? I don't know how that works.

Result is proof in and of itself. It is 99.9998% (or more) the case that Mr K is BK's dad.

Now they have BK's own DNA (dad was used as probable cause) and that is a perfect match.

Frankly, just the Y chromosome analysis, by itself, would have been enough to satisfy many people - but since apparently the sheath gave them a full profile, they could be even more confident.

It's interesting how hard LE worked to keep BK from realizing they were onto him, though. That, combined with the sealing of the warrant results from his apt make me think he truly thought he was going to get to PA, get rid of the car, and then go back to school. So he didn't wipe his computer.

People started writing about the Kennedy assassination almost immediately and everyone rushed to publication with their efforts. Started a small industry, really.

The crucial piece of this book sale is that whoever the author may be, they need access to BK or the book is just going to rehash the public record. Whether any of the families will talk to someone who is also interviewing/getting close to BK, I don't know (I wouldn't).

My mind went some place dark. Is there something so awful in what they found at his apartment that they fear public outrage? A need for higher security to protect BK? Possible mob action?

Could be a need to protect the families while they are still in the earlier stages of grieving, but somehow, that doesn't seem quite like the reason.

If what they found in his apartment was so damning (things on his computer?), then perhaps they are trying to protect their prisoner?
The warrant would only be to procure items that might lead to the results though.
But the list of objects seized that they must leave could contain some potentially damning evidence, like trophies, for example.
like incendiary devices, like something that would point undisputably to terrorism, past or planned attacks..
There is NO evidence of this at the moment but it's within the realms of possibility that could lead to ongoing public safety concerns if known.
Just speculating here.

It is so easy to stalk someone online, even for a regular person. You can learn their names just by listening how other people call them in public. Then you go to IG, search any name with U of Idaho tag or stuff like that, it shows the girls photo, you follow them and their friends. You have a sense of their schedule like how late they sleep by when they interact with other people in IG, such as liking a picture, make a comments, in other words, when they are awake. you can even like their pictures, the girl will send you a heart or thank you message in return, now you know when they are active. You go to LinkedIn to find their major, their high school. Or just google people finder and immediately their addresses, phone numbers, even political party if you registered before will show up. If their sisters, parents, cousins are active online, you even know about the victims' family, their home address, when they bought the house, how much they bought it. BK may entered the house before to know the room plan, he might, but he doesn't have to, as the room photos are usually online for students to see and rent.
Do you think he listens in on the police scanner? The girls had several noise complaints, IMO...

This statement (article link below): "Premature public disclosure of the details of this law enforcement investigation will create serious and imminent threat to effective law enforcement and could result in the premature end of this investigation which could create a threat to public safety."
<snipped for focus>

Wonder what has to be the case for LE to state that public disclosure could result in premature end of the investigation?

Do they think that BK could be released on bond or otherwise if the details were released at this point in the case? What else might they mean by saying this?

What would end the investigation at this point?

I assume if it is exculpatory informaton, they would have to release it to the defendant's attorney, event at this early stage of the case?

BBM

@AlisRedHat Evidently, Brian Entin reported that he asked if anyone else was arrested:

and then later, the extradition attorney LeBar said BK denied/didn't recall ever saying it. ( I guess BK was lying to LeBar)

And this is why I find it important and interesting to know the facts of what BK did choose to do as he prepared for this crime. He knew the capabilities of that knife, IMO.

I'd appreciate your opinion (and opinions of others who have trained with knives or used a similar knife) about what type of gloves would allow best use of the knife (no slipping, etc) while keeping fingerprints etc. off of it. Would a person be able to use heavy gloves, is what I'm trying to ask.

Because my winters are harsh, I have a tendency to wear a lined leather glove with a cotton glove inside which is fairly bulky. The idea is that at -40, if something gets wet, I still have something to protect my hands from freezing. I can't think of a time when I have soaked my heavy gloves in blood but I manage to get them wet fairly often and they stretch like crazy. You lose the nice fit, the top gets wider and I find as soon as that happens, it's time to come up with a new plan because everything starts coming inside the glove at the wrist. I'm uncertain if a blood works the same as cold water but I would assume that a wet leather glove w

If he planned on taking his knife with him, he may not have worried too much about fingerprints at the time but that would only be answered if LE locates the weapon.

Students at University of Idaho in Moscow return to class tomorrow after winter break. There is a sense of relief on campus that an arrest was made. Some students who planned to take online classes have now chosen to return to campus.

MOO, really glad that students may feel some kind of relief and are able to return to their plans, further their studies and continue on with their lives.

The biggest questions I have about Kohberger are of the chicken and egg variety. Did he choose to devote his life to the field of criminology because he had a desire to kill? Was he hoping to learn how to beat the system and/or avoid being caught? Or did he choose to study criminology because the subject matter fascinated him? Did he become so obsessed with the need to know what drives people to kill and/or what it feels like to take a life that he decided to take matters into his own hands?

It reminds me of this book I once read called The Last Victim by Jason Moss. As a freshman in college, Moss came up with an unconventional idea for a course research project. The author was fascinated by the motivations of serial killers and dreamed of joining the FBI someday, so he devised a plan to lure notorious serial killers into communicating with him and even forged a full-blown relationship with several.

Before his initial communication with each serial killer, he meticulously researched what interested that killer the most and then cast himself in the role of disciple, admirer, businessman, surrogate, or potential victim. He thought the FBI would certainly be impressed if he convinced these infamous serial killers to buy into his false personas. In a few instances, he won the killer's trust and uncovered secrets. In the case of John Wayne Gacy, he experienced firsthand what it’s like to be stalked, seduced, manipulated, and trapped by a deranged murderer who’d taken the lives of more than thirty young boys.

Armed with recorded phone conversations and the perverted writings of multiple killers, Moss convinced his psychology professor to help him write a book about the experience. The killers he corresponded with include Elmer Wayne Henley, Richard Ramirez, Henry Lee Lucas, Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson, and John Wayne Gacy. He developed the strongest relationship with Gacy and even flew to Illinois to visit him in prison a few weeks before his scheduled execution date. It was during this visit when Moss finally realizes it was he who was being played. He was being controlled and manipulated by Gacy, not the other way around. Hence, the title of his book – The Last Victim.

Sadly, his research project had a deeply profound effect on his mental health. He struggled with depression for years before he ultimately killed himself in 2006 at the age of 31.

It reminds me of that Nietzsche quote – “Whoever battles monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster himself. And when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you.”

ETA: If this post sounds like it was copy and pasted from a book synopsis, I apologize. It's definitely not; I wrote this using my own words. I have a book blog (about guilty pleasure romance novels, not true crime), so my writing style when talking about a book is an occupational hobby hazard. :D

I hate that his work ended in his self-destruction, so very sad. Thank you for sharing. I think I'll get a copy of his book. It sounds intriguing.

My phone constantly shows me available networks as I drive, but of course I can't join them without a password. It's still pinging and getting the name of all my neighbors' routers as I drive through my neighborhood. If I start streaming from cellular, it stops alerting me about all those routers but may still ping them, I don't know.

No, it only means that your phone was close enough, as you walked down the street, to find those routers. I have one neighbor whose router pops up when I'm a block away, the others I have to be closer. I can sort of tell a little bit about which house goes with which router name (very little) because some of the routers have clearly been named by an age group or a language group that gives those hints. One neighbor uses a version of his car license plate number and another makes a reference to her dog's name, etc. There's also someone who changes the name on their router frequently and I'm pretty sure I know who he is (IT guy I used to work with, signal is strongest when I walk by his house).

So your phone reaches out to everyone's router if you have that option selected (mine is an iPhone, it has "automatically attempt to connect to available networks" as an option. The sandwich shop nearby is unlocked, so I could in theory join it if I had their password from a one time purchase.
Gotcha. Thanks! I assumed that's what it meant. Never heard it called touching before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prosoham