ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless they didn't know they were interacting with him. There is a lot of the catfishing type of thing happening on social media, so I've been told.
If on the Internet, I agree but I think the previous poster was referring to a possible physical incident at the frat house. 100% believe if there had been a physical encounter with BK by one of the victims they would have shared that with friends at the time - you wouldn't believe what this guy just did, etc. they wouldn’t necessarily even have to know his name, As soon as his arrest was made friends would have been talking about it.

I think the issue I am having is that yes they have DNA on the sheath but that wasn’t the object that killed the victims. So whilst they can link him to the crime scene, I think they need something more solid - i.e the knife with BK’s DNA on. That would be game set match. IMO.
I don't think prosecutors "need something more solid - i.e. the knife with BK's DNA on it" to convict him of the crimes. There will be (and already is) other evidence, circumstantial as it may be, that further builds the case against BK. And there are plenty of criminals rightly convicted without prosecutors ever producing the murder weapon. It's unrealistic for a jury to only find a person guilty, if a murder weapon is produced.

Not sure she violated HIPAA Rules. Unknown medical practice, no names from office mentioned, no medical condition mentioned. HIPAA involves disclosing a person's MEDICAL INFORMATION and BK's medical information wasn't disclosed nor was the type of medical practice he went to. He simply went to a routine Dr. apt and was friendly.

"Kohberger attended a routine medical appointment near his apartment."

"A receptionist at the office, who asked Insider not to name her or the business because discussing the interaction might VIOLATE MEDICAL PRIVACY LAWS, told Insider that Kohberger was especially friendly at his appointment, prompting the staff to take notice."

Receptionist is guilty of blabbing to the media, not a trustworthy thing to do, but I doubt she is guilty of violating HIPAA.
But the reporter who spoke with her presumably knows what the medical office is, even if it is not named in the article. MOO

Self defense would get shot down immediately since he is also charged with burglary. He broke into a home.
But they said it appeared there wasn’t a break in. I believe that was early police statement. The affidavit doesn’t mention it.

On another note, While none is blaming the survivors, they could say that was enough time for someone else to enter the house. Have we seen any official documents putting time of death at 4am? We have missing info needed to really think this through.

Also could he have already been in house. Girls upstairs knew him?

But they said it appeared there wasn’t a break in. I believe that was early police statement. The affidavit doesn’t mention it.

On another note, While none is blaming the survivors, they could say that was enough time for someone else to enter the house. Have we seen any official documents putting time of death at 4am? We have missing info needed to really think this through.

He arrived at 4:04am according to security video.

Entering a house without permission is burglary. Door locked or not.

Out of curiosity I'd be interested to know. From what you say re CA, my economic rationael guess is that he only had one plate because why would the State of PA issue 2 tags with the costs that implies for the State when the law says you only need to have the back plate exhibited?. Just speculating. I'm not going to research this right now. I'm not even in the US and someone here from PA could answer this easily. Shame the PCA doesn't make it clear!
Former Pennsylvania Resident:

Pennsylvania will issue a single plate for most personal vehicles. A long time ago two plates were issued however during World War Two they issued single plates as a way to conserve metal. After World War Two they went back to two plates but then went back to single plates during the Korean War and have stayed single plates since that time.

Some vehicles in Pennsylania do require two plates such as commerical, state owned, media and a few other uncommon situations but most vehicles and in particular a Hyundia Elanta would only get a single plate.

I don't think prosecutors "need something more solid - i.e. the knife with BK's DNA on it" to convict him of the crimes. There will be (and already is) other evidence, circumstantial as it may be, that further builds the case against BK. And there are plenty of criminals rightly convicted without prosecutors ever producing the murder weapon. It's unrealistic for a jury to only find a person guilty, if a murder weapon is produced.
Yes I agree to a certain extent and I believe they probably have a lot more evidence that they are keeping close to their chest. But I think the defence will be able to come up with alternative reasons for DNA being on the sheath, BK being in the area (does he have friends nearby - they would need to confirm obviously), did he frequent Moscow city centre often and maybe that would be his route back home of an evening. I’m not saying he is innocent but I still think there needs to be a lot more on the prosecution side (which there no doubt is). IMO.

He didn't have to break in for it to have been burglary. Just entering the house without permission could (and evidently did) land him that charge.

It is actually a HIPAA violation to discuss both his attendance and his demeanour.
Actually that is not quite true. HIPAA has nothing to do with a patients demeanour, it is about their medical record. Nothing wrong with office staff stating if a patient's demeanour was pleasant or unpleasant, etc. I have a degree in HIM and worked at a hospital.

Well as the items are being retained by the defense, it looks to me as though his defense are going to be running an entire new investigation... I think it's absurd but the only chance they have and it will necessitate discrediting the victims, all of them, one by one.
That might take the line of they were friends with/slept with/entertained bad people who are more likely to have killed them than our client..
I surely hope that doesn't happen. I feel confident there is a LOT more physical evidence to be revealed. And I'm very hopeful it's going to close the barn door on BK. They're going to have to deal with his DNA on an item found on their deathbed, inches from one of the bodies. I don't see how they can overcome that, unless they could establish him as a regular visitor to the house.

If they can't put him in the friend zone of the inhabitants, I would think their only options would be claiming he was framed (and that seems like it would be a total flameout) or a "rush to judgment" theory. With rush to judgment, they can at least leave the surviving victims blameless, and try to claim the police were under so much pressure they overlooked other viable suspects. But then we're right back to the fact that they were stabbed to death and his DNA is on the knife sheath.

Obviously, a defense attorney's job is advocating for their clients' best interests. But does that always mean going for a not guilty verdict? What do we know about how his attorney operates? She has a track record, right?

Thank you. I have been looking all over the place for the reference of what LaBar said about the pings. I thought that I remembered him having a problem with the ping data, but then I couldn't re-find what he said.

Essentially, he says that it is ping data and not GPS data. Not as accurate.
Which is true, especially if investigators were not able to triangulate the pings. imo

I am also interested (due to reasonable doubt) in that one record of ping data from his phone that is not attributed to him being in Moscow (from the PCA).
"Investigators found that the 8458 Phone did connect to a cell phone tower that provides service to Moscow on November l4,2022, but investigators do not believe the 8458 Phone was in Moscow on that date."
I wonder why they even put that comment in the PCA if it isn't important somehow. It seems like an "oh and by the way". JMO

Exactly! And if I'm remembering correctly, I believe Bill O'Reilly tried to file complaints against the lawyers who defended the murderer of Polly Klaas. I believe that was the case where it happened. I remember him claiming the lawyers made accusations against the victim's Dad after they already knew their client killed the child and where her body was. That doesn't mean that his lawyer will do something like that. She seems to have a fine reputation. But there are reprehensible people in all walks of life.
agree----I think anything goes in a court of law, unfortunately a defense attorney can just about say anything possible to get their client acquitted--- Bill O'Reilly would not have been successful with any complaint against that defense attorney for that reason.

He entered a home illegally. Either way, it is considered burglary...he entered a building with intent to commit a crime.

Ethan Chapin's mother posted a touching tribute to her son on Facebook on Wednesday.

Stacy Chapin described her son as loyal, carefree and "just the best person you could ever meet" in a post on Facebook.

She also said that two vehicles, Ethan's belongings and a set of golf clubs were "now frozen with the defense."

"Nothing has changed" following the arrest of a suspect, she added. "We spend no time being angry. That would be energy not well spent and it still wouldn't change the outcome. We have to look ahead.

They said no forced entry. One would assume one can still be charged with a crime, say in a robbery or burglary, even if one is able to just walk in.

It was ill-advised for them to give any information. IMO, health information is not limited to the physical. What the receptionists allegedly said could possibly involve BK's mental health. Sure, HIPAA has plenty of legalese but it is also applied as just basic human decency to keep what happens in a physician's office private for patients. JMO and
Actually that is not quite true. HIPAA has nothing to do with a patients demeanour, it is about their medical record. Nothing wrong with office staff stating if a patient's demeanour was pleasant or unpleasant, etc. I have a degree in HIM and worked at a hospital.
But disclosing a patients name and the fact that they are a patient is protected. And disclosure to a newspaper, unlike calling out a persona nane for the purpose of summoning them in a waiting room, is not a permissible use under HIPPA.

agree----I think anything goes in a court of law, unfortunately a defense attorney can just about say anything possible to get their client acquitted--- Bill O'Reilly would not have been successful with any complaint against that defense attorney for that reason.
I guess I'm confused, are they allowed to say untrue things? I would have thought in court you have to be honest. Per pervious comments- I'm niave to court room procedure- but learning! JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500