ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 67

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not second guessing it, I'm just not giving unnamed sources much weight. MOO

Regarding the News week:
There is nothing in the article at all about BK beeing seen dumping rubbish in the midle of the night in front of parent's home in PA. Nothing, not even a reference. MOO

Indeed, it SHOULD contain some of his nuDNA, at least traces, as it's still a fairly porous surface.
Especially porous compared to a metal snap. Is there a reason why the PCA made no mention of any DNA results from the leather? What are we to think if there is no DNA that links to BK, including mtDNA, on the leather? And what if there is, in fact, DNA that links to a completely different, possibly unknown male individual present?

Read my signature line... ;)

This should help. BK is currently scheduled for a preliminary hearing in June.

Here are some of the differences when charging by grand jury indictment:

Why Prosecutors Choose Grand Juries Instead of Preliminary Hearings
Thanks for this - so in other words the defendant doesn’t get to defend himself - how does that equate to a fair trial?

Do we have the VIN number for his Elantra? We should be able to check for installed features like GPS with the VIN.
I ran a Bumper search based on the license plate provided in a document published by this NY Times reporter. GPS in the 2015 Elantra came with an upgraded infotainment package, which was *not* installed in this particular vehicle.

Not neccesarily. A large number of males in Moscow alone could match DM's description. The car and phone put him in the area, but not inside the house, and certainly not killing anyone. I can think of a number of scenarios that could make someone else the killer.

Am I saying that I believe BK is innocent? No, I'm saying at this point, in my mind, he is not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The only damning evidence against him is the DNA on the sheath, and if there is no DNA on the leather, only on the snap, that alone could raise the spectre of planted evidence. Also, we don't know the extent of DNA that does not link to BK at the crime scene, or other potentially explosive exculpatory evidence. We have not heard the defense speak, only the authorities. There is a reason there are trials.

JMHO
Who would set him up by planting his DNA as evidence on the snap of the sheath & then leave the sheath at the crime scene?

I'd like to hear his defense speak on the evidence publicly revealed so far to give weight to your idea that it's a setup.

Too bad there's a gag order in place. SODDI needs more than conjecture for a good argument, IMO.

Since there is a lot we don't know yet & likely won't until June, you have a long time to swim against the current here.

A man with few close acquaintances would be tough to make a fall guy IMO. Is it possibly a co-conspirator he bailed on or ????

JMO

Thanks for this - so in other words the defendant doesn’t get to defend himself - how does that equate to a fair trial?
It isnt a trial. Its just a presentation of the known evidence to see if a defendant can be bound over to a trial. A group of people replace the role of a judge in a preliminary hearing. JMO

It isnt a trial. Its just a presentation of the known evidence to see if a defendant can be bound over to a trial. A group of people replace the role of a judge in a preliminary hearing. JMO
Ahhh I understand now - so it’s either a prelim or a grand jury indictment that determines the next step. Thanks that makes sense.

Even with a grand jury indictment, he would still get a trial with all the same rights as any similarly situated defendant.

The way I look at it, a grand jury is impaneled to weigh the case of the state. Failure to indict lets the prosecutor know "hey, you've got more work to do to make your case!"

In this case the prosecutor probably won't feel it is necessary to use a grand jury.

JMO as IANAL

I dunno. I thought it was actually observed by LE and they went immediately and took the trash.

ABC news said Federal Investigators saw him put the trash in the neighbor's bin. MSN says the same.

Newsweek says so too and adds the detail that the trash was then collected and is in evidence.

If we're going to start second guessing MSM sources with no evidence of our own, it will get fractious.
I went through the News Week article you referred to and just want to point out that it contains no reference at all to BK dumping trash in neighbours bin outside his parent's home in PA with gloves on in middle of night and this then being sent for analysis by LE. The NW article is about the trash LE collected in order to get a sample of father's dna. Different story entirely. Perhaps there are other msm that have run the BK trash story with confirmed sources, but this NW one does not IMO.

There is a popular saying in the US. In the famous phrase of Sol Wachtler, chief judge of the State Court of Appeals, a grand jury would ‘indict a ham sandwich,’ if that’s what you wanted.

It’s in the Constitution. The right to the grand jury indictment.
In practice grand juries are prosecutor friendly and many states have the prosecutor present their early case to a judge, most of whom are far more able than a grand jury to tell a prosecutor “no.”

Norm Pattis was using an argument in Connecticut that his client Fotos Dulos, accused of killing his wife Jennifer Dulos was denied his constitutional right to have a grand jury indict him, instead of a judge hearing the prosecutors evidence. He was attempting to get Fotos case thrown out in entirety.
— another car where random cameras told the story of his trip to to kill his wife and broke the case.

I'm still on the fence with all the evidence (as soon as the I hear it was more than touch DNA or those belongings in his house have their blood or hair I'll be all in), so I am struggling to understand how everyone who thinks he's guilty is trying to explain his meandering before and after the crime. There are so many things that people are saying "well, that was just dumb" about that it begs the question... does it give you any doubt? He drove around such that his car was seen, he did a three point turn, he kept receipts, he registered his car (btw, the registration was going to expire 11/20), he went to the doctor and his hairdresser... all these things that no one in their right mind would do after a crime.

I'm not saying he didn't do it, just that it doesn't truly seem open and shut here and I'll eat my words very gladly if more evidence comes proving him completely guilty, so bookmark this.
I will admit that, for me, the arrest affidavit contained mostly circumstantial evidence. Cell phone pings in the area? So what, he likes the shopping in Moscow. That late at night? Well, he's a night owl. The only thing is that PESKY little bit of his DNA. Well, that's kind of a big deal. Unless...UNLESS he's been to a party there. And left a knife sheath???

You would be a great juror because you are being impartial.

I'm of the mind that he seems guilty as hell, but let's just wait and see. I'm convinced that LE has mountains of evidence against him that the public will likely never know about until the trial rolls around.

Ahhh I understand now - so it’s either a prelim or a grand jury indictment that determines the next step. Thanks that makes sense.
Most DA's are elected, so there is a political aspect to their position. If they feel that either choosing to charge, or choosing to not charge anyone could have political consequences, they can use the cover of a Grand Jury to shade potential outrage over these decisions away from themselves.

JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member