ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 63

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm googling. I know that's the direction at my office. I assumed it was a true violation bc it just makes sense.

So I could call an OB doc and say, "is so and so your patient?" and they would be able to confirm that they are? So now I know this person is expecting or TTC or has something wrong with their reproductive system?

If it's not a violation, it most definitely should be but I'll retract my initial statement unless I find proof otherwise.

How funny would that be to be accused of being pregnant for going to my primary doctor, who is also an OB/GYN!!
And also my mother who is 85!

Do doctor’s offices confirm, over the phone, to a stranger, that a patient has an appt? NO
I cannot get any of my daughter’s med info from anyone but her- she is 18. HIPPAA
In some states a minor can go to an ob/gyn without parental knowledge.

US GOV HIPPAA

JMO

How funny would that be to be accused of being pregnant for going to my primary doctor, who is also an OB/GYN!!
And also my mother who is 85!
Do doctor’s office confirm that a patient goes to that doctor over the phone, to strangers? NO
I cannot all my daughter’s doctor and find out anything- she is 18. HIPPAA

US GOV HIPPAA

JMO
Yes I clearly shouldn't have chosen an OB for my example bc now people are getting hung up on that when my point was telling people someone was a patient at your practice can give away potential medical conditions they may have.

I forgot we are a bunch of overthinkers. I regret commenting to begin with ;)

Yes I clearly shouldn't have chosen an OB for my example bc now people are getting hung up on that when my point was telling people someone was a patient at your practice can give away potential medical conditions they may have.

I forgot we are a bunch of overthinkers. I regret commenting to begin with ;)

I don’t think it is the speciality choice, I think the question and speculation is surprising. Everyone signs forms at each doctor visit- specifying who can get our med info. The assumption is No one but us, unless we list people on a form.

No doctor will give info about a patient to anyone without patient permission.
A doctor’s practice could be shut down For such a HIPAA violation.

Would staff of a doctor risk giving info over the phone in a high profile case? No way, they would lose their job and the practice could get shut down.

JMO

I have a question related to getting inside his head as to why did this happen / what was he thinking.

Was he not worried at all that someone in the house might have a gun for self defense?
Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight, etc.

The knife is such a strange element of choice - very personal and also very risky in so many ways.

Thoughts?
Sorry if someone else suggested this - trying to catch up! Perhaps student/sorority housing doesn't allow firearms?

I don’t think it is the speciality choice, I think the question and speculation is surprising. Everyone signs forms at each doctor visit- specifying who can get our med info. The assumption is No one but us, unless we list people on a form.

No doctor will give info about a patient to anyone without patient permission.
A doctor’s practice could be shut down For such a HIPAA violation.

Would staff of a doctor risk giving info over the phone in a high profile case? No way, they would lose their job and the practice could get shut down.

JMO
Yes, yes, I know. I work in healthcare.

I was replying to someone who said that I was wrong when I initially said it was a HIPAA violation.

<modsnip - discussing moderation>

Last edited by a moderator:
We have only seen such short glimpses of BK so I don't have a good read on him. IIRC, Idaho does not have a "not guilty by reason of insanity" option. But even so, he could try to sway the jury. All JMO.
He comes across to me as the type of guy who would push to take the stand in his own defense. Or even be his own attorney ala Bundy. Here's hoping. We know how well that hubris worked out for Bundy.

He comes across to me as the type of guy who would push to take the stand in his own defense. Or even be his own attorney ala Bundy. Here's hoping. We know how well that hubris worked out for Bundy.
I might have thought this earlier on, but after seeing him in court yesterday, my hope is that he's accepting some instruction from his attorney. He looked to me like maybe he's absorbed better what his new reality is, imo. I'm sure his family will plead with him to listen to his attorney, as well. IDK. I don't think he's crazy, and I can't speculate on his internal vision of himself, but unlike someone like Bundy or OJ, I just don't see this guy projecting so much confidence in court. I could be, and often am, wrong.

If there is a bruise on BK's neck, I believe LE should explain it. Or maybe it isn't a contradiction for a razor to be so sharp it easily cuts the skin but also dull enough to cause razor burn. BK is a high profile inmate, and it doesn't seem outlandish for people to notice cuts, bruises and such when he showed up in court. (No matter what jail he's in.) Just my opinion.

IMO, the alleged bruise area is stubble he missed while shaving, making that area appear darker.

Receptionist should be fired and never work in healthcare again. JMO. HIPAA laws are no-joke and speaking as a doctor, she broke it. If a doctor or nurse did what she did, they'd be in danger of permanently losing their license.
Thank you! I don’t know why a few people continue arguing this point. It’s pretty cut and dry. The “directory” scope is extremely narrow and I think in a lawsuit, this would not meet its intent which is to inform family/friends of current condition of a named patient. Said patients if alert can also demand privacy and not allow that disclosure

Four kind, beautiful, intelligent souls departed way before their time. From the outside looking in, they all seemed so perfect. The crime itself feels like a best-selling Netflix true crime series (think Making a Murderer) and we’re not even close to learning all the details. IMO, this group was targeted because BK knew this would garner the attention he desired, like TB who targeted a sorority or BTK who toyed with LE. So grateful for the advancements in forensics that helped catch BK before he had the chance to kill a second time.

MOO

I have a question related to getting inside his head as to why did this happen / what was he thinking.

Was he not worried at all that someone in the house might have a gun for self defense?
Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight, etc.

The knife is such a strange element of choice - very personal and also very risky in so many ways.

Thoughts?
<mod snip - No link>

As far as the accused's potential thinking, e could have chosen the highly unusual silent ambush of sleeping persons advantage of using a knife precisely because it was one of the rare situations where self defense with a firearm, or anything, was less likely to be successful.

And for all we know it was precisely the worry that the potentially one or more of the six additional persons he might come upon in that those would be armed with a firearm, and now were roused, and that is why he left as soon as possible.

Why do I say potentially six? Because, no matter what he initially expected, he kept coming upon two people in each room.

My thoughts are that a sharp strong knife can be a quiet, quick and very intimate murder weapon choice for a person who may seem fascinated with "how it feels when you are committing a serious crime".. And, as such a murderer, plunging it into sleeping people gives the intimacy with greatly reduced personal risk.

MOO
<modsnip - No link to statistics>
He had a knife designed to kill people and due to its design of having a very good handguard/hilt -- to do so without harming his hands.

<modsnip>

I haven't seen a co-defendant request as a boilerplate discovery request before - but I don't practice criminal law.

My intrigue comes from the combination of him asking if someone else was arrested and then a specific request for co-defendant info when we know there isn't a co-defendant. Yes, it could just be throwing everything into the request at once. Just is interesting to me when the two are looked at together. MOO is that he's trying to create reasonable doubt in the media by alluding to the fact that there is someone else involved.
Do you think him asking if someone else was arrested, this is just me theorizing, he might have thought the DD driver was there 'just' before he entered the house and there would definitely be evidence that the driver was there and BK saw him and assumed he'd be the likely suspect? MOO

someone pls clarify, I am wondering if the court date set for late June is the actual trial or just the prelim hearing where he makes his plea (guilty /not G) and the judge decides whether a trial is required then. He preferred to wait months rather than do this in 14 days , what could that mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88