ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 67

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Sources say...'

ETA, IMO
CNN has an article dated 1/6 stating that surveillance teams saw Kohberger throw out trash in neighbor's cans, according to "multiple law enforcement sources," which can be PA state police, FBI or Moscow police.
In one instance prior to Kohberger’s arrest, authorities observed him leaving his family home around 4 a.m. and putting trash bags in the neighbors’ garbage bins, according to the source. At that point, agents recovered garbage from the Kohberger family’s trash bins and what was observed being placed into the neighbors’ bins, the source said. Idaho suspect in student murders thoroughly cleaned vehicle, also seen wearing surgical gloves multiple times outside family home, source says | CNN

Last edited:
IMO, I actually believe that his early "failure to thrive" might have really contributed to committing the murders so soon after he moved to WA and began his program.
<modsnip: language>

If he was as confident as his PA public defender attorney made him out to be, keeping in mind he had no clue what was in the PCA...you have to wonder if there's some disassociation going on with the guy. Seems like he had a completely different understanding of that night.

People have been pointing to the purported 'Better shopping in Moscow' quote attributed to him (paraphrasing) as some sort of sick joke on Bryan's part. But IMO, I interpreted it as signs of the preparation he's been doing in case he's ever questioned about his white Elantra. Believing that the only thing he'd have to explain is the amount of times his car has been caught in Moscow.

So you have to wonder if he thought in his head he pulled off the perfect crime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why, and more so, When did you call friends over before calling the police? Because of potential crime scene contamination.
I agree. I think D will have to testify so the prosecutor can lay out the timeline of everything and she's the only person who can tell the jury what it was like in that house during that short time. I'm also confident they will handle that as gently as possible, to also get ahead of anything the defense will try and do.

It's very possible that, once we hear the whole story, D's experience that night will make a lot more sense than it does right now. She could even have had a tv on, or been playing music while she slept, which could have covered some of the sounds. I used to do one or the other every night when I was that age. I also think that, if D is as traumatized as I certainly would be by what happened, the PD cannot be too aggressive with her. It will alienate the jury and that doesn't help her client.

MOOooo
Edit for typo

Last edited:

If he was as confident as his PA public defender attorney made him out to be, keeping in mind he had no clue what was in the PCA...you have to wonder if there's some disassociation going on with the guy. Seems like he had a completely different understanding of that night.

People have been pointing to the purported 'Better shopping in Moscow' quote attributed to him (paraphrasing) as some sort of sick joke on Bryan's part. But IMO, I interpreted it as signs of the preparation he's been doing in case he's ever questioned about his white Elantra. Believing that the only thing he'd have to explain is the amount of times his car has been caught in Moscow.

So you have to wonder if he thought in his head he pulled off the perfect crime.
His insistence on LaBar hearing "his side to the story" implies there is a side to his story, rather than simply saying "I had nothing to do with this." IMO.

CNN has an article dated 1/6 stating that surveillance teams saw Kohberger through out trash in neighbor's cans, according to "multiple law enforcement sources," which can be PA state police, FBI or Moscow police.
If CNN is touting it as original reporting then their threshold to air it or publish it is 2 distinct, corroborating sources, if anonymous.

And why are these two items listed as ONE (Item #2 on list) rather than each have a separate line item? Were they attached somehow? I find this odd. Does anyone else have an explanation?
That is a good question. I can only speculate... Maybe the receipt appeared to be for whatever the Dickies item was? Or maybe they were taped together and were sort of one item? Just speculation though.

Why, and more so, When did you call friends over before calling the police? Because of potential crime scene contamination.
In that case, if we are talking about after the roomates awoke in the morning, wouldn't the prosecution call both surviving roomates and perhaps some of the friends as well to establish that scene was not contaminated? Then defense would cross examine. What reason would defense have to question the timing? The only point of interest would surely be if someone walked through one of the crime scenes and inadvertently contanimated. Would a judge really allow for them to be questioned as to why? To what purpose? MOO

The knife sheath has a thigh strap for this reason, because it’s even hard to keep it under control on a belt which most coverall don’t even have.

MOO One of his biggest errors is that resources brought by the magnitude of the crime.
Killing one student would bring normal detective power, they may or may not have been able to subpoena a years work of geofencing cell data for the house and the his pattern of stalking would remain un-investigated.
His level of subterfuge seems consistent with a single murder, and well might have worked minus the error of dropping the sheath.
Well except for all the geo data and car data...he made too many mistakes to get away with anything IMO!

Bryan Kohberger, the 28-year-old criminology student accused of ambushing four University of Idaho students with a knife in November, waived his right to a speedy probable cause hearing, pushing back his arraignment by more than six months.

But prosecutors can undercut the procedural maneuver by seeking a grand jury indictment, which would also spare the surviving roommates from having to sit in court across from Kohberger and face cross-examination during a preliminary hearing, according to Idaho lawyer Edwina Elcox, who previously represented alleged "Cult Mom" Lori Vallow.

His insistence on LaBar hearing "his side to the story" implies there is a side to his story, rather than simply saying "I had nothing to do with this." IMO.
I'll speculate based on something I read and say that he is truly one of the unluckiest men on the planet. Because the ring camera he was caught parking on wasn't really meant to go off for motion at that distance. An object/animal/thing happened to trigger it in that moment.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't cased that neighborhood dozens of times before and noted the ring cameras, when the blue ring would go off on some of them, their distance from the street, other cameras in the neighborhood. Which angles he needed to stay away from etc.

Yes, the wrong cross examination could backfire. But remember that the defense is presuming BK is innocent so the idea or assumption that he "merrily took four innocent lives" is not their starting point. The defense's job is (barring the ability to mount an actual "he has an alibi" defense) to refute or poke holes in or or question what is presented as evidence of guilt by the prosecution. "Going easy" may be necessary if a victim's relative is called to testify about a phone call or a change of door locks. My larger point is that the eyewitness's testimony is likely to be difficult and emotional because I have zero doubt that she feels both very lucky to have survived and guilty that she didn't help her friends. That would be normal human emotion. But if the defense wants to challenge her memory, let's say, based on the fact that she took no action, that's likely to be a very painful part of the trial for her and for us to watch.
Yes and it will be so hard on her. I don’t mind the strong defense and word is that the defense counsel is good at what she does. Kudos to the defense though if she can fight hard and still helps somehow to get that piece of — put in jail for life. JMO.

To do the kind of check I want (of DNA in the traps, etc) it would need to be taken out and taken to a lab.

Since there's no mention of that, I do not believe they could possibly have adequately checked the plumbing.

HOWEVER, I've realized (see above post) that they likely needed a specific warrant to basically remove and destroy plumbing from the property owner's apartment. I will be very surprised if they have not, by now, obtained a sealed warrant and gone back for that evidence.

Because they didn't need to hurry and it definitely is more intrusive into the rights of the property owner.
Bravo. Well said. I am looking for that to happen.

He took the loooong way home, which was about 35 miles (check out Moscow to Gennesee, ID then to Uniontown and Johnson, WA, and finally home to Pullman). He had plenty of opportunities to get rid of the weapon and I think that's why he took that strange route home.

It will likely be someone walking their dog years in the future who eventually discovers the weapon, if he did toss it out his car window. It's always like that!
So that Gray dude did a video about his journey after the murders, and there are about 16 minutes that are unaccounted for using GPS data. The missing 16 minutes occurred on the first leg of the trip so he assumes he ditched his clothes and weapon rather early in the 50 minute trip. IMO

Back in the Bundy days — not much in the way of cameras and DNA — this would have been the perfect crime. He got away with it for a month. Pretty much every mistake he made here was only caught by modern technology. Terrifying.

Also, this is a thing now

Not implying Bryan used this (as we know he likely didn't) but this is where crime is headed. I have friends who live in a Orange Country, CA neighborhood where people are using drones to scout out entryways, the presence of dogs, and family activity during school vacation time. They are then using those jammers to get inside of homes and clean them out.

MOO One of his biggest errors is that resources brought by the magnitude of the crime.
Killing one student would bring normal detective power, they may or may not have been able to subpoena a years work of geofencing cell data for the house and the his pattern of stalking would remain un-investigated.
His level of subterfuge seems consistent with a single murder, and well might have worked minus the error of dropping the sheath.
Excellent, excellent point. On the one hand, BK wanted to commit a sensational, slasher movie type multiple murder, almost certainly (in my view) with an eye to both gratifying some obsession and need for power over others and achieving a perverted kind of fame. It's hard to go for a grisly multiple murder in a small university town, aspiring to monster-level achievement, without triggering a massive law enforcement response, in this case involving two local jurisdictions in two separate states, two state police agencies (PA and Idaho) and the FBI. Moreover, the political need to catch this guy was very, very intense.

I'm standing by my theory that, as successful as he was academically, maybe he wasn't in a place personally that he wanted to be at this stage of his life. No wife, no girlfriend, no significant other on the horizon. No job prospects. Close to graduating with a degree that might actually be useless unless he wanted to go into university level teaching (which I don't think he did).

We know from his past that he had LE (and Army Rangers) aspirations, but it appears the closest he ever got to that was a short stint as a security officer at a school. What was his next step in life? Did he really want a career? Who would hire him with nothing but book knowledge and next to no job experience in his preferred field?

I honestly think he did have an "eff it" moment like you said. He committed this crime, likely hoping to get away with it, but maybe not really caring if he did get caught. He could spend his time in prison writing his memoirs, maybe even get his former professor to coauthor a book with him. Perhaps he was in love with the idea of hundreds of thousands of people being fascinated with this crime, and, subsequently intrigued by what kind of person could commit such a horrible act.

Back in the Bundy days — not much in the way of cameras and DNA — this would have been the perfect crime. He got away with it for a month. Pretty much every mistake he made here was only caught by modern technology. Terrifying.
I was talking to my wife about this recently. Just imagine the amount of serial killers throughout the history of time. Just in the U.S. the late 1700s, 1800s, well into the 1900s who retired and died peacefully having perfected their craft. With their crimes likely never even linked.

Who's going to work on a Hollywood script with me about the team of FBI agents who hunt serial killers through time...until one of the serial killers flips the script and starts chasing them through time. With the shock twist ending....it was one of them all along!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie