ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Former prosecutor - it would depend a lot on the facts of the case, but generally, I was taught to provide the bare minimum information to victims/families. I frequently withheld important information because it would be more powerful if a witness found out about during the trial.

If I had a victim's family member disclosing sensitive information to the media (especially pre-arrest), they would be cut off.

I would let the victims/witnesses sit down with me after a case was closed and ask whatever they wanted (and I would answer if it wasn't something I was legally forbidden from disclosing). But my job was to figure out the truth about what happened and, if appropriate, get a conviction. Helping victims heal was of significantly lower priority than the conviction (and usually didn't happen because the system is inherently deeply re-traumatizing, hence former prosecutor).
Please consider becoming verified here on WS. Welcome and thanks for your insight!

Exactly, it seems police work 101 to canvas all gas stations/biz cam footage in a large general area... how and why in the world was that overlooked?

I have to think there was a reason is all. No idea what that reason is though lol
There's so little traffic on the roads from 3 to 5 am in a town of 25,000 , that you'd think if they got every camera footage, the killer must be on it somewhere. Probably just a few 100 cars. Mostly Ubers and taxis I guess.

If he's not on camera, then he must've walked to the house from close by.

Just bringing this back up because I'm seeing alot of posts stating that they were not looking for video surveillance at the beginning, but he state's that they were in the attached video.
Yes I don't think it is accurate to say they didn't seek out surveillance video until now. Even the clerk at the gas station said the cops had been in there asking for surveillance footage before and that they were down the road at another gas station the day after the murder. MOO

Also presumably the Elantra lead initially came from surveillance footage of some sort since it's not from the bodycam.

I’m curious if there were any Amazon echo devices in the rooms or house. I feel like these are pretty common and they often record audio that was not intended for Alexa. They store the voice history and you can also listen to those recordings that are recorded in error. I guess it’s something we would never know, but it’s something I would definitely look for in hopes something may have been caught from that night.
Excellent thought. They should check it against any ads or unusual things that show up on any device. Didn't they do an experiment where a homeowner mentioned having a cat as a test in ear shot of Alexa and suddenly cat product ads started showing up on his computer?

I find it hard to believe that LE doesn't have some kind of information on this car by now. It's not as if this is a small story where people aren't hearing anything. Surely someone, if not the occupants, or someone aware of the car have come forward. If the occupants have direct knowledge of the crime, unless they were involved, you would think they would have come forward. If they were involved, then someone who knows them would have come forward with knowledge of the car?
Agree, although it seems like a powder keg kind of situation, which may discourage some from coming forward if they may be unsure if what they know or suspect is important, or they have their reasons for keeping quiet.... hoping LE gets what they need from potential witnesses to help sort through the "22,000" registered vehicles they said fit their criteria.

My heart hurts for these families!! Honestly I’m not sure what I would do in his shoes…he’s completely broken, maybe the media needs to back off and give them some room.

Yes I'm not judging him at all, I just wish he would understand how these things work and that his actions could actually hinder, and not help things. JMO

just re bit in bold

In reference to Alivea Goncalves' comments about those calls/texts to Jack & Steve's comments on the family guessing Kaylee's passwords or ' hacking her phone' & 'shared family passwords' as he's already mentioned and the Goncalves saying that ' Jack is with us now' don't you think the Goncalves already checked out the nature of the content of the contacts with Jack?
Of course. And I’m sure LE did as well.

From last press release:
“Detectives continue investigating what occurred from approximately 9 p.m. on November 12th to 1:45 a.m. on November 13th, when Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were believed to be at the Sigma Chi
house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. Any interactions, contacts, direction and method of travel, or anything abnormal could add context to what occurred.”

So did they officially close the gap in E and X’s timelines ? “Direction and method of travel” seems odd to me because if they were at the sigma chi house all night …they would simply be traveling home at 1:45 which is like a 5 min walk.

From last press release:
“Detectives continue investigating what occurred from approximately 9 p.m. on November 12th to 1:45 a.m. on November 13th, when Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were believed to be at the Sigma Chi
house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. Any interactions, contacts, direction and method of travel, or anything abnormal could add context to what occurred.”

So did they officially close the gap in E and X’s timelines ? “Direction and method of travel” seems odd to me because if they were at the sigma chi house all night …they would simply be traveling home at 1:45 which is like a 5 min walk.
Replying to my own post with MOO…I think it’s possible that E and X were inside the white Hyundai , for whatever reason. I don’t know how it’s all linked.

I don’t think someone woke up one day & said “I think I’ll murder four ppl today.”
I do think it was an escalation. Perhaps spying, breaking in to start.
Definitely testosterone & rage filled. Jmo

The thread will reopen in about an hour to give members time to read the following and "Like" the post to indicate you have read and understood.

The following is not allowed:

Sleuthing or encouraging sleuthing individuals who are not officially named POIs and are not suspects at this time

Generalized bashing of or attempts to discredit LE or make insinuations/accusations about them when members have no knowledge of what LE has or has not done, what they know or do not know

Insinuations about a potential attempt at cover-up by the U of I is not based on any known fact, is wild speculation and is off limits

Members can not bring “comments” by the general public into this discussion. They are considered rumor and your post will be removed and member may face a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

NO LINK, NO POST !! Even screenshots require a link.

“Opinion articles” are not allowed. Members are encouraged to form their own opinions based on what we know via MSM or LE, scholarly or other approved sources, not based on opinions of thousands of others throughout the WWW.

Hyper-focusing or nit-picking and bickering about things that don’t matter .. i.e. if someone uses a word that you think should have been another word. Scroll and roll and roll your eyes in the privacy of your home .. no need for everything that goes through your head to end up on your keyboard.

New members MUST read The Rules of this site that they agreed to upon registering at Websleuths. Ignorance of our law is no excuse ;)

Once again, a reminder to "Like" this post to indicate you have read and understood the above.

Thanks everyone.

Sillybilly
WS Administrator

The owner of a property near the home where four University of Idaho students were slaughtered last month told Fox News Digital he turned over surveillance video showing a white car zoom by around the time of the murders.

Moscow, Idaho, detectives reached out to landlord KF Nov. 14 and asked for surveillance footage recorded from a camera perched on top of his six-unit rental building on Linda Lane, which is .3 miles from the murder scene.

"I downloaded it and gave them access to everything from 2 a.m. through noon on that Sunday the 13th,"

The car, which F described as both "white" and "light colored" traveled west on Taylor Road sometime between 2:45 a.m. and 3:15 a.m., he said. Only a side view of the car is visible in the footage.

It's unclear if the white car in the footage is the same Hyundai Elantra investigators are trying to track down.

Latest MPD update with info on the search for video and the Elantra:

12-15-22-Moscow-Homicide-Update

Moscow Homicide Update

The Moscow Police Department is providing the following information to update the public on the
known facts surrounding the four murders that occurred on November 13th in Moscow, Idaho.
MOSCOW, Idaho – Investigators are sorting through 22,000 registered 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantras that
fit into the search criteria and thank the public for providing additional information about the vehicle.
Tips and leads led investigators to ask the public for additional help in searching for a white 2011-2013
Hyundai Elantra in the immediate area of the King Road residence during the early morning hours of
November 13th. Investigators believe the occupant(s) of this vehicle may have critical information to
share regarding this case.

Investigators are sorting through significant amounts of video content and have received valuable leads
on the 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra, but still ask for more information from the public. Digital Media
Video can be submitted at fbi.gov/moscowidaho or tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.
See an interview about video collected during the investigation and an update on the white 2011-2013
Hyundai Elantra recorded today, December 15, 2022 on the Moscow Police YouTube Channel with
Captain Roger Lanier with the Moscow Police Department who is in charge of the Operations Division of
the King Road Homicide Investigation at:

From the beginning, Moscow Detectives have asked for any and all video from residents and businesses
within the area of West Taylor Ave (north boundary), West Palouse River Dr (south boundary), Highway
95 south to the 2700 block of Highway 95 S (east boundary), and Arboretum & Botanical Garden (west
boundary) who have video surveillance at their residence or business between 3 a.m. to 6 a.m.
on Sunday, November 13, 2022. Detectives are requesting all available video – whether there
appears to be motion and content or not.

The owner of a property near the home where four University of Idaho students were slaughtered last month told Fox News Digital he turned over surveillance video showing a white car zoom by around the time of the murders.

Moscow, Idaho, detectives reached out to landlord KF Nov. 14 and asked for surveillance footage recorded from a camera perched on top of his six-unit rental building on Linda Lane, which is .3 miles from the murder scene.

"I downloaded it and gave them access to everything from 2 a.m. through noon on that Sunday the 13th,"

The car, which F described as both "white" and "light colored" traveled west on Taylor Road sometime between 2:45 a.m. and 3:15 a.m., he said. Only a side view of the car is visible in the footage.

It's unclear if the white car in the footage is the same Hyundai Elantra investigators are trying to track down.

Neighbors are warming up to the press. Was just a matter of time. The more time goes by the more anxiety builds within the community. They want a suspect named and convicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member