ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious what people's opinions are about LE using familial genealogy data to find/arrest suspects.
(As has been mentioned in previously linked articles)
Personally I am all for it just as I am all for fingerprints.
People who commit crimes and leave their blood and fingerprints have left them behind. Donated them as it were. Now they are public property subject to identification. I uploaded our family DNA (well, I asked my daughter to. I can’t upload anything.)

Authorities said Kohberger was a doctoral student in the Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology at Washington State University in nearby Pullman, Washington.

Ben Roberts, a fellow graduate student in the department at WSU, described Kohberger as confident and outgoing, but said it seemed like “he was always looking for a way to fit in.”

“It’s pretty out of left field,”
he said of the news of his arrest. “I had honestly just pegged him as being super awkward.”

Roberts started the program in August — along with Kohberger, he said — and had several courses with him. He described Kohberger as wanting to appear academic.

“One thing he would always do, almost without fail, was find the most complicated way to explain something,” he said. “He had to make sure you knew that he knew it.”

BBM

I suspect many of us took notice when we heard that Bryan Kohberger was quoted as asking LE, "Was anyone else arrested?"
Sure got my attention.
What are the odds he had an accomplice -- either for the commission and/or the planning of four vicious homicides?

Curious what people's opinions are about LE using familial genealogy data to find/arrest suspects.
(As has been mentioned in previously linked articles)

I’m conflicted on LE access to familial DNA data. It’s wonderful when it solves a cold case, or provides a lead on a suspect as we have here, but I do have concerns where privacy rights and the data connect. I’m sure releases are signed and rights relinqueshed when submitted. Do you have the option to also revoke consent? Do you have a right to know how it is used or accessed and by whom? Where does access and use case end? Can it be sold to a 3rd Party?

I have avoided any of the fun and interesting ancestry tests because we don’t know what science may come up with or have in mind for our data in the near or far future. Thanks for asking!

I agree. I have my DNA in a genetic /genealogy database. Only the guilty have something to fear imo.

<modsnip - off topic>

As for the man arrested, has there been a timeframe released on how long it took him to get back to Pennsylvania?

When I saw the distance he covered the first thing I thought was that he didn't expect to be in the crosshairs being that far away. If it had been left to local PD with no FBI intervention I really doubt he'd have been caught and likely what he thought to. If he planned to just kill 1 or 2 would we have seen the international news we did and would the FBI have become involved?

I think this was not his first time and this was a miscalculation on his part resulting in a lot more attention than he thought he would get and he simply wasn't prepared for.

Regarding genealogical DNA, people like him will never stop, but it may deter some knowing they have family members in a database that can be traced right back to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Thanks, @Lalalacasbah. The article you posted is packed with tidbits about his life. We are at a gathering of information stage here, and posting links to facts is greatly appreciated. IMO, not ready to arm chair diagnose until all the facts are gathered.

But at the start of senior year, Kohberger was “thinner than a rail” and turned “aggressive,” he said. He’d also picked up a new hobby: taking boxing classes.

“He always wanted to fight somebody, he was bullying people. We started cutting him off from our friend group because he was 100 percent a different person,” Mcloughlin said, adding that he had “no idea” what might have contributed to the change that summer.

[...]

Mcloughlin said the friendship ended when Kohberger began putting moves on his girlfriend. “He was, like, reaching out to her, saying, ‘I can get us a bottle and we hang out tonight.’”

[...]

Another high school friend, Thomas Arntz, recalled Kohberger as a “bully” who would point out his friends’ “flaws and insecurities” to distract from his own struggles with his weight.

“He did that to me all the time,” Arntz told The Daily Beast. “He would go after my intelligence. He would basically insinuate that I’m kind of slow-witted and that I’m forgetful and [that] I lack the intelligence to be his friend.”

BBM
IMO I think he has roguesque good looks. He looks like he could be an actor like AP, RDN, gangster like actors. He certainly looks the part.

I think all we know at this point was the car was seen near the house around the time of the murders. I'm curious where he parked and if it was near the arboretum.

I think finding out the timeline of his activities before and after the murders is probably something investigators are trying to piece together. I'm sure they'll have plenty of people to interview who knew him.

He could have spent a few days hunting for victims or planned this well in advance. He studied and did his research on criminology, after all.

He may have fantasized about committing a crime like this for years.
based on survey questionnaire, the answer would be yes. He was thinking about how to commit this crime.

Very strange that someone would go into a large house in an area where students lived -- clearly there is a high chance that several residents lived there and would be home at that time. If he went in there to kill, did he really think he would get in and out without meeting up with several of them? The noise/possible screaming would probably wake people. There was a risk that someone would call 911. JMO.

If you like to read I would have a look at Michael Crichtons 'Next'. It was the last book published before he passed and explores potential future legalities surrounding genetic material and whether it belongs to you the person or a company that purchases it. What happens if they company loses their stock can they claim more from you or your family if they legally own your genetic code? etc
As for the man arrested, has there been a timeframe released on how long it took him to get back to Pennsylvania?
When I saw the distance he covered the first thing I thought was that he didn't expect to be in the crosshairs being that far away. If it had been left to local PD with no FBI intervention I really doubt he'd have been caught and likely what he thought to. If he planned to just kill 1 or 2 would we have seen the international news we did and would the FBI have become involved?
I think this was not his first time and this was a miscalculation on his part resulting in a lot more attention than he thought he would get and he simply wasn't prepared for.
Regarding genealogical DNA, people like him will never stop, but it may deter some knowing they have family members in a database that can be traced right back to them.

The genetic testing is cheap because the company takes ownership of your dna.

AFAIK, the Elantra was registered in his mums name. T.B.C.

He drove it home 1200 miles away to confuse police.

Cant wait to see a picture of the real Elantra

From the NYT article linked above:

This sounds like the murders were something he had been planning for a while, JMO. There was a sort of urge or compulsion building up in him that he had to carry out. This sounds like a few other killers, like BTK or Ted Bundy.

He was also willing to talk more to people because he wanted to know what they were thinking, whether they might suspect he was the killer.

ETA: The above is JMO, just speculation. Experts tell us killers will often hang around, talk to people, etc. after a murder to find out if anyone suspects them.
I’d like to understand what he did and where he was in the time between the murders and his arrest. Was he posting here or on Reddit or calling in to live streams on YT? I assume all of those contacts (and I have no doubt there were some) would leave traceable evidence on his devices? My guess is his ego would drive him to want to follow comments and even post to show his “superiority.”

I don't understand OP's post:

Who specifically said that BK wanted to be a cop? I don't see that reference in either of the two links provided. Thank you for clarifying.
some friend of his

'He took criminal justice courses because he was thinking of becoming a police officer, McLoughlin told the publication'

however there are other student friends who said at other times BK was set on forensic science.

apart from his comments on career choices I thought it might be potentially interesting that he went back to his own school to become a security officer.

I look forward to hearing how they monitored him without being noticed. The family is in a gated community. Any unusual vehicles would be quickly noticed by neighbors. And obviously the guards working the entrance would have to know about the LE presence.

TRANSCRIPTION OF INTERVIEW WITH KAYLEE'S DAD AFTER ARREST OF KOHBERGER.

30TH DECEMBER.

Reporter - Steve, thank you so much for making the time to be with us today. Just your first reaction to the news that a suspect has been arrested?.

Dad - To me and my family, it feels like the first joy we've had in the last 7 days because it really is. You can't even smile when you have this over your head and it feels like a little bit of weight has been relieved and things are on the right track and we're moving in the right direction.

Reporter - Was there anything in the press conference that the police just gave this afternoon, that was not said to you as a parent in this situation?. Did they leave something out that you wish the public knew about?.

Dad - The whole struggle of communication and everything has gotten better, every step of the way. I want to commend those police officers in everything that they've done because it has been very difficult to work with all the media, especially me being so vocal. I think it's gotten better and I really appreciate that they've made some adjustments for our family and we've noticed those things.

Reporter - Steve, I was telling our colleagues that there has been a different tone from you today as we got this good news that they did indeed catch the suspect. When we were talking earlier today, one of the things that stuck out to you was - this guy was not from Moscow. He was an outsider.

Dad - Yes, the community is real in Idaho and Idaho made a stand and I wanted to be a part of that to where we said, 'hey, this is not our new normal, we're not gonna allow this messaging to be our new normal and we're going to put our foot down and we're going to pull into every resource that we can. We have nothing to hide. If we have to pull in forces because we're close to a location that jurisdictions are there, we're still going to come together and unify for this', and I really feel like that's what happened. I mean there was some forces that pulled us apart but, in the end we all came together and we have a celebration of life today, and we actually have hope that we have somebody in custody that is a person of interest. Of course he's innocent until proven guilty, but that's a lot better off than we were 48 hrs. ago.

Reporter - Steve, why was it important today for you to have that memorial service for, not only Kaylee, but for Maddie?. With this being the day that it is, why did you guys decide to push through and you're gonna have this this celebration of life for your daughters?.

Dad - It was important for us to have this person of interest in custody so they weren't, possibly, in that audience, because we made it open and we knew if we made ourselves vulnerable like that, we didn't want somebody to be taking advantage of that and feeding off that. We definitely don't want to feed somebody who's a predator to our environment. So it's nice that we have this closure. There's a lot of prayers going across America.

Reporter - Steve, it's Kennedy. Everyone here at Fox, we pray for you and we hope that God continues to sustain all of your families through this unspeakable tragedy. I know that you have done so much work and you have been so vocal and you have done so much investigation, and I'm just wondering - had you heard the name Bryan Kohberger before today?.

Dad - No, we had not, that's just completely honest. Everything was kept under the wraps. The investigation did everything they could do to keep this away from the public, to keep the jury untainted, do everything by the book and I believe they've done an amazing job of that.

Reporter - Steve, it's Jimmy. As a parent, I can't imagine what you're going through. But one of the things we have found heartening, with a tragedy as awful as this, is how a tight community like the one in Moscow has been pulled tighter by the love they had for your daughter. Can you speak to the sense of, I don't know, maybe relief?. Is there some type of emotional upward mobility today, given the capture of this guy?.

Dad - Yeah, it felt like we were all in this together and I feel like everybody did something that was uncomfortable. They took photos, they submitted information, they took time and in the end, I hope, when the stories all said and told that we actually do find out that some of these tips and leads from the community were critical and I would not be surprised if this is gonna be a community based justice that was exercised in this whole process.

Reporter - Steve, you've been so strong and I'm so glad that they caught this guy before the New Year. Thank you so much for stepping away from the memorial service and spending some time with our audience. Thank you, sir.

Dad - Thank you for sticking with us.

I suspect many of us took notice when we heard that Bryan Kohberger was quoted as asking LE, "Was anyone else arrested?"
Sure got my attention.
What are the odds he had an accomplice -- either for the commission and/or the planning of four vicious homicides?
I took it as - 101 how to deflect attention away from yourself.
He had over a month to think about being questioned. I imagine especially since his (alleged) white car was nationally televised in the area & time frame of the murders.
I think the Moscow LE said they had 22,000
White Hyundai to look at…I thought that a interesting thing to insert. Hindsight that might of been a message to the perp…we are coming for YOU.

MOO

Last edited:
Eileen Cesaretti, who lives across street, said she loves Kohberger's parents and is fond of their son. She said he helped her and her husband around their house when he was home from school.

"I don't think he's capable of doing something like this. I pray to God he's innocent," Cesaretti said.
That's the kind of thing Wayne Couzen's mother-in-law said about him too but he was proven guilty. She was quoted on the Sarah Everard threads but I can't find where.

I look forward to hearing how they monitored him without being noticed. The family is in a gated community. Any unusual vehicles would be quickly noticed by neighbors. And obviously the guards working the entrance would have to know about the LE presence.
Maybe by posing as a repair crew of some sort or they were able to monitor the home remotely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu