ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphy looks to me to be an Australian Labradoodle. If you google them there's quite a few pictures of AL's that look exactly like Murphy. It's said they shed very little.

He’s a golden doodle. Same applies. That’s what this thread was about… that they are unfortunately low shedders

giving, I'm sorry if I left you with the impression that I am critical of Ms Taylor's performance. I'm not; I think she and her team are doing a good job, too.
My concern is that if BK is convicted he will attempt to say that she was biased towards the victim's/victims' parent/s and did not, therefore, properly represent him.
I found the site that referenced your recollection about both parties having the option to object - "This prompts conflict of interest questions for legal experts, and may require each client to offer consent."

Kootenai County has a small Public Defender’s Office, located in a small state with a tiny group of death qualified attorneys. I am not surprised by this development. It's not necessarily a major problem, and it appears that Taylor has already addressed it - she withdrew from the parent's case before taking on BK. In both cases, disclosure and the client's informed consent would be required. Taylor's withdrawal from the parent's cases would have had to be approved by the judge handling those cases as well.

The Idaho Rules of Professional Responsibility allow clients to waive conflicts in many circumstances, so long as there is no risk that the attorney's representation of the client would not be impaired by her obligations to the former client. See, Rule 1.7 and comments.

In this high profile case, I am sure Taylor consulted the State Public Defender and independent ethics counsel, and was very confident that this course of action was sound.

All that said, in a media firestorm running on very little factual fuel, maybe this will seem larger than it should be.

Last edited:
LE/prosecution has a mountain of evidence against BK, the car and the cell phone pings all match up, DNA, etc.
BK is done. I'm looking forward to seeing the look on BK's face when the verdict is read.
Don't be quite so sure- it is very very early on in discovery- there are few slam dunks (if any) in murder cases of this complexity. At this point, things are positive for the prosecution of this case, but really, we have very little information other than what is in the Affidavit---- which the defense will try and shred point by point. There are a few cases out there I thought were a slam dunk and the perp was acquitted.
The most impressive point for the prosecution is the sheath and his DNA on it-- this does need to be supported by a match with DNA taken from him directly, which I am sure they have done.

MOO- I fully believe BK is the person responsible for these crimes…. But I do worry he could have protected himself in some way by establishing /befriending someone in the in the neighborhood before committing these murders that could account for his phone pinging in close proximity to the girls house the previous 12 times mentioned in the affidavit.

The only reason this is something I’ve considered is because I’m still baffled by how someone with such knowledge of LE and the technological tools used to prosecute and connect murderers to the area , victims, etc via the use of forensic surveillance and cell tower dumps Would be so careless and stupid. And not think of this.

So it almost has me thinking maybe his cockiness is for a reason. Yes …… HIGHLY unlikely…. But it is something I worry about for the prosecution in this case…. Due to the fact I know we as the public still know so little of what LE knows… and what each sides attorneys are privy to about the case.

I think we as the public know the absolute minimum right now and that is understandable and what is best right now to get justice for the victims and their families…

But I still worry about this and those pings possibly being accounted for in some other way. Because right now… besides the knife sheath …. That is the primary factual evidence that screams guilty to me that the public knows about currently.

If the defense focuses on discrediting the cell tower pings, (which I’m sure they are working incredibly hard to do and going to try to come up with any and all excuses)… if they were in fact able to discover any other reason this could have occurred …. It could make prosecution slightly more difficult not having those pings to use at trial.

However I still think a conviction will occur and BK will receive the maximum sentence with the other evidence against him the public currently isn’t privy to.

All MOO
BBM in your post for focus. I'm not comfortable framing the defense's job as to "come up with any and all excuses." I don't think wanting a thorough investigation of any and all evidence means looking for excuses. I'd hope the defense would not just accept this sort of evidence without questioning it. For all we know this was BK's occasional jogging route. A defendant has the right to counsel who will examine all evidence. MOO.

Don't be quite so sure- it is very very early on in discovery- there are few slam dunks (if any) in murder cases of this complexity. At this point, things are positive for the prosecution of this case, but really, we have very little information other than what is in the Affidavit---- which the defense will try and shred point by point. There are a few cases out there I thought were a slam dunk and the perp was acquitted.
The most impressive point for the prosecution is the sheath and his DNA on it-- this does need to be supported by a match with DNA taken from him directly, which I am sure they have done.
Oh I will bet they have plenty more, and when it all comes out at trial, and it will... BK is done.
LE has done a good job, the evidence that we know of so far is pretty amazing.

I have a problem with a potential prosecution witness on the stand being cross-examined by their former attorney. I just do.

<modsnip - sleuthing family> The investigation is still ongoing and at this point there’s no way of knowing whose testimony may or may not be relevant.
Various legal experts have commented that if the above scenario were to happen, then BK's attorney could have her co-counsel cross-examine the witness.

I’m puzzled by all of the analysis and assumed criticism of the WSU program and Professor. Many of us have dealt with unprofessionalism, unfair treatment, and critical reviews that were subjective at best. Nothing pushes us to violent action unless that violent tendency was right at the surface anyway. BK made a choice. A horrible, violent choice. IMO
I agree that we're hearing the "trial" explained out of context and I didn't mean anything I said as critical of the professor. Clearly, the professor can't be expected to know that BK's life story and the Prof's job is obviously to teach BK the way he wanted things done. I manage people and understand this.

Not everyone is capable of, or willing to, accept constructive criticism in the spirit it is offered. Based on his projected opinion of himself, I think BK would be in the "how dare you criticize me" camp. MOOoooo

FWIW… published 2 hours ago.

BuzzFeed News asked People about Fischer disputing the reporting in the Mad Greek story and whether the outlet was sure its unnamed source was reliable.

In response, a People spokesperson said, "PEOPLE stands by its reporting."

BuzzFeed News asked People about Fischer disputing the reporting in the Mad Greek story and whether the outlet was sure its unnamed source was reliable.

This is interesting.

But we don't know how big an area the cell tower serves that caused the pings, do we? While the house may be on a cul de sac, street configurations don't affect cell service. It seems a tower might be able to cause pings in phones in say, a several mile radius.
JMO
then why would it be in the PCA?

Your last line BBM for focus. I would bet the defense is studying this exact situation. We have no idea if this is a common route in the area. The 12 pings could be lower than average for cars that drive repeatedly in this area.
he had no reason to be there though, it's residential. not a common area to drive. IMO

BBM

I understand the point you make here. IMO, MOO, the PCA certainly shows probable cause as a whole. I think as a whole it is sound for BK's arrest. MOO

But re the 12 Pings I get your point. In the PCA they are used as more of a suggestion/implication that more is to come, IMO. In no way do I see the arrest dependent on those 12 pings. The PCA would stand strongly without the pings IMO. Until more evidence comes all we know is that his phone (and presumably he himself - which I have no issue with, just being a bit techie) pinged of a tower that the Kings Rd residence also used. I've posted on this before as well. The 12 Pings cannot, at this stage and IMO, be said to be evidence he watched the house. IMO when/if (and I believe there will be a when) more digi evidence is analysed from his phone and other sources, there will be evidence to support and fill out the 12 Ping info that is currently in the public realm.

MOO
Re pings and the pca, I think there's more. I was looking for information to help myself understand it better when I came across this:
The concept of a cell tower dump to law enforcement WITH A WARRANT, tells me that, 1. It was something that didn't have to be done in real time. The tower company could produce records upon request, with the proper legalities being met.. 2. Once le had phone numbers, they could be tracked for patterns and addresses. ( i imagine le has software which will accept lists of numbers like phone #'s, and examine them for patterns or specific details.. 3. it was impersonal; no one had singled out Bryan, just his phone.

Last edited:
I’m remaining quiet on that one for now because the “source” did not reveal how many times BK messaged the victim or over what period of time. The number of times and period of time is critical in my opinion to determine if it was invasive or just a news source making money
It is really just gossip until the LE indicate such behaviour occurred. IMO

FWIW… published 2 hours ago.

Do they verify that their source is reliable by proof of employment or does this person have to provide credible evidence of their statement?

Regarding the cell pings near the home, Google maps shows Moscow's Walmart and Marshalls stores are 2 miles from 1122 King Road.

Moscow’s Walmart closes at 11 pm now, and Marshalls closes at 9:30 pm. I don’t know what their hours were last fall. According to the affidavit, all but one of the 12 pings were ‘late evening to early morning.’ It’s hard to explain ‘early morning’ pings, unless Walmart has changed its hours recently.

MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members