ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 63

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt very much if he will be able to get any of those drugs behind bars!

It will be doubtful that he'll get much more than a strong otc pain med while in county unless Idaho is extremely different than Ky. Especially since he claims to be on no meds at the current time. He claims to be drug-free, they can see from his blood and urine if he is, in fact, drug-free or not. A former H abuser is not the same as an active one. No evidence he's been in withdrawal, thus far. If you've never witnessed H withdrawal, I can tell you, it ain't pretty.

If convicted, the State is where he will be evaluated and put on any meds he may require. Meeting the requirement for meds is not just a go-see-the-doctor request (at least not in my experiences with the juvenile, county, state, and federal prison system, although the federal prison system does try a bit harder to maintain prisoner's health, in my personal views/experience).

Maintaining a prisoner's mental health and physical health is not just for the benefit of the prisoner, it is for the benefit of the smooth running of the prison system as a whole. Can you imagine the chaos, if all of the folks who were definitely in need of meds, were denied them? There could be serious danger to the prison staff, the guards, the visitors, and the inmates who are non-violent. Even with that being said, it is still not just as easy as stating, my Dr. X, prescribed my Y, Z, and A, and the prison will prescribe it to you. Life-saving meds and treatments? Yes, for the most part. Always? Iffy. Prisons are typically tight-fisted with their monies.

As far as I understand the law on confidentiality it goes something like this: it emerged from the laws in Church where the confessor could divulge anything to the priest and this would never be repeated.

Even today, a priest would not divulge the confession of a mass murderer, even if the consequences were dreadful. Pastors of other persuasions take confidential disclosures very seriously also.

Client/attorney privilege is as strong as that between a confessor and priest.
Medical confidentiality is almost as strong as client/attorney privilege.

The information disclosed by the patient to their doctor belongs to the physician. The physician may decide on non-consensual disclosure (very rarely). Legal advice would first be sought.

Kennedy and Grubb, the famous academic lawyers, say that the fact receptionists, secretaries, porters etc. are (of necessity) privy to some medical information this nonetheless ‘drives a coach and horses’ through the law on medical confidentiality. This is so even if such personnel promise to keep matters confidential. It is much worse when they speak to the press, quoting the physician for good measure.

This receptionist should be given a warning and more training, in my opinion.

The above pertains broadly to the English common law on confidentiality, there may be important differences in the US.

The English legal system would not allow any of this sub-judice speculation on an individual’s guilt or innocence, so the pre-trial disclosure to the press could possibly be seen as more ominous, of course.

MOO

Nice to hear all of the school folks weighing in on the bullying matter. I'm a former school counselor as well as therapist in community mental health. I've had to read all of the FBI and CIA and other studies over the years about things like mass school violence events and help implement strategies to prevent them. Two of the most common motives for these events include grievances against other students for things like bullying and interest in violence. Of course there are others, but these come up time and again. So I have an interest in reducing bullying not just because I'm an empathetic person and don't like to see kids suffer but because we know there are correlations between bullying and adverse outcomes (personal, like suicide; interpersonal, like dating violence; and school-wide).

When dealing with a bullying situation, you really have to address what is going on with the target as well as the instigators. And ideally, you work with bystanders too. I'd be concerned about any odd, chubby kid lacking in social skills who gets bullied. And if I knew that kid had other risk factors, like maybe an IEP, difficult home life, mental health issues, I'd hoist my red flag full staff. On the target's end, I'd work on social skills, reading cues, matching with kind peers, etc. With the instigators, my attention would be on education, empathy, and assertiveness without meanness. Training and rewarding bystanders to intervene and/or report is also essential. This might mean a large group intervention in a classroom, in the caf or on a bus. These are skills, and they can be taught and learned, but they're not easy to master...adults have a hard time with them, let alone kids.

All ime, imo.

Last edited:
You are 100% correct. If I had a nickel for every time my neck looked just like that after shaving, I'd be rich. Unless you are a guy with wirey, course whiskers, you can't imagine how much trauma shaving places on tender neck skin. And, yes, it is just as painful as it looks.
I would also suggest that they don’t offer luxury 5 blade razors in jail.

Why does DM have to supply address/telephone number etc - can't all liasons be through legal channels and not directly between DM and BK's representatives. Is this actually a mandate that she has to follow??? It seems really a unsafe proceedure involving witnesses etc. MOO
Didn't we see a protective order for her before it all got taken down? JMHO

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this initial "Request for Discovery" doc standard in covering all bases for discovery?

Referencing bullet point 2, "Statements of co-defendant," LE said they believe he acted alone.
Yes, I believe so. I compared it with a RfD from a different murder case in a different state (also with someone who acted alone), and it hits all the same bullet points, though worded a little differently.

Why does DM have to supply address/telephone number etc - can't all liasons be through legal channels and not directly between DM and BK's representatives. Is this actually a mandate that she has to follow??? It seems really an unsafe proceedure involving witnesses etc. MOO
IMO DM has an attorney, everything will go through them. BK will have zero access to her personal information. I hope.

IMHO
The anecdote above shows that Bryan did not respect boundaries. Being awkward isn't an excuse for pursuing someone "relentlessly" after being told "no".
This girl Kim is not responsible for how Bryan "feels". She did not "break his heart". How Bryan copes with his emotions is his own responsibility, no matter how upset he gets at the world. His "impulse control" is his own responsibility.

I also saw an account that Bryan was bullied. This is certainly possible, but I haven't seen a source that expounds upon that. Being rejected by Kim was not a bullying event in itself, IMHO.
I personally think she's "fluffed" her story a bit. I can't even remember 95% of 6th grade, except that it was very awkward and I developed serious test-taking anxiety about that time. However, I was never cruel to anyone, so, nothing there to remember. I was treated cruelly a few times but that's on them, not me. I was raised to not be unkind to others or say unkind things.

I apologize if this has been posted. Screenshot (from the police bodycam when they came to speak with Kaylee about the noise complaint) of the side corner of the house where people thought drips of blood may have been. This was about 3 mos earlier…

Looks pretty standard to me. Shame that there are enough cops to look into these kids partying rather than into their everyday safety.

This happens across the country and I'm not putting Moscow cops on blast. Just pointing out a really sad dynamic that goes on everywhere. READ: I am not blaming the cops, just making a statement that I know a lot of us know to be true. It's tough for cops, I know. But the protect and serve idiom does not always actually work.

Sorry, JMO and my longtime experience. The cops did a great job solving this murder.

I agree. I believe it is something they are born with—something missing? A throwback to hunter gatherer days? I really have no idea but there’s an answer somewhere. There isn’t the “normal” safety trigger in their brain that says “stop—this isn’t acceptable behavior.” JMO. Btw, I don’t think the community is any more, or any less, safe than it was before.
If we're talking about sociopaths, if I had any way of doing it (which I don't, having taken a different path in life) I'd love to do research and see if they have some sort of deficiency that prevents them from dreaming, or affects their ability to associate to the extent that when they dream they dream, not in allegories and symbols, but in a straightforward way. I believe that dreams are a means whereby we remove inhibited impulses from our nervous systems, which is essentially what Freud is getting at when he postulates them as wish-fulfillment. A person so afflicted might tend to obsess over his inhibited impulses and desires, to the end that the only way he can rid himself of them is to physically act them out. All just my opinion, of course.

Maybe it's not obvious but you can talk to LE or the FBI without also selling your story to the Daily Mail. It's not like a legal obligation that the FBI tells you, well, thank you for the interview, be sure to collect your $250 from the Daily Mail reporter on the way out. Thank you for your service.
I used to do research on the Zodiac Killer, and I can't tell you how many times I was approached by people telling me they had some astounding evidence, or solved his mysterious ciphers. My response was always the same, namely, why are you telling me this? Why don't you go to the police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilyminx