ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 65

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PCA says BK was spotted on the cameras at Albertsons around 1 am the night/morning of the murders, and that he walked through the store and purchased unknown items.

By watching on survelliance cameras, I'm surprised they can't figure out -- with a good deal of certainty -- just what he bought in the store that night.
The Albertsons was just before 1pm on the same day as the murders - so after it happened, not before

They said his car was well cleaned so I wonder if he was purchasing cleaning supplies

Whether or not he recognized the Jeep as Ethan's, he had to have expected at least 4-5 people in the house just based on the number of cars parked there.

Even knowing that a car on site doesn't necessarily mean the driver is on site, he certainly couldn't assume only 1-2 people in the house.

Which is why him entering the house with the intent to rape only, doesn't make sense to me -- the chances of the victim calling for help would be too high IMO.

I think he expected at least a few people and was planning to kill. Maybe he thought he could be quiet enough to not encounter others, but I think he was prepared to do just what he did, kill multiple people.

Also, re the Pi Phi party KG was returning for -- wouldn't we expect that party to be held at the Pi Phi sorority house? Not at King Rd. as it seems some folks are speculating.

I know at least two housemates were Pi Phi members, but I think a party at the house would have been thought of by KG as "a party at the house" and not "a Pi Phi party."

All MOO

His entry has me quite confused. He was obviously there for a reason but I would have thought that given the number of times he had close enough to watch the residence, he would have known how many people lived there and how erratic their schedules were.

I would have expected him to take time to ensure everything was in order and there were no surprises. I’m grateful two roommates survived but even leaving potential witnesses has me confused.

I agree! I go to the next town way more than that, at least twice a week for shopping, sometimes more...but not late night and early morning hours.

Late evening hours and early morning hours without actual times could mean anywhere from 10-6. And because we don't know all the dates, some of those twelve might be clustered toward Nov.

Could he have been visiting someone in the apartments next to or across the street from the house? Would that have clocked his phone near the house? Maybe even touched the wifi? JMO
Just my opinion, he was checking the house on King Road where the girls lived, looking for the right moment.
He didn't seem to be a very social person, since many of the people who knew him stated he kept to himself.

The two are not inconsistent. I believe all four received specific life-ending injuries, and I believe at least three of them will have very similar fatal injuries (perhaps all of them). It's possible that one of them (Kaylee) received more injuries in addition to the ones mentioned by her father.

There was no recovering from the organ damage done by the murderer, IMO. And they were dead fairly quickly. But it was not instantaneous, unless the existing information from the Latah County Coroner is in error. Fast, but not instant.

IMO. It's interesting to me that from what we know, the injuries were all within the strike zone permitted in boxing.

Note that some awareness of where organs are placed is needed.

The liver is not off limits and every good boxer knows to protect that area of the body, and boxing injuries to the liver are no joke. Apparently, the world of MMA knows about liver punches as well.

But the neck/back of the head area is off limits.
I think he went for the vital organs, heart, neck areas and I believe all four of those poor kids were dead as he walked out the sliding back door.

JMO

The PCA says BK was spotted on the cameras at Albertsons around 1 am the night/morning of the murders, and that he walked through the store and purchased unknown items.

By watching on survelliance cameras, I'm surprised they can't figure out -- with a good deal of certainty -- just what he bought in the store that night.
It was in the afternoon of the 13th (PCA):

“At approximately 12:45 p.m., the 8458 phone then utilized cellular data in the area of the Albertson's grocery store at 400 Bridge Street in Clarkston, Washington. Surveillance footage obtained from the Albertson's showed Kohberger exit the white Elantra, consistent with Suspect Vehicle l, at approximately 12:49 p.m. Interior surveillance cameras showed Kohberger walk through the store, purchase unknown items at checkout and leave at approximately 1:O4 p.m.”

They've probably tracked down his purchases by now.

Ah - well, thank you. I thought the PCA mentioned a starting point, thank you for the correction.

If it's just 12 times between, say, July and November, that's 2-3 times a month. Not very much stalking, if you ask me. Kind of an ordinary thing to do, with the exception of the times of day/night that the PCA says these visits occurred.
I went back to the PCA and on page 17 it just says they received historical records from June 2022, when the account was opened, through December 23rd. It only says his phone was utilizing cellular resources that provide coverage to King Road at least 12 time prior to November 13. No beginning date is provided. "At least 12 times" just jumped out at me. Since we've learned that the PCA provides just enough to be him arrested, I'm starting to think his phone may have been in that area a lot more than 12 times.

Interestingly, the first time he was pulled over (Aug 21) and they got his phone number was on one of the occasions he was at King Road. He was stopped only around 2 minutes after he left that area. The PCA gives the place he was pulled over as being Farm Rd and Pullman HIghway, which is less than 2 miles from the victims' house.

He was pulled over again in October 14, but it doesn't say where. It was only used to point out that he was the only occupant and he still had the PA tags on the car.

Edit: to correct typo

Last edited:
Your last paragraph really has me confused as well. I don’t understand why he would walk by a potential witness and leave her alive. I’m also confused as to how the coroner said the victims all died in their sleep, when it now seems like, from DM’s recollection, they potentially all were awake.

I would want to know the dates and times for each of the 12 times his phone was in the Moscow neighborhood but I think the most significant incidence might be the one that occurred during daytime as that could be when he gained knowledge on the accesses to the house, condition and effectiveness of locks as well as the interior layout. The presumption would be the house was empty at the time which probably makes it a weekday and possibly one where something specific was occurring on the Idaho campus. Entirely speculative but may be related in detail when the search warrant information is publicized.

Your last paragraph really has me confused as well. I don’t understand why he would walk by a potential witness and leave her alive. I’m also confused as to how the coroner said the victims all died in their sleep, when it now seems like, from DM’s recollection, they potentially all were awake.

When the Coroner spoke those words, I do not think DM's information had gotten back to her. Very early stages of investigation. Coroner says herself that she arrived around 4:00-4:30 pm on Sunday and stayed about half an hour. MOO.

At any rate, she walked back the "they were sleeping" thing pretty early:

Which of the roommates was living at the house back in August?

Was BK really sitting outside the house back in August, using the wifi at 1122? Did he hack into their wifi? What else?! It wouldn't surprise me to learn that BK had entered the home before and snuck around. Wonder if LE have gone through BKs devices.

Something else I've been wondering, BK was inside the house for less than 30 minutes the night of the murders. Would the 4 roommates have been deceased by the time he left? It might have only taken him 20 minutes to stab 4 people but that doesn't mean he killed 4 people in 20 minutes. IMO.
Well, my opinion only, I don't think he was hacking into their wifi, I imagine he was checking out the house, happened to just be close enough to pick up their wifi.

If any of them had been left alive, the unharmed roommates would have heard them (since DM had opened her door a few times when she had heard the noise when BK was in the house), but, with wounds as bad as they were, I would say it is doubtful anyone was alive after a knife attack of multiple stab wounds. It can (sadly) only take a matter of a few minutes, or less, to kill someone.

lots of good, interesting comments....

alot of mental illness isn't diagnosed until adulthood....... school is pretty easy for an intelligent person with a mental illness. lots of tests.

but the "real world" isn't like studying and taking tests..... you have to get along with other people. one of the most important IRL skills IMO

i probably know or intimately know of 10-15 people with moderate to serious mental illness issues...... what almost all of them have in common is they are above-average intelligence (not sure about 1 person).... and what all of them have in common is DENIAL and a strong very aversion to being formally diagnosed and to getting meds/counselling to deal with these issues..... paranoia as well. i think they all share that as well.

for a few of them, i think their day-to-day life would instantly improve with meds but zero % chance they would take them, even for 6 weeks to see how it goes............. way off-topic, but i think this is one reason we have so many homeless people. they don't want to take meds (or to follow rules at a homeless shelter or homeless residence)

as per mental illness defense, i think the bar is pretty high on that....... seems like there may be evidence of flight here. and he changed his licence plate

i see people saying BK is pretty dumb criminal.... really?.... seems like Moscow police took a long time to catch him AND they used highly questionable methods (disallowed in some states. and some genealogy companies won't cooperate) to secure their case for arrest.

I recently saw an Ashley Banfield interview with SG wherein he said he asked and was assured nothing could have been done for the deceased even if 911 had been called right away. She was trying to get him to say he was upset by the delay in notifying LE and he wasn't biting.

This isn't proof all four were dead before the intruder departed. For all I know, it was something somebody made up in an attempt to ease the mind of a grieving father, or to deflect potential criticism of the surviving witness.

But that's what SG said on the matter. I wouldn't think somebody in the investigation would actually assume a victim couldn't be saved unless s/he was already dead.
IMO It seems that a few things have been said to attempt to make the parents believe their children didn’t suffer. It was initially stated by the coroner that the victims were all killed in their sleep. Then, SG was told his daughter’s injuries were so brutal she would have died quickly and didn’t suffer.

Can't wait to see BK's online history from the morning after the murders, was the "genius" searching for "murders in Moscow, ID" at 8 am, before heading over to check out the scene. ...would not surprise me, lol
Oh this brings me back to the Savopoulos Mansion Murders/Daron Wint case, which is why I joined WS. I’d love it if he did this.

I agree! I go to the next town way more than that, at least twice a week for shopping, sometimes more...but not late night and early morning hours.

Late evening hours and early morning hours without actual times could mean anywhere from 10-6. And because we don't know all the dates, some of those twelve might be clustered toward Nov.

Could he have been visiting someone in the apartments next to or across the street from the house? Would that have clocked his phone near the house? Maybe even touched the wifi? JMO

Surely that will be his defense? However, it's unlikely he can actually produce a friendly witness to corroborate it, so it may just have to be in his attorney's summation.

OTOH, he can just say it was a good place to park, to walk across Band Field to Greek Row and have some fun. Parties are just getting started at that time of night and then he doesn't need a "friend" to corroborate his presence. The Greek houses do not appear to have cameras (for fairly obvious reasons).

Excellent post!

[snipped by me for focus]

10:34 to 11:35 —what was he doing for an hour?? Was he in his car, on foot? That wasn’t a quick drive by the house. So many questions…
Eating at a nearby food place or bar maybe? I think the only reason they pointed this time out was because it didn't bridge to the following day as maybe some of the others did.

Utilizing the cellular resources providing coverage to the King Road Residence doesn't mean he was anywhere near King Road. How far do those cellular resources go? 2 blocks? Three miles? Half of Moscow? The fact that BK utilized cellular resources providing coverage to the King Road Residence doesn't mean he was near the house, oddly enough unless those resources only provide coverage to that one Residence.

Well, my opinion only, I don't think he was hacking into their wifi, I imagine he was checking out the house, happened to just be close enough to pick up their wifi.

If any of them had been left alive, the unharmed roommates would have heard them (since DM had opened her door a few times when she had heard the noise when BK was in the house), but, with wounds as bad as they were, I would say it is doubtful anyone was alive after a knife attack of multiple stab wounds. It can (sadly) only take a matter of a few minutes, or less, to kill someone.
I’m intrigued how one “picks up” wifi. You would need a password to be on the wifi. Or does this simply mean when the phone picks up the existence of all available close by networks without accessing them? Until now I didn’t know that this could be tracked.

Didn't Kaylees dad make a comment that the house was in need of a new furnace?

When was that interview?

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe this too, but I do not think there was frenzied "continued" stabbing in this case. Just a hunch. He was planning to do this all very very quickly.

It was done in cold hate, not hot passion, IMO. Which is why the injuries described by SG for Kaylee are so specific.

Extreme anger can be combined with hate, IMO. But hate can be cold and calculating, as I believe this crime was.
These words are spot on IMO:

Such perps "have poor mental health, and experience feelings of victimhood, inferiority, and loneliness."
"The murders may have been… an effort to assert some type of dominance."

And these are exactly my thoughts too concerning this tragedy.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members