ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 48

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was issued in Idaho and only covers the prosecution and the defense.

It's late for me today, but I"m sure we'll know more tomorrow. Pretty sure there's no federal gag order as this is not a federal case. The only judge with standing to do this would be the one handling the criminal case back in Idaho. IMO.
The point of a gag order is to ensure a fair trial, to which any accused person is entitled. No need for a gag order in PA because BK won’t be tried in PA.

"From Idaho judicial branch spokesperson: "As stated in the order itself, this applies to the parties of the case, not the records of the case"
That makes me think there will still be public access to records.
The point of the gag order is to prevent the lawyers from trying the case in the court of public opinion, to keep prosecutors or defense from feeding reporters information that jeopardizes the case.

If there was an actual BOLO across states, I'd love to see the source for it. Here where I live, absolutely no BOLO.

And apparently, not in Indiana either (unless you are implying that Indiana just ignores the rest of LE requests around the US).

As we have frequently heard here on these forums, many people around the US never heard about the Elantra because there was neither a BOLO (a formal proceeding leads to one) or an APB (which is a stronger version of the same).

I do not believe the Indiana state police should be maligned for not knowing, when there was never a BOLO, IMO.

There should be proof of such a statement, such a BOLO is an official act of police. Please provide.
I may be misunderstanding your post, and please know i mean no disrespect, but if such a BOLO was put out to other LE agencies, how would you know about it since such issuances are normally for LE only, not the public?

BOLOs, APBs, and ATLs (Attempt to Locate) are different everywhere but I have noticed that, at least here in AZ, LE will use BOLOs to the public in Amber Alert & kidnapping situations. APBs are pretty much a thing of the past (for many agencies) but, if I'm not mistaken, that is what LE would send out to other LE agencies out of state, not to the public. ATLs are what's used most often here now. They are sent to all LE agencies within the state of AZ, and again, not to the public.

I'm not sure what kind of proof I can offer but I can say am a daughter, mother, sister-in-law, sister, and aunt to both city and state LEOs here in AZ. I also work (volunteer) with our city police dept on occasion.

My daughter did 23 and me. She's always teasing her brother he better stay on the straight and narrow since her DNA is in the "system". I guess my son can breathe a a sigh of relief, it that's the case. (just kidding about that last part, mostly)
Then I found this Guide for Law Enforcement - 23andMe
The code referenced in the first part about Guide is in reference to communications, the same way LE could get a warrant for your user history on this site (very general example).

The Guide specifically states (BBM):

Use of the 23andMe Personal Genetic Service for casework and other criminal investigations falls outside the scope of our services intended use.

With respect to user information, while our Terms of Service (TOS) requires that participants provide 23andMe with true and accurate Registration Information, 23andMe cannot precisely authenticate or verify an individual’s identity when they use or sign up for our service, and thus does not have the means to reliably connect any particular DNA sample or account to an individual. This means that 23andMe Personal Genetic Service has no chain of custody and is not considered a confirmatory test or proof in a legal context.

After the first few years of genetic genealogy, laws were passed to protect individual privacy. The main database is now GEDMatch and users must now "opt-in" to share their DNA with LE. The only concern you should have, is if your daughter follows this process. Otherwise, your son is free and clear (so to speak)...privacy protected.

Wow great catch!! BK trying to cover his tracks
His registration was due since it was November 2021 since last renewed. He didn’t want to call attention to an expired tag considering…

Yet, I bet he dreaded having to renew his registration in Washington a week after allegedly murdering four people. Although this (11/18) was before the “look for an Elantra” announcement was made by LE, right?

BCK. GIRLFRIENDS or INTIMATE FRIENDS?
It's interesting that we have heard nothing about any girlfriends.I'm very curious to know about his relationships with women.
@tara83 Interesting point. MSM & podcasters featured quotes & interviews w long-ago classmates et al. But dating? Zip, zero, nil, nada, nothing that I've seen.

OTOH understandable that someone who was in a longer, closer relationship w him in recent years would NOT WANT TO SPEAK PUBLICLY. Maybe LE has located & interviewed already? Imo, jmo, moo, idk.

If he is guilty, he probably has a couple ideas of where or at what moment he could have left DNA, as he has been replaying the attack over and over these last few weeks, and is very anxious to compare the PCA with his own theory. When he reads that, he'll know if he has a chance in court or if he is done. IMO, there is a good chance that the second phase of the attack, where he would have been "winging" it from his original plan, might be his undoing.

Going back, do we know if the "J" (that K and M tried multiple times to call) <modsnip> Could they have been trying to call him because of the racket they were hearing downstairs? Surely they would have called 911 if this was the case. This could also explain some of the more violent wounds that K purportedly had, if she had foiled the initial plan and sent the perpetrator into a rage.

Last edited by a moderator:
They would not have arrested Bryan if they weren't sure.

And I think that a chimera situation is going to ‘exonerate’ the guilty, rather than convict the innocent. (The article talked about human chimeras.)

In any case, I feel sure that LE finished up by checking BK’s DNA against whatever it was that they found at the crime scene.

MOO

Last edited:
They didn't go home at 3 am. The first wave of SWAT team (they do NOT do forensic investigation or the actual execution of search warrants, as a rule) left, BK left, etc.

THEN, the warrant process began. Probably at dawn as you suggest (although looking around a place at different times of day can be interesting).

There's no way they did the whole search warrant in the middle of the night. I bet it took 2 hours just to remove BK from the scene, even though he was physically in their control within minutes of breaking down the door. LOTS of procedures, reports, superiors to call, etc.

And, I would submit, that the warrant may still be ongoing - do you have evidence that it's not? IMO, it can take a few days.
I was just stating my opinion in regards to PA normally serving warrants between the hours of 6a.m to 10p.m.

I know (based on MSM) they breached the house in the wee hours of the a.m. but I don't know, nor was I commenting on, when they actually executed the search warrant. What you said makes perfect sense but, again, I was just commenting on the hours.

Look at the back of the car in the Indiana body cam videos. The first thing I notice is how dirty the car and license plate are. It isn't easy to read the license plate from some angles. Dirt on the tags is a common way to make camera work and reading plates more difficult. (Article backing my last statement up -> Ways Drivers are Hiding License Plates)

If I were putting distance between myself and a quadruple homicide I might not want to make it easy for my tags to be picked up by automatic license plate readers in the states I drove through. And, sometimes a dirty license plate can be that dirty on purpose. I believe BK would have gone to PA to spend time with his family over his Christmas break even if he hadn't killed people and that despite his murderous act he was planning on going back to Washington. HOWEVER ... he probably was grateful for the distance between himself and potential pursuers so he could catch his breath and keep an eye on the situation in Idaho from the comfort and security of his parent's home. IMO, family notwithstanding, he'd have fled if he'd had a clue of how close LE was on his heels.

I admit that I'm biased. I'm heavily into genealogy and have also watched almost every episode of CeCe Moore on The Genetic Detective. But, I'm comfortable that BK's DNA and the DNA found at the crime scene (where it can't be explained by casual visits) will match and will lead to BK's eventual conviction. Time will tell. I'm looking forward to finding out more after BK arrives in Idaho.

All of the above is my own opinion.

I'm not sure what kind of proof I can offer but I can say am a daughter, mother, sister-in-law, sister, and aunt to both city and state LEOs here in AZ. I also work (volunteer) with our city police dept on occasion.
May I ask, in your experience, have you ever seen tactics like that used in a very high-profile, potentially dangerous case where they only wanted surveillance and not apprehension? It seems like a huge risk with no real reward.

Getting pulled over twice seems like a big coincidence, but when you look at the number of miles driven and the propensity to drive faster on long highway trips, it seems realistic. There was a time when my ex-husband received so many tickets he nearly lost his license. I was convinced he was the worlds worst driver. Then I looked at how many miles he drove over that two year period and while he did have a bit of a lead foot, it was statistically normal.

Meh, I'm not so sure about that. Police make mistakes all the time, especially at this stage in the game. Even people on death row are exonerated occasionally. I'm not ready to say that just because police wouldn't have arrested BK unless they were sure means that police are right and BK is guilty. MOO.

There’s a book called Rip in Heaven, by Jeanine Cummins, that details the rape and murder of two young women and how their cousin, who was with them when they were attacked, was not only arrested but seemingly confessed to a crime he didn’t commit. It was only the accident of finding the owner of a stolen flashlight that turned up the real murderers. And of course there is the Central Park 5. I’m not saying that LE has made a mistake; if they have DNA, that’s very good evidence. But let’s not pretend that everyone arrested is always guilty (or for that matter, that guilty people don’t get away with murder).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member