ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question of the triplets DNA was asked in the context of comparing DNA profiles to samples at the crime scene; NOT in the context of suspects (I don’t believe.)

Okay, I'm definitely missing something. I can only think of one scenario in which whether their DNA was identical or different is relevant. Someone help me out?

DBM

"Can arrest" is not the same as "should arrest". LE must remain mindful that a premature arrest based on circumstantial evidence may lay the groundwork for a jury to have "reasonable doubt" if a better suspect is ultimately brought to trial.
no. if there is probable cause for arrest, le can still find evidence and build the case prior to trial.
The burden of proof must be met during the trial. that's different than probable cause for arrest. And a jury doesn't find 'reasonable doubt' until the trial, and if a better suspect is brought to trial, then perhaps there's a reason for that. often, prosecutors will even hire their own investigators after an arrest has been made and while they build the case.

JUST MOO>>

I try and clear the air and focus my thoughts. This shock and awe killing isn't the first nor will it be the last of a serial killer. It's far too calculating and brutal to be a one off * POED* person who had previous contact with the victims. "Targeted" doesn't exclude this scenario, since a serial killer may target victims without knowing them.

If anyone listens to the banfield interview with xana’s mom via phone, she is also bringing up the surviving roommates…. What are these parents getting at? I’m a little nervous how all of this will unfold. Like, holy blindsided twice in one night.

If anyone listens to the banfield interview with xana’s mom via phone, she is also bringing up the surviving roommates…. What are these parents getting at? I’m a little nervous how all of this will unfold. Like, holy blindsided twice in one night.
What did she say about them?

Could not agree more! That is usually a big part of the DA's job. Also, if a suspect is tried without sufficient evidence and walks, then you might as well not even find the proof afterwards because double jeopardy will not let you get another chance.
except that they can continue to investigate. except the two things are separate.

general DNA question in this case I feel there is some just not pinging anywhere, it is my understanding that the familial dna / genetic genealogy has been used mostly on older cold cases, has it become commonplace practice that it is used earlier in an investigation now? I am not sure the expense involved and if all investigators are using it, I would think the FBI has access rather quickly. but not sure. Anyone?
As a member of the public, my DNA test took weeks to finish processing and be accessible to me, but most of that was because of the backlog. I think in criminal cases, this gets fast-tracked. Once that test is processed and in the system (Ancestry, 23&Me, etc.) the results are immediately accessible. My own DNA results listed over 40,000 relatives (about half maternal and half paternal) who were in the system. About 1000 of those were 4th cousins or closer, and many of my matches were cousins I was able to identify by things like profile name or pic, other relationships, etc. A genealogist could likely pinpoint the killer's family line pretty easily.

Have classes resumed at the university? If so, I’m sure LE is checking attendance-enrollment records to see if any students have suddenly dropped out, disenrolled or simply been skipping classes.
This is concerning to me. If the
*They* didn't say it. The father said it.
I’m concerned about the ability of LE to conduct interviews. Presumably, many students would be brought in to be questioned. The majority of them would of course not be suspects, but typically, someone might say something that leads in a new direction. With everyone leaving town the next day and so many of them still away, this really hampers the ability of the cops to proceed as they would like to. Of course if there was a suspect, they would travel to them, but potential interviewees, including the killer I’m guessing , are out of town. Lots of people that they can’t talk to. Lots of trees that they can’t shake.

So what is the story with the 6th roommate? Did they graduate or move out or were they kicked out? Could the locks have been changed because the 6th roomie was out?

I felt Xana's mother came across (understandly so) confused and upet. She doesn't seem to understand how the surviving roommates didn't hear anything and perhaps might not quite believe them. All natural I would think given the circumstances. IMO.

JUST MOO>>

I try and clear the air and focus my thoughts. This shock and awe killing isn't the first nor will it be the last of a serial killer. It's far too calculating and brutal to be a one off * POED* person who had previous contact with the victims. "Targeted" doesn't exclude this scenario, since a serial killer may target victims without knowing them.
I am pretty sure the killer is just delighted with the press and attention for his work.

One of the best posts i read here about this case and profile of the perpetrator, field that really interests me. I remember your previous post (abbreviation SA sticked to my mind), but this is even more logical and detailed explanation. I am impressed.

I wish to make a mark sonehow, so I can read your posts, whenever you write, but I am not familiar with this site. Can someone help?
Maybe that’s just it, we have a killer that doesn’t fit any categories or statistical designations.Think about it. It’s very easy to place offenders/killers into categories: organized vs disorganized/mass vs serial.Maybe it’s your neighborhood grandma who loves kids and dogs, makes their bed every day, goes to church every Sunday-a kindly old lady/man who lost their marbles one night. Profiling is great, but it’s not everything. Sometimes solving a killing comes down to using common sense or something simple….usually it’s a power struggle or some kind of triggering event.

I felt Xana's mother came across (understandly so) confused and upet. She doesn't seem to understand how the surviving roommates didn't hear anything and perhaps might not quite believe them. All natural I would think given the circumstances. IMO.
I agree! It would be hard to comprehend how this all happened and no one could hear them, save them. That as a parent, has to be a terrifying feeling. I need to relisten to the in person interview with Kaylee’s family… I hear “she” with the alibi but want to make double sure! What’s your thoughts ?

That doesn’t seem to be in the included clip?

Did she indicate that it was a code lock or key lock?

I’m with you: replacing a door knob or lock would generally be done by property management, ~especially~ if a lock is involved - that’s generally a lease term, IME. Why did her dad rather than PM do it?
I’m wondering what was going on at the house in the weeks before the murders. Were items missing/stolen? Were the girls feeling unsafe? I have a feeling something must have changed

Have there been cases before where killers stalked their victims prior and actually stole something from them (before killing them)?

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members