ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022 ****Media Thread**** NO DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Once police told Steve and his family the identity of the suspect, he said his loved ones got to work trying to find answers as to why Kaylee and her friends were targeted.

He said the family have started to see connections between the two but he was not ready to share them yet.

'Now that there's a person and a name that someone can specifically look for and see if there's any connections in any way. So they're just trying to figure it out,' the family's attorney, Shanon Grey, told ABC News.

Steve said that no one in the family knew or recognized Kohberger when they were initially told about him by police.

He told ABC that they've found links between the suspect and Kaylee, but are not ready to discuss them yet as the police investigation continues.

Police had previously refused to rule out that the killings were targeted, but it remains unknown what connections Kohberger could have had with the victims, who were living just eight miles from the suspect's campus.

The grieving father described Kohberger as a 'broken soul, pitiful human being,' and that he was 'the little coward that had finally got caught running.'

Steve added that he was patiently waiting to see Kohberger when he appears in court next week.

'This guy's gonna have to look me in my eyes multiple times, and I'm going to be looking for the truth. That's really what I'm going to be looking for.'

12/31/22

[..]

Investigators honed in on Kohberger as the suspect through DNA evidence and by confirming his ownership of a white Hyundai Elantra seen near the crime scene, according to two law enforcement sources briefed on the investigation.

[..]

He drove cross-country in a white Hyundai Elantra and arrived at his parents’ house in Pennsylvania around Christmas, according to a law enforcement source. Authorities began tracking him at some point during his trip east from Idaho.

“Sometime right before Christmas we were zeroing in on him being in or going to Pennsylvania,” the source told CNN.

An FBI surveillance team tracked him for four days before his arrest while law enforcement worked with prosecutors to develop enough probable cause to obtain a warrant, the two law enforcement sources said.

[..]

Kohberger was arraigned Friday morning in Pennsylvania and is being held without bail, records show.

Kohberger intends to waive his extradition hearing to expedite his transport to Idaho, Monroe County Chief Public Defender Jason LaBar said in a statement to CNN on Saturday.

“Mr. Kohberger is eager to be exonerated of these charges and looks forward to resolving these matters as promptly as possible,” LaBar said.

LaBar later told CNN Kohberger arrived in Pennsylvania around December 17 to celebrate the holidays with his family.

“His father actually went out (to Idaho) and they drove home together,” LaBar said.

He said Kohberger’s white Hyundai Elantra was found at his parents’ house, where authorities apprehended him early Friday. LaBar said his client’s father, Michael, answered the door to police. Father and son were both cooperative, he said.

LaBar said he has recommended his client be psychologically tested before court proceedings.

Kohberger is in a cell alone, LaBar, said and “on 24-hour watch by the guards there to ensure his safety.”

LaBar said the extradition hearing is a “formality proceeding.” He said all the Commonwealth needs to prove is that his client resembles or is the person on the arrest warrant and that he was in the area at the time of the crime.

LaBar said he spoke to Kohberger for around an hour Friday evening, discussing where he was at the time of the killings. “Knowing of course that it’s likely they have location data from his cell phone already putting him on the border of Washington and Idaho,” LaBar told CNN, “it was an easy decision obviously, since he doesn’t contest that he is Bryan Kohberger.”

The most chilling comparison, however, is their likenesses: In side-by-side comparisons of their mugshots posted on social media, both men have similar hairstyles and eyebrows, the same thin lips, gaunt cheekbones and matching ears, startling some Twitter users.

"I'm creeped out by similarities w/Ted Bundy. Both studied psychology/criminology at UW. ... I was a Chi Omega Sorority member in the 90s and we never forgot what Ted did," tweeted @Meidas_ZobethC.

Though little is known about the motivations driving the Idaho killings, the nature of the crimes drew comparisons to Bundy well before Friday's photo release. In early December, John Henry Browne—Bundy's onetime attorney—told news outlets he believed there were numerous similarities between the Idaho killings and those committed by his client, who left behind only paltry evidence at the start of his killing spree that left some three dozen dead.

"Just the randomness of it is actually something that does stand out," he told Fox News Digital in an interview this month. "Of course, most of Ted's misbehavior was random. There were times when Ted would follow people and then decide not to kill them. And that was his way of exercising his grandiosity, you know, 'I can control life here and there.'"

12/31/22

Who is Bryan Kohberger? A look at the suspect accused in the quadruple homicide of 4 U Idaho student​

12/31/22

"I took the responsibility at the very beginning for not getting out into the press and talking about it. That would be a thing I would change in the future. It's a learned lesson," Moscow Police Chief James Fry told NBC News on Saturday during an emotional sit-down interview in which he teared up.

Fry said getting a message out earlier could have reduced some public anxiety and fear.

Fry apologized Saturday to the families of the victims for their heartache. He said he hoped the suspect's arrest leads to some closure for the families and noted investigators will do everything possible to provide them with answers.

"We care. We've always cared and we'll continue to work hard to give them the answers they need. We can give them answers and we can give them some closure to understand. That's what we're here to offer. That's what we're here to accomplish."

Kohberger appeared to have a keen interest in crime. He was listed as a Ph.D. student in the department of criminal justice and criminology at Washington State University (WSU), which is 10 miles west and just across the state line from the University of Idaho.

According to online school records, Mr Kohberger received an associate arts degree in 2018 from Northampton Community College in Albrightsville and received a masters degree in criminal justice this year from DeSales University.

He was working part-time as a security guard until August 2021 at Pleasant Valley School District, where his mother was listed as a paraprofessional.

His sister, Amanda, also graduated from Pleasant Valley High School, according to her Facebook page.

She now works as a behaviour technician and therapist in Bethlehem while his other sister, Melissa, is a therapist in New Jersey.

Suspect’s family ‘shaken’ by Uvalde school shooting

Mr Kohberger’s mother, MaryAnn, wrote a letter earlier this year to the Pocono Record, lamenting the violence in Uvalde and elsewhere.

“As I sat this morning, reeling from yet another school shooting, I found myself wrestling with which actions need to be taken to stop all the madness. What is the answer? Gun control measures? Mental health intervention?” she wrote in a letter published on 2 June.

“Then I received a message from my daughter who works as a mental health therapist in New Jersey,” she continued.

“She shared a poem she had written, while in the greatest depths of despair.

“It shook me to my core, and I felt the need to share it:

May 24th, 2022 Uvalde, Texas, written by Melissa Kohberger

Bereft of their laughter

There is now not a sound

As we lower our children into the ground

Small hands and feet

Buried six feet deep into the earth of the world that failed them.

“As I read the poem, I thought, whatever the solution, I pray we consider the children before the gun,” Ms Kohberger wrote.

12/31/22

ALBRIGHTSVILLE, Pennsylvania – Former Pennsylvania classmates of Idaho murder suspect Bryan Christopher Kohberger said he was an intellectual who "was very interested in the way the mind works" but bullied for being overweight and socially awkward.

[..]

In his home state, he was known as a genius who was socially awkward and had a tough time picking up on social cues, a couple of his former classmates told Fox News Digital.

[..]

Despite the bullying, she said Kohberger's grades were always good, and he "was very into his books."

That continued at Pennsylvania's Northampton Community College, according to one of Kohberger's friends, who requested to remain anonymous because of her job.

"He's really, really intelligent. A bright kid . . . someone who stood out even in honors and high-level classes," his NCC friend said.

[..]

He was "awkward and intelligent, but not someone you would peg for violent," she said.

"I want to talk to him now and ask him what happened? What went wrong? What was going through your head? What were you feeling? What was going on? You know, why did this occur?"

His friend said that he didn't interact with many people on campus but was friendly with her, and they talked "for hours" about his struggles with heroin addiction and his weight and kept in touch after they graduated.

1/1/2023

Police Arrests A Suspect In Idaho Murder Case | Idaho Killing Today News | US News | News18 LIVE

Authorities in Pennsylvania arrested a suspect in the killings of four University of Idaho students who were found stabbed to death in their beds more than a month ago, local Police Chief James Fry said Friday. The killings initially mystified law enforcement and shook the small town of Moscow, Idaho, a farming community of about 25,000 people that had not had a murder for five years. Fears of a repeat attack prompted nearly half of the University of Idaho's over 11,000 students to leave the city and switch to online classes.

Bryan Christopher Kohberger, 28, was arrested early Friday morning by the Pennsylvania State Police at a home in Chestnuthill Township, authorities said. Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson said investigators believe Kohberger broke into the students' home "with the intent to commit murder." Kohberger is being held without bond in Pennsylvania and will be held without bond in Idaho once he is returned, Thompson said, and the affidavit for four charges of first-degree murder in Idaho will remain sealed until he is returned. He is also charged with felony burglary in Idaho, Thompson said.

An extradition hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.

Kohberger is a PhD student in the Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology at Washington State University, which is a short drive across the state line from the University of Idaho. He graduated from Northampton Community College in Pennsylvania with an associate of arts degree in psychology in 2018, said college spokesperson Mia Rossi-Marino. DeSales University in Pennsylvania said that he received a bachelor's degree in 2020 and completed graduate studies in June 2022.

The Idaho students — Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin — were stabbed to death at a rental home near campus sometime in the early morning hours of Nov. 13. Investigators were unable to name a suspect or locate a murder weapon for weeks.

1/1/2023

New details emerge about suspect arrested in relation to Idaho killings​

1/1/2023

University of Idaho murders: New clues into the suspect's motive​

"We have fully cooperated with law enforcement agencies in an attempt to seek the truth and promote his presumption of innocence rather than judge unknown facts and make erroneous assumptions," Kohberger's family said in a statement released by his public defender, Jason A. LaBar.

The family said they "will continue to let the legal process unfold and as a family we will love and support our son and brother."

On behalf of the victims, Kohberger's family said "there are no words that can adequately express the sadness we feel, and we pray each day for them."

"We respect privacy in this matter as our family and the families suffering loss can move forward through the legal process," the family said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa