ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not an anonymous source. An anonymous LE source. The LE part of that is important for the discussion of LE inconsistencies. It may not be valid for you, but if I'm going to entertain other "anonymous source" information on this case, then I'm going to entertain this one too.
How do you know it’s LE if it’s anonymous?

Traffic stops....

I have never had a traffic stop (one ticket for speeding, a couple friendly warnings for the same) where the officer didn't take my driver's license back to his car... while I got to sit in shame for what felt like an eternity.

Granted that was all twenty years ago. Is it done differently now? Seems like they already knew who they were pulling over....

Like an intentional spot check.

Maybe they were each, independently, watching every white Elantra for any driving infraction at all, just cause to pull over...

Still, I contend both officers were in no hurry to ascertain the driver's record -- no need to run his ID -- because they already knew who he was.

If not to scope him out, maybe it was to slow him down so a surveillance team could set themselves up on up ahead.

I have questions.

JMO

How do you know it’s LE if it’s anonymous?

"MOSCOW, Idaho — A Federal Bureau of Investigation surveillance team tracked Idaho quadruple murder suspect Bryan Kohberger and his father on a cross-country road trip from Washington State to Pennsylvania and members of a law enforcement coalition investigating the alleged killer asked Indiana police to pull him over, according to a law enforcement source."

Re: the traffic stops.

I have never heard of anyone being pulled over without the officer asking for a driver's license (state police in this case). I also have never heard of or seen an officer lean into a window and lean on the door with his entire forearm, while conducting a traffic stop. JMO

edit: grammar

In Idaho, as in other States, the prosecution decides whether or not to charge the defendant with the death penalty. The prosecutor does not have to do this.

Bk's prosecutor will decide. We still do not know what his decision will be.

How Does Someone Get Sentenced To The Death Penalty In Idaho?

When a case goes to trial in Idaho, in certain cases the prosecution has the option to seek the death penalty. Whether or not the defendant is sentenced to the death penalty will depend on the jury.

In order for the death penalty to be given, the jury must come to a unanimous decision, which means that every member of the jury must agree that the defendant should receive the death sentence.

If there is a hung jury (in which the jury are unable to make a verdict) during the penalty phase of the trial, then a life sentence will be issued and there will be no retrial – even if just one member of the jury opposed the death sentence.

Prosecutors have not yet announced if they will pursue the death penalty if Kohberger's case heads to trial.

Thank you, kindly. Typically, during voir dire the citizens, thus the potential jurors, are asked if they hold strong feelings against the DP before chosen to seat the juror.

Oftentimes, citizens want to all but witness the crimes first hand before they're willing to vote for the DP. These crimes of murder he's accused of committing, will assure him LWOP. Unless the evidence far outweighs what's available to us, att, do we think he will get DP without the weapon being located?

This isn't a new article, just wanted to remind members that the PA search warrant could be unsealed later this month. I'm looking forward to seeing what LE found at the family home and in his car. Especially his car.

"Kohberger's Pennsylvania public defender Jason Labar told 69 News sealed search warrants unseal after 60 days from when they were signed, unless a motion is filed earlier. That means the search warrants for Kohberger's parents' Chestnuthill Township home may be unsealed at the end of February or early March."
Also his cell phone and possibly even a laptop would have definitely been with him at the parents’ house

This isn't a new article, just wanted to remind members that the PA search warrant could be unsealed later this month. I'm looking forward to seeing what LE found at the family home and in his car. Especially his car.

"Kohberger's Pennsylvania public defender Jason Labar told 69 News sealed search warrants unseal after 60 days from when they were signed, unless a motion is filed earlier. That means the search warrants for Kohberger's parents' Chestnuthill Township home may be unsealed at the end of February or early March."
Also his cell phone and possibly even a laptop would have definitely been with him at the parents’ house

Thank you, kindly. Typically, during voir dire the citizens, thus the potential jurors, are asked if they hold strong feelings against the DP before chosen to seat the juror.

Oftentimes, citizens want to all but witness the crimes first hand before they're willing to vote for the DP. These crimes of murder he's accused of committing, will assure him LWOP. Unless the evidence far outweighs what's available to us, att, do we think he will get DP without the weapon being located?
Yes, absolutely. In a death penalty qualified jury, he is more likely to get convicted.

The sheath and the autopsy evidence (which is going to be absolutely horrific) will serve to convict. The jury will remember each and every stab and slash by that 7 inch knife with a fixed blade that fits into the sheath with his DNA. Indeed, I’m still optimistic that forensic radiology was used and the actual brand of the knife will be known.

If there were multiple complaints about his grading, rather than meet with each student, perhaps he was given the collegiate option. If he were a stable, capable TA and had justification for his grading, he would've been able to handle a controlled situation, a mock trial. A mature exchange. The overseeing professor may have underestimated the collective sneer of the class and overestimated the general stability of BK which led to the disintegration of the enterprise. BK doesn't seem to take well to offense IMO. Injustice collector.

So what did he do?

He responds in childish form, basically refusing to grade at all.

I don't think pressure got to him and he snapped.

I think people got to him and he decided no longer to control his impulses.

His long game might've been in a law enforcement career. Like arsonists who are firefighters, I think he was aiming for police officer/investigator with a side hustle -- murder. IMO he studied and was drawn to and was obsessed with criminal minds because he had one.

It's just, when he applied, he got rejected -- and maybe a trifecta of rejection -- so he decided it was too much work to play the game --

Somebody else's fault, somebody else had to pay.

It was always going to be only a matter of when.

JMOO
RBBM
I'm on board with most of what you expressed.

However, I respectfully disagree that any kind of "grading mock trial" was an appropriate learning experience for a first semester TA involving a large lecture hall of 150 undergrad students under any circumstances.

I think BK's personal "issues" did play a large role in things on campus going south for him all the way to job termination. But I also think that if what has been reported is true, BK may have encountered some problematic behavior on the part of others who were his mentors. I don't think it is black & white.

From my personal experience, people on both sides of a problem can be doing whatever they can to not escalate & yet because of personality conflicts, cultural differences, etc., it escalates anyway.

I have a strong feeling that even if BK had applied himself better, performed better, met expectations better, not been distracted by planning mass murder, etc., he would not have been a fit in this particular program run by these particular people at WSU.

I realize that the professors in his program are professionals who deserve respect & that if a place is not a good fit for a student for whatever reason, the student should move on for the benefit of all.

It's not just black & white is all I'm saying. It's nuanced.

Just my own 2 cents

Ladies, Just an FYI. If you live alone and fear someone coming into your bedroom while you sleep: 1) get a sturdier lock installed, 2) push a dresser in front of the door and 3) have an escape plan through a window.
I’m also going to start putting my car keys on my nightstand
Ladies, Just an FYI. If you live alone and fear someone coming into your bedroom while you sleep: 1) get a sturdier lock installed, 2) push a dresser in front of the door and 3) have an escape plan through a window.
i’m going to start putting my car keys on my nightstand so I can hit a panic button in the middle of the night

I guess? But anyone who knows anything about that knife knows they are more for display and no actual marine would have one at a murder scene. They are like, commemorative in that USMC sheath. IMO.

I think quite a few people use them, including myself. There are too many made to be a collector’s item.

I haven't seen any media accounts from anyone who actually participated in any way with BK boxing. No coach/instructor/trainer, no sparring partner(s), no boxing classmates, nobody who ever competed against him. I'm not saying he didn't legitimately box, but I'm wondering if his boxing was more akin to his rapping, meaning just something he stuck a toe in for a quick second and something he fancied himself to be more than actually something he was or did. I could be dead wrong and he could be a Golden Glove fighter, but I haven't seen anything that would verify what exactly his boxing experience was.

I think it would be very unlikely for some gym instructor (in PA, most likely) to go to the press. Press would need to seek them out.

No one has ever said he competed in boxing, just that he started boxing at some point. I think a friend said it.

I doubt it was quick second, as it’s during the phase when he’s losing weight and exercising more - this was his chosen exercise, as far as we know (and, later, night running).

I think his ability to land knife blows to specific areas is a small indication of boxing experience. Boxers land blows in exactly the places denoted by the Coroner.

IMO/

"MOSCOW, Idaho — A Federal Bureau of Investigation surveillance team tracked Idaho quadruple murder suspect Bryan Kohberger and his father on a cross-country road trip from Washington State to Pennsylvania and members of a law enforcement coalition investigating the alleged killer asked Indiana police to pull him over, according to a law enforcement source."

Ok that’s pretty clear. MOO if not FBI, possibly MPD requested.

But as the FBI did not request the stop, and identifying the member of the coalition that did apparently went on record anonymously, but it took time, so now MOO there is no inconsistency.

Last edited:

Right, a death penalty jury would have to be chosen if BK were charged with the death penalty.

If the jury convicted him of first degree murder without the knife being found, then the jury would not need the knife when deciding his sentence.

After conviction, the court would move on to the sentencing hearing or sentencing trial.

The prosecution would present evidence at this hearing or trial to try to convince the jury to vote for death. The defense would present evidence to try to convince the jury to vote for LWOP.

All 12 jurors would have to agree on the DP. If even just one juror voted against the DP, then the judge would have to sentence him to LWOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123