ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 66

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be that the snap DNA being 'single source' was easier/quicker to analyze? There could well be a lot of other DNA on the sheath but is not single source, so it took longer to analyze. I can't imagine a knife sheath laying on a bed next to someone who is bleeding profusely and not picking up at least some of their DNA. (This is all layman speculation - I don't know anything about DNA evidence).

The snap is the place that any forensic person would test first. I am assuming there is yet more DNA to be found on the sheath. The snap is the one place a person *must* touch in order to use the knife or to put it away again. The upper part of the sheath should have DNA in more than one place, especially as it appears the sheath was not always on a belt but sometimes, perhaps, in a pocket. Moving the knife from the pocket would leave more DNA (on the outside of the sheath).

One always tests the most obvious place first, IMO.

I believe his intent was to murder people in their beds. I also believe he held the knife in the handshake or saber position and used it as it is instructed by military people who are trained to use that knife. IOW, not like the stabber in Psycho, but using body weight and momentum. I believe he likely got on top of the bedding to reach some of the victims and very likely forced the knife through bedding.

We need a knife knowledgeable person to weigh in on whether heavy gloves are consistent with this scenario. Or did he wear surgical gloves, as he apparently did in PA when visiting the grocery store. If he planned to throw away the knife, perhaps he wore no gloves at all.

- As other posters have mentioned, the apartments offered alot of convenience in regards to parking, proximity etc.
I agree and my point was not necessarily to point out that his current living situation in graduate student housing was in any way unusual. I was only reflecting on the difficulty of finding housing in a new city, as another poster had mentioned. I think it is possible he looked at various apartments online, if even just to get a full sense of what was available. Did he come across 1122 King road in his searching? Maybe, but I also agree that he would probably not consider such a large home with that many roommates. Maybe because he was a "loner" as many have speculated, or even just because of his age -- I did not want roommates at 28.

On the other hand, BK did seem very eager to socialize and make friends. Those attempts were abortive with his fellow graduate student cohort, it sounds like, but there is quite a bit of evidence from neighbors and elsewhere that he tried to socialize with people. IMO, I could imagine BK just as easily as an immature figure who began college late and was hungry to have a traditional college experience -- make friends, party, etc. All MOO.

Attorney LaBar in PA mentioned in several interviews that everytime BK would start to talk about anything to do with the Idaho murders that he would stop BK, telling him that he was only representing him with regard to the extradition issue, and he didn't want BK to talk about the charges against him from Idaho.
Thank you. I've since been directed to and watched an interview in full and that is my understanding of what ocurred as well.

Or"……….perhaps LE has the knife and are keeping it on the DL.JMO
That is certainly possible. Of course, then I wonder why on earth he went on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride after leaving the house but I would say it's definitely possible he was so rattled that he left both the knife and sheath behind. That could even explain why he went back to the house later that morning. He might have thought about trying to retrieve them, but decided it was too risky in the daylight. MOOooo

IMO, no. I think that the knife sheath being found out in the open and strategically located next to Maddie’s body makes for one very easy clue to the killer. Too easy. And the fact that BKs DNA being strategically located on the sheath snap in a precise little location is incredulous at best. If BK used that knife and sheath, perhaps to kill, his DNA would be all over it, along with blood. At best, the dna on the sheath shows that BK touched that sheath snap at one time and it could have been ten years ago. However, if BKs DNA is found on the victims body, mixed with their blood, all over the house than I would definitely think that he is the killer. Right now, I’m not so sure.
Like others have said, he probably handled the knife and sheath at home prior to the murders and wiped it down really well. Missed the crevices in the button snap so DNA remained there. He likely wore gloves during the murders so I don’t think his DNA would necessarily be all over the sheath. And we have to remember that the PCA doesn’t have to disclose all of their DNA findings on the knife or otherwise. They just have to disclose enough information to warrant the arrest. There probably was DNA from the girls on the sheath and other DNA within the home. We just have to wait, I am sure there is a lot more evidence being processed right now.

In today's dramatic (pointless moo) headlines, there was a car accident in front of BK's apartment the night he headed to Moscow!

A hit-and-run unfolded outside of Bryan Kohberger’s home on the same night that he allegedly murdered four University of Idaho students, it has been revealed.

At around 11.40pm on the night of 12 November, police were called to a report of a crash in front of an apartment complex on the Washington State University (WSU) campus, in Pullman, Washington state, according to authorities.

The apartment complex, which houses mainly graduate or PhD students, had been home to Mr Kohberger since August when he relocated from his home state of Pennsylvania to start a PhD program in criminal justice at the university.

When officers arrived on the scene, they found two pedestrians – a male WSU student and a woman – with injuries after being struck by a car.

"Hours later, 19-year-old student Carmen Fernandez was arrested and charged with DUI, felony vehicular assault and hit-and-run, the Pullman Police Department said at the time."

Yes, you are correct. I should clarify. There was no DNA of Bryan's on the sheath except for the snap. As a warrant, you would expect to find more DNA of BK if it was his knife sheath. For this reason, some people speculate that the sheath was wiped clean by BK and left on purpose.
I don't think we can even assume his DNA was only on the snap. It likely would have been the easiest DNA to retrieve, since the snap is metal. But, I also think the DNA on the snap is the most damning because it indicates he actually used the sheath rather than just touching it. His DNA might be all over the sheath, but they only mentioned the sample from the snap in the PCA. MOOooo

Thank you. I've since been directed to and watched an interview in full and that is my understanding of what ocurred as well.
I just re-watched the NewsNation interview by Cuomo with Attorney Jason LaBar, as well. It's an interesting interview.

In case others want to watch it, or watch it agian, the link is below.

The remarks about BK's Pennsylvania attorney not wanting his client to discuss the charges against him in Idaho are toward the end of the interview.

I get what your saying here re the sheath and the the way it kinda sounds re the single source male dna on the snap. THe PCA doesn't exclude more dna being on the sheath but it doesn't say anything about that possibility either, so that leaves an uncomfortable gap in public knowledge IMO. It is hard to just sit with that gap for the time being! One thought I've had is that, given all the other evidence in the PCA that helped establish probable cause, LE decided to get the PCA through before DNA analysis had been finished on the sheath. So they got an ID from the button, the rest of the sheath is covered in blood and possible mixed DNA profiles, that takes longer to process, but unnecessary for the probable cause arrest. Speculation and MOO. But I do agree that if there is no more of BK's dna found anywhere at the scene or on the victims or in BK's car (victim dna) then that might be problematical and cause doubt. We do have to wait for more evidence, at this stage I'm convinced that there will be more though. MOO.
Nice post. I just wanted to add that when you read single source male dna that means that it wasn't a mixed profile, not that it was the only profile found. An important distinction, I think. Technically, there could have been multiple single source DNA profiles found on the sheath, even on the snap.

JMHO

LE reported the DNA on the sheath snap in the PCA. IMO, because having his dna on the snap and no other dna on the snap proves that BK has opened or closed that very knife sheath at some point, also due to different materials holding DNA differently.
What LE did not say was if BKs dna was or was not anywhere else on the sheath, anywhere on the victims, anywhere in the rooms, on the doorknobs etc.
MOO: Also I am pretty sure you can distinguish the age of the DNA based on the degradation level and conditions and no, touch DNA should not last 10 years under normal conditions, more like weeks or months.

And he thought the right moment was minutes after door dash departed? I am still so confused by BKs logic.
BBM: My conjecture is that he was committed to carrying out the crime that night. How he reached that point and what his emotional state was and what, if any, logic he was applying at that point is pretty much anyone's guess MOO. He had been driving past the house for 34 mins when he entered the street for the last time (per pca), we can't know atm if he saw the DD drop or not. IMO that is just one more point to speculate on.

It also appears he was job hunting after moving to Pullman. One place he applied was the Pullman PD, in September 2022, a couple of months before the murders.

Much has been said about BK applying for an internship with the Pullman PD yet I didn't find any reference to an internship program on the Pullman PD website. I did however find that the WSU Police Dept has such a program. IDK if this WSU program is the one he applied to but it is possible.

Intern Program - WSU Police

And he thought the right moment was minutes after door dash departed? I am still so confused by BKs logic.
You're right, it doesn't make sense. He might not have actually seen DD stop by. We know M and K were texting K's ex up until nearly 3am, so I'm not convinced they went right to sleep after that. And X was waiting for DD. I just can't see BK wanting to enter until all the lights were off, which I'm only guessing was not until his 4th pass at 4:04. The part I don't understand is why, when he drove past going eastbound, if the lights were off, why did he come back westbound to the front and then turn around one more time before going back east and parking somewhere? If lights went out right about 4:04 (in X's room), then he went ahead and decided to park (maybe on Queen behind the house), and he did, in fact, wait in the woods for a short time before actually entering. IMO, he planned to enter closer to 3:30, so maybe his patience was waning. I don't know if we'll ever know what truly happened in his timing that morning. :(

The sheath for one, the entrance/exit of perp, position of M and K. The sheath pretty much did it for me. IL and PR were the two that brought that up. I am sure we will find out at trial though. If he is attached to those accounts LE has his devices, they will find out and use it against him.
Great post! It wasn't until LE made an arrest and I found out via the affidavit that BCK had cased the house 12 times before, that I finally understood LE's comment that the house could have been the target.

The location itself lends to multiple points of entry: first floor main door, second floor sliding glass door, and even third floor bedrooms entry if one wanted to scale up to the balcony.

There are also multiple points of escape in all directions with no obstructions. No tall fences or walls separating properties to climb over, no other homes or buildings blocking a person's exit. Lots of dark places to hide.

We also cannot forget the wooded area behind the house that would provide great cover for a Peeping Tom, or simply an immediate place to hide once leaving the house.

I just don't see him becoming obsessed with any of the home's occupants. Like you, I think he found the house first and then likely figured out who lived there and maybe followed them on social media.

I think he chose that house so that he could have a "one stop shopping" kind of experience. He knew the house was full of people living there. My guess is that he wanted to kill everyone inside.
Agree with all you ur thoughts. I posted before that I saw a similarity with the back of the 1122 Kings home & the family home of BK. After reading your post, I was curious as to what the previous home in Effort looked like. . Wow. That home is nearly identical to the Abrightsville home. Paint and ALL! Including the two story deck with the sliding door. It’s like they tried to make the new home the EXACT same as the Effort home. As if that was very important to someone. Almost makes me believe the house could have been the target if BK is guilty. Longshot, I know, but I just could never understand LE saying the house could have been the target.

Or did he wear surgical gloves, as he apparently did in PA when visiting the grocery store. If he planned to throw away the knife, perhaps he wore no gloves at all.
I would think BK held the knife in a reverse position as he was above the bodies that were probably somewhat flat on the bed. As he went downstairs, he may have changed his grip and didn't have time to adjust it once he came across the next two victims.
I thought maybe the suspect wore cut-resistant tactical gloves but BK has been shown, in my opinion, to not have not thoroughly planned the murders and/or made lots of mistakes. Maybe he wore good gloves but I wouldn't be surprised if he wore inexpensive less protective gloves. OJ wore expensive leather gloves, not specifically made for protection, and he only had a minor cut. moo

Nice post. I just wanted to add that when you read single source male dna that means that it wasn't a mixed profile, not that it was the only profile found. An important distinction, I think. Technically, there could have been multiple single source DNA profiles found on the sheath, even on the snap.

JMHO
For sure, important distinction. I think I say that on my post though? that there could well be more dna on the sheath. I'm no dna expert at all, but single source or mixed or whatever from what I understand there could be dna on the sheath that simply isn't mentioned in the pca either because it is still being processed or was not needed for arrest or both.

I'm blocked from reading the article. Can someone help please?

Possibly a dog hair found; no weapon found; red/brown stains found; vacuum canister contents taken. (I subscribe to the NYT so I can only paraphrase and am not confident about paraphrasing without violating WS TOS, as I've done in the past! I hate that I've made extra work for the mods.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong