ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022 ****Media Thread**** NO DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

12/30/22

Kohberger appeared in front of a Pennsylvania judge on Friday and was remanded without bond to Monroe County Correctional Facility, where he is awaiting extradition to Idaho, police said.

Kohberger is facing charges of four counts of first degree murder and felony burglary, said Latah County prosecutor Bill Thompson in a Friday press conference.

Who is Bryan Kohberger?​

Kohberger was born on Nov. 21, 1994. He completed a bachelor's degree at DeSales University in 2020, then did further graduate studies at the university, completing those in 2022, a representative for DeSales confirmed. The Associated Press reported he received an associate degree from Northampton Community College in Pennsylvania in 2018, according to college spokesperson Mia Rossi-Marino.

At the time of his arrest, Kohberger was a Ph.D. criminology student and teaching assistant at Washington State University's Pullman campus, which is only about a 15-minute drive from Moscow, Idaho. Moscow Police Department Chief James Fry confirmed in a Friday afternoon press conference that Kohberger lived in Washington state.

12/30/22

HE HELPED TEACH UNDERGRADUATES

In Washington State University’s fall course catalog, Kohberger also is listed as an assistant instructor for three undergraduate criminal justice courses led by professor John Snyder, the department’s criminal justice club adviser and global director. The three courses finished on Dec. 9, according to the online course catalog.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article270603182.html#storylink=cpy

12/30/22

The students — Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin — were stabbed to death at a rental home near campus sometime in the early morning hours of Nov. 13. Investigators were unable to name a suspect or locate a murder weapon for weeks.

But the case broke open after law enforcement asked the public for help finding a white Hyundai Elanta sedan seen near the home around the time of the killings. The Moscow Police Department made the request Dec. 7, and by the next day had to direct tips to a special FBI call center because so many were coming in. By mid-December, investigators were working through nearly 12,000 tips and had identified more than 22,000 vehicles matching that make and model.

“We are still looking for the weapon,” Fry said. “I will say that we have found an Elantra.”

12/30/22

Police say DNA evidence links Kohberger to the scene. Kohberger was a PhD student in the Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology at Washington State University, which is a short drive across the state line from the University of Idaho.

Friday's arrest is the first major break in the case - with Kohberger asking if 'anyone else was arrested' when he was taken into custody. An extradition hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.

12/30/22

The suspect, Bryan Kohberger, is a graduate student at Washington State University, located less than 10 miles away from the University of Idaho, Moscow Police Chief James Fry said at a Friday news conference.

Law enforcement sources told ABC News that police identified Kohberger as a suspect, at least in part, by using DNA technology, and police then tracked the grad student to Pennsylvania through his car.

Sources said the FBI had been watching the house for several days before a specialized team of state troopers and federal agents moved in around 2 a.m. Friday.

Police did not disclose a motive or what led them to their suspect. The probable cause affidavit, which details the reasons for Kohberger's arrest, is sealed and cannot be released until he returns to Idaho, Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson said.

Fry would not say if police are looking for more suspects, but he said, "I do believe our community is safe."

CNN:

Genetic genealogy helped investigators identify the suspect, a source with knowledge of the case said. DNA found in Idaho was taken through a public database to find potential matches for family members, the source said. Once potential family matches were found, subsequent investigative work by law enforcement led to the identification of Kohberger, according to the source.

12/30/22

The father of one of four University of Idaho students who were found stabbed to death more than six weeks ago said "we are on the path to justice" after a suspect was arrested Friday in connection with their murders.

Steve Goncalves told ABC News that he was watching a football game when "my whole world got turned upside down." His daughter, Kaylee Goncalves, as well as her roommates Madison Mogen and Xana Kernodle and Kernodle's boyfriend, Ethan Chapin, were killed in the girls' off-campus house in the early hours of Nov. 13.

[..]

When Steve Goncalves first saw the suspect's photo, he said he saw a "broken soul, pitiful human being."

"The little coward that had finally got caught running," he said. "I still think everyone's innocent until proven guilty, so I put that in the back of my mind."

Steve Goncalves said no one in the family knows or recognizes the suspect, but in the hours since they've first learned his name they are starting to see connections between him and Kaylee Goncalves that they aren't ready to discuss yet.

12/30/22

[..]

The Lehigh Valley News, a nonprofit online news site in Pennsylvania, reported that Kohberger was a student of DeSales forensic psychology Professor Katherine Ramsland, an expert on serial killers who has written dozens of books, including “How to Catch a Killer” and “The Mind of a Murderer.” She also has consulted with several TV shows focused on crime, including CSI, according to her online university biography. She wrote “Confessions of a Serial Killer,” a biography of Dennis Lynn Rader, who tortured and murdered 10 people, including a family of four in Wichita, Kansas, in 1974. Rader wasn’t arrested until 2004. The book was published in 2016.

Lehigh Valley News wrote that Ramsland confirmed Kohberger was her student but declined further comment.

Hayden Stinchfield said Kohberger was the teacher’s assistant in one of Stinchfield’s criminology classes. He seemed disengaged most of the time and was a harsh grader, Stinchfield said.

”He was definitely kind of a creepy guy,” Stinchfield said.

Stinchfield said Kohberger seemed more distracted and disheveled in the days after the killings, letting his facial hair grow out.

”We noticed distinctly, like, oh, he must be going through it. He’s, yeah, he’s looking a lot worse,” Stinchfield said.

Joey Famularo, another criminology student in one of Kohberger’s classes, said he “always seemed a little bit on edge.”

”We just assumed he was kind of shy,” Famularo said.

Famularo said Kohberger didn’t show up to class often enough to make much of an impression, but also noted his strict grading. Kohberger said he liked to challenge his students, Famularo said.

Around the time of the killings, Famularo said Kohberger shifted to almost rubber-stamp students’ assignments, though it’s hard to say whether the timing was coincidental because students had also recently confronted him about his grading.

Jasmine Lander, who graduated this month with a degree in psychology, agreed with other students that Kohberger was a tough grader. Kohberger was the teaching assistant for the 400-level criminal justice class she took in the fall.

She said that toward the end of the semester, the professor for the class indicated he was unhappy with the amount of work Kohberger was doing and had not been responding to emails.

“He didn’t really seem like he wanted to be there, and his effort kind of showed,” Lander said.

The killings “left a mark on our university, our community and our state,” University of Idaho President C. Scott Green said. But the school never lost faith the case would be solved, he said.

Kohberger has no significant criminal history in Washington or Idaho. He received an Idaho citation for not wearing his seatbelt in August.

[...]

12/30/22

Kohberger, 28, was a graduate student in the Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology at WSU’s Pullman campus, about 10 miles from where the killings occurred, and lived in an apartment complex in Pullman, the Moscow, Idaho, Police Department confirmed at a Friday news conference.

Two former classmates said Kohberger, of Pennsylvania, attended classes and finished the semester at WSU after the killings.

[..]

The Spokesman-Review also reported he worked as a teacher’s assistant in a WSU criminology course.

Roberts, who started with Kohberger at the university in August, described him as affable and outgoing, but also thought there was something “kind of off about him” socially. Norton, separately, used the same term to describe Kohberger.

“Bryan was incredibly smart and talked about things that impassioned him, but there had been something off about him,” Norton said.

12/30/22

[..]

B.K. Norton, who was in the same graduate program as Mr. Kohberger, said that he continued attending classes after the killings had occurred and seemed more animated at that time than he had been earlier in the semester.

“He seemed more upbeat and willing to carry a conversation,” Ms. Norton said in an email. She said Mr. Kohberger was interested in forensic psychology.

Ms. Norton said Mr. Kohberger’s quiet, intense demeanor had made people uncomfortable, as had comments he made against L.G.B.T.Q. people.
“He sort of creeped people out because he stared and didn’t talk much, but when he did it was very intelligent and he needed everyone to know he was smart,” Ms. Norton said.

At Mr. Kohberger’s apartment complex in Pullman, Wash., on Friday, several neighbors said they were left unsettled after learning that the suspect had been living so close by and regretted regularly leaving their doors unlocked in the quiet housing development on campus. The complex includes about a dozen apartment buildings, and a children’s playset sat behind the unit where Mr. Kohberger had been living.

Andrew Chua, a graduate student who lived in the same building as Mr. Kohberger, said he briefly met him in August or September. The two spoke about their degrees and where they were from, and Mr. Kohberger had appeared to be excited to continue his studies.

“He was really passionate about what he was doing,” said Mr. Chua.

Another graduate student who knew Mr. Kohberger said he was keenly interested in studying policing. But the student, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of worries about upsetting others in the department, said Mr. Kohberger had few friends at the school. Mr. Kohberger had appeared to want to socialize, the student said, but had made offensive remarks in the past that had left him somewhat isolated.

Fry declined to release further details, including a potential motive, until Kohberger is brought back to Idaho. An FBI surveillance team had been tracking him for four days before his arrest, according to CNN. Cops have not yet found the murder weapon, Fry said, but they did seize a white Hyundai Elantra, the same model of car seen in the vicinity of the murders in November.

[..]

Northampton Community College in Albrightsville confirmed to The Daily Beast that Kohberger graduated in 2018 as a psychology major. He was also employed as a part-time school security officer by the Pleasant Valley School District for several years until last year.

Former friends told The Daily Beast that Kohberger’s high school years were marked by a drastic weight loss, as well as cruel bullying, and a deep interest in police movies and criminology. Meanwhile, his parents battled financial issues, filing for bankruptcy the year Kohberger was born, and again when he was 14. On the second occasion, they surrendered their house and car after facing $260,173 in debts and having just $512 in the bank, records show.

Nick Mcloughlin, 26, who was friends with Kohberger in high school and vocational school, described Kohberger as “down to earth” and overweight when they graduated junior year. But at the start of senior year, Kohberger was “thinner than a rail” and turned “aggressive,” he said. He’d also picked up a new hobby: taking boxing classes.

“He always wanted to fight somebody, he was bullying people. We started cutting him off from our friend group because he was 100 percent a different person,” Mcloughlin said, adding that he had “no idea” what might have contributed to the change that summer.

Mcloughlin said he and Kohberger would spend half the school day at Pleasant Valley High before heading to Monroe County’s vocational school, where they took classes related to heating and air conditioning work. He said Kohberger also took criminal justice courses to potentially become a cop.

Mcloughlin said the friendship ended when Kohberger began putting moves on his girlfriend. “He was, like, reaching out to her, saying, ‘I can get us a bottle and we hang out tonight.’”

Another high school friend, Thomas Arntz, recalled Kohberger as a “bully” who would point out his friends’ “flaws and insecurities” to distract from his own struggles with his weight.

“He did that to me all the time,” Arntz told The Daily Beast. “He would go after my intelligence. He would basically insinuate that I’m kind of slow-witted and that I’m forgetful and [that] I lack the intelligence to be his friend.”

12/31/22

[..]

Arntz said he cut off his friendship with Kohberger because of the incessant bullying. He said his father, a maintenance worker, and mother, a substitute teacher, were “genuinely kind people.” Arntz’s sister, Casey, said Kohberger told her after graduating that he had entered rehab.

When she ran into him at a wedding in 2017, she said, it seemed “like his life was picking up.” She added: “Apparently it wasn’t.”

Arntz said he was shocked by the news of Kohberger’s arrest, but not surprised. “He was mean-spirited, he was a bully,” he said. “I never thought he would do something like that but at the same time it doesn't really surprise me.”

[..]

A former teacher of Kohberger’s at Pleasant Valley High School told The Daily Beast that he was a “good kid” and “never in major trouble.” She said that when she taught him in 11th and 12th grade, Kohberger was “passionate about criminal justice.”

“He was just a regular 12th grader, had a few friends, was a good student,” she said. “I thought he would become a police officer or correctional officer.”

“He liked to watch movies about police, and ask me the next day if I’d seen it. It was more than a hobby for him, he was always asking questions,” she said.

She said she’s feeling sick over Kohberger’s alleged crimes and wonders if she could have done more for him or said something different to prevent him from traveling down a dark path. “He liked school, got good grades, did well at vo-tech, had friends, and a plan to go to school for criminal justice,” she said. “He had his life in order.”

Another high school classmate, who asked not to be named, said of Kohberger: “I remember he was very quiet and shy. A lot of people made fun of him. I don’t know if it was because he was quiet and shy or how heavy he was. But you could tell he was a smart, organized student, like all As and really to the point.”

The arrest signifies a long-awaited breakthrough, and a stunning turn of events after police fumbled the early stages of the investigation, initially calling the killings “targeted” but later conceding they had no murder weapon, no motive, no suspect, and no clear reason why the group were killed so brutally.

[..]

12/31/22

State police released few details about Kohberger's arrest, which happened at his family's home at 119 Lamsden Drive at Indian Mountain Lake, a gated community in Chestnuthill Twp.

Both state police and FBI spokeswoman Carrie Adamowski said questions about the investigation leading to Kohberger's arrest should be directed to authorities in Idaho.

On Friday inside Indian Mountain Lake, neighbors said they were shocked to wake up to law enforcement vehicles outside the Kohberger home after the 3 a.m. raid.

Eileen Cesaretti, who lives across street, said she loves Kohberger's parents and is fond of their son. She said he helped her and her husband around their house when he was home from school.

"I don't think he's capable of doing something like this. I pray to God he's innocent," Cesaretti said.

[..]

No one answered the door at the home, but dogs could be heard barking inside.

One passerby was Schuyler Jacobson, 29, a high school classmate of Kohberger at Pleasant Valley High School.

"I'm in disbelief this is who they say did it, right here. I can't believe he came back here, not in a million years," Jacobson said, noting he's been following the Idaho murder case for weeks.

TRANSCRIPTION OF INTERVIEW WITH KAYLEE'S DAD AFTER ARREST OF KOHBERGER.

30TH DECEMBER.

Reporter - Steve, thank you so much for making the time to be with us today. Just your first reaction to the news that a suspect has been arrested?.

Dad - To me and my family, it feels like the first joy we've had in the last 7 days because it really is. You can't even smile when you have this over your head and it feels like a little bit of weight has been relieved and things are on the right track and we're moving in the right direction.

Reporter - Was there anything in the press conference that the police just gave this afternoon, that was not said to you as a parent in this situation?. Did they leave something out that you wish the public knew about?.

Dad - The whole struggle of communication and everything has gotten better, every step of the way. I want to commend those police officers in everything that they've done because it has been very difficult to work with all the media, especially me being so vocal. I think it's gotten better and I really appreciate that they've made some adjustments for our family and we've noticed those things.

Reporter - Steve, I was telling our colleagues that there has been a different tone from you today as we got this good news that they did indeed catch the suspect. When we were talking earlier today, one of the things that stuck out to you was - this guy was not from Moscow. He was an outsider.

Dad - Yes, the community is real in Idaho and Idaho made a stand and I wanted to be a part of that to where we said, 'hey, this is not our new normal, we're not gonna allow this messaging to be our new normal and we're going to put our foot down and we're going to pull into every resource that we can. We have nothing to hide. If we have to pull in forces because we're close to a location that jurisdictions are there, we're still going to come together and unify for this', and I really feel like that's what happened. I mean there was some forces that pulled us apart but, in the end we all came together and we have a celebration of life today, and we actually have hope that we have somebody in custody that is a person of interest. Of course he's innocent until proven guilty, but that's a lot better off than we were 48 hrs. ago.

Reporter - Steve, why was it important today for you to have that memorial service for, not only Kaylee, but for Maddie?. With this being the day that it is, why did you guys decide to push through and you're gonna have this this celebration of life for your daughters?.

Dad - It was important for us to have this person of interest in custody so they weren't, possibly, in that audience, because we made it open and we knew if we made ourselves vulnerable like that, we didn't want somebody to be taking advantage of that and feeding off that. We definitely don't want to feed somebody who's a predator to our environment. So it's nice that we have this closure. There's a lot of prayers going across America.

Reporter - Steve, it's Kennedy. Everyone here at Fox, we pray for you and we hope that God continues to sustain all of your families through this unspeakable tragedy. I know that you have done so much work and you have been so vocal and you have done so much investigation, and I'm just wondering - had you heard the name Bryan Kohberger before today?.

Dad - No, we had not, that's just completely honest. Everything was kept under the wraps. The investigation did everything they could do to keep this away from the public, to keep the jury untainted, do everything by the book and I believe they've done an amazing job of that.

Reporter - Steve, it's Jimmy. As a parent, I can't imagine what you're going through. But one of the things we have found heartening, with a tragedy as awful as this, is how a tight community like the one in Moscow has been pulled tighter by the love they had for your daughter. Can you speak to the sense of, I don't know, maybe relief?. Is there some type of emotional upward mobility today, given the capture of this guy?.

Dad - Yeah, it felt like we were all in this together and I feel like everybody did something that was uncomfortable. They took photos, they submitted information, they took time and in the end, I hope, when the stories all said and told that we actually do find out that some of these tips and leads from the community were critical and I would not be surprised if this is gonna be a community based justice that was exercised in this whole process.

Reporter - Steve, you've been so strong and I'm so glad that they caught this guy before the New Year. Thank you so much for stepping away from the memorial service and spending some time with our audience. Thank you, sir.

Dad - Thank you for sticking with us.

e6400ee7-67e0-4871-ba93-4f5d426c5215-jpeg.391240

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads