ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels strange that I have been following this case for a month now. My heart hurts for the family and friends of all those involved who still have no answers. Unfortunately don’t think this will be resolved quickly - MOO.

I'm solidly Gen X, and I don't think a baseball hat has left my head since 1989. High School, College, right now in my office ... ball cap.
I am so stuck on this

Press release from Nov 14: (day after murders)
The Moscow Police does not believe there is an ongoing community risk based on information gathered during the preliminary investigation.

Press release from December 12:
Regarding the safety of the public, police recommendations for safety measures are good reminders in general, and in light of what has happened in this community. These reminders are not an indication of a specific or elevated risk to the community.

What information could they have learned so quickly after the murders that could justify staying this?
I dunno the answer to your question. But the last time I saw LE say that was the Murdaugh murders. Turns out they arrested the husband/father. There's no guarantee that the killer is this close to the victims but it's a possibility they have an idea what's going on.

I looked at that picture with a magnifying glass. The drips are clearly visible, dripping down on the cabinet (or door, whatever) but if you look at the piece of (what I assume to be) wood directly above those drips, there aren't "matching" drips that would be part of the path of the drip downwards if the drips came from immediately above. The drips that are visible are dark enough to be seen clearly and I would think that they would be just as easy to see on the piece of wood above it, if they were there. JMO
No, I agree, if that is blood, it came from somewhere other than the wood directly above. There may have been a stream that dripped to the top of the cabinet outside of the picture (avoiding the wood above.)

That picture is why I’ve been hesitant to believe that the 3rd floor girls were definitely found together, or that they were both found in Maddie’s room.

Thanks. I see the fridge handle. Wonder what kind of chemical they would use and just let it run over and drip and if LE spilled something, would they have to clean it up or just mark it "spilled by ___".

Based on some of the earlier pictures it looks like there were some items on that counter that ended up on the table in the later pictures. I'm wondering if they did spill something when moving those items, since it reminded myself (and others), of when I spill on my counter, and it runs under the ledge and onto the cabinet door.

ADMIN NOTE:

Have spoken with Tricia about the Banfield interview with CM.

As Chris McDonough is no longer an approved source at Websleuths, we are not allowing linking to the Banfield interview with him, or any discussion of the content of that interview.

If/when the same information surfaces in other MSM, we will then allow such discussion.

Any questions, please do not ask on the public thread. Thank you !!

I always laugh when I see the term "drug cartel" broached as a possible solution -- until I remember that drug involvement informed my first theory of the crime.

It seems to have been discredited, and yet...

This kind of mayhem.

Or it was borrowed by a family member and they can’t bring themselves to suspect or incriminate the borrower. For example, a college-aged person borrowed their grandmother’s white Elantra. Grandmother hears about the murders, then later the car information is released and she can’t bring herself to believe grandson is responsible or report her grandson to police.

It could also be borrowed from a friend and there is a belief they would be “snitching.” Snitches get stitches, or end up in ditches…etc.
Interesting point! Especially knowing the gruesomeness of the murders that person has committed. They've already killed four, what's one more type of ideology. What a horrifying situation to be in as the lender of the car if this is true. JMO

It's really not. Say the killer wanted to kill either Kaylee or Maddie. He goes in the room, finds them both in the same room. At this point he either aborts or just kills them both since he can't just ignore the other one. Either Ethan and Xana wake up from the sounds upstairs, go check it out and run into the killer going down the stairs in the living room (police seemed to be inspecting that area pretty heavily and stepping over something big). Now he has no choice but to kill them both because they might have recognized him. Or at the very least would have made his escape far more difficult.
Again, according to the LE and the coroner all the victims were attacked when they were asleep. That does not fit into your theory.

I’ve changed my opinion on this one. I believe this was sexually motivated in that the offender got some gratification from basically mutilating K. K was the first target, and M was eliminated so he could focus on her. X was the next target, and he was going to do the same thing to her that he did to K, but when E was being attacked, X woke up and put up a fight. His plans with X went wrong, so he left without attacking the other roommates.

I initially thought it was someone close to them, but the Hyundai makes me think it was likely a stranger or someone they just knew in passing. If someone in their close circle drove that Hyundai then they would have found them day 1.

IMO the offender shares a psychological profile with someone like the Monster of Florence and will strike again if not apprehended. MOO

MOO but if the Elantra was at the gas station then it's very likely they would know who is driving it. 1. If they bought gas they either 1. used a credit card... ( traceable) or 2. had to pay inside with cash which requires interacting with another human who is a witness.. a purchase other than gas would require interaction with another human even if they paid in cash.. is the A and W and gas station open between 4 and 6 am?
Good point on stopping for gas. I saw a map of known video cameras in that are and assumed they were looking at the traffic going by, not necessarily at the gas pump, wild if they did gas up, use the store or buy A&W!

Thanks. I see the fridge handle. Wonder what kind of chemical they would use and just let it run over and drip and if LE spilled something, would they have to clean it up or just mark it "spilled by ___".
I wonder if tenants spilled a slurpee or strawberry margarita etc. previously, it ran over the counter, when the wiped it up they missed the part that rolled down to the cabinet?

Agree. Are LE being secretive about where Ethan and Xana were between 9 PM and 1:45 AM? It is the missing piece. I think SG knows more than we know about E and X. "He didn't have to go upstairs."
I'm not sure what he knows, but I know from that line what he thinks. Explains a lot and is getting close to my theory.

I am so stuck on this

Press release from Nov 14: (day after murders)
The Moscow Police does not believe there is an ongoing community risk based on information gathered during the preliminary investigation.

Press release from December 12:
Regarding the safety of the public, police recommendations for safety measures are good reminders in general, and in light of what has happened in this community. These reminders are not an indication of a specific or elevated risk to the community.

What information could they have learned so quickly after the murders that could justify staying this?
I recall there was an extremely brief shelter in place, like 30 or 40 minutes. I think it’s possible there was a preliminary theory that did not pan out. For instance, LE confirmed at a press conference that the possibility of murder-suicide had been explored at one time. Or perhaps they had what they considered to be a very likely suspect and were actively questioning or surveilling him on day one. Or perhaps they felt they had enough evidence already to suggest the attack was personal enough to be narrowly targeted or at least not indicative of a spree killing such that they felt comfortable there was no immediate increased risk and the public initially interpreted that to mean there was not a potential serial killer at large. And perhaps there was greater than average pressure to reassure the community due to the student population and scale of the crime. JMO.

Should add: one or all incel. Obsessed with media gore, murder, violence. Book smart but socially inept. Poor parental attachment. Flew under the radar despite brilliance. Violent and secretive group activity prior to murders involving animals. Adrenaline junkies for the anticipation, not the act. Act equals intimacy equals libido exhaustion. Must be stopped before identifying next target(s).
Same types as Leopold and Loeb.

I think that's entirely possible. I can't get my head around how slick these murders were. This person REALLY knew what they were doing, and given the magnitude of what they were about to do, along with the associated risks, still went right ahead and did it. A very confident and experienced person in a field involving stealth and murder - MOO. Whilst there were advantages to committing this crime at night, there would have been big disadvantages also - particularly lack of light. Maybe one of those fortunate indivi
duals who can see reasonably well in darkness (Around 50% of people can see in darkness - the degree varies.) Refer this link www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/268281. Night goggles - a possibility.Maybe lots of practice in moving around steathily at night. Maybe an associate of the victims who happened top have a military background or siimilar, or a "knife for hire". The use of a knife IMHO was in order to avoid likelihood of murders being immediately discovered, but also potentially to leverage the "horror" value of these murders - maybe a latent message there for others. MOO

Such a beautifully written, and utterly compelling post. I am so very sorry that you have experienced such a loss.. Who could blame this poor man for trying to get answers.
Your text touched my heart. my husband recently died and it has rocked my world. 3 months ago and I am still a mess.
This family is greiving so hard. They’re trying to be strong. They want answers and who can blame them.
Try and be kind these familes are going through hell.
My heart and prayers hope they someday find some kind of peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong