ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having had a chance to look at the actual survey, I can kind of see how it could have been mistakenly determined to be exempt (no greater than minimal risk). It would have still been an incorrect determination based on the fact that the researchers were not collecting directly identifiable information and would not have had an honest risk/benefit analysis considered. The description of their crimes could potentially identify participants and would raise the risk level of the research to greater than minimal/full committee review and may even require a prisoner representative to be present.

One other thing that stuck out is although he says the data will be confidential, that really doesn’t mean much. He doesn’t say it’s anonymous or that data will be collected/stored without identifiers. If he’s emailing the survey from REDCap, I believe the researcher has to manually set the the survey not to collect or tie responses to email addresses.

I also noticed he doesn’t say in the beginning of the survey that the study has been reviewed by the IRB, only in the advertisements. That made me go look up DeSales IRB forms. Non-exempt studies require specific elements of consent, whereas exempt studies can use an information sheet that does not include all of those elements. DeSale only has a full consent template on their website, so I assume that they do not utilize information sheets that are not based on the consent template language, which his introductory text does not match. No risks or benefits mentioned, no way to contact the IRB… those are significant omissions.

Based on all of that, I’m going to bet that this wasn’t an IRB-approved study. If they approved this, they dropped the ball big time.
Agree 100%! Thank you for your very informative post. It brought back a lot of memories of the research I had to do for my Masters.

I’ve seen several posts that note that obtaining a PhD is very difficult when commenting on BK. Please correct me if I’m wrong - but wasn’t he just beginning his work towards his PhD? If so, I’d like to view this as another indicator that maybe he isn’t quite as smart as he wanted everyone to believe.

He had no recorded dna, but police had datasets they hadn't declared in criminology imo

Familial family found a family member, then police scored some rubbish to confirm it was him.

I don't think he planned on leaving too much dna

These perpetrators are delusional. They think they're smarter than police

We shall here
AIMOO

He didn't know they were home. I don't think they were spared, I think they were lucky. If he had known they were in the house he would have done the same. There is no reason or justification for his actions. We are just trying to, as normal people, to make a reason for this behavior. This investigation is going to be like a can of worms. I just really hope this is his first. Jmoo
Agreed. No amount of rational thinking will ever justify this crime. This is the act of a weak, depraved, diseased mind and he knows it. JMO

Exactly. People go to school at all ages, so I’m not understanding the relevance of this part of that comment. I’m just now completing my bachelor’s in my 30s and I’m certainly not a murderer or even a criminal. But evidently it makes me suspicious? That’s disappointing news.
As a vegetarian who uses their own cookware, I too am feeling a little disappointed

Maybe he was in a car accident. His mugshot looks like he had a broken nose in the past but pics of him from a few years ago don't seem to show it. Maybe it is just the angle/lighting but it looks different to me.
Its been noted that BCK was a boxer, thats def a good way to get the ol snoot broken and bent out of shape...

It's 11 minutes away so he might as well have been an Idaho student

My major university, off campus apartment was directly across the street from one of the main buildings of a fairly well known liberal arts school. The building had a gigantic open field. Everyday for 2 years I’d see activity there. People coming in and out of class. People playing on the field.

In 2 years I didn’t meet one person.

That’s with all the partying we did and me living with 4 extroverts.

The school bubble is real.

Assuming that he acted alone (which I think he did)… how did he pull off stabbing 4 able-bodied, healthy, young college students?

He’s 28 and a regular looking dude. No bodybuilder or ex military. How did he see where he was going in the house at night? Night goggles? Did he stab knowing where to hit the vital points? Or go on a rage-fueled frenzy? That would have probably caused him a serious injury and there is no report from any of his fellow students or professors that he took days off or showed up with wounds.

I know it sounds very silence of the lambs but I really think he used night goggles and that the victims were attacked in an extremely effective way. I don’t see him slashing and hacking at random in the night.

I was leaning toward this being done by 2 perpetrators, because of the speed of the attack and the 4 young able bodied people dispatched with little noise. But seeing this dude at 6 foot 3 with combative training it makes more sense.

From the NYT article linked above:

This sounds like the murders were something he had been planning for a while, JMO. There was a sort of urge or compulsion building up in him that he had to carry out. This sounds like a few other killers, like BTK or Ted Bundy.

He was also willing to talk more to people because he wanted to know what they were thinking, whether they might suspect he was the killer.

ETA: The above is JMO, just speculation. Experts tell us killers will often hang around, talk to people, etc. after a murder to find out if anyone suspects them.
Interesting take, as always @Betty P . We saw that with the Rhoden murders and I would not be surprised if it's true about Delphi

Assuming that he acted alone (which I think he did)… how did he pull off stabbing 4 able-bodied, healthy, young college students?

He’s 28 and a regular looking dude. No bodybuilder or ex military. How did he see where he was going in the house at night? Night goggles? Did he stab knowing where to hit the vital points? Or go on a rage-fueled frenzy? That would have probably caused him a serious injury and there is no report from any of his fellow students or professors that he took days off or showed up with wounds.

I know it sounds very silence of the lambs but I really think he used night goggles and that the victims were attacked in an extremely effective way. I don’t see him slashing and hacking at random in the night.
I agree, I think he acted alone. I don't think he used night goggles but hey, you can order anything online and have it delivered to your door so who knows, you could be onto something with that. I don't find it as hard as many to imagine this man acting alone, in the dark. I think the separation of floors (levels) with some victims being on one floor and the others being on another assisted him in pulling this off. Also, not to malign the victims in any way but I think if there was alcohol consumption that night it could have slowed the responses and reactions of sleeping victims being brutally attacked. I think Mr. K got lucky in that the house was not roused. Just not lucky enough to prevent him from leaving DNA at the crime scene.

I feel like you're overthinking this, guys. He didn't have 1v1 UFC fight with his victims. He went with a combat knife while they slept and were tired and possibly drunk, as well. He also had the element of surprise. It really wouldn't take that much effort, if we're being honest, especially considering that the only person who would a physical match would be Ethan. . He held virtually every possible advantage he could have over his victims. Is it a risky attack? Yes, it absolutely is. But it really didn't require all that great physical strength or anything. Furthermore, a Ka-Bar (or something similar) isn't some pocket knife, it's purposefully designed to kill.

I was leaning toward this being done by 2 perpetrators, because of the speed of the attack and the 4 young able bodied peopled dispatched with little noise. But seeing this dude at 6 foot 3 with combative training it makes more sense.
It's reported that he was into boxing in high school. I think that a person, even of modest size, who continually practices boxing and other martial arts, is a huge threat in a physical confrontation, because he has acquired the ability to think and perceive things clearly in the midst of strife. I once worked with an ex-professional boxer, a guy no more than five feet five and 120 pounds, who looked as if he couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag. But when I looked at the Youtube videos of his fights and watched him describe his moves, I believed that he could easily have decked a much larger man who didn't have his skills.

Great observation. I'm sure he would've been. MOO
Yes, I can't find the reference now, but PA definitely requires fingerprinting for anyone working in schools. My Philly-based friend had to go through a rigorous process that included fingerprinting in order to volunteer at a school library.

I think he was smart enough to wear gloves, so there were probably no cuts on him, in my opinion. I hope one of his victims scratched him on his face or neck in their fight for life, and so his DNA was under their fingernails. If not that, then one or more of his hairs fell during the attack and his DNA was recovered that way.

Respect to LE and the crime scene investigators and technicians for his capture! I am sure it was not easy to test all the found DNA in that house==there must have been hundreds of visitors who left DNA all over the place I am sure!

It seems likely he followed them online, then ate where they worked, went to the bar where they liked to go, watched them on the feed from the grub truck where they liked to eat late

JMO
What makes you think that? FYI, Most of their social media accounts are accessible and not seeing him. I think the thrust of your point though is likely. It was them or the house itself that was probably targeted. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a connection, no matter how tenous, but I wonder whether it's my logic or the deep human desire to believe there is a reason for horrible crimes and, if I only know it, it can't happen to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74