ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pondering several questions-
I wonder if BK circling the house several times that night before he went in was a sign of hesitation or, was he trying to get a feel for who was possibly there and were they asleep? I am guessing he did not see the door dasher. If he had, it would have been a red flag that there were people awake in the house. I also wonder if he had possibly followed any of them that evening and hung out in the crowd somewhere and something made him (obviously) snap. So many questions, scenarios of how the events unfolded.

I hesitate to call a person bad or good. A person is a person.
People can exercise impulse control, Bryan did not.

But I'm curious as to why Bryan chose these victims. Why did he wait to unleash fury on a young woman who ignored his repeated greetings on social media (and her flat mates)?
There is a way that some men focus on a women that leads them to kill them. A feeling it’s their entitlement to have the woman they find attractive find them attractive too, and when it clear the woman does not, feel disrespected.
From there if the man is so self absorbed that murder seems justified, sometimes they follow through.

I think he wanted ONE murder to be UNSOLVED and be a FAMOUS UNSOLVED MURDER... definitely not him getting caught.. I think he was planning on killing the one girl upstairs and two in the bed made him kill 2, and then the noise from this second victim made victims 3 and 4 wake up and this all escalated into 4 murders.
I don't see how he could know where people would be sleeping or how many people were in the house.

Public service announcement: Air Mail (airmail.news) has part 2 of Howard Blum's story up this morning.

Thank you!

I found it interesting that the author went to a PA sporting-goods store near BK's family home that sells knives and the manager said police never contacted them to see if BK had ever purchased anything. Makes me hopeful that perhaps police have already identified where the Ka-Bar came from.

Within the craze there will be a motivation based on self interest one way or another.

In this case MOO boy wants girl, girl wants no part of boy, maybe unaware boy exists except as a pesty request on IG.
Boy tortured by his own inadequacies projects rejection into a “system” of girls who conspire to keep worthy men such as himself from becoming boyfriends.
The viewpoint that he is being intentionally hurt and his desire for the girl join up for a strong impulse to end the situation. Decides on a “victory” for himself by using his superior force.
Oops, lots of folks in the way, regrettable but not a big deal. Boy is crazy (fractured) feels he won by ending her.
Some of that self interest may not be at all like normal self interest but rather to hold together a disturbed sense of self of worthiness. Some of it may be simple interest in feeling excitement or other emotions that evade them.

Pondering several questions-
I wonder if BK circling the house several times that night before he went in was a sign of hesitation or, was he trying to get a feel for who was possibly there and were they asleep? I am guessing he did not see the door dasher. If he had, it would have been a red flag that there were people awake in the house. I also wonder if he had possibly followed any of them that evening and hung out in the crowd somewhere and something made him (obviously) snap. So many questions, scenarios of how the events unfolded.

He was circling the house to make sure "the coast was clear" to see that no one was around to see him sneak in I believe. Good point about door dash, did he miss it? Would he have gone in if he had seen the driver? Or, did he wait for the driver to leave and decided to go through with it knowing someone was awake?

They do not think he "snapped."
They think he planned this out ahead of time and stalked the victims due to his phone pinging 12 times on the King Rd cell tower, his car circling the house, going back to the house at 9:00am, and now there is evidence he was following 2 victims on social media and sent several messages via Instagram to one of them, trying to get her to respond but she didn't.

Also, he had to plan ahead to have his knife and if he is who the witness saw, he was wearing all back with a mask which alludes to planning.

It is common for a murderer to specifically target a victim or victims but then when other people - not targeted - are found with the victim, they are also killed. Usually because they could be witnesses.

It is possible that BK did not plan to kill 4 people but then did so because other people were with the victims he was targeting. The boyfriend is a good example. I don't think he was targeted, I think he surprised BK.

The witness who saw him wasn't killed I think because he was intent on leaving the house - on his way out of the house - so he ignored her. Or, it is possible he did not notice her and maybe would have attacked her if he had noticed her. But, I think he just wanted to get out of there, she saw him heading in the direction of a sliding glass door.

Last edited:
It is common for a murderer to specifically target a victim or victims but then when other people - not targeted - are found with the victim, they are also killed. Usually because they could be witnesses.

It is possible that BK did not plan to kill 4 people but then did so because other people were with the victims he was targeting. The boyfriend is a good example. I don't think he was targeted, I think he surprised BK.
I don't think Ethan technically lived at the house but probably spent a lot of time there. IMO

Interview with Xana's father

Two other female roommates, Madison Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves, were killed along with Xana’s boyfriend, Ethan Chapin, who Kernodle loved. “Her and Ethan were together about a year, give or take. And she, really, when I went up there she, I saw her just a week before that and she changed a lot. She had a life. She got to see what it was like to have a boyfriend you live with. And she really turned around. She was really responsible. Helping him out with his studies and stuff. I was really impressed,” he said.

I don't think Ethan technically lived at the house but probably spent a lot of time there. IMO
Agreed. I imagine he was so over so much he might as well have lived there, but I've seen no indication he was on the lease or had a room that was his that would make him an official resident of the house. MOO

Interview with Xana's father

Two other female roommates, Madison Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves, were killed along with Xana’s boyfriend, Ethan Chapin, who Kernodle loved. “Her and Ethan were together about a year, give or take. And she, really, when I went up there she, I saw her just a week before that and she changed a lot. She had a life. She got to see what it was like to have a boyfriend you live with. And she really turned around. She was really responsible. Helping him out with his studies and stuff. I was really impressed,” he said.

Right. He did not live there.

".....Chapin didn't live in the house but was sleeping over with his girlfriend, 20-year-old Xana Kernodle, who was also among the victims....."

This is why I think he wasn't targeted and surprised BK. I think BK would have been too intimidated to target a male. Only the most cowardly kill people asleep in their beds in the middle of the night. Same MO as the Ohio convicted George Wagner who was petrified of retaliation from the males in the family he helped kill. He and his parents and brother killed 8 members of one family. Wagner Trial Thread. His dad, Billy Wagner, will go on trial this year.

Last edited:
I can't say your hypothesis is impossible, but the standards in academia for supporting a position with citations to peer-reviewed publications are pretty strict.

Whatever BK might "gain" in experience, it wouldn't necessarily be something he could argue in a dissertation unless he had serious support from preexisting scholarship.

It's not a perfect analogy, but I did a doctoral program in theater without, in most cases, ever seeing the plays and productions I wrote about. I suppose I relied on my professional experience in a very general way, but my own ideas had to be supported by research I could cite.

If BK's motive were scholarly, the risk far outweighed any reward, IMHO.
I completely agree with you regarding supporting papers and articles in academia but I would like to offer a solution to the issue you raised.
JMO
He wouldn't have to look far for one or two peer-reviewed papers to cite a general concept, and there are always random one-off studies for all kinds of topics. Something loosely related.
Or, maybe he had no intention of using it for his paper, it was an activity he planned as his own private 'research'?
IMHO, more acknowledgment should be made of his lengthy education, AFAIK he has been in post-secondary education since he left high school, with maybe a few years working at some point, and at the most recent times, he has been studying criminals and their psyche, and criminal justice. He has lived and breathed these topics for years.
Just one of my opinions, JOMO, it was his own private research, encouraged by his paper, education, and possibly even something pathological.

He wouldn't have to look far for one or two peer-reviewed papers to cite a general concept,
That's not going to cut it for a dissertation. He'd be expected to have hundreds of sources, as well as extensive research of his own that he could substantiate. It's not like a term paper you can BS on the fly. MOO

That's not going to cut it for a dissertation. He'd be expected to have hundreds of sources, as well as extensive research of his own that he could substantiate. It's not like a term paper you can BS on the fly. MOO
A general concept could be found extensively.
Hundreds of sources for the entire paper, but not for one singular paraphrase or quotation.
Maybe I have been misunderstood, which is my own fault, of course.
I think maybe I was misunderstood as suggesting the entire paper would be based on the murders?
That was not what I was suggesting.
I was speculating that JMO, the paper spurred him on, and was an encouragement and in his own un-rational mind, he perceived it as research.

A general concept could be found extensively.
Hundreds of sources for the entire paper, but not for one singular paraphrase or quotation.
Maybe I have been misunderstood, which is my own fault, of course.
I think maybe I was misunderstood as suggesting the entire paper would be based on the murders?
That was not what I was suggesting.
I was speculating that JMO, the paper spurred him on, and was an encouragement and in his own un-rational mind, he perceived it as research.
MOO
I think I understand what you are saying. I think BK's crime studies made his evil thoughts acceptable to himself for a while because he could perceive his fantasy as research. Like the foot-fetish person who goes into shoe sales, BK found his niche. BK lost control.

side note: During my own grad school experience we all became extreme, excessive, and abnormal in our studies. None of us killed anybody that I know of. MOO

edited add MOO

Last edited:
I think I understand what you are saying. I think BK's crime studies made his evil thoughts acceptable to himself for a while because he could perceive his fantasy as research. Like the foot-fetish person who goes into shoe sales, BK found his niche. BK lost control.

side note: During my own grad school experience we all became extreme, excessive, and abnormal in our studies. None of us killed anybody.
Yes, losing control is key here.
The reasoning for that is widespread.
I'm glad you and your grad colleagues didn't kill anyone :)
ETA: I am very interested in what his thesis was.

During my own grad school experience we all became extreme, excessive, and abnormal in our studies. None of us killed anybody. MOO
Yeah there are a lot of weird people in grad school, IME, and it doesn't do wonders for your mental health. That being said, my thesis was on true crime, and I managed to not slaughter anyone in the course of my program. MOO

Agreed. I imagine he was so over so much he might as well have lived there, but I've seen no indication he was on the lease or had a room that was his that would make him an official resident of the house. MOO
His Jeep was parked right out front. Meaning, if he was a target, there he is.

Last edited:
He was circling the house to make sure "the coast was clear" to see that no one was around to see him sneak in I believe. Good point about door dash, did he miss it? Would he have gone in if he had seen the driver? Or, did he wait for the driver to leave and decided to go through with it knowing someone was awake?

They do not think he "snapped."
They think he planned this out ahead of time and stalked the victims due to his phone pinging 12 times on the King Rd cell tower, his car circling the house, going back to the house at 9:00am, and now there is evidence he was following 2 victims on social media and sent several messages via Instagram to one of them, trying to get her to respond but she didn't.

Also, he had to plan ahead to have his knife and if he is who the witness saw, he was wearing all back with a mask which alludes to planning.

The witness who saw him wasn't killed I think because he was intent on leaving the house - on his way out of the house - so he ignored her. Or, it is possible he did not notice her and maybe would have attacked her if he had noticed her. But, I think he just wanted to get out of there, she saw him heading in the direction of a sliding glass door.
Cool Cats, I agree 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member