ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post from admins:

I'm gonna repost something a long time member said: 10ofRods. Can't find the actual post but here goes:

I would prefer the words "criminal defendant," He's no longer a suspect or a POI.

He has been formally charged by the People of Idaho in the murders of four people, all at one time.

"Just a suspect" he's not. He's a criminal defendant. And it looks like he will remain so for months to come, until a verdict is rendered. He's now in the dark shadow and the long arm of the law. He's not merely a suspect.

He has been arrested and will be charged and formally arraigned in the next couple of weeks. He has lost liberty and will not get it back unless and until charges are dropped or he goes through trial or plea bargaining. There's no more serious legal state that an (American) human can be in, legally,

Whether he murdered four people or not will be determined by a jury of his peers or actions by the court. In the meantime, he's a criminal defendant in a very very serious criminal matter. An historic criminal matter, esp. from the POV of younger people.
While I respect 10ofRods, this is incorrect. BK is currently an uncharged arrestee in a foreign jurisdiction (Pennsylvania). He does not become a "criminal defendent" until he is brought to Idaho through an extradition process, makes an initial appearance at which he is made formally aware of the charges against him and is advised by the court regarding his right to counsel, and, at a later date, is arraigned. It is only at his arraingment that he is formally charged and becomes a criminal defendant.

The links for this fact have been posted dozens of time here.

The way Bryan pulled over did not leave a safe distance for the trooper to approach on the drivers side. Intentional maybe? I thought it was odd that he didn’t pull over further on the right shoulder. All those cars and 18 wheelers zipping by? So dangerous.
Actually, approaching from the passenger side may have also been intentional on behalf of the officer.

The passenger side approach has become the preferred tactic for contacting vehicle occupants on traffic stops to reduce the risk of exposure to passing traffic. But not all safety problems are solved by the passenger side contact (PSC).

THE ELEMENT OF SURPRISE

A primary advantage of the PSC is that the driver and occupants anticipate the officer will step up to the driver’s side.

/

Completely anecdotal, but I knew a guy in college that was objectively a good-looking guy. He was tall, fit, nothing odd about his face... maybe a bit strange in his style... he almost seemed like a conservative guy from 1950's or 1960's (this was the 1990's). But, there was often this tension/anger about him in social situations. Throw in alcohol and sometimes it would get even weirder... and it wasn't just what he said, but how he said it.

It wasn't hard to pick up on and most girls definitely kept clear.
We don't know if he had partner/s or not though.
He allegedly had female friends in High school but nothing at all has been reported about his relationship history or sexual preferences.
There has been weeks of discussion on whether misogynism has informed this mass murder, most of the victims were female.

But we never found proof either way.

His internet search histories and associations may clarify.
i don't imagine they will be presented until his actual trial though and that may be a few years off.
Right now, and always we are trying to figure out what motivated him.

Haven't posted in years but I've been following this case since the story broke here in Maine 7 weeks ago and just wanted to add my thoughts on a few issues that have been repeatedly discussed here.

Regarding media coverage of this case, as I said, I live in Maine and I do not have/watch cable news. My local news picked up the story and that is how I came to first learn about the case and begin following it. So over 2800 miles from where the actual crime occurred, no access to cable news, no kids in college, no connection to that region whatsoever, and yet I learned of this case. I think it's more than likely that BK's parents knew about this case and even had discussions with him about it. Do I think they ever suspected his involvement? Unlikely.

Re: DNA - Some posters here have mentioned that finding BK's DNA at the crime scene is insignificant because there have been "hundreds" of people at the home for parties and BK may be one of those, who at some point, attended a party there. IMO, that makes BK's DNA match all the more significant because HIS DNA stood out above all of the others for a reason. His DNA stood out above all of the known occupants and visitors of that home. IMO, that is because of where that DNA was located. Law enforcement isn't going to arrest someone on DNA alone, especially in a case where there is/will be numerous amounts of differing DNA at a crime scene. If that were the case, why was no one else arrested who had been at the house? IMO, no one else's DNA was located where BK's was located. Couple that with other supporting factors that connected BK to the crime/crime scene - Not anyone else who had ever been in that home. Law enforcement doesn't want to get this wrong. I personally have no doubt they have an extremely detailed map connecting BK to this crime every step of the way.

Re: Images/Video of BK - From the very first image released of BK, I got a Joseph Duncan (Coeur d" Alene/Groene, 2005) vibe. Couldn't shake it. I didn't understand why because there were obvious differences (child sexual predator vs. no overt SA in this case) in each case. But what makes them similar - IMO - is that they are both hunters of humans - true predators and those are the offenders that scare the carp out of me. All JMO. IMO. MOO.

They said they had executed search warrants to obtain Mr. Kohberger’s D.N.A. as well as to search the home and a white Hyundai Elantra that matched the description of a vehicle seen near the crime scene on the night of the killings.

On Tuesday evening, a magistrate judge in Latah County, which includes Moscow, issued an order prohibiting all parties in the proceedings — including lawyers, police officers and other investigators — from speaking about the case outside of court, other than to refer to public records.
In response to the order from Judge Megan Marshall, the Moscow police said it would “no longer be communicating with the public or the media regarding this case.”

The order lasts until a verdict is reached on the charges or a judge modifies the order.

In a statement on Twitter on Monday night, the bar where Ms. Mogen and Ms. Goncalves had spent the night, Corner Club, said the suspect “was not and has not been” at the bar before.

The warden of the Monroe County Correctional Facility told officials that the “maximum status” prisoner has been “quiet” and has been following directions.

Mr Kohberger is held in a cell monitored by an officer all the time. A source familiar with the suspect’s status at the facility was quoted as saying by CNN that he has caused no problems during his time in detention.

Haven't posted in years but I've been following this case since the story broke here in Maine 7 weeks ago and just wanted to add my thoughts on a few issues that have been repeatedly discussed here.

Regarding media coverage of this case, as I said, I live in Maine and I do not have/watch cable news. My local news picked up the story and that is how I came to first learn about the case and begin following it. So over 2800 miles from where the actual crime occurred, no access to cable news, no kids in college, no connection to that region whatsoever, and yet I learned of this case. I think it's more than likely that BK's parents knew about this case and even had discussions with him about it. Do I think they ever suspected his involvement? Unlikely.

Re: DNA - Some posters here have mentioned that finding BK's DNA at the crime scene is insignificant because there have been "hundreds" of people at the home for parties and BK may be one of those, who at some point, attended a party there. IMO, that makes BK's DNA match all the more significant because HIS DNA stood out above all of the others for a reason. His DNA stood out above all of the known occupants and visitors of that home. IMO, that is because of where that DNA was located. Law enforcement isn't going to arrest someone on DNA alone, especially in a case where there is/will be numerous amounts of differing DNA at a crime scene. If that were the case, why was no one else arrested who had been at the house? IMO, no one else's DNA was located where BK's was located. Couple that with other supporting factors that connected BK to the crime/crime scene - Not anyone else who had ever been in that home. Law enforcement doesn't want to get this wrong. I personally have no doubt they have an extremely detailed map connecting BK to this crime every step of the way.

Re: Images/Video of BK - From the very first image released of BK, I got a Joseph Duncan (Coeur d" Alene/Groene, 2005) vibe. Couldn't shake it. I didn't understand why because there were obvious differences (child sexual predator vs. no overt SA in this case) in each case. But what makes them similar - IMO - is that they are both hunters of humans - true predators and those are the offenders that scare the carp out of me. All JMO. IMO. MOO.
Precisely. It's one thing to find DNA in the general area of a crime scene, but like you, I strongly believe LE recovered the suspect's DNA directly on the bodies of the victims' themselves. If so, this could not possibly be more damning for the accused.

There was a coordinated effort from law enforcement agencies across the country. The traffic stop in Indiana, IMO was just to slow the car down a bit and get other principles in order and set to pick up surveillance along the travel route. All of this is just theory, but if you have units surveilling a suspect you would want to show, you had "eyes on them" at all times.
NO, that is not possible, according to what was said in the PA press conference. The head of the PA State Police said that ONLY 7 to 10 officers in PA were given the top secret info about BK being a suspect. He said that it was very close to the vest info, and they did not want him to have any idea he was their suspect.

It would have been a dangerous situation for LE and for BK's family, if he knew he was about to be arrested.

So if we are to believe that two different Indiana LE Agencies were asked to BeOnTheLookout for that white Elantra, to pull over a suspected mass murderer , but pretend it was no problem, HOW WOULD THAT WORK?

Both agencies would have to tell ALL of their officers. Wouldn't it have leaked already?

And imo, NO agency would allow their officers to pull over a quadruple murder suspect on the run, all alone, with no back up and no weapons drawn. It just wouldn't happen. JMO

I might add, when he called in his traffic stop, don't you think the PD might have already known about this whole thing? I can't believe the entire dispatch unit didn't realize the significance of the stop. It's crazy. I think the stop was orchestrated to slow the vehicle down and let the other surveillance units get in place.
Another observation: Although this was a highway and the suspect didn't leave much room, you never approach the suspect vehicle from the passenger side, cop 101.
So are you saying that the entire dispatch unit of both of those Indiana Agencies were told the name and car description of the mass murder suspect? Dozenss of officers were told this secret info? No one leaked it?

And they were all asked to pull the car over, if seen, knowing he was a mass murderer on the run---but they weren't supposed to wait for back up or pull a weapon. Just walk right up all alone, and pretend they don't know anything?

That goes against everything I know about how LE officers deal with felony stops. It is actually one of the most dangerous stops they are asked to do, and I do not believe they would be expected to do so in such a dangerous way. JMO

Last edited:
A possibility that one or more victims' was actually sexually assaulted?

Even though LE stated early on in the investigation that there was no evidence of sexual assault on any of the victims' remains, would it still be possible for this not to be true as part of an ongoing effort to psychologically manipulate the suspect prior to the arrest? I've always felt from the beginning that LE was purposely misleading the suspect in regard to the ongoing investigation, and therefore releasing misinformation in such a way as to disguise the extent of the evidence that was being collected and analyzed.

LE certainly seems extremely confident that they've identified the correct suspect, along with all the evidence they need to obtain a conviction. This would seem to suggest that not only did LE recover the suspect's DNA at the crime scene, but recovered genetic material in a particularly incriminating circumstance or location. Following up on this, how uncommon would it be for a potential serial killer to not sexually assault female victims in a situation such as this? Almost all of the most notorious serial killers convicted in past similar crimes were as much sexual predators as murderers.

I may be misunderstanding your post, and please know i mean no disrespect, but if such a BOLO was put out to other LE agencies, how would you know about it since such issuances are normally for LE only, not the public?

BOLOs, APBs, and ATLs (Attempt to Locate) are different everywhere but I have noticed that, at least here in AZ, LE will use BOLOs to the public in Amber Alert & kidnapping situations. APBs are pretty much a thing of the past (for many agencies) but, if I'm not mistaken, that is what LE would send out to other LE agencies out of state, not to the public. ATLs are what's used most often here now. They are sent to all LE agencies within the state of AZ, and again, not to the public.

I'm not sure what kind of proof I can offer but I can say am a daughter, mother, sister-in-law, sister, and aunt to both city and state LEOs here in AZ. I also work (volunteer) with our city police dept on occasion.
But WHY would Idaho put out a BOLO? They already knew exactly where the suspect was. They were tracking his every move.

They did NOT put out a BOLO for him at that time. They were trying to prevent him from being suspicious about LE knowing about him. So there was no need for a BOLO, at all. In fact it would have been a dangerous thing to do. JMO

I believe we can't diagnose any mental health problem, unless there has been a known preexisting diagnosis, or before doctors formally interview the patient. There are medical conditions that just look too obvious (acromegaly, parkinsonism, Cushing's syndrome or Hungtington's gait, to name a few), but with mental illnesses, we can't say much by examining the photos. We might suspect some traits, but that's all.

However, and I hope people will understand me, it is a very sad case where even the arrest leaves some hollow feeling. Either we are at the stage when we understand that nature makes certain mistakes in genetic code, but we yet don't know how to use our rudimentary knowledge, or, perhaps, my suspicion is that when help could be provided, BK's parents had no means for it. JMO.

On the other hand, I am very happy that Idaho police, so far, has been so professional, and for the families justice is all. And give or take, BK is a threat to the society.

I hope that this empty feeling will go away when PCA is (hopefully) published, because if it was BK, his crime is awful.
I agree with you mostly; I think something went horribly wrong in his genetic code before he was born OR perhaps a brain injury or something occurred later in life changed him. I do recall that friends reported that he changed dramatically from one school year to the next.

If he is found guilty, I would hope that he would consider donating his brain to research.

For all we know, he may have gone into criminology as a means of self-diagnosing himself to try and fix his brain. Just a thought I had.

It's speculation, but you have to ask.... Were these his first killings? I hope we eventually find out his motive and more about this guy.

Coffindaffer said it's "very plausible" that the murder of the four students wasn't committed by a first-time offender.

"I do think it would be rare that he would try to commit four murders
and maybe possibly even was thinking about committing six," she said, noting that two roommates in the house survived the attack that night.

"If this was his first time to kill four people, that would be very unusual in the trends of... a fledgling serial killer."

She said law enforcement agencies in places that Kohberger has lived will be "meticulously" looking into whether he could be linked to unsolved crimes and cold cases in those areas.

What do we know about the injuries of the victims? All I know is that the police said some of them had defensive wounds, that the coroner told Kaylee's father that the wounds were rather "tears" or "big, open gouges" than stabs, and that Kaylees wounds were very different (more severe?) than Madison's. Makes me wonder if Kaylee was the main obsession of the killer.
<modsnip>
Also, to people who say that he looks like a normal person, I did not share that opinion. He looks like a psychopath to me. I have personally encountered a couple of psychopaths, so I guess I can tell. Besides, they look "normal" most of the time to most people, but when they show their "true face" it's more than obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's his photo with his quote from Aristotle. He's definitely attempting to look smiling and pleasant. I believe it's the photo he submitted or had taken as his intro photo to WSU. This is the main one I'm using as comparison:

View attachment 392187

He's definitely able to make his eye openings into a typical smile shape although his smile is still a little strained. It's hard to say, as he lacks body fat which makes a person look atypical to me. Most people have a bit more fat on their faces. His smile looks tight as a result. But, I do count normal body fat (which he isn't IMO) as a normal trait. He's high muscle and low fat, so I assume he works out and has a certain kind of diet. A diet that requires a certain degree of high habit formation (perhaps shading into a compulsion) to maintain. Not a big deal, just something I file away in my own brain. Not an easy going spontaneous person (and now we know he has apparently rigid dietary requirements).

just on the bold, this appears to be an earlier photo. The blurb reads ' Psychology' and he was previously a Psych major at Northampton. Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 23.10.26.png

Or simply complying with the requirement to register your car in Washingto to get in-state tuition. I posted threads ago thta this is what the WSU criminology department tells students to do. Registrations are traceable. It would offer no "track coverage."

I'm waiting to see some actual evidence from a PCA or other court document that a judge has reviewed independently.

Let's think about what we have:
1. a police chief claim that his DNA matches DNA found at the crime scene and media reports the match came from familial DNA.
2. a police chief claim that a 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra was seen driving near the crime scene at some time early in the morning of the murders.

Even if we accept the the police chief is being 100% honest and earnest, these are very weak pieces of evidence.

1. DNA could have been left at any time and for thousands of reasons even if BK can't explain. Maybe one of his students transfered DNA to one of the victims. Maybe he delivered their food. And if familial DNA was used for the match there are huge chain of custody issues.

2. He was driving a 2015 Elantra. Do we enhance police credibility by assuming they lied? Really? This could have been a simple error. But if it was a lie, the entire police command and/or prosecutor who conspired to make it need to be fired because it created a huge liability for the county. As someone pointed out upthread(s), if they intentionally misrepresented the year it could have led to someone not reporting and a killer could have killed again. That is simply too big of a risk for a small county.

Again, I'm not defending BK. My gut tells me it is him. And I am not knocking the police chief. I'm just saying, let's have some actual strong evidence before building the gallows. We have VERY little we know for certain regarding any actual evidence against BK.
IMO regarding point 1, I think it is more about WHERE his DNA was found that is incriminating. The location of his DNA most probably stood out from all others'

This is likely why Bryan submitted to extradition. If he forced prosecutors to show some of their hand he couldn't better control the narrative.

Silence by all parties is his best bet.
Also allows BK himself to see what they have on him in that PCA - the faster he gets over to Idaho. ( Even if he'd been tempted to fight the extradition, he would have been advised by LeBar that he would have no chance of succeeding & prosecutors don't need to show their hand in any extradition fight. IIRC the PA DA mentioned something about how Idaho differs re transparency on the PCA but I'd have to watch the presser again )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong