ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 69

Status
Not open for further replies.
He almost certainly already knew he'd been accepted to the program and had a TA position by spring when he applied for this. When I applied to grad school, my submissions were the summer/fall of the year before I was planning on going, and I already knew where I was headed and with an assistantship by early January of the year I was going. My experience is very standard. MOO

Because of that timeline, I don't believe for a minute his spring survey was for thesis research. To graduate when he did, he should have been completely done with research and in the late stages of writing/revising if not completely done and pending his defense. MOO
But didn’t his female professor confirm the survey was for research but that his thesis was never completed?

I don't understand what the big uproar over BK eating at the MG is about? Just because he might have eaten a vegan meal there doesn't mean anything other than that. If he happened to notice Xana or Maddie, who would ever know? I don't think anybody is holding MG responsible or at fault, that's ludicrous.

BK lived in the area, shopped in the area, got a haircut in the area, filled his car up with gas in the area, was a TA. It's perfectly natural that he would have gone places and done things, and I'm sure in such a small town culture he was at a lot of places and among people that we'll never know about.

MOO

Hey there @kittythehare !
The previous thread closed so I could not respond to your post, I’m not sure how to quote it either so I’m going with good old copy and paste… You mentioned, “I don't anticipate this trial will start for about 3 years” - I’m just curious what’s leading you to believe the trial won’t begin for such an extended period of time… have I missed anything in the news recently that indicates major stalling and/or delays are on the horizon that could push this trial that far out? Admittedly, I have been paying a little bit more attention to the Ana Walsh case, and a little bit less attention to this one in the aftermath of that additional gag order being issued, so I may have missed some things... trying to catch up though!

But didn’t his female professor confirm the survey was for research but that his thesis was never completed?
I've seen her say that, but it makes me seriously question her competence and the rigor of the program if she thinks it's acceptable for him to be conducting research that late in the thesis process. MOO

I understand why it seems so logical for people to believe BK might have connected with the girls at MG but, until proven otherwise, I accept that MG have done their due diligence and found nothing to indicate that BK was ever there. Does that mean he was never there? <shrug> It depends entirely (I think) on how long they maintain their security footage. I didn't see anything evasive in her last statement, but I guess we will see eventually how naive I am LOL.

As for whether BK might have used cash or not? If he did, I don't think it was brilliant foresight. I find it very difficult to see him as both smart enough to make sure he paid cash months before the murders, and at the same time stupid enough to not leave his phone at home on the night of the murders. Or at least to turn it off before he left home. BY now, the bank and VISA/MC will have given LE his transaction history and they will know if there are any locations dates/times in common with any of the victims in the period leading up to the murders. I'm sure they have compared phone locations as well, although that might not be as helpful given how small Moscow is. MOOoooo

No, I don't think that's quite accurate. I think it was more like: he ran out of time to do the analysis that would normally be done on the survey data, so he used a narrative (presumably describing the survey rather than actual statistical analysis of the data?) in his thesis instead.

In other words, yes the thesis was completed, but using a narrative about the survey instead of the actual survey data.

I think? MOO

No, I don't think that's quite accurate. I think it was more like: he ran out of time to do the analysis that would normally be done on the survey data, so he used a narrative (presumably describing the survey rather than actual statistical analysis of the data?) in his thesis instead.

In other words, yes the thesis was completed, but using a narrative about the survey instead of the actual survey data.

I think? MOO
Yes I believe you're right. And as I said earlier, it makes me think the program is not particularly rigorous if he actually got away with this and was allowed to graduate from the program with a thesis. MOO This is really basic academic research 101 that he seems to be floundering with and that his thesis adviser seems to be enabling.

New explanation emerges about mystery 911 call alerting police to Idaho student murders
The Independent
Story by Rachel Sharp
1/21/2023

"The call was made from the cellphone of one of the two surviving roommates at around 11.58am on 13 November, with the dispatcher speaking to multiple people.

Officers arrived at the home to find a bloody scene, with Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin all dead from multiple stab wounds.

Since then, questions have persisted around why the caller reported an “unconscious individual” when officials described the crime scene as one of the worst they had ever seen.

A potential reason for the mysterious 911 call has now been revealed in Air Mail’s article “The Eyes of a Killer”.

Civilian employees at Whitcom 9-1-1, an agency in Pullman, Washington, handle the 911 calls to the Moscow Police Department as well as several other agencies, according to the report.

The agency is severely understaffed to such an extent that the dispatchers’ guild has previously warned that “our ability to uphold public safety is at risk”.

Under standard protocol, when callers “are agitated” the dispatcher will often assign the call with the generic label of “unconscious person” rather than waste valuable time and resources trying to gather specific details.

In this case, it is possible that the dispatcher assigned the generic label while speaking to the students who were panicked by what they saw and were passing the phone from one to the other."

New explanation emerges about mystery 911 call alerting police to Idaho student murders

I don't understand what the big uproar over BK eating at the MG is about? Just because he might have eaten a vegan meal there doesn't mean anything other than that. If he happened to notice Xana or Maddie, who would ever know? I don't think anybody is holding MG responsible or at fault, that's ludicrous.

BK lived in the area, shopped in the area, got a haircut in the area, filled his car up with gas in the area, was a TA. It's perfectly natural that he would have gone places and done things, and I'm sure in such a small town culture he was at a lot of places and among people that we'll never know about.

MOO
BBM

Mad Greek has been at the center of unhinged conspiracy theories from the beginning. The restaurant has been targeted & harassed, the owners/managers have been targeted & harassed, the surviving employees have been targeted & harassed.

I wish folks would understand — really understand — how bad the harassment has been here for so many. While WS has rules, other online forums don’t & the harassment has really changed things here. We tragically aren’t the first community to experience it, but I fervently wish that folks would understand that their online conduct has real world consequences for completely innocent individuals & communities.

All MOO, of course.

BBM

Mad Greek has been at the center of unhinged conspiracy theories from the beginning. The restaurant has been targeted & harassed, the owners/managers have been targeted & harassed, the surviving employees have been targeted & harassed.

I wish folks would understand — really understand — how bad the harassment has been here for so many. While WS has rules, other online forums don’t & the harassment has really changed things here. We tragically aren’t the first community to experience it, but I fervently wish that folks would understand that their online conduct has real world consequences for completely innocent individuals & communities.

All MOO, of course.
I'm sorry that has happened to MG. People can be so careless and hurtful with their words and actions, a lot of people have been thrown to the wolves since the beginning and that's just not fair.

MOO

Another investigative reporter said he didn't report the ex-employee's story because he couldn't confirm it.
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin
@BrianEntin

Replying to
XXXXXXX
Thank you for following. I never reported or tweeted about the Mad Greek story because I could not verify it myself. I rarely tweet other outlets reporting unless it is a reporter I know and trust. I think we will have to wait and see how the People story plays out.

8:37 AM · Jan 21, 2023·
Interesting, thanks

I noticed Angenette from law & Crime also make this point earlier

Sorry, edited to add the correct tweet

Last edited:
<modsnip>

Chew on this. Maybe Kohberger will try to argue that he was framed—that one of his students pocketed his keys and duplicated them at some point and then stole his car in order to commit the murder. He could claim that there was a day when his keys vanished from his office at school and then mysteriously showed up again at the end of the day. He could claim that whoever stole his keys had access to his apartment and stole the sheath that was planted at the crime scene and the knife used to commit the crime. He could claim that any evidence found in is apartment was planted there by the perp. He could even say that he had left his phone in his car and that's why it pinged near the crime scene.

It's a wacky defense, but we've seen other wacky defense scenarios create reasonable doubt with juries. Casey Anthony's attorney concocted a story with no supporting evidence whatsoever, the feckless judge allowed it, and the brain-dead jurors swallowed it.

Kohberger could say, "I have a Master's Degree in Criminal Justice. Would I really be stupid enough to drive my own car to commit a quadruple homicide and take my phone with me?" A jury might fall for it. (I don't have a heck of a lot of faith in the jury system; I think it's about as accurate as the medieval trial by ordeal.)
Ethical defense attorneys are not supposed to lie to the court. They can't present a defense if they know it is false. They can't lie to the court. They can poke holes in the prosecution's case. They can challenge evidence. They can bring in experts to argue that there is a possibility - regardless of how small - that there could be another outcome. But overall, ETHICAL defense attorneys/public defenders can't present information that they know for a fact is a lie.

Ethical defense attorneys are not supposed to lie to the court. They can't present a defense if they know it is false. They can't lie to the court. They can poke holes in the prosecution's case. They can challenge evidence. They can bring in experts to argue that there is a possibility - regardless of how small - that there could be another outcome. But overall, ETHICAL defense attorneys/public defenders can't present information that they know for a fact is a lie.
I’ve been thinking about this. When she sees the evidence, if it’s very apparent that he did it, how hard will she go to poke holes? I hope she wouldn’t be “Jose Baez-like” in unscrupulous-ness (IMO). Or even like those Jodi Arias defense attorneys, who I felt acted deplorably.

Might she try to broker a plea for him? Might she just stick with legal issues regarding admissibility of evidence, etc., to protect his rights? I hope she doesn’t go for a bogus SODDI defense (if no evidence of such exists).

I wonder if BKs family could convince him to plead guilty (if it could mean potentially avoiding the DP.) Does he care enough about them that if they tried to persuade him, he’d listen?

MOO.

BBM

All MOO, of course.

Thank you for this! Social media is out of hand when it comes to true crime. That's why I stay here in the WS community. Until more communities/people/businesses fight back against the harassment by everyday citizens who have appointed themselves Sheriff, this will continue. That's why I give my full support to the ID professor who is suing the TikTok'er. I hope she wins her case for no other reason than it'll send a message loud and clear. These are people's lives.

Haven't the families already been thru enough, to now live in fear that they may / or may not effect the case?

A new gag order in the Idaho murders case effectively silences victims' families​

"Jon Bruschke, a professor at California State University, Fullerton, who has studied pretrial publicity, told Insider research shows gag orders are often ineffective. The vast majority of criminal defendants who go to trial are convicted with or without the protection of a gag order. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆