ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 71

Status
Not open for further replies.
This today from Vanity Fair. Apologies if it's already been posted. The Idaho Murders, Part 1: How 4 College Kids Lived and Loved
Excellent find! Very precise & insightful. I also like the factual tone/approach. The writer gives insight without veering off into speculation.

My first time to hear this:
When Bryan ran into his neighbor Gaurav Narang, a computer science and engineering graduate student, on the stairwell of their apartment building, he’d corner him to “talk about why people commit crime,” according to Narang.

MOO

It probably was an unverified source, but it may have not been a mistaken narrative. The FBI denied it, but I suppose they aren’t going to tell us everything. I’m of the mind that if the FBI says they aren’t doing something, that means they probably are.

jmo

Still, who in the Indiana police forces would be taking to the media about the stops before the trial? MOO I find it unbelievable and unprofessional if so.
I would think the whole surveillance would be “need to know” only. The Pennsylvania police knew the high risk type arrest it would be, and noted they limited the knowledge to a few people before the arrest team was actually assembled.

Last edited:
He has shown via the bodycam video and in court he stares without blinking, it's intense and unnerving.
If he did this frequently in class and around campus I guarantee you that students talked about him being a creeper.

My opinion, all neurological and neurocognitive tests might be done in his case, because "if he did it, then, d@rn, why?" is still on many people's mind. The question, IMHO, is not whether he is a psychopath, the question is prevention. The hypothesis of the link between spontaneous blinking rate and dopamine activity in the brain has been postulated - not confirmed - recently popped up again, and will probably be studied more. However, possible EEG asymmetry correlation with non-blinking is too interesting to pass.

Opinion:

We don't often see coroners on the stand in murder cases, medical examiners are more common. The county where the autopsies were done, in this case (in Spokane, Washington) does not have a coroner, it has a medical examiner as chief of its forensic/justice-related autopsies. That's not an unusual model. It does not appear to me that the medical examiner's office in Spokane is an elected position, which Coroner typically is.

In a case like this one, there will be death scene photographs and autopsy reports. Autopsies for this case were done in Spokane, WA, by the Spokane Count Medical Examiner's office, which employs 3 forensic pathologists.

I would expect medical examiner(s) to be called. I'm not sure about coroners - since the autopsies were done under the auspices of a different county that doesn't have a coroner.

Spokane recently built a new forensic pathology center, which is state of the art (it's mentioned in the Spokane public radio link, above).

So I doubt there will ever be an opportunity to cross-examine the Latah County Coroner for "inconsistencies," especially as she committed herself to certain statements before the autopsies were even done and she's not an expert in medical examination of any kind. The judge will surely be concerned about "just the facts" and having a trial that doesn't require a jury to sit for months. The medical information contained in the four autopsies will be hard enough for the jury to digest. I can't see the defense calling the Coroner of Latah County, frankly. Cause of death is not going to be a big issue at a murder trial. (IMO, no one is going to claim the the four were killed accidentally or that manner of death is unknown).

IMO.

Excellent find! Very precise & insightful. I also like the factual tone/approach. The writer gives insight without veering off into speculation.

My first time to hear this:
When Bryan ran into his neighbor Gaurav Narang, a computer science and engineering graduate student, on the stairwell of their apartment building, he’d corner him to “talk about why people commit crime,” according to Narang.

MOO
The writer of the linked article also wrote a fine one about Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie. Vanity Fair employs some excellent investigative journalists. Dominick Dunne (R.I.P.) was their crime reporter for a long time; all of his articles are worth seeking out in the VF archives.

Basically a recap, but this article is just odd to me. Feels lazy. It almost is like it’s romanticizing the entire thing. Basically just a rehash of the actual news, MSM reports, tik toks, and using the girls Pinterest posts to try to explain who they are… for someone who doesn’t know about the case, I guess it does an okay job. MOO
It's Vanity Fair. You're not going to get cold, neutral reporting out of them. They rarely breaks news. The demographic they cater to likely know very little to nothing about this case. This is par for the course for all of their long reads.

The average web sleuth poster is probably 1000000th on their list of the editors considerations.

As always, consider the source.

Still, who in the Indiana police forces would be taking to the media about the stops before the trial? MOO I find it unbelievable and unprofessional if so.
I would think the whole surveillance would be “need to know” only. The Pennsylvania police knew the high risk type arrest it would be, and noted they limited the knowledge to a few people before the arrest team was actually assembled.
Yeah, could be some talkative folks in Indiana (think.. The Murder Sheet podcasts /Delphi leaks).

Kudos for my Pennsylvania for knowing when to stay quiet! :)

The Vanity Fair article is definitely thought provoking. It mentions that the VSS posts on TapATalk have now been taken down (but preserves some of the best of them).

Now I'm wondering where high school BK obtained the funds to buy his heroin, as the family was in dire financial straits. There's new, sad information about Xana and her mom (who had to wear an ankle bracelet until Xana's birth, with the implication that otherwise she'd be using drugs - she was convicted of new drug charges when Xana was 5 months old).

The article also preserves the questionnaire that BK tried to use for his master's thesis (the one where he didn't get the survey data he needed and had to write a thesis without data).

We also learn that the girls at 1122 King liked "country and trap" music. Xana also liked Nirvana. And that housemate BM was at Sigma Chi at a party attended by Ethan and Xana, the night of the murders. Article also states that the passcode to the house's door had been shared around.

Also, according to this article, the alleged blood stains on the kitchen cabinets were in fact blood, and came from Maddie's room, just above.

I had forgotten that BK was seen wearing gloves (probably nitrile) when grocery shopping in PA. This well written article is Part 1 of an unknown number, but I'm guessing there's just one more part. It pauses right when LE is about to swoop down on the Kohberger residence in the middle of the night.

I had forgotten that BK was seen wearing gloves (probably nitrile) when grocery shopping in PA. This well written article is Part 1 of an unknown number, but I'm guessing there's just one more part. It pauses right when LE is about to swoop down on the Kohberger residence in the middle of the night.
I'm going to read tonight. Did they hint at a source for the nitrile gloves (ala "according to")? I remember it was initially leaked via a purported text message to an anonymous person from an LE friend in PA. DailyMail then reported on that text message as fact (literally citing it) and it wasn't clear if they ever verified the source. The text message's contents all turned out to be true.

But I'm wondering if there was any original reporting on it beyond DailyMail

The Vanity Fair article is definitely thought provoking. It mentions that the VSS posts on TapATalk have now been taken down (but preserves some of the best of them).

Now I'm wondering where high school BK obtained the funds to buy his heroin, as the family was in dire financial straits. There's new, sad information about Xana and her mom (who had to wear an ankle bracelet until Xana's birth, with the implication that otherwise she'd be using drugs - she was convicted of new drug charges when Xana was 5 months old).

The article also preserves the questionnaire that BK tried to use for his master's thesis (the one where he didn't get the survey data he needed and had to write a thesis without data).

We also learn that the girls at 1122 King liked "country and trap" music. Xana also liked Nirvana. And that housemate BM was at Sigma Chi at a party attended by Ethan and Xana, the night of the murders. Article also states that the passcode to the house's door had been shared around.

Also, according to this article, the alleged blood stains on the kitchen cabinets were in fact blood, and came from Maddie's room, just above.

Heroin isn't that expensive, even less so back when he was in high school. There's a lot of ways he could have obtained funds. I have personally experienced the lengths an opiate addicted person will go to in order to obtain their D.O.C. JMO

Heroin isn't that expensive, even less so back when he was in high school. There's a lot of ways he could have obtained funds. I have personally experienced the lengths an opiate addicted person will go to in order to obtain their D.O.C. JMO
Heroin addiction likely to be funded by B&E he was never caught for.

I'm going to read tonight. Did they hint at a source for the nitrile gloves (ala "according to")? I remember it was initially leaked via a purported text message to an anonymous person from an LE friend in PA. DailyMail then reported on that text message as fact (literally citing it) and it wasn't clear if they ever verified the source. The text message's contents all turned out to be true.

But I'm wondering if there was any original reporting on it beyond DailyMail

No, they don't say nitrile. I'll see what I can find about verification (other than DM) for purchase of nitrile gloves. I thought they might be on the list of items from his apartment, but they are not mentioned. Can't see 'em in that picture of the plastic tub from his apt.

I added nitrile because I believe that information in the DM is likely true. It's in keeping with his possibly unreasonable concerns about health. IMO. At any rate, he's seen wearing gloves while grocery shopping (and article implies it was more than once - it sounds like the reporter talked to LE in PA, who have no gag order). IMO.

Heroin addiction likely to be funded by B&E he was never caught for.

Excellent point. I too believe that BK had plenty of experience prowling and that makes sense. He needed to procure his drugs on the down low, <modsnip - no link from an approved source>JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, they don't say nitrile. I'll see what I can find about verification (other than DM) for purchase of nitrile gloves. I thought they might be on the list of items from his apartment, but they are not mentioned. Can't see 'em in that picture of the plastic tub from his apt.

I added nitrile because I believe that information in the DM is likely true. It's in keeping with his possibly unreasonable concerns about health. IMO. At any rate, he's seen wearing gloves while grocery shopping (and article implies it was more than once - it sounds like the reporter talked to LE in PA, who have no gag order). IMO.

Excellent point. I too believe that BK had plenty of experience prowling and that makes sense. He needed to procure his drugs on the down low, <modsnip - no link from an approved source>. JMO.
I think one "nitrite" glove is on the Return of Service Doc. for Bk's residence. Nitrite assumed to be a typo for Nitrile. Doc is somewhere in the WS, Media thread for this case. I would post it but I only have a copy of the massive App for Search Warrant (30 pages) which includes the Return of Service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thi
IMO he ditched his clothes and weapon right after the murders when he took awhile and a round-about way to arrive home. No way he had that stuff 6 weeks later in PA. But he doesn't sound like a real clean person, so I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't cleaned it since Nov 13, and knew he should throw away any potential DNA or hair etc that he might have transferred. I wonder if the cops pulling him over set off his senses they were on to him? Though I think the car cleaning was like 2 weeks after the drive.
This makes me wonder: what have other notorious killers that BK might have studied (BTK) done with their clothes, etc. after committing a murder? Perhaps that would be a clue to what he may have done/his plan to dispose of those things.

I think one "nitrite" glove is on the Return of Service Doc. for Bk's residence. Nitrite assumed to be a typo for Nitrile. Doc is somewhere in the WS, Media thread for this case. I would post it but I only have a copy of the massive App for Search Warrant (30 pages) which includes the Return of Service.

Thank you! I thought so too! I thought that was when it was confirmed that he did indeed buy nitrile gloves. I found a link:

I wonder if wearing gloves to the grocery store started after the murders, or not.

Thi

This makes me wonder: what have other notorious killers that BK might have studied (BTK) done with their clothes, etc. after committing a murder? Perhaps that would be a clue to what he may have done/his plan to dispose of those things.
Yes. I think the dogs should be walked the entire length of his escape routes. Probably take a week or two, but the scent of blood can carry.

Wearing gloves in a grocery store? Seems literally pointless. Maybe I missed something.

Wearing gloves in a grocery store? Seems literally pointless. Maybe I missed something.
I'm not sure, was directing @10ofRods to the nitrile glove found in search of BK premises as they were looking for that info. You could ask that poster, I haven't been following that angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998